Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#708830 - 09/12/01 05:09 PM Clock is Running  
Tailspin 2 Offline
Tailspin 2  Offline

Well, better change that to clock will start ticking on the free 30-day period whne 1.25 is install on the servers. I don't see it out there yet. The week of Oct 7th is when pay for play is suppose to start. At least some folks have 1.25 already. I think they got it from the FTP site.

Rank is suppose to be up and running and you start out as a private. The persistent world is suppose to be running within a few weeks, if I remember right.

Wouldn't be surprised if 1.30 comes out the week before pay for play.

Don't know what to think about this now. The Rats surprised us with boats and they were suppose to come a few months after pay for play started. Not sure if they have a few more surprises up their sleeves or not. I think that they will meet what was printed on the box, though I can't say it will necessarily work well on everyone's machine.

[This message has been edited by Tailspin 2 (edited 09-12-2001).]

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#708831 - 09/13/01 02:11 AM Re: Clock is Running  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

But is it too little, Too Late?

------------------
~Rookie

#708832 - 09/14/01 03:49 AM Re: Clock is Running  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

reports on the forums, from those that are actually playing games, is that it still sucks.

#708833 - 09/14/01 04:47 AM Re: Clock is Running  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
WW2OL is now officially over and kaput as far as I am concerned. Went to the forum and saw that they had a new patch out. Supposed to even have boats in it. Got in the game and immediately was hit with FPS problems and a few minutes later, the server went down. I had been having decent frames after having problems before. I even went and installed the new detonator 4 drivers that everyone had been bragging about. While flying, I was under 10 fps when I entered any area with activity. Even in a tank, my FPS were bad.
Guess I have been trying to find a way to convince myself that I was not interested in this sim anymore. This definately made my mind up for me since the clock on the 30 day free trial has supposedly begun with the latest patch.
IL2 demo looks so good after WW2OL. Everything runs so smooth and looks great. I hopped into a 109 in WW2OL and came right out and got into the 109 in IL2. The difference was astounding! I had forgotten how bad the FM was in WW2OL.
Don't wish any bad luck onto the Rats at Strategy First, but for me, WW2OL is now only a memory.

#708834 - 09/14/01 06:33 AM Re: Clock is Running  
REB63 Offline
REB63  Offline

Republic of Texas
It was such a GREAT idea.
What a pity that it wasn't properly realized.
Maybe one day......

#708835 - 09/14/01 08:06 AM Re: Clock is Running  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'd like to support it, but since 1.22 I've been CTD quick regularly ... typically only get about 20 minutes or so. I'm afraid this project is looking to be in some serious trouble.

#708836 - 09/16/01 06:46 AM Re: Clock is Running  
castiglione Offline
castiglione  Offline

Houston, Texas, United States ...
Man, that's a stone cold bummer.

------------------
"...you must remember that one day that Russian pilot was the baby son of a beautiful Russian girl. He has his right to life and love the same as we do."

-Gerd Barkhorn

"Hello! How are you gentlemen?

You have no chance to survive, make your time!"
#708837 - 09/18/01 04:17 AM Re: Clock is Running  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

well, i have been playing for months now myself, and i have had no ctd's of blue sky bugs since 1.22 patch ! I have terrible fps when flying still tho , so i have become a member of the ground ops crew ! My fps is still not that great, but it doesnt hamper my fighting skills on the ground at all . I have a low end system by today's gameing standards , but i am still able to loggon and play for hours on end . I have come to grips with the game as she stands now, and i realize that it will only get better in time . I am willing to spend my 10 bones a month now if i have too . I will consider it to be an investment in a game i trully hope will succeed ! In short, i am having fun playing . And that is what online gameing is all about .

#708838 - 09/19/01 12:47 PM Re: Clock is Running  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well......I have to say that I will not pay the 10 bucks a month to continue with WWIIOL.
It's been interesting, but I'll just wait to see how it all turns out. If it never get's better than it is now ( FPS and other problems ) I don't have the time for it.
I hope they make it though.

#708839 - 09/19/01 04:46 PM Re: Clock is Running  
Revvin Offline
Revvin  Offline

United Kingdom
My squad took part in the Warbirds III month and never looked back, we voted to stay in Warbirds III as WW2OL is just not worth it even at $10. $10 can buy me subscription to other sims which are far more enjoyable so for now I'll stick with Warbirds and Aces High and wait and see if WW2OL ever comes close to being what wasadvertised on the box.

I'm really dissapointed by the way CRS have handled alot of things as I really believed CRS would deliver what I had dreamed about since Spectrum Holobyte released Falcon 3.0...a virtual battlefield. They came close and who knows what they might deliver in the future but right now I cannot justify paying for a product that frustrates me so much, after all this is suppossed to be recreation is it not?

#708840 - 09/21/01 01:21 AM Re: Clock is Running  
Tailspin 2 Offline
Tailspin 2  Offline

Wondering myself if they will make it. I finally decided not to go with pay for play.

I played infantry for a while last night and I was averaging 16-26 fps with some pausing in a town that was almost off the map. Since I was there to fly and it looks I won't for a long time, just finally decided that this game won't be ready for a long time and I need to find another flight sim. Guess I'll go with IL-2 for now and hope Target:Rabaul works out.

I really like flying in completely dynamic environment of the online mega player environments but tired of Warbirds and Aces High type environment where all you do is kill or be killed and see who can rack up the highest score. The more challenging environments, were they reduce icon range and such, most folks don't want to play.

Oh well, was really looking forward to flying in WWIIOL. Maybe in a few years, if they survive.

#708841 - 09/21/01 04:04 PM Re: Clock is Running  
Revvin Offline
Revvin  Offline

United Kingdom
Strat was one of the big lure's WW2OL had for me but in all honesty can you say what they have in WW2OL now is any better than the tired old 'capture the flag' type scenarion in Warbirds or Aces High or Fighter Ace? Aces High is about to get AI convoys to supplement the additional strat objects such as factories for various resources and Warbirds III is soon to get its strat update so where will that leave WW2OL when they are still trying to implement the features they advertised on the box? The rank system is no more than a glorified scoreboard and an indication of who can spend the most time online as does the scoring system in Warbirds and Aces High.

There are still no allied bombers in WW2OL and won't be for a while yet so the best you can hope for is mindless furball's as long as not too many join or the FPS will kill you and not a cannon round and don't for one minute think of using cloud cover because again the FPS will bite you.

WW2OL offers no more strat than any other online sim out there IMO and while Hatch's open letter to the community might come to some as a rallying call to alot of us it looks almost like the last roll of the dice.

#708842 - 09/21/01 06:07 PM Re: Clock is Running  
Tailspin 2 Offline
Tailspin 2  Offline

No I can't honestly say it is any better than the rest right now. But I could have live with that for a year if the game was generally playable from a computer operation stand point.

If I have a P2 400, I might understand but I have a AMD 1.2 Mhz with 512 PC 133 Ram and a TnT2 Ultra card that I have to live with for another 4 to 6 months. WWIIOL was quite playable for me at 1st when I followed all the suggestions to tune up my PC. However, with my machine tune up, frame rates just get worse with each patch and pausing is starting to show up, so much so, that playing on the ground is starting to become unplayable. They still have a lot more stuff to add.

Forgetting the strategy part, it looks like options are starting to run out for megaplayer online games that have air combat. Can't play WWIIOL and I just saw a post at Targetware that Warbirds lost $385K for the last quarter and had $352K left in cash at that point. If that keeps up Warbirds III won't make it or it will get sold to another company that will water it down to attract more casual players.

#708843 - 09/21/01 11:02 PM Re: Clock is Running  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Check out Air Warrior over at http://www.EA.com

They are in the process of a new graphics update for the sim.

We get 300-400 flying per night and 100's to fly in Historical Scenarios.

Enjoy,

Mike "Jordi" Bowman

#708844 - 10/11/01 07:56 PM Re: Clock is Running  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well, my allowance is 50 dollars a week. (That is what I call my tip money)

So, I won't play with all the problems. I was soooooo looking forward to it too.

Tim

Moderated by  Meatsheild, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.