Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#711041 - 10/29/04 08:26 AM Axis finally get a real panzer!  
Tomcat84 Offline
Tomcat84  Offline

now theyll just have to manage to research it \:\(

Intel Core i5-4660K @ 4.3 ghz
8 GB (2 x 4GB) DDR 3
EVGA GeForce GTX 770 SC
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#711042 - 10/30/04 08:18 AM Re: Axis finally get a real panzer!  
Tomcat84 Offline
Tomcat84  Offline

bah!

\:\(

8 GB (2 x 4GB) DDR 3
EVGA GeForce GTX 770 SC
#711043 - 11/03/04 03:25 PM Re: Axis finally get a real panzer!  
Pisis Offline
Pisis  Offline

Prague
Nice! Unfortunately I know nothing about WWIIOL. I discovered it today... \:o What is it exactly?
check this

S! Pisis

#711044 - 11/03/04 08:26 PM Re: Axis finally get a real panzer!  
KC23 Offline
KC23  Offline

Canyon Country, CA, USA
It is a massive multi-player game of combined arms set in the Battle of France.

If you like quick paced FPS this is NOT the game for you. Long learning curve and many unexplained deaths early in the curve.

OTOH, I've been addicted to it since June 2001 and play it well over 30 hours a week.

This game isn't better with team work it requires it. They have 14 day free trails all the time. Tune ch 99 on the radio and ask lots of questions when you first try the live server.

Try and get used to the commands off line before going in live to save you a lot of frustration.

Finally ask on ch 99 for a squad to run with and get Teamspeak. Once you get teamspeak you can listen to whats going on and get answers to questions via voice instead of endless typing.

Ken "KC23" Cook
#711045 - 11/05/04 07:14 PM Re: Axis finally get a real panzer!  
Canuck Offline
Canuck  Offline

Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
This games sucks!!!!! ;\)

hmmmmm........must be why I've played it for 2 years now and haven't bought another game!!!!! \:D \:D

Canuck (aka Canukplf online)

SINE MENS, SINE DOLOR
Ain't nothing in this World for free except oxygen, and even that is wasted on some!!!
#711046 - 11/14/04 09:28 PM Re: Axis finally get a real panzer!  
SGT Impaler Offline
SGT Impaler  Offline

Ohio
Quote:
Originally posted by Canuck:
This games sucks!!!!! ;\)

hmmmmm........must be why I've played it for 2 years now and haven't bought another game!!!!! \:D \:D
I been playing since day 1 and have only bought 2 other pc games since.

#711047 - 11/15/04 07:25 AM Re: Axis finally get a real panzer!  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Expect to pay dearly for playing, the subscription is cheap, but the ever creeping sytem requirements call for regular hardware upgrades.

Build a fast machine today, it will be a slug in 18 months or less with this game.

#711048 - 11/15/04 08:44 AM Re: Axis finally get a real panzer!  
Wklink Offline
Permanent Latrine Orderly
Wklink  Offline
Permanent Latrine Orderly
Hotshot

Olympia, Washington
plummer, you are just a bastion of positivity tonight aren't you.

All games take advantage of newer hardware. If this game continued to have the same hardware requirements it needed three years ago then we would all be wailing about how bad the game looks.

The updates in the engine require newer end hardware. It should require a newer end machine 18 months from now. At least they have improved the graphics and the gameplay substantially. Heck IL2FB and PF require a much better machine than the original IL2 required. That's the way it goes. WBIII requires much more than WB 2.5 did, AHII requires more than AHI, FA 3.5 requires more than FA 2.x. This really is WW2 Online 2.0, it just never got a new name. Compare this to the original game, there is little resemblance these days.

The artist formerly known as SimHq Tom Cofield
#711049 - 11/15/04 08:51 AM Re: Axis finally get a real panzer!  
Zero2Hero Offline
Zero2Hero  Offline

Plummerx

Thats because of the ENORMOUS Viewable distances in the game and its something people who want to be involved with the HOBBY ARE GONNA HAVE TO DEAL WITH.

if you dont want to upgrade every 18 months you may want to find another hobby,Me personally Im glad CRS has deceided to move ahead with the game instead of trying to cater to the "I want to run it on p2350/286 and a 56k modem crowd" ,its the only way the game is gonna survive make no mistake about it.

People with low end hardware are the minority now and CRS has FINALLY caught on,you cant stop progress and thats whats happening at CRS "FINALLY"

they finally realised they were losin to many subscribers with mid to high end gear because of the low end "I Dont wanna upgrade crowd"whining

Ive been reading your posts for years and Ive agreed with a LOT of your opinions but on this one your just wrong,Hobbies cost money and this one is no different, just recently I upgraded my system for not much more than a high end video card,new mobo, new cpu(3ghz) and new memory.You may wanna start saving up because CRS is not standing still any longer.It means their very survival as a company.

#711050 - 11/15/04 09:37 AM Re: Axis finally get a real panzer!  
Tomcat84 Offline
Tomcat84  Offline

lol plummerx, i dont believe ya \:\)

He who shall not be named is actually expecting FPS to go up in terrain 2, haha.

8 GB (2 x 4GB) DDR 3
EVGA GeForce GTX 770 SC
#711051 - 11/15/04 06:43 PM Re: Axis finally get a real panzer!  
Canuck Offline
Canuck  Offline

Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Well I have to agree with the majority here.........this game is the one reason why I upgraded my machine from a celron800 64vid card and 256ram to a intel p3 128vid and 512ram soon to be a gig.

Its just the way of the world........as the technology gets better so do the toys and the toys needed to run the toys. \:D

Canuck (aka Canukplf online)

SINE MENS, SINE DOLOR
Ain't nothing in this World for free except oxygen, and even that is wasted on some!!!
#711052 - 11/15/04 10:51 PM Re: Axis finally get a real panzer!  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Don't ignore that idea that the entire playerbase doesn't have pockets as deep as yours.

This game depends on mass appeal, and making it to costly to play is another way is brings itself down.

BTW, My machine runs IL-2FB and lomac very nicely than you.

But it is often laid low by WWII online.

Killer stated that the system req's would increase next summer.

If you build or upgrade now, you could very well be obsolete by CRS stadard in less that a year.

Meanwhile, calls for perofomance passes, and thing like getting rid of ground ai to offest the performance hit go unheeded.

Gamers can be a non sensical lot.
But if you want to pooh pooh me becuase I think spending major bucks to deal with the next patch, and then having to do it again in less than a year, on a machine I built to play this game, and just spent big on a vid upgrade on (to little effect)is not really very smart, nro smart on CRS's part if they wish to attract and retian players, so be it.

This game does NOT have mass appeal.
It will NEVER have ther graphics or instant gratification to do so.

It relies on a relatively small customer base, and small potetial subscriber base.

Anything you do that cuts players out in hopes of getting others to replace them is risky.

I'm not saying never put players in a position to have to upgrade, but I AM saying that IMO, CRS is going to the well to often, and drinking too deep.

Performance optimization has seeminly taken a back seat.

#711053 - 11/16/04 01:04 AM Re: Axis finally get a real panzer!  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Gophur casts some light on the subject:

Q:What kind of FPS hit are we talking about on a midrange PC, with the player visability at high? A Mac?

A:"Midrange is tough. The reports so far break down pretty much into these types of catagories:
1-Gig CPU or less, you want low. Now I actually run my gig mac at medium with no hassels and often at high. On high I go from ~30s to ~10s, depending on whats being drawn. Infantry are the cheapest to dra, tanks and planes being much more complex, state wise as well as polygons, are more expensive. A gig of ram and a decent vid card could make the difference in this catagory.
2-Got a gig to 2 gigs med usually. More ram again helps here. Framerate drops here are mostly negligible for this type of machine. 5-7 seems to be the average. This is double the visible players of the above set but that can be misleading especially once we move up from here. Our expectations are that 95% of the players will be at this level or higher. KILLERS and MOs junk gig PC boxes are happy in this area with 512 DDR or a gig of PC133.
3-got more than a 2 gig, got ram got vid? you're dong fine here. beta reports show little frame rate here, maybe 10 fps, but these are guys who can average 75+ fps easily. The additional players here aren't as big a jump as the medium step.
Keep in mind also that as you see this, the first thing you are going to notice is more friendlies. The biasing for all groups is the same and is focused on enemies. Once that bias is filled you begin to fill from other groups that are not managed in a bias system. This means you'll get more airplanes overhead, more people in your area, both friendly and enemy, depending on radius."

Q: Can players on the low vis setting expect to be whacked by players able to run the high setting, with any degree of regularity,

A:"In most circumstances no. Your biasing system is targettes towards enemies. It reserves a small percentage of friendlies to your pool and fills the rest with targets that are of the classes most likely to do you harm. Say you're a tank, your primary biases are other tanks and then infantry, closest first. Seeing more tanks won't stop you seeing the closest tanks first and those are the guys that are likely to kill you.
There are instances where things can get screwy, the current vis limits show this, as you get killed by things you didn't see. From an observational point, not seeing is not always the same as not visible.
That said, there are instances that you can get in that will give the guy at medium an opportunity to see you more often when you don't see him. These situations generally involve a large number of primary targets in close proximity. That number is bigger, but not by much. The bias list for both people ius the same so you're both going to fill it up at the same time. The medium guy is going to have more spots to fill so he's going to start filling them with whatever is closest to him.
Bottom line for the low guy is that his experience wil not drastically change. He is alreday being killed by people he does not have on his update list."

Q:Will the problem grow as the size of the battles grow?

A:"No. Your closest primary, secondary and tertiary targets will still be at the top of your list, they will still be the ones closest to you and stil be the ones most likely to cause you harm.
As a ground pounder, the most common things you'll see with increase player vis limit is more friendlies near by (you'd be surprised ho big some battles are once the enemies aren't eating all your vis slots) and you'll see more air above. You'll be drawing and tracking more enemies, but most of the time they aren't in close enough proximity tohat you would see them. The kicker to the feature is immersion and less blinking in and out."
WWIIOL

My response:

"Fair enough gophur.
You answered all my questions with great precision, and some of my concerns are now proven unfounded.
Others will have to wait until I actually play the new version."

#711054 - 11/18/04 08:10 PM Re: Axis finally get a real panzer!  
RainMan Offline
Non-Indoctrinated
RainMan  Offline
Non-Indoctrinated

Norman, Oklahoma, USA
Nice Panzer IV! But I am not too fond of the camouflage pattern. The colors are off a tad, too. Being a scale modeler, these little details bug me!

But, having played WWIIOnline long time ago, I am curious if the Panzer IV as also 3D interior... if so, can anyone post some screens showing it?

PC: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz @ 4.6GHz | MSI GTX 980 4GB | ASUS Maximus VII Hero | G.SKILL Trident X Series 32GB RAM | 27" Acer Monitor (2560x1440) | 512GB Samsung 850 PRO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Official VKB North America Sales & Support

Moderated by  Meatsheild, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Headphones
by RossUK. 04/24/24 03:48 PM
Skymaster down.
by Mr_Blastman. 04/24/24 03:28 PM
The Old Breed and the Costs of War
by wormfood. 04/24/24 01:39 PM
Actors portraying British Prime Ministers
by Tarnsman. 04/24/24 01:11 AM
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.