Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#693184 - 12/20/03 07:46 PM WFP 6.0 is up  
PatWilson Offline
PatWilson  Offline

usually centered in somebody e...
http://www.swwisa.net/wfp/

The web page has been updated so the download links work. Enjoy.

Also uploaded is Greybeards's FM. Link is operational.

WFP is now a self extracting executable. The download is half the size that it used to be. Installation is very simple, just run the executable and point it at the RedBarond3D install directory. Afterwards, follow instructions in the README to finish WFP setup.

The lucky man is the man who leaves as little to chance as possible.
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#693185 - 12/20/03 07:47 PM Re: WFP 6.0 is up  
PatWilson Offline
PatWilson  Offline

The 100 planes of WFP:
Albatros DI *
Albatros DII (Elephant ear radiator) *
Albatros DII (Center wing radiator)
Albatros DIII (Center wing radiator) *
Albatros DIII (Offset wing radiator)
Albatros DVa (160 HP)
Albatros DVa (185 HP) *
Fokker EIII
Fokker EIV *
Fokker DII *
Fokker DIII *
Fokker DRI
Fokker DVII
Fokker DVIIf *
Fokker DVIII *
Halberstadt DII
Pfalz EI *
Pfalz EII *
Pfalz DIII *
Pfalz DIIIa
Pfalz DXII
Roland DII *
Roland VIb *
SSW DIII *
SSW DIV *

AEG GII *
AEG GIV *
AEG CIV *
Albatros CI *
Albatros CIII
Albatros CV/16 *
Albatros CV/17 *
Albatros CVII *
Albatros CX *
Albatros CXII *
Aviatik CI
Aviatik CIII *
DFW CV *
Gotha GIV
Halberstadt CLII
Halberstadt CLIV *
Hannover CLIII
Junkers JI *
LVG CI *
LVG CII *
LVG CV *
Roland CLII
Rumpler CI *
Rumpler CIV

Hanriot HD.I *
Morane L Monoplace *
Morane N
Nieuport N10 *
Nieuport N11
Nieuport N17
Nieuport N24
Nieuport N28
SPAD VII (150 HP) *
SPAD VII (180 HP)
SPAD XIII

AR2 *
Breguet 14
Caudron GIV *
Caudron GVI *
Farman F40 *
Morane L Biplace *
Nieuport N12 *
Salmson 2a2
SPAD XI *
SPAD XVI *
Voisin LIII *

BE12 *
Bristol D *
DH2
Dh5 *
FE8 *
Nieuport N16 *
Nieuport N17 (Lewis gun) *
Nieuport N27 *
SE5 *
SE5a (Hispano Suiza) *
SE5a (Wolsey Viper)
Sopwith Camel (Clerget)
Sopwith Camel (Bentley) *
Sopwith Dolphin *
Sopwith Pup
Sopwith Triplane
Sopwith Snipe
Vickers Gunbus *

AWFK 8 *
BE2c
BE2e *
Bristol F2b
DH4
DH9 *
FE2b (120 HP) *
FE2b (160 HP)
Handley Page 0/100
RE8
Sopwith Strutter

* means not in the stock game

#693186 - 12/20/03 07:48 PM Re: WFP 6.0 is up  
PatWilson Offline
PatWilson  Offline

What the heck is it anyway:

WFP is an attempt to introduce as many planes to the Western Front as RB will allow. Using the Campaign Manager to swap different planes by setting the campaign date, you are able to fly many more planes than stock RB. There are also many more non-flyables as well. By swapping planes in and out of slots it extends the number of planes in the game from 38 to 100.

WFP offers what is quite possibly the most in depth WWI flight sim experience ever made available. It offers the best early and late war RB experience today (mid war is arguable ).
While using WFP really does not let you start a campaign any earlier than any other RB patch - August 1 1915 is the RB dawn of time - it does make starting a campaign at such an early date worthwhile. Instead of British planes in drag you will see real French 2 seaters like Farmans, Voisins, and Caudrons. The Germans get Pfalz Eindeckers to go along with their Fokkers and a bit later the Fokker D types and EIV are introduced to bridge 1916. Early war German 2 setares like the LVG C.I and C.II are also present. The British can fly the Gunbus early on along with some other scouts like the Bristol D or Martinsyde. The Morane L (Parasol) is also there.

Mid war is where RB stock has the best coverage, but even here WFP adds more. Some of the less well known but still important types are included, so you will see the DH5, FE8, A.W.F.K. 8, DH9, Roland DII, Dorand AR, AEG CIV and GVI, Hanriot HD1, and Caudron G6. We also use the extra slots to provide uniquely British versions of the Nieuport scouts, with top wing mounted Lewis guns instead of Vickers.

Later in the war you get some of the more unusual German types like the SSW DIII and DIV, Fokker DVIII and Roland DVI. The Sopwith Dolphin is also there. We also provide two distinct versions serving side by side of two very important planes: the Fokker DVII and DVIIf and the Sopwith Clerget and Bentley.

As the war progresses planes are upgraded in historically accurate ways. For instance, in the stock game the Albatros C.III and Aviatik C.I serve through the war. In real life these were withdrawn by 1917. In WFP we have the full range of Albatros 2 seaters from C.I to C.XII. The Aviatik C.I is replaced by the C.III and later the AEG C.IV. You will not be fighting a 1916 2 seater with a 1918 scout. Scout performance is similarly upgraded.

Camoflauge schemes change throughout the war too. This is particularly true of German planes that progress from buff to green/brown to green/mauve to lozenge.

Then there are some of the little details. The radiator in the Alb DIII starts in the center and then is moved to the right. The Pfalz DIII transitions into the DIIIa. The SE5a starts as the SE5, then becomes the Hispano Suiza powered SE5a and finally becomes te Wolsey Viper powered SE5a. Every plane has as a cockpit that is as close to accurate as possible. The details mentioned above are reflected inside the cockpit as well as outside. The SPAD VII starts at 150 HP and then gets 180 in 1917. Looks the same but it sure doesn't fly the same. There are many more examples of this throughout WFP.

Graphics quality, both outside and inside the plane, is excellent and still getting better. All 3d models are the latest available from SWWISA.

#693187 - 12/20/03 07:49 PM Re: WFP 6.0 is up  
PatWilson Offline
PatWilson  Offline

FAQ:
WFP whats and whys:

What is WFP?
WFP, or the Western Front Patch, is an attempt to represent the full range of aviation from August of 1915 until the end of WWI.

What does WFP offer?
WFP over RB3D offers more planes than any WWI flight sim to date. Every plane has its own FM, DM and 3d model. Every flyable has its own cockpit. It has the best 3d models available for RB3d and top notch graphics.

How many aircraft are represented in WFP:
100 aircraft types and subtypes are preresented?

How many aircraft are flyable in WFP?
There are 25 German, 18 British, and 10 French flyables, for a total of 53.

Why so few French flyables?
It's not an attempt to slight the French. The French tended to standardize on fewer aircraft, and SPADs dominated the French scout escadrilles from 1917 onwards. In fact, RB3D's actual slight of the French (using British 2 seaters in drag) is one of the first issues that WFP addressed. Note the large number of French 2 seaters that are not in the original game.

Why do I care about 100 planes?
Lots of reasons. It's fun to see the Western front in all of its variety. The first time you see a Martinsyde in combat is just a thrill. Also, WFP offers the player the chance to fly some of the more esoteric types like the BE12, DH5, Roland D.II, Sopwith Dolphin, Fokker D.VIII, and others. Finally, the matchups at any given date are more accurate than any WWI experience to date.

What about aircraft upgrades over time?
As you can see, WFP attempts to show this aspect of WWI aviation. SPADs move from 150 HP to 180, FE2bs from 120 to 160, Albatros DVas from 160 to 180. Where two major variations serverd side by side for long periods of time (Fokker DVIIand DVIIf for example), WFP allows them to serve concurrently.

Why is this important?
In my opinion, this aspect of WFP is not just important but critical. As aircraft received upgrades their performance improved. If this is not reflected then one has to "pick one and live with it", but this does not reflect the true state of aviation at a point in time. For example, the 180 HP SPAD VII is a big improvement on the 150. WFP allows the historically correct 150 to be pitted against the Albatros D.II while the 180 HP model comes on later to match up against the late 1917 German inventory. The Fokker E.III cannot catch a 160 HP FE2b, but it can certainly catch the 120 HP model that was in use during the Fokker Scourge of late 1915. Using the wrong variant at a point in time is every bit as inaccurate as using the wrong airplane!

What elase does WFP offer?
WFP also offers historically accurate changing camoflauge schemes over time. Germans start with white two seaters, then green/brown camoflauge creeps in, to be replaced by green/mauve and finally lozenge. The change from Maltese to Balkan cross is also represented. British planes change from buff to PC10.

What is not in WFP:

There are several items that are not included in WFP. The reason behind this exclusion is that those items not related to the actual aircraft are better left for the user to choose. This allows the user to select the terrain or sound patch of his choice.

Terrain. I use WFP installed over FCJ. This gives me FCJ's terrain, objects, and sound. Also available are older PromisedLand terrain sets and Rabu's terrain.

Sound: Besides FCJ, sound packs are availabe from Steve Fabert, older PromisedLand sounds, and others. Just ask.

Peripheral items: Ambulances, balloons, buildings, etc. Once again, there are a wide variety of items available that can be installed as separate patches.

Which patches should I avoid:
If you are using WFP, do not install any other patch that has planes in it. This includes HA and ROTJ. In general, large UOPs are mutually exclusive, ie. it is not good to mix HA nad ROTJ either. WFP can be safely installed over FCJ because FCJ is bundled in vol files. However, if FCJ service packs are installed, WFP should be unloaded and reloaded via CM.

Using WFP:

What do I need to run WFP?
You need Redbaron3D, the WFP patch, and CM11.

How does WFP get all of those planes in the game?
WFP swaps files in and out of RedBaron's simpatch folder to replace 3d models, bitmaps, and data files.

What is CM11 and where do I get it?
CM11 is von Tom's Campaign Manager. It is through CM11 that planes are swapped in and out of use in WFP. It can be downloaded from the WFP site.

Is WFP hard to use?
No. WFP depends on CM11. There are two keys to using WFP: the first is setting it up properly. There are detailed instructions in the WFP README as to how to do this. For a newcomer it might take about 10-30 minutes to follow the insructions step by step. This is a one time process when loading WFP for the first time. The second key aspect of using WFP is keeping files up to date. All you have to do is open your campaign in CM11 between missions and CM11 does the work for you.

#693188 - 12/20/03 08:41 PM Re: WFP 6.0 is up  
castiglione Offline
castiglione  Offline

Houston, Texas, United States ...
The link for downloading the campaign manager does not work.

"Hello! How are you gentlemen?

You have no chance to survive, make your time!"
#693189 - 12/20/03 09:13 PM Re: WFP 6.0 is up  
PatWilson Offline
PatWilson  Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by FlashGordon2000:
The link for downloading the campaign manager does not work.
It's fixed. Thanks for telling me.

#693190 - 12/20/03 10:31 PM Re: WFP 6.0 is up  
Edward Offline
Edward  Offline

Laguna Niguel, CA
Thanks very much Pat \:\) What a great Christmas present. Can't wait to try her out \:\)

S!
Edward

#693191 - 12/21/03 01:35 AM Re: WFP 6.0 is up  
Boom Offline
Boom  Offline

Culcairn
Superb Pat, I'm off to get it! Merry Christmas! \:\)

"Somewhere out there is page 6!"
"But Emillo you promised ....... it's postpone"
ASWWIAH Member
#693192 - 12/21/03 02:47 AM Re: WFP 6.0 is up  
Ivan Putski Offline
Hotshot
Ivan Putski  Offline
Hotshot

Memphis, Tn. U.S.A.
Thanks Pat, have a Happy Holidays. Puts

"Is he?....Yeah....Nothings moving but,his watch"

Ivan
"Half Bader"
Putski
#693193 - 12/21/03 05:16 AM Re: WFP 6.0 is up  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

100 aircraft and not a Zeppelin in sight!

What's a guy to do? ;\)

Don E.

#693194 - 12/21/03 03:26 PM Re: WFP 6.0 is up  
vonOben Offline
vonOben  Offline

Skåne, Sweden
An excellent Christmas present, Pat! \:\)

Thanks for all your hard work on WFP over the years. When was the first version released anyway? I've forgotten.....

Merry Christmas

vonOben

Wer den Tod fürchtet, hat das Leben verloren. /Johann Gottfried Seume

vonOben's Flight Sim Mods

EAW Newbie Tutorial

Finnish Air War
#693195 - 12/21/03 10:03 PM Re: WFP 6.0 is up  
Edward Offline
Edward  Offline

Laguna Niguel, CA
Pat, Just wanted to tell you how much I am enjoying WFP 6.0 \:\) The planes, the flight model and the damage model all are just superb \:D Thanks again for your efforts \:\)

S!
Edward

#693196 - 10/21/04 05:32 PM Re: WFP 6.0 is up  
Cas141 Offline
Cas141  Offline

Northern hemisphere
Quote:
Originally posted by PatWilson:
FAQ:
Is WFP hard to use?
No. WFP depends on CM11. There are two keys to using WFP: the first is setting it up properly. There are detailed instructions in the WFP README as to how to do this. For a newcomer it might take about 10-30 minutes to follow the insructions step by step. This is a one time process when loading WFP for the first time. The second key aspect of using WFP is keeping files up to date. All you have to do is open your campaign in CM11 between missions and CM11 does the work for you.
Pat - I have no doubt this is great when used properly but I am confused ( not hard ;\) )
I downloaded the WFP 6 exe version. I did not have CM11 on my HD.
I have loaded the WFP6 exe but there seems nothing for me to do with it. I have looked in all the folders available, but there seems no adjustment available to me.
Did I need to have CM11 on my HD before loadingthe wfp6 EXE?

Mankind's problem is not failing to know the difference between right and wrong; - It is failing to know the difference between different and wrong
#693197 - 10/22/04 03:01 AM Re: WFP 6.0 is up  
Birdbrain Offline
Birdbrain  Offline

Tallahassee, Florida
Hi Cas141. I thought I'd wait for Pat to respond, but he doesn't look in here regularly.

Yes, you need to install CM11 first, because the WFP 60.exe is made to install WFP to the Patches folder of CM11.

The readme on the WFP site and in the download is a little out of date. WFP used to come as a zip file that you had to manually unzip to ~RedBaron3D\cm11\patches. Pat posted a correction to this on the download page, that WFP is now a self-installin executable, and should be pointed to your main RB folder.

Other than that update, everything else in the readme is important to read and understand. WFP is a little tricky to set up, so follow it very closely.

I wonder where you installed it to? Can you find a folder called "wfp"? It should have two folders inside it called "date" and "Simpatch", plus the readme.doc and Slotmaster 6.0.xls.

As ever,
Birdbrain
#693198 - 10/22/04 09:05 AM Re: WFP 6.0 is up  
Cas141 Offline
Cas141  Offline

Northern hemisphere
Quote:
Originally posted by von Kesselberg:

I wonder where you installed it to? Can you find a folder called "wfp"? It should have two folders inside it called "date" and "Simpatch", plus the readme.doc and Slotmaster 6.0.xls.
Thanks for the reply, Von. This is what I have as the path.C:\SIERRA\RedBaron3D\CM11\Patches\wfp
In wfp are the four things you mention above.
When i open "date", I get a number of folders each with a number which looks like a date ( surprise \:\) ) e.g. 160815. Which i thought was the date 16 August 1915. Until i saw there are others like 160701
When I open Simpatch there are a lot of bmps.

I have read the readme , but I can't seem to do anything like the instructions say, ie update . Am I supposed to do anything at all?
I went back to CM11, which has many files in it, but I don't know what to do with them. I thought that CM11 exe needed activating so i double click it- all i get is "Path not found"
I remember from a year or so back using the origonal CM11 and vaguely that I managed to work it.Should I go back to loading it that way? I obviously have the CM11 zip- what else do i need if I do it the old way?

Thanks again

Mankind's problem is not failing to know the difference between right and wrong; - It is failing to know the difference between different and wrong
#693199 - 10/22/04 11:20 AM Re: WFP 6.0 is up  
Ivan Putski Offline
Hotshot
Ivan Putski  Offline
Hotshot

Memphis, Tn. U.S.A.
Thanks for the headsup Pat, Puts

"Is he?....Yeah....Nothings moving but,his watch"

Ivan
"Half Bader"
Putski
#693200 - 10/22/04 02:27 PM Re: WFP 6.0 is up  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Does this patch over top of Full Canvas Jacket?

#693201 - 10/22/04 06:27 PM Re: WFP 6.0 is up  
Birdbrain Offline
Birdbrain  Offline

Tallahassee, Florida
Quote:
Originally posted by Cas141:
[QUOTE]I went back to CM11, which has many files in it, but I don't know what to do with them. I thought that CM11 exe needed activating so i double click it- all i get is "Path not found"
Well this is strange. It sounds like everything is where it is supposed to be. So you click on the actual cm11.exe file and get "path not found", or are you clicking on a shortcut? Can you verify that cm11.exe is in the cm11 folder?

Yes, cm11.exe needs to be opened so that you get the cm interface where you do the things detailed in the readme.

As ever,
Birdbrain
#693202 - 10/22/04 06:29 PM Re: WFP 6.0 is up  
Birdbrain Offline
Birdbrain  Offline

Tallahassee, Florida
Quote:
Originally posted by mrfritz44:
Does this patch over top of Full Canvas Jacket?
Yes, it is possible to install WFP on top of FCJ.

As ever,
Birdbrain
#693203 - 10/22/04 09:59 PM Re: WFP 6.0 is up  
Cas141 Offline
Cas141  Offline

Northern hemisphere
Von Kess S!
I've managed to suss it. For other reasons ( Glidewrapper ) I did a fresh install of RB. I loaded CM 11 and then WFP and it all works now.
It hsa to have CM 11 loaded first, before the WFP 6 exe. To a newbie I don't think that is made clear, I got the impression that all you needed was the WFP 6 exe. Still - all is now Ok , and I thank you for your help.
Oh, how I wish that trackIR could be used with this sim. Why won't they release the code, it's not as if they were going to use it.?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.