Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#453631 - 09/04/06 05:21 PM Tank simmers and their books  
FLORENT Offline
FLORENT  Offline

FRANCE
Many if not all simmers read books about their favorites planes subs and ...Tanks. Actually i have just an orbis fascicule about modern tanks published in the 80's it was a serie about weapons from WW1 to the 80's. Fighting with or against these tanks means that you want to discover more. Using amazon i discover some jane's books about modern tanks. I bought dozens of osprey about aviation, napoleonic, ancient times and i would like to know if some of you bought the New Vanguard serie with ... M1 Abrams, Leo1 and 2, T72,T55 ? Are they interesting books ? Is there any books about T80 or Leo2A5. Thanks for your help.

F. LOYER
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#453632 - 09/04/06 10:05 PM Re: Tank simmers and their books  
Ssnake Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Ssnake  Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Hotshot

Germoney
The New Vanguard books aren't bad, but they're not really encyclopedic either - which they don't attempt to be, which should be said in all fairness. The question is, what are you looking for?
The NVs are good for a quick overview and a good idea about the general layout of the internal components.
Or are you more interested about the tactical capabilities, the technical details, and/or something else. Depending on this the answers may vary.

Having said that, ...
  • the best book about the Leo 2 is probably Walter Spielberger's 1995 edition of "Leopard 1 und Leopard 2" (Motorbuch Verlag - in German, mind you.)
  • The "Leopard 1 Trilogy" is probably the bible about all kinds of variants of the entire Leopard 1 vehicle family, including engineering and bridgelayer vehicles etc.
  • The best book I've come across so far about the T-72 is "T-72/72M" by Frantisek Koran et al., Wings & Wheels Publications; it is however written primarily for the modeller with lots and lots of photos of all kinds of details.
  • Generally Steve Zaloga and Christopher Foss are names of good reputation. Marsh Gelbart wrote the best book there is about the Merkava MBT series.

If there is a decent book about the T-80, it's probably in Russian. I'd be interested myself in a book of similar qualities like the ones that I listed dealing with the T-80. But it may still be required to be written.

Visit the home of Steel Beasts!
...the ultimate armor sim...
#453633 - 09/05/06 05:08 PM Re: Tank simmers and their books  
stuart galbraith Offline
stuart galbraith  Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Ssnake:
The New Vanguard books aren't bad, but they're not really encyclopedic either - which they don't attempt to be, which should be said in all fairness. The question is, what are you looking for?
The NVs are good for a quick overview and a good idea about the general layout of the internal components.
Or are you more interested about the tactical capabilities, the technical details, and/or something else. Depending on this the answers may vary.

Having said that, ...
  • the best book about the Leo 2 is probably Walter Spielberger's 1995 edition of "Leopard 1 und Leopard 2" (Motorbuch Verlag - in German, mind you.)
  • The "Leopard 1 Trilogy" is probably the bible about all kinds of variants of the entire Leopard 1 vehicle family, including engineering and bridgelayer vehicles etc.
  • The best book I've come across so far about the T-72 is "T-72/72M" by Frantisek Koran et al., Wings & Wheels Publications; it is however written primarily for the modeller with lots and lots of photos of all kinds of details.
  • Generally Steve Zaloga and Christopher Foss are names of good reputation. Marsh Gelbart wrote the best book there is about the Merkava MBT series.

If there is a decent book about the T-80, it's probably in Russian. I'd be interested myself in a book of similar qualities like the ones that I listed dealing with the T-80. But it may still be required to be written.
Yes I meant to tell you about that T72 book, Its quite good but very much as you say for the modeller. They also do one on the T55 which is also quite good.

Florent, if you want to know all the soviet built vehicles in context try and get 'Soviet/Russian Armor and Artillery design practices' one of the authors of which was Steve Zaloga. You can find a number of elements in it in the Osprey books, but its nice to have it as a compendium, and there is lot of new stuff and photographs as well. There is a good book on T64 by Vasiliy Chobcuk, mostly in Russian but excellent photos and diagrams, and many English captions.

Course, if you want to get a good overview of ALL tank warfare since ww1 till the 1990s, you could still do far worse than get 'Tank Vs Tank' by Kenneth Macksey. Its the first book on tanks I ever read (at school in their surprisingly enlightened library) and still one well worth getting. Not only does it have a lot on the tactical use of Tanks and AFVs, it also has some good insight into the emerging technologies.

Moderated by  Meatsheild, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.