Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#63613 - 11/21/05 01:34 PM Book recommendations please: WW2 naval history  
uberweng Offline
uberweng  Offline

New Zealand
I would like to buy a book (or two) to try to get a basic understanding of the naval dimension of WW2. There are a few books out there so which do you recommend?

Also, as someone almost completely new to navel history and the associated terminology, any recommendations for books which are a good introduction to naval history in general?

So far my naval library consists of:
-ECLIPSE OF THE BIG GUN : The Warship 1906-1945 (Conway's History of the Ship Series)
-a bunch of U-boat books
-GERMAN S-BOOTE AT WAR : 1939-1945

Any advice will be appreciated.
Uberweng

In the Pacific, the Indian Ocean, and the Atlantic we remember the multitude of resentful sleeping warriors; in our ears we hear the whisper of the "voices from the bottom of the sea."
-Commander Mochitsura Hashimoto, IJN, 16 August 1945
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#63614 - 11/21/05 06:59 PM Re: Book recommendations please: WW2 naval history  
Teddy Bär Offline
Teddy Bär  Offline

From the u-boat prespective you cannot go past Karl Doenitz's memoirs titles, "Memoirs Ten Years & Twenty Days". The ten years & twenty days refers to how long he was imprisoned for after the war.

Memoirs by - Dönitz, Karl Ten Years and Twenty Days
ISBN 0306807645
519 pages, 18 b&w photos

This book is one of the few books that will allow you to understand the German U-boat war as it was faught from the German side.

The Guardian I think best says it...
"The most distinguished of recent reminiscences on either the Allied or the German side. The author displays a powerful capacity of sustained concentration.

He writes with detachment and facility; he is both fair to his colleagues and his enemies, and possesses an effortless mastery of detail. He is, for a German officer, unusually honest in describing his relations with Hitler; and there is a refreshing lack of cant and fraud in his handling of the thorny problems of submarine warfare”

For me, this was one of those books that was impossible to put down.

I have heard great things of 'The War at Sea 1939-1945' by Captain S.W. Roskill DSC, RN. Now there are a few titles of simular name.

This is a 4 volume set!

I have this book, as I do the 1st and 2nd flotillas, for the last 6 months without having time to read them.

Cheers,

Teddy Bär

One of the stupidest things in game design is the lack of uncertainty given to the player

"beatings will continue until morale improves" brought to you by Ubisoft DRM!
#63615 - 11/22/05 03:57 PM Re: Book recommendations please: WW2 naval history  
uberweng Offline
uberweng  Offline

New Zealand
Thanks Teddy Bär,
I will pick up a copy of Ten Years and Twenty days,
it sounds excellent. By chance I just got a cheap copy of another book by Captain S.W. Roskill DSC, RN called "CONVOY". I checked the set you recommeded and it looks good but its a few hundered bucks for the set so I might have to wait until the bank balance is a little healthier.

Uberweng

In the Pacific, the Indian Ocean, and the Atlantic we remember the multitude of resentful sleeping warriors; in our ears we hear the whisper of the "voices from the bottom of the sea."
-Commander Mochitsura Hashimoto, IJN, 16 August 1945

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
RIP Louis Gosset, Jr
by bones. 03/29/24 02:40 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.