Hop To
Page 2 of 14 1 2 3 4 13 14
#4479554 - 06/23/19 02:29 AM Re: DCS: F-16C Viper [Re: Sokol1]  
piper Offline
Veteran
piper  Offline
Veteran

Raleigh,NC
It all comes down to if you like to play combat flight sims there are currently only two choices. BMS and DCS.
That's all there is.

And I agree that DCS's business model/practices are crap. But that's all there is and I like playing combat flight sims.
I have the BMS F-16, and also the DCS A-10C, Mirage, F-86, F-18, and Tomcat.

All in all, it's pretty cool.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4480377 - 06/28/19 01:26 PM Re: DCS: F-16C Viper [Re: Sokol1]  
Winfield Offline
model citizen
Winfield  Offline
model citizen

QLD
to answer all those questions......no I won't be buying this hunk of junk for several years.

#4481827 - 07/06/19 09:52 PM Re: DCS: F-16C Viper [Re: Sokol1]  
Schweppes Offline
Schweppes  Offline

Nordland, Norway
Nice finally the F 16! Preordered and will buy it for a friend when it comes to steam!

Those that forget the pasta are doomed to reheat it.
#4481832 - 07/06/19 10:39 PM Re: DCS: F-16C Viper [Re: Schweppes]  
Winfield Offline
model citizen
Winfield  Offline
model citizen

QLD
Originally Posted by Schweppes
Nice finally the F 16! Preordered and will buy it for a friend when it comes to steam!

Yes, good to see the F-16 coming to DCS but I prefer the AH-1W or the Mi-24P to have been prioritised before the F-16 was announced.

cobra was announced years ago. still nothing.

#4481870 - 07/07/19 06:41 AM Re: DCS: F-16C Viper [Re: Sokol1]  
Schweppes Offline
Schweppes  Offline

Nordland, Norway
Yes i agree with you about this, all those modules you mention is something of my interest and i would get, but would probably have been a bit better if they released either the Cobra or Hind (or both) before the F16!
I keep wanting new planes eventhough i have enough to keep me busy learning for years! Simce last year ive been flying mostly the Harrier and when the Tomcat came i divided most of my flying time between those 2.

But i welcome the F16 and i will find time to learn this too:)

Those that forget the pasta are doomed to reheat it.
#4484348 - 07/28/19 04:42 AM Re: DCS: F-16C Viper [Re: Sokol1]  
WynnTTr Offline
WynnTTr  Offline

Lol.. one thing is guaranteed when ED release a module - SimHQ dinosaurs will whine about it incessantly rather than look at the positive side. We get more choices. And that's exactly what they are - choices. Don't like it, don't buy it.

I for one am grateful that there's still a dev out there pumping out flight sims that can play in updated tech. DCS in VR is an experience. Sure it'd be perfect if they released completed modules but I can wait. This genre has taught me patience and if it never gets fixed, well, I'd rather fly something broken and experience it than not having it at all.

They're doing gamers a disservice? Step up and create a flight sim yourself or get EA to sponsor one.

#4484368 - 07/28/19 02:36 PM Re: DCS: F-16C Viper [Re: Sokol1]  
Pooch Offline
Hotshot
Pooch  Offline
Hotshot

Orlando, FL
"And I agree that DCS's business model/practices are crap...."

Yeah, but when I'm in the F-86 and I'm trying to bag a MiG-15....or more likey trying not to get bagged by one....the last thing I'm thinking about is their buisiness practices.
The only reason I'm on the fence is that I just don't seem to want to learn these complex models, anymore. I never fly my A-10, anymore, for that reason. I don't want it to be another thing siting on my hard drive that I don't use. But, boy, I like the F-16.

"From our orbital vantage point, we observe an earth without borders, full of peace, beauty and magnificence, and we pray that humanity as a whole can imagine a borderless world as we see it, and strive to live as one in peace."
Astronaut William C. McCool RIP, January 29, 2003 - Space Shuttle Columbia

#4484382 - 07/28/19 05:08 PM Re: DCS: F-16C Viper [Re: Sokol1]  
Sokol1 Offline
Sokol1  Offline

Internet
Let's agree, one thing DCS do nice is trailers. smile

PRE-ORDER hahaha

Someone say: "DCS trailers really make me want to buy things I know I wont like".

#4484586 - 07/30/19 07:52 PM Re: DCS: F-16C Viper [Re: WynnTTr]  
ricnunes Offline
ricnunes  Offline

Portugal
Originally Posted by WynnTTr
Lol.. one thing is guaranteed when ED release a module - SimHQ dinosaurs will whine about it incessantly rather than look at the positive side. We get more choices. And that's exactly what they are - choices. Don't like it, don't buy it.

I and others here don't actually "whine". We just post facts and evidence about ED's dishonest and fraudulent business model (Modules that are perpetually in Alpha state and never finished while more and more of these modules keep pumping up, etc, etc, etc...), full of perpetual bugs that are never fixed, etc, etc, etc...

It's not our fault that you don't like to hear the FACTS!

I for one am grateful that there's still a dev out there pumping out flight sims that can play in updated tech. DCS in VR is an experience. Sure it'd be perfect if they released completed modules but I can wait. This genre has taught me patience and if it never gets fixed, well, I'd rather fly something broken and experience it than not having it at all.

Yeah right.
Lets look at that beautiful DCS F-16 video:
- When I look at the ground targets being destroyed, all I can wonder is - There's no Air-to-Ground radar!
- When I look at the AMRAAM shots, all I can wonder is - AMRAAMs are a crap and barely work in BVR and only work "more or less" in WVR (and this is an AMRAAM, LOL!).
- When I look at the "Cluster explosions", all I can wonder is - which supercomputer will handle that?!

I wonder if you would defend so hard another combat flight sim made by another developer even if such sim only had half of the bugs/issues of DCS?! I guess not but then I guess that this is the true definition of being an ED/DCS fanboy/fanatic... rolleyes

They're doing gamers a disservice? Step up and create a flight sim yourself or get EA to sponsor one.

Yes, ED is doing gamers a disservice. But guess what? They are not the only ones! Fanboys/fanatics such as yourself are also doing gamers a disservice as well! "Congratulations"... rolleyes

And why would someone "step up and create a flight sim" when many of the remaining simmers such as yourself only seem to care about DCS?? How can someone (a potential combat flight sim developer) think it will have any chance at all to compete with a sim which is a major cluster f**k and at the same time the most vocal simmers defend it so staunchly and this again, despite being a major cluster f**k?? How can someone compete against such a "paradigm"??

I usually wonder and honestly think that the best thing that could happen with the combat flight sim genre would be for ED to go bankrupt/out of business since I strongly believe that it will only be after something like this happening that someone else will finally step up and create a flight sim!

#4484716 - 08/01/19 03:36 AM Re: DCS: F-16C Viper [Re: Sokol1]  
bisher Offline
I'll be your Huckleberry
bisher  Offline
I'll be your Huckleberry
Veteran

Manitoba, Canada
Wynn's post seemed more middle-of-the-road, than fanatic. At least that's how I read it

I will eventually purchase the falcon. Not as a fanatic, or a fanboy, but as a military aircraft enthusiast

#4484960 - 08/03/19 12:19 AM Re: DCS: F-16C Viper [Re: Sokol1]  
LOF_Rugg Offline
LOF_Rugg  Offline

I think it's safe to say most of us prefer to include some A/A action in our sorties. ED still hasn't fixed the flawed code that makes a 30 mile missile (IRL) into a maybe it'll hit at 10 miles AMRAAM. It's been 10 years since ED actually admitted their code is fuxored. Yet still no fix on one of the very most important things we like to do in a combat flight sim. That being said, if they aren't fixing something that's relatively important, do you really think they're gonna finish that module. I mean, since they've already not finished several................

#4485004 - 08/03/19 03:39 PM Re: DCS: F-16C Viper [Re: LOF_Rugg]  
Paradaz Offline
Paradaz  Offline

UK
Originally Posted by LOF_Rugg
I think it's safe to say most of us prefer to include some A/A action in our sorties. ED still hasn't fixed the flawed code that makes a 30 mile missile (IRL) into a maybe it'll hit at 10 miles AMRAAM. It's been 10 years since ED actually admitted their code is fuxored. Yet still no fix on one of the very most important things we like to do in a combat flight sim. That being said, if they aren't fixing something that's relatively important, do you really think they're gonna finish that module. I mean, since they've already not finished several................

....and especially when there is easy money to be made churning out mission pack after mission pack

On the Eighth day God created Paratroopers and the Devil stood to attention.
#4485023 - 08/03/19 07:09 PM Re: DCS: F-16C Viper [Re: LOF_Rugg]  
Flogger23m Offline
Flogger23m  Offline

US
Originally Posted by LOF_Rugg

They're apparently working on it with the AIM-7 being the first. No idea how far that has progressed.

The only insight about "real world" performance I've heard is that AIM-120 (and other similar missiles) have a notably lower PK than what flight simmers seem to expect. And that flight simmers in DCS and Falcon like to put on unrealistic pay loads that wouldn't be possible in real life or are possible but would never been done due to the severe damage they cause to the aircraft. EX) More than AGM-65s per wing on an F-16.

#4485033 - 08/03/19 08:34 PM Re: DCS: F-16C Viper [Re: Sokol1]  
Reschke Offline
Plankowner
Reschke  Offline
Plankowner

Vestavia, AL
I'll likely get it but not until closer to the drop dead date on my bonus bucks; which expire in January since I bought the Tomcat back in January of this year right before it went off pre-purchase....but I have to get some rudder pedals as well before I buy anymore modules of anything.

Star Citizen Referal Code
STAR-MP6J-VFH7

i7-13700K @ 3.40GHz
32GB RAM
GeForce 3060RTX
MSI MAG Z790 Tomahawk
lots of SSD's and a good old fashioned 1TB HDD
Samsung G9 Odyssey 49"
TrackIR 5 with Track Clip Pro
Windows 11 64bit
Warthog #1397...compliments of SimHQ
#4485051 - 08/04/19 12:04 AM Re: DCS: F-16C Viper [Re: Sokol1]  
mdwa Offline
mdwa  Offline

Way over in Perth, Western Aus...
I'm still waiting for AG radar before I buy the Hornet...

mdwa
#4485678 - 08/09/19 11:58 PM Re: DCS: F-16C Viper [Re: Flogger23m]  
ricnunes Offline
ricnunes  Offline

Portugal
Originally Posted by Flogger23m

The only insight about "real world" performance I've heard is that AIM-120 (and other similar missiles) have a notably lower PK than what flight simmers seem to expect.

And the insight about "real world" performance of missiles that I've heard, namely on the AMRAAM is that its Pk is far, far bigger/higher in real life compared to the DCS... rolleyes

#4485758 - 08/10/19 07:29 PM Re: DCS: F-16C Viper [Re: ricnunes]  
Flogger23m Offline
Flogger23m  Offline

US
Originally Posted by ricnunes

The only insight about "real world" performance I've heard is that AIM-120 (and other similar missiles) have a notably lower PK than what flight simmers seem to expect.

And the insight about "real world" performance of missiles that I've heard, namely on the AMRAAM is that its Pk is far, far bigger/higher in real life compared to the DCS... rolleyes

AIM-120 has around a 10 mile range against fighters in DCS so I think that has a lot to do with it. It looses energy so quickly.

#4485785 - 08/10/19 11:20 PM Re: DCS: F-16C Viper [Re: Flogger23m]  
ricnunes Offline
ricnunes  Offline

Portugal

AIM-120 has around a 10 mile range against fighters in DCS so I think that has a lot to do with it. It looses energy so quickly.

Yes, that's indeed a fact but it's not the only issue regarding the AMRAAM (and perhaps even other air-to-air missiles in DCS).
As an another example, I perfectly remember a situation that happened to me something like a year or two ago while flying with the F-15C in a mission where I decided to shoot at an enemy Mig-29 with an AMRAAM. In this case in particular I decided to watch the missile's flight (even because that Mig was the only enemy aircraft in the vicinity) and what happened next puzzled me even further:
- The missile in this case initially flew in an apparent correct flight profile towards the enemy Mig-29. As the missile got closer to the Mig with the Mig flying a bit below the Missile then the missile flew directly and exactly towards the point where it would intercept/hit the Mig (lead pursuit, just as as expected) then I thought to myself - This Mig is toasted! - but then as the missile was going to impact/destroy the Mig-29 then it happened the weirdest and stupidest thing that I ever saw in any Combat Flight Simulator - Instead of just continuing to fly straight (which would lead to an impact/kill) the missile FLIPPED something like 45 degrees in an upper and leftward position from its current flight path and thus completely avoided the enemy aircraft!! It's even more stupid if we think that the missile at that point shouldn't have that much energy but it flew upwards just like if it was launched at that time! duh

#4487791 - 08/29/19 02:48 AM Re: DCS: F-16C Viper [Re: IamFritz]  
Punkture Offline
Punkture  Offline

Expectations in the late 90's and early 2000's were just too high to reach with the available tech at the time. Development took way longer than your average FPS game and the ROI was minimal for such a niche hyper-critical customer base. It really is too bad, as flight sims were just really starting to mature.

Now we have the tech. We just don't have the big companies willing to invest in the products we love.

I'd be happy if someone ported or reconstructed DID's EF2000 in DCS.

CPU: Intel I7-7700K
Motherboard: ASUS Z270-K
Primary HD: Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 1TB Internal PCI Express 3.0 x4 (NVMe) Solid State Drive with V-NAND Technology
Secondary HD: Seagate 2TB FireCuda 3.5-Inch SATA 6Gb/s 7200-RPM 64 Cache Gaming SSHD
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3000MHz
GPU: EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti
PSU: EVGA 850W 80+ Gold
HOTAS: Thrustmaster Warthog/ Thrustmaster TFRP Flight Rudder Pedals
VR: Oculus Rift
TrackIR 5
#4487927 - 08/30/19 10:44 AM Re: DCS: F-16C Viper [Re: Sokol1]  
Winfield Offline
model citizen
Winfield  Offline
model citizen

QLD
There was an F16 simulation where the squadron was based in Turkey. If ED ported that f-16 aircraft, I'd consider buying it. Can't remember what it was called but it was back in the XTree gold days.

Page 2 of 14 1 2 3 4 13 14

Moderated by  Force10, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
CD WOFF
by Britisheh. 03/28/24 08:05 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.