Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#563462 - 06/05/06 01:25 AM Super EF2000 / EF2000 v2.0  
al'be:do Offline
al'be:do  Offline

Essen, Germany
Hi!

There's no EF2000 thread so I poste this one into the Typhoon thread, as this game is from the same developer.

Are here any Super EF2000(Europe) or EF2000 v2.0 (US) players around?
I love this game and it's still one of the best fighter sims available.

I also own the Eurofighter Typhoon game, which has much nicer graphis but lacks all the realistic features of the older brother.

The third in the row is of course TAW, the second great game from DID. Both TAW an SuperEF2000 have fantastic gameplay and very interesting AI controlled campaign generation modules.

It would be so great if there was any developer who would and could update these games according to modern graphics standards and terrain complexity, like the Falcon4 update that hit the market not so long ago.

What is your opinion?

If anybody is interested in online play or wants to help with gameplay/installation issues, this is the place to do talk about it.

See you.

WinXP SP2
Athlon64 3200+, ASUS K8V Deluxe, 1GB PC3200 8-3-3 RAM
Radeon9800Pro-Omegadriver v.3.8.231-FW off!
6 HD's=1.16TB
Eizo S2110W-K 21"@1680x1050
Audigy 2ZS, Teufel Concept G THX 7.1
CH Gear: Fighterstick, Pro Throttle, Pro Pedals, all USB
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#563463 - 06/12/06 02:35 AM Re: Super EF2000 / EF2000 v2.0  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
I think I can safely say now that EF2000 and ADF/TAW is probably the closest I'll ever come to flight simming Nirvana. There's a couple other flight sims that I also enjoy playing but I tend to get bored with them quickly and it's right back to these DID sims.

From my first posts on SimHQ when I'd just returned to playing flight sims, I mentioned that what I really wanted was a follow-up to the Microprose's F-117 sim, the only sim I'd played until JetFighter IV (mid-'03). With its stealth management, TAW is truly that replacement and so much more!

EF2000 is my break away from TAW for a little contrast in strategy and theater, although I've been spending equal time with both lately.

I recently purchased Eurofighter Typhoon but have only spent a couple hours with it. My biggest issues with Typhoon are cockpit implementation and multiple pilot management. Also, how the game has to constantly be paused, along with stuff popping up on the screen (usually accidentally). Typhoon is just not my kind of sim.

That said, I do love some of the ideas in Typhoon. I think the 3D pilot and other cut-scenes are pretty cool to watch (if only it was just one pilot) and I enjoy watching the CNN-type reports, a very neat idea IMO. They really try to make a fun game out of it and I enjoy that part (in moderation).

The problem however with some of the non-flying parts of the game is that they aren't optional. Unlike the TFX cut-scenes (another sim I recently purchased), you can't just ESC through it and quickly get to the flying, you have to wait it out. Cool the first few times (and maybe again every so often to get the full effect of the game) but it gets old quickly.

My Typhoon box has a sticker, "From the makers of EF2000"! \:\( Can that be any more of a tease???

It just kills me that EF2000 wasn't updated instead! And I don't mean just graphics (although that alone would have been great), but I would love the Typhoon 3D pilot stuff and cut-scenes in EF2000 (just single pilot only please) and some of the other cool stuff like the news reports. But in an OPTIONAL and (even more important) NON-INTRUSIVE way! They already had the finished and polished code to one of the best games ever made to build on!

You can't please everybody I guess, although EF2000 and TAW are both very pleasing to me. \:\)
--

Mark

The rusty wire that holds the cork that keeps the anger in
Gives way and suddenly it’s day again
The sun is in the east
Even though the day is done
Two suns in the sunset, hmph
Could be the human race is run
#563464 - 06/12/06 06:27 PM Re: Super EF2000 / EF2000 v2.0  

Essen, Germany
You're right, TAW and EF2000/SuperEF2000/v2.0 are the most rewarding ones, especially in long term motivation. TAW has an even better campaign mode and I love the possibility of sitting in the AWACS and "planning the war" in real time.
Another great idea is the scramble mode if you're sick of waiting for missions or if you want fast action during a campaign.

Both games create the sensation of taking part in a bigger war scenario. You are not a superhero saving mankind but only a pilot fulfilling his duty in this great unstoppable and terrible war machinery.

Typhoon was too much an arcade game. I liked the graphics update, but as you said before, the video sequances started to annoy me after the 5th or 6th newscast.

It's pity that DID doesn't exist anymore.

WinXP SP2
6 HD's=1.16TB
#563465 - 06/12/06 08:15 PM Re: Super EF2000 / EF2000 v2.0  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Just for clarification, I actually like the news reports. I just wish it could have been done in such a way as to not interrupt my flight. I think the original Falcon 4.0 did it best, and those are really cool, including real action footage.

But I know Typhoon wasn't meant for people like you and me (not that I'm hardcore, I'm not...I just like traditional [but lighter than Falcon] flight sims). And every time I start to think negatively about Typhoon, I think back to how crappy I thought EF2000 was several years ago when I purchased a box at an outlet mall. I think it's the only game I was so disappointed in that I tossed it in the trash instead of storing it or giving it to someone. \:\( That was back when I was playing Need for Speed and DOOM so what did I know about flight sims?

Now, several years later, I'm once again new to EF2000, only this time it's second only to TAW as my favorite game! \:\) In fact, they are the only games I'm playing right now.

These are my "Bibles"...

http://www.lt-solutions.com/images/EF2K_M.JPG
http://www.lt-solutions.com/images/EF2000Map_S.JPG
http://www.lt-solutions.com/images/TAW_M.JPG

I just hope somehow new life can be breathed into these never to be repeated flight sims. What I'd like to see most with EF2000 is sharper cockpit graphics (especially MFDs) and the wide-angle pit flexibility of TAW. With TAW I'd like weather modeling, even if it's just making the sky shades of gray ala EF2000.

I think these two sims compliment each other well but I'd like to see each get some of the other's features.
--

Mark

The rusty wire that holds the cork that keeps the anger in
Gives way and suddenly it’s day again
The sun is in the east
Even though the day is done
Two suns in the sunset, hmph
Could be the human race is run
#563466 - 06/12/06 10:15 PM Re: Super EF2000 / EF2000 v2.0  

Essen, Germany
*sigh* \:\)

Yes, you're right! Unfortunately the wide angle in EF2000 is only possible in padlock mode. \:\(
Playing both games at full resolution with DX8 or DX9 Graphics would be awesome.
I'm happy that EF2000 allows me to play the game in widescreeen, that's ideal for my monitor \:\)
Cool, that such an old game supports this!

A combination of both sims would be the ultimate modern times fighter simulator with two of the most sophisticated fighter planes. Ahh, I can almost see it before my eyes! \:D

I still have the original EF2000 box and the manual, so I don't need most stuff from the Super EF2000 pdf ;\)

Well, if you look at Doom now, it's the other way around: You can clearly see how crappy these 2D sprite monsters were. EF2000 had 3D models at that time \:\)
Maybe it's like good wine. Some games need time to show their real qualities \:D

I don't know Falcon4 very much.
Maybe I should give it a try, too.

WinXP SP2
6 HD's=1.16TB

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.