Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#661054 - 10/14/05 10:49 PM Win XP and WWII Fighters  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi, I will be buying a new computer soon and I woud like to run some of the older combat sims, like EAW, Forgotten Battles, and WWII fighters on it. The operating sys is Win XP or XP Professional. I have not decided yet. Also I have a choice for the video card: either Nvidia GForce 6800 or the ATI Radeon x300. I have heard that these games will not work with Win XP.

What do I need to do to Win XP to get these games to install and run? And which video card would be a better choice for these games.

Thanx, Mark

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#661055 - 10/14/05 11:47 PM Re: Win XP and WWII Fighters  
Skycat Offline
Hotshot
Skycat  Offline
Hotshot

Pennsylvania or Montana
Similar thread at ww2fighters.org:

http://ww2fighters.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=2368

Forgotten Battles work with XP, no problem, because it was released after XP. WWIIF works great for me and for just about everybody else I know running XP. EAW will work also but you may need to do some tweaks and maybe you need a patch -- visit the EAW forum for better information about that AND about graphic card choice for EAW.

Remove before flight
#661056 - 10/17/05 05:48 PM Re: Win XP and WWII Fighters  
Pooch Offline
Hotshot
Pooch  Offline
Hotshot

Orlando, FL
Mark, I'm running Windows XP Home Edition, and I'm enjoying WW2Fighters with no problems. If you want to fly WW2F, though, don't get a Geforce card. WW2F doesn't like it it. You get some bad graphics problems. As far as FB is concerned, I don't know where you could have heard there's a problem. I think just about everybody running FB has Win XP.

"From our orbital vantage point, we observe an earth without borders, full of peace, beauty and magnificence, and we pray that humanity as a whole can imagine a borderless world as we see it, and strive to live as one in peace."
Astronaut William C. McCool RIP, January 29, 2003 - Space Shuttle Columbia

#661057 - 10/25/05 05:52 PM Re: Win XP and WWII Fighters  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

OR...if you snoop in the 'trash bins' you might find a Voodoo5 ... which flat LUV the older games... and for which XP drivers are available...

#661058 - 10/30/05 08:19 AM Re: Win XP and WWII Fighters  
Nicolaas Offline
Nicolaas  Offline

Netherlands
Quote:
Originally posted by Pooch:
Mark, I'm running Windows XP Home Edition, and I'm enjoying WW2Fighters with no problems. If you want to fly WW2F, though, don't get a Geforce card. WW2F doesn't like it it. You get some bad graphics problems. As far as FB is concerned, I don't know where you could have heard there's a problem. I think just about everybody running FB has Win XP.
Did you just install it the normal way ?, and than patched it (official patch?). If so, I will try that one also.

Nicolaas
#661059 - 11/05/05 04:50 PM Re: Win XP and WWII Fighters  
Pooch Offline
Hotshot
Pooch  Offline
Hotshot

Orlando, FL
Yes, Nico. It installed fine, and then I patched it. I then went and added just about every add-on the community has made! And I'm playing in 1152x1024, or whatever the resolution is, without so much as a burp.

"From our orbital vantage point, we observe an earth without borders, full of peace, beauty and magnificence, and we pray that humanity as a whole can imagine a borderless world as we see it, and strive to live as one in peace."
Astronaut William C. McCool RIP, January 29, 2003 - Space Shuttle Columbia

#661060 - 11/06/05 05:50 AM Re: Win XP and WWII Fighters  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Mark, visit http://www.ww2fighters.org for info concerning this issue. It has happened in the past and they have successfully dealt with it before.
I also have to say the problems with the NVidia cards is stricly driver related. The hardware itself is not the reason for the problems, otherwise simply changing the drivers themselves would not fix it. I have used NVidia cards since I have been flying the sim and this is the only problem I've had. Some drivers will work great with it, other drivers don't work well with it at all. An ATI card is the best way to keep from playing "Driver of the week" with the NVidia cards, but I have never had anything past a driver issue to deal with concerning the sim. BTW, the card in question I've been running is a GeForce MX 5200 / 128 MB card that works fine with it. Info on this driver problem can also be found at the above site for reference.

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
RIP Louis Gosset, Jr
by bones. 03/29/24 02:40 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.