Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#689502 - 10/13/02 01:56 AM If your hving trouble with Windows XP.........  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ok, I am (sorta) back from resetting my machine for Dual-Boot.
Some things I learned:

1. Legacy Windows Platforms (DOS 5.0 or higher, 95, 98, ME, 2000) *MUST* go on the C drive under "C:\DOS" or "C:\WINDOWS".

........If you try anything else, the computer beeps then locks up tight.

2. XP goes on D drive, in folder "WinXP" or something similar. *DO NOT* name the folder "D:\Windows"!!

3. The best way for dual boot is via 2 or more hard drives. Partitioning works, but can be full of headaches, since that one hard drive has *BOTH* NTSC & FAT32 on it.

This is quite handy! Don't like XP? Just remove the hard drive it's on! (You now have an emergency backup in case of hard drive failure!)

Q: "I have multiple monitors & a Geoforce card & Voodoo. It works fine, but when I exit RB, the game is "stuck" to the Voodoo's monitor & won't come off unless I resize the desktop for that monitor, which is a royal pain. Is there a fix?"
A: Yep!

Most computers do not allocate ROM support to your PCI Voodoo Card, and this could be one of the reasons your having difficulties. An easy work around for this is as follows:

1. Power down your computer & unplug it from the electric.

2. Unplug any monitors you may have plugged in as well.

3. Swap monitors so that the monitor attached to the Voodoo Card is going to be the one you use most often.

4. Hook the monitors back up & plug everything back in.

5. Boot the machine.

6. Open your computer's CMOS.

7. Under hardware, set your PCI Voodoo as the primary card. WARNING: If you don't know what your doing, GET A PROFESSIONAL. Serious dmage could result if you inadvertantly mess something up!

8. Reboot, saving the CMOS changes.

9. Allow Windows to detect everything.

Now, RB's menu *AND* gameplay are on the same screen, and no hangups or lockups occur!

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#689503 - 10/13/02 10:22 PM Re: If your hving trouble with Windows XP.........  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

BUMP

#689504 - 10/25/02 06:01 PM Re: If your hving trouble with Windows XP.........  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by VonHelton:
BUMP

Bump

#689505 - 11/01/02 05:31 PM Re: If your hving trouble with Windows XP.........  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

bump

#689506 - 11/21/02 12:54 AM Re: If your hving trouble with Windows XP.........  
Hardtale Offline
Hardtale  Offline

Just a few notes on what you already posted and some clarifications:

They can run just fine on different partitions of the same drive, just use FAT32 as the file system for XP (the option is given during the setup process). For the "general mutliboot" user there is no real advantage to using NTFS especialy if you want to share files with other non-NT based OS's on your network.

By defualt it will use X:\windows and you CAN use it as they exist on different partitions/drives and will not conflict with each other.

Also you can have as many OS's mutlibooting as you have drives and partitions.

Dual booting is extremely easy after installing (or if you already have it) your win9x on the primary boot partition (c .

All that really needs to be done is start the NT/2k/XP setup from within your 9x OS and it will walk you through the rest of the process.

Just tell it to install to another drive letter other than C:, and what file system you wish to use (FAT32 or NTFS)

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.