Rate This Thread
Hop To
#679581 - 12/05/05 05:16 PM PSF never to be retired again / message to GSC  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
As much enjoyment as I'm getting from sims like TAW (very immersive DC) and Strike Fighters (fantastic non-demanding graphics), PSF will never again be retired from my PC, unless it's updated.

If Graphsim releases a new "F/A-18 Korea" I'm assuming it'll be a continuation of the OIF code and IMO will probably not be a worthy successor to PSF (aka Korea Gold). Maybe they'll even target a different audience next time, as was the case with Rage's (what was left of DID) Eurofighter Typhoon. Who knows?

I'll plead with Graphsim yet again (assuming they occasionally peak at this board, the only active Graphsim developed sim board on the Internet) to go back to PSF/KG and begin making SMALL improvements, not the BIG improvements attempted with OIF.

Graphsim obviously didn't have the resources for making any major overhauls to HK when they developed OIF (i.e. poorly implemented "fully 3D" cockpit) so I plead with them to go back to what worked well and start from there.

Why not take TK's example of someone who cares about their product (TK recently posting pics of the clouds coming to SFP1 on the TW board)? BTW, Third Wire is another practically one man show as I understand it, and while SF is improving slowly, it IS improving!

Why can't Graphsim be more like this? Remember GSC, the loyalty of Hornet Korea fans many years ago (as I continue to read on old archived boards like CombatSim and on Usenet)? Wouldn't you like to have that respect back? It must have felt great huh, actually being PROUD of what you put on the shelf while taking people's money?

And reading mostly positive reviews like this one...
http://www.combatsim.com/memb123/archive/htm/htm_arc2/fa18_kor.htm

I'm afraid you're going to have to start with FREE patches for OIF (assuming you won't go back to the older Korea like you should, IMO). No more recycling (and while breaking) your old sim for a buck. Hopefully, you're doing well enough now with publishing F4:AF that you can afford to start supporting your own product (which you can't POSSIBLY be proud of at the moment).

Please consider what I'm saying, and I apologize if I'm coming off as too harsh. I wouldn't be making this post if I didn't think that PSF wasn't the cat's ass! \:\)

Pretzel, will we ever see a Desert Theater for PSF? \:\)
--

Mark

The rusty wire that holds the cork that keeps the anger in
Gives way and suddenly it’s day again
The sun is in the east
Even though the day is done
Two suns in the sunset, hmph
Could be the human race is run
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#679582 - 12/05/05 05:40 PM Re: PSF never to be retired again / message to GSC  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
And one more VERY IMPORTANT thing! As a one man show, get some help from the community. Take TK's example and open it up!

Look at the clouds in my PSF screenshots...
http://www.simhq.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=002219

All because the TGA cloud graphics were open for Pretzel to improve upon. Such a seemingly simple mod but one that I really appreciate! It makes a difference.

My dream sim would be a collaborative effort between Trey Smith and Tsuyoshi Kawahito which would give us the best of both sims. I guess that would be Hornet Korea with Strike Fighter's graphics, campaign and modabilty. Or a SF with HK's avionics, mission recorder/playback, mission editor. Would this be GREAT or what?!?! \:D
--

Mark

The sun is in the east
#679583 - 12/08/05 12:56 AM Re: PSF never to be retired again / message to GSC  
Pretzel Offline
Pretzel  Offline

Texas
Hello Mark...long time ?

Just wanted to show you that you can make new things with PSF. That is new aircraft.

This is my Mig-29. It was transformed from the SU-27. GSC left a MIg-33 code in there and I justed used that to make it fly along with the SU-27. Also in the process I seen how easy I could make a F-15 \:\) I may say streaching the polygons with the hex editor is no easy task. \:\(

The sad thing is it will proly not be relased because if some limiting issues in the right side vertical stabilizer. It been a real bear to get it to look correct.

Polys that where adjusted.
1.)Wings less sweep
2.)Elevators moved back and reshaped.
3.)Vertical sabilizers moved back and reshaped.
4.)Removed lower strakes
5.)Extended wing lex. Bleed threw problems prevented me to streatch past cockpit.
6.)ECM drouge chute reshaped.
7.)Missle rails shorten
8.)Repaint

Here is the comparison pics.

Mig-29

Su-27 Native

Pretzelworks - We dont make the sim, we make it better.
Soon to open > FA18Hornet.net and FA18SuperHornet.net
#679584 - 12/08/05 01:27 AM Re: PSF never to be retired again / message to GSC  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou

--

Mark

The sun is in the east
#679585 - 12/08/05 10:05 AM Re: PSF never to be retired again / message to GSC  
Mr B Offline
Mr B  Offline

Woah, woah woah. Backup. You hand edited polygons, with a hex editor?

Ohhhh I can feel my brain hurting just thinking about it. I gotta lie down \:D .

Nice work, thou of much patience .

Cheers

Mr B

#679586 - 12/10/05 09:47 AM Re: PSF never to be retired again / message to GSC  
Varmint Offline
Varmint  Offline

Hillsboro, OR
LOL,

Pretzel emailed me those pics, and I was floored, but told him he still had way too much time on his hands to hex-edit a model like that:)

Well done Pretzel! Now, if I can just get you to do some work for me on my F/A-18E project, I promise I won't make you use a hex editor:)

--Jon

Jon "Varmint" Blum
Vertical Reality Simulations
http://www.vrsimulations.com
#679587 - 12/11/05 07:47 PM Re: PSF never to be retired again / message to GSC  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Jon, Gabe, Bill, Pretzel. Damn, how often do so many big names on the scrolling credits actually post on the same message board?

In SimHQ we have/had TK, Scott Elson, Steve Hunt off the top of my head, but no more than one name per sim that I know of.

Ok HK crew, your almost decade long break is now over! It's time to get back with HQ Addison and make some more F/A-18C sim magic! \:D

Seriously, I beg you.
--

Mark

The sun is in the east
#679588 - 12/12/05 07:45 AM Re: PSF never to be retired again / message to GSC  
Dirk98 Offline
Dirk98  Offline

Montgomery AL
Quote:
Originally posted by MGonzales:
As much enjoyment as I'm getting from sims like TAW (very immersive DC) and Strike Fighters (fantastic non-demanding graphics), PSF will never again be retired from my PC, unless it's updated.
The first thing that would prompt me to install this game since I purchased it 2 years back would be TrackIR support.

#679589 - 12/14/05 01:28 AM Re: PSF never to be retired again / message to GSC  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Quote:
Originally posted by Dirk98:
The first thing that would prompt me to install this game since I purchased it 2 years back would be TrackIR support.
Maybe Pretzel can hack edit it into the DAT file! LOL! \:D

Regarding HK, the first thing GSC needs to do is to abandon the sunken ship known as Mac. Why put resources into a Mac version of OIF anyway? Past loyalty or something?

GSC could never make whiney Mac people happy no matter what they did anyway. "Where's the patch? Where's the patch? It's been 2 weeks. It's been a year. What, it's been CANCELLED?!?! PC version came out first, PC version got this, PC version got that...bla bla bla...TCP/IP, yet we can't play online."

Let the Mac go, which should free up some time for an OIF PC patch. \:\) It's not like the few Mac people left even care about this sim anymore (I read the Mac boards).

And it's not like I'm asking for the impossible like a moving Carrier or a/a refueling. I don't even care if the MP works at all! I just want the freggin' cockpit zoom factor saved and some airport lighting fixed! And to bring back PSF's smooth hat panning instead of the worthless snap views, which makes no sense to me at all in a 3D pit! It shouldn't take much to get OIF back to at least the same level of PSF/KG. Hasn't it been two years now?

So...where's the patch?! \:D

Hey Pretzel, even if your MiG-29 is never releasable, I want to buy you lunch and some beers just for trying! As long as you don't abandon PSF, there's always hope for improvement! \:\)
--

Mark

The sun is in the east

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.