Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#558502 - 05/11/01 12:33 PM PLEASE HELP, how do you kill tanks?  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

I might be missing something here but i cant complete CAS missions unless i put the difficulty on 1, ive tried every weapon every delivery profile multiple times and i cant get more than one or two kills against T90s with any weapons. It takes at least five brimstones, my Paveways always miss and i get shredded with ground fire if i try to use BL755s or CRV7s. Please help because this is spoiling my enjoyment of an otherwise excellent game!

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#558503 - 05/11/01 04:35 PM Re: PLEASE HELP, how do you kill tanks?  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Come on you guys, im tearing my hair out here!

#558504 - 05/11/01 06:30 PM Re: PLEASE HELP, how do you kill tanks?  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well, I'm not really that successful at doing the same thing, but I've found brimstones are on the whole, probably the best weapon to use, but sometimes you have to use 2 or even 3 missiles with direct hits to kill the tanks (I know they have heavy armour, but the brimstone is as far as I know an anti-armour weapon).

What I tend to do it come in fast at around mach 1 at around 7,000 feet (depending on cloud cover - if there isn't any, I'll use IRST and do it at around 14,000).

About 3 miles away, I lock the targets up, and I always get a hit. Whether it kills anything seems to be a hit-and-miss affair (no pun intended )

If anyone has a better method, I'd like to know it

Cheers,
Manteau

#558505 - 05/11/01 07:18 PM Re: PLEASE HELP, how do you kill tanks?  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

I think the brimstones suffer from the same problem as the alarms. They don't make the best use of their energy and tend to go low very quickly. I'd prefer them to dive down on the target. Don't know what they do in the real world.

------------------
Cheerio...

Harry "Kingfisher" Neary

http://www.telefragged.com
http://www.ps2faction.com
http://www.racingfaction.com

#558506 - 05/11/01 07:20 PM Re: PLEASE HELP, how do you kill tanks?  
valleyboy Offline
valleyboy  Offline

Aberdare, Wales, UK
I think the Brimstone is a version of the Hellfire, this usualy employs a loft trajectory in certain modes, but when you are launched from an aircraft at mach 1+, I dont think it would be wise for such a small thing to try and do a loft trajectory....but I am probably wrong

------------------
If it aint bust, you haven't played with it enough!

"The engines are overheating, and so am I!!, we either make a move, or blow up!, So which is it to be?!"
----------------------------------
"It is better to keep one's mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt."
#558507 - 05/11/01 08:23 PM Re: PLEASE HELP, how do you kill tanks?  
Smily Offline
Smily  Offline

Some small rural German villag...
Actually, I had the most success using Brimstones when doing the following: flying around 250 to 350, at about 2000 feet, firing them from about two or one miles distance. Using this parameters, I get roughly 90% hits. ALTHOUGH: I need TWO Brimstones for a ground target (be it a tank or some AAA gun / SAM), and yes, the first one most certainly always is right on target

Another note: from time to time it looks like I just CAN`T hit small ground targets at all using the gun....

A paranoid is simply someone in possession of all the facts.
#558508 - 05/11/01 10:02 PM Re: PLEASE HELP, how do you kill tanks?  
Hitman IF Offline
Hitman IF  Offline

Aberdeen, Scotland
I find that two brimstones are needed to kill stationary tanks. I also have a high miss rate. The best attack strategy seems to be on the tanks direction of travel, movement seems to confuse the hell out of Brimstones. I find Paveway 3's the most effective against tanks. The thing is you can only target one tank on each pass (for the laser targeting), but then I find that I have about 90%+ reliability. Hope that helps.

------------------
---SVBS squad is playing Typhoon now!---

---SVBS squad is playing Lock On, ADF/TAW and Typhoon now at http://www.svbs.co.uk !---
#558509 - 05/11/01 11:39 PM Re: PLEASE HELP, how do you kill tanks?  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'll have to give it a try, but I do think they modeled heavier armor front and rear so a hit from the side might be more effective.

#558510 - 05/12/01 12:31 PM Re: PLEASE HELP, how do you kill tanks?  
schurem Offline
schurem  Offline

Nijmegen, NL, Europe
i usually load up with as many brimstones as i can and run in on the tanks at 100% mil throttle. i shoot one at every tank in the group at about half way through the range bar. then i turn away, take some distance and repeat. by then i'm usually through my brimmies and have to use guns on the final pass to mop up the remainders. this is where i always get shot to pieces. but on "softened-up" tanks, the gun can be quite effective, just too bad the typhoon never holds out long enough to squirt all the ammo it has.

------------------
I just LUV the smell of napalm in the morning

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings,
Sunward I've climbed, and joined the tumbling mirth

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.