Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#678659 - 07/16/03 09:46 PM Short review & movie post help request  
Scruff Offline
Scruff  Offline

RTP, North Carolina, US
Hi folks:

I posted this at another forum here at SimHQ last week, but I thought it'd get better traffic here. Also, I've got some Fraps game movies if anyone has post space for them on a server.

I've since played the game some, and am having a blast. I've been able to navigate back to the carrier VFR with the new terrain after taking a hit that fragged most of my electronics. Had to ditch due to my gear being locked up. I've finally learned my autopilot, and how to dodge a/a missles (i.e. I'm having fun with this sim \:\) )

Here it is:

Hi Guys:

Ok, first impressions & disclaimers on F/A-18 ... Freedom.

1) I'm not hardcore, so this is a good game for me.

2) Given that I'm not hardcore, I don't like the removal of invulnerable setting from Korea - this was the same in PSF.

3) The exterior visual model is the same as PSF.

4) The terrain is ala 1998/99. Blurry at ground level, but still good inpression of speed down low but not closeness. It looks quite a bit better than the
screen shots on Graphsim's site. At altitude, you're flying from the Gulf into Iraq - no doubt about it. It's actually kind of creepy knowing I'm siming the same skies where the killing is actually taking place.

5) The cockpit is non-clickable, and the hatswitch was only fixed views. However, it did seem to pan fully during a padlock. However, the instruments are actually 3D in the pan unlike Korea/PSF. I like the way it looks better than Korea/PSF. The view is zoomable from the previous 3D view angle in PSF all the way into just the HUD. The panel instruments are working all the time panning/padlock is going on. The view magnification isn't saved when you switch views which can be a little annoying to have the magnification jump suddenly.

6) It is a CD only package.

7) Gameplay seems the same as PSF. Don't know if they fixed anything from before.

8) I did have a glitch with the gun firing continuously as I cycled through the weapons. It stopped when I got lock with a sidewinder. I.E. it does seem to have at least one bug.

9) Don't know if they removed the nuke. I guessing they probably did so Graphsim didn't have take it from annoyed parents of patriotic juniors who were nuking every civilian from the Gulf to Turkey.

10) Fraps works fine with this. I did some movie captures last night, and they look good.

11) The movie replay is a big draw for me. I love to watch my flight movies on my Home theater setup. I'm in the movies Ma!

I'm glad I bought this game. Then again, I was glad that Xicat released PSF to run on the non-voodoo cards since I loved F/A-18 Korea so much, but couldn't run it on my new computers.

The feeling of flying over Iraq at altitude is very eerie. I often buy sims to get the sense of what it was like for the pilots who actually flew in these theaters. I can appreciate the certain dread felt when attacking an airport or warship. I know the "Oh My God" of a Spit pilot flying into 800 german planes during the Battle of Britain. I've witnessed the unstoppable sweep of the D-day invasions (thanks for Viking's addon for CFS3), and the utter futility of trying to stop the Japanese attack at Perl Harbor once they were within striking distance.

When I'm in the sim cockpit in Iraqi Freedom, I reflect on the doubts of "why are we going back" as I notice that bailing out over Iraq would mean either falling on the narrow tenuous strip of cultivation hugging the rivers (that birthed civilization), or falling on the barren, God-forsaken "for as far as the eye can see" nothingness of hellishly hot desert.

Scruff

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#678660 - 07/16/03 09:54 PM Re: Short review & movie post help request  
Chelco Offline
Chelco  Offline

Germantown, MD, USA
Good review Scruff!
I am looking forward to see your movies.

#678661 - 07/16/03 09:56 PM Re: Short review & movie post help request  
Chelco Offline
Chelco  Offline

Germantown, MD, USA
Good review Scruff!
I am looking forward to see your movies.

#678662 - 07/16/03 10:54 PM Re: Short review & movie post help request  
Scruff Offline
Scruff  Offline

RTP, North Carolina, US
Thanks Chelco:

Now if I can just find someone with server space to post the movies. Did I see something about posting free on x-plane.org?

Scruff

#678663 - 07/17/03 01:31 AM Re: Short review & movie post help request  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yeah I think you get 50megs free at x-plane.

Give it a go. I'd love to see your clips.

#678664 - 07/17/03 03:17 AM Re: Short review & movie post help request  
BeachAV8R Offline
Lifer
BeachAV8R  Offline
Lifer

KCLT
Awesome..thanks for the review..I can't wait to see the movies!!

BeachAV8R

#678665 - 07/17/03 04:14 AM Re: Short review & movie post help request  
Scruff Offline
Scruff  Offline

RTP, North Carolina, US
Hi folks:

Well, I checked x-plane.org, and there ain't no free lunch. I'm too honest/chicken to break their rules about what to post (so no OIF movies on their site by their rules) - sorry. Any other suggestions?

Scruff

#678666 - 07/17/03 01:48 PM Re: Short review & movie post help request  
Huey52 Offline
Hotshot
Huey52  Offline
Hotshot

New England
Scruff did a nice mini-review. I'll give my first impression as well. I've got a now mid-road system (P4 2.0, 512 MB SDRAM, Radeon 9700 Pro, WinXP). I've only simmed a few of the training missions at this point, just to get back into it after a long absence (early HK). I'm running 1280x1024x32 at medium difficulty and am using K@OS TM Cougar PSF set (modded for key changes from HK - Thanks K@OS!). I'll try not to compare to JF/A-18, whilst knowing it's inevitable.

Ths cockpit was immediately familiar and the ability to zoom is a nice add as the default is too close for my taste. The new 3D cockpit is very clear, more readable than JF/A-18 (broke my comparison rule already!). It's non-clickable, but I'm not a fan of clickable cockpits anyway. Another familiar and appreciated feature is the HUD projected RWR (lacking from JF/A-18). And it's a good thing, as the panel RWR is the one item that's difficult to view even in head down mode.

The snap view only viewing system is as expected. Unfortunately the 45 degree views still don't transition well to the HOTAS. I'll let K@OS work on that ;\) The head down view was better than expected given the 3D format and the color MFD is crisp throughout range zoomable. The exterior views are good but the transition to view of radar locked objects can be a bit slow. I believe this is due to the 'synchronization' of the relative distance, as close objects appear almost immediately.

The weapons and weapon systems are as expected, with fewer types than JF/A-18. But certainly versatile enough to do the job. TDC movement is rapid and precise.

The avionics are also well done. Particularly noteworthy is the IFF. There's an attentive tone when you query a friendly and a subdued click when a bogie. Shouldn't be any fratricide with this version.

The satellite imagery graphics are excellent at altitude and very immersive. As typical for this medium however they're noticeably blocky down in the weeds. But still the best incarnation I've seen. The object graphics (esp. airfield/carrier) are thus far a disappointment. Since I've only simmed training missions to date I'll reserve judgement.

My general impression is that OIF is somewhat evolutionary with some nice updates. It's clearly not in JF/A-18's league, but then was not expected to be. Think of it as the SFP1 of F/A-18 sim's. Most notably I believe this sim will help bring new simmers into the fold, while still providing more than enough challenge for seasoned vets. It's a keeper, but I won't be giving up JF/A-18 anytime soon!

#678667 - 07/17/03 04:43 PM Re: Short review & movie post help request  
VF-2 John Banks Offline
VF-2 John Banks  Offline

Berlin, Germany
I got my game today and i second Skyhawks observations.

What the game really needs are panning and mouse view in the cockpit and that ASAP. It also needs some visually fixing of the way weapons are attached onto the plane. There is no rudder or airbrake animation but elevator and ailerons are animated as well as flaps, the hook and the gear. What the game could also need is wingtip vortex and contrails.
I have yet to check if blackouts and redouts are present in the game or missing.

Intel Core I7-4790K @ 4x4GHz (oc'ed to 4x4,5 GHz on air)
be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 CPU Cooler (250W TDP)
ASUS Z97-C motherboard
ASUS STRIX-GTX970-DC2OC-4GD5
ASUS ROG Xonar Phoebus Solo Soundcard, PCIe
2 x 4GB GEIL DDR3 Value RAM
ANTEC PSU (750W)
Toshiba 37" LCD TV (1920x1080x32)
Win 7 Home Pro (64bit)
240 GB Corsair SSD (Force Series 3)
TrackIR4 Pro
HOTAS Cougar + "Uber NxT advanced" gimbal mod
SIMPED F-16 Pedals
SAITEK Throttle Quadrant
A2 leather jacket & leather gloves
#678668 - 07/17/03 08:53 PM Re: Short review & movie post help request  
Scruff Offline
Scruff  Offline

RTP, North Carolina, US
It does have redout (pulled some red trying to stay locked on a SAM site). Don't know about blackout.

Scruff

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.