Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 594 of 608 1 2 592 593 594 595 596 607 608
#4484534 - 07/30/19 12:02 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) **** [Re: SNAFU]  
Old Dux Offline
Hotshot
Old Dux  Offline
Hotshot

Derbyshire
Chaps,

JRT,

'M' is fine thanks and doing well at the new school. She will be 11 in November...how the years go by. Piano lessons last night!

Boris has a fair degree of charisma and is broadly supported by the Great British hopeful. Early days yet but there seems to be a higher degree of enthusiasm among more people for an end to the Brexit fiasco.

The Everlys were very popular here in the late fifties and early sixties when their records were regularly placed high in the charts. Shame that so many brothers like them couldn't eventually get on together. Oasis, Dire Straits, Kinks etc.

'Find your enemy and shoot him down - everything else is unimportant.'

Manfred von Richtofen
---------------------------

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4484574 - 07/30/19 06:32 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

Dux:

Of course, the Everly Bros. were very popular here in their home country. My cousin and I often tried to match their amazing harmony on Saturday nights when our band played for the big dance at the American Legion.

We practiced many hours trying our best to mimic what was the best. The kids at the dance never complained. So I guess it was passable. "When will I be loved" was a favorite of the audience. "I'll do my crying in the rain " was another. "Devoted to you" and my personal favorite of all "Let it be me" were standards in our repertoire. One tune we both liked was "I kissed you".

Sometime, Dux, I find myself getting out the old Wayback machine and reminiscing about those halcyon days of the 60's. Days when all was well with my world and I had so few responsibilities. As I look back now, it seems the grass was always green and the sky always a beautiful Carolina blue.

It wasn't of course but the prismatic intervening decades between then and now have a way of making life seem so perfect back then. I had all I needed for happiness, a pretty girlfriend, a candy copper colored '57 Chevy that was the envy of all the guys, a guitar I could hardly play and a voice that could sing. Yes, and a few dollars every saturday for gas money. So simple it was back then to be so very happy.

I dunno about Boris. Less than a hundred days until Brexit is a very short time for anyone to produce a miracle. I wish him and you all good luck.

BTW, I read he musses that straw colored thatched roof of his every time just before going on camera. Hmmmm. Come to think on it, that doo of his kinda reminds me of someone else's. No, LeRoy not Dux's fashionable doo. His doo is white. Think man, it's someone closer to home.

No big deal say I. The fifty-four Prime Ministers, male and female between Sir Robert Walpole (1721) and Theresa May (2016), all had their quirks and idiosyncrasies. Mr. Johnson is just the next in that long line. What matters is not his personal ticks and quirks but how well he can govern. The British people have spoken.

Our brothers and sisters across the big wet spot have put their trust in former London Mayor Boris Johnson. We pray he will govern well. So much depends upon it.

OK, this is no venue for politics. Pardon the intrusion of a minor and much uninformed and distant views of recent British politics.

Originally Registered January,2001 Member Number 3044

"Blessed are they who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed" - Edmond Gwenn, "The Trouble With Harry"

CELEBRATING EIGHTEEN YEARS and over 20 MILLION VIEWS on SNAFU's HWH thread- April 2019
#4484884 - 08/02/19 01:04 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Fittop Offline
Fittop  Offline

US
Y'all,

Nothing of public importance here, except the break from Summer is over.
Pale lawns, heat, and finally, a reluctant return to seeing 100F degrees outside.
Oh yeah, after reading the posts above, had to put on some Everly Brothers music and remember the era.

#4484929 - 08/02/19 06:28 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

Almost 1,200 pages of type. Recently, I had begun thinking I was just texting to myself.... Yes, I've actually done that, though reading it back taught me precious little. wink

Fittop:

Pant. Wheeze. Swelter. Sizzle!

Yup, nothing but high and low 90's F. here with high humidity until today. Highs in the low 80's F. for a few days. This might seem a heat wave back in the spring, yet now it is received with a feeling of delightful relief. Needed rain is on the way later on.

The Everlys feature permanently on my playlist, as well. Now, if our world could match their harmony, what a world it might be.

"Blessed are they who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed" - Edmond Gwenn, "The Trouble With Harry"

CELEBRATING EIGHTEEN YEARS and over 20 MILLION VIEWS on SNAFU's HWH thread- April 2019
#4484986 - 08/03/19 09:34 AM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Old Dux Offline
Hotshot
Old Dux  Offline
Hotshot

Derbyshire
Chaps,

JRT,

We have recently sorted the harmonies to When Will I Be Loved and they now sound rather less like they did last week when they resembled a group undergoing joint vasectomy without anaesthetic.

Under consideration is the delightfully, non-politically correct Wooly Bully by Sam the Sham and the Pharaohs. Check out their vid on YouTube. hahaha

Manfred von Richtofen

#4485026 - 08/03/19 07:57 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
McGonigle Offline
Motorius Emeritus
McGonigle  Offline
Motorius Emeritus

Copenhagen, Denmark
Gents,

Summer comes and goes. How the weather will be tomorrow, nobody knows.....

Dux, good you sorted the Everly harmonies. Hopefully your band will now be even more appreciated than usual!

I'm thinking of getting a guitar package with a Fender, an amp and whatever else such a package holds, for the coming winter season. I have the same mentality as Pippi Longstocking, Astridf Lindgren's fictional figure who said something to the effect of; "I have not tried this before, so naturally I will be able to do it!".

On a more sombre note, City Boy's Lol Mason has passed away. City Boy was a Mancunian band releasing albums and singles in the eighties, with hit such as 5-7-0-5 and The Day the Earth Caught Fire. The less known songs from the albums were actually far superior to the hits. With a blend of good songwriting, good musicianship and clever lyrics, a quick and generalising description of the music might be; a bit of Queen mixed with quite a bit of 10cc, but still very original and unique. A band that sadly was and still is, vastly underrated.

On another note of business, I have attempted to read the book behind the movie Hidden Figures, and said attempt has now been halted, aborted and stopped. In my opinion the book is almost wholly about the Civil Rights movement and the NASA, engineering and spaceflight angle incidental to the story. I can see where the scriptwriters were inspired, but rightly they threw a lot away, and focused the story on the space flight whilst amalgamating some of the book's endless descriptions of too many people doing things slightly different over a longer period of years. Example: One went to the restroom with the hated signs, one protested on the first occasion and was hired into a group where it wasn't a problem, one just went to the room everyone used as there was no sign. Big deal! Also, the author suffers from adjectivititis and literary syndrome; far too many adjectives, fancy words and "clever" analogies.

Jens C. Lindblad

Sent from my Desktop
#4485056 - 08/04/19 12:26 AM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

Dux:

Oh, I well remember "Wooly Bully". To the astonishment of some of my teachers, I was recently graduated somewhat early from my high school. I had managed to get a "summer job" flipping burgers as an assistant manager of a joint similar to Mickey "D's". That song was very popular at the time and got a lot of play on local radio. One of the lads brought a portable radio to work so I heard it a lot.

Maybe in memory of Sam, you should all don cloth "Pharaoh hats" (see below) when you perform that one?

MG:

Yes, today was a bit cooler with temps in the low to mid 80's F. No needed rain yet.

Sorry the book was a big disappointment. I have never read it. My poor vision makes reading regular print books difficult. At present I am about halfway through the whole 1950's TV series "Victory at Sea" on Amazon Prime. I remember looking forward to every new installment of that series as a kid.

Attached Files Pharaoh crown.jpg

#4485380 - 08/07/19 03:35 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Fittop Offline
Fittop  Offline

US
Y'all,

Thanks for the escape from the current sadness. We are still reading, JRT. reading

The "Victory at Sea" series was a highlight of the times when one was cognizant of the triumphs and the sacrifices that we would be facing as we headed to adulthood.
Somehow the realization hit home that it would soon be our turn to take those men's places. -They were mostly men, but the women were right there also.
Some even in the same jobs but most doing essential tasks without which no front line would exit.

You guys are sending me back to search for my Frankie Lymon reel to reel tapes, which presently I have no way to play.
Did not know until You-Tube mentioned it, the name of his backup singers group.
The last I read of Herman, one of the group, was trying to get paid for his residuals and had heart problems.
That was way back. He was (is?) a nice guy. Some of the others were drawn to the bright lights.
But I remember Herman tapping out rhythms on the street corner. Hard worker.

#4485391 - 08/07/19 04:38 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

Confirmed:July 2019 was the hottest month on record in the UK and Europe. It wasn't especially cool where I was either....

Fittop.:

The nation mourns for those unlucky souls so horribly wasted in El Paso and other US cities so recently. May time and the love between those loved ones left behind ease the unimaginable pain of their their great loss.

There is a list for just about everything including what triggers memories. They say a familiar aroma is the most dependable memory launcher. I'd add music very high on that list. Oscar Hammerstein's rousing theme music (suite) foe VAS was a big plus as well. I had the LP album much later on.

After Korea, the torch was indeed passed to another generation of men and women who stepped up and answered the call in Vietnam. This was to be a different experience for many however. To come home from those killing fields in SE Asia to be spit upon by those who never went but enjoyed the benefit of free men was a terrible thing to endure for doing their duty. IMHO if there was a quarrel it should have been between the American citizen and his government , with not those boys coming home legless and armless or mentally scarred and emotionally disturbed.

I do not pity those heros today. I pity those who jeered at them and spat upon them or called them all manner of names. The scars have perhaps faded, the pain a distant memory. The suffering is mostly behind the vets who came back.No, I don't pity the heros. It is those who did the unthinkable. Those who showed disrespect to those returning home from desperate battles. For they must still answer for their actions before the very highest court of all and before the highest judge. May He forgive them. I cannot, I will not.

Sorry for the rant.

#4485618 - 08/09/19 01:51 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Fittop Offline
Fittop  Offline

US
Y'all

The heat and humidity is back and staying locally.
The lack of attention becomes evident when the grass is no longer green out in spots in the front yard.
Warnings of the bad effects of the heat are everywhere. From staying hydrated to wearing a hat.
Even I wear a baseball cap if working on the yard, a task which is minimal now as I get older.

Locally, a news story of an airline pilot bringing back his father's remains on his flight. Father was shot down in SEA.
No apology needed for a rant.

Flight Attendants learned to be very careful waking the troops on the way back as they never knew what to expect from the boys, now men, who had been sleeping in the fields and tents.
It was different from seeing the signs plastered on subways and buses asking to cede the seats to the elderly and handicapped veterans from earlier times. A sign that was almost always obeyed by all.

The last time I rode a bus was from dropping and retrieving a car from a shop, more than twelve years ago.

Maybe we should ride a bus more often to share some commonality.
We're all in this together; something that seems to be forgotten by the powerful.
Nothing like waiting at a bus stop to bring you down to ground level.

#4485737 - 08/10/19 05:04 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

Fittop:

Temps are back in the 90's here, too. No one can complain about the brown spots in our yard because everyone has them too. The water levels in creeks and rivers are dropping as well. We had one good rain last week and that came in such a heavy downpour most of it just ran off. We need a long, slow, soaking rain and cooler temps.

Busses. It has been over 50 years since I last rode on a public bus or a bus of any kind for that matter. Grandmother and I used to take the bus quite often when I was small. Mostly it was to take me to get a penicillin shot at the local clinic. Yes, I remember waiting for a bus beside the bank building on the other side of the ACL tracks in Edgecombe County. The RR tracks divided the two counties. The bus stop was directly under the bank's big clock .

The clock lasted longer than the bank did though it no longer kept up with the time. Perhaps that is also the reason the bank went out of business? Or perhaps they just moved?

The time I rode with grandmother was a time when some folks couldn't sit up front. They all went to the back of the bus. I couldn't understand why they did that. There were plenty of seats up front. When I asked grandmother about it, she said it wasn't right but they had to because they were "colored" people.

I was confused by that, so I asked "But grandmother, aren't we "colored too?" "Yes, son, but we are "white". "We are all the same to God but not to many men." she said. "Never judge people as a group, only as individuals and you won't go wrong", she wisely advised. I have tried to do that ever since.

I remember riding the bus downtown with my grandmother one warm summer morning. It was a time before malls took most of the trade from downtown merchants. The sidewalks were crowded with early shoppers. Without anyone noticing, I brought out my trusty peashooter and ammo. I soon busied myself with plinking people carrying packages behind the ear or the head.

What fun! Their reaction was what you'd expect. Most thought what hit them was an insect. As the buss rolled along, I had more and more easy, unsuspecting targets. It was a "target rich environment".

I had a grand old time.... that is, I did until my grandmother noticed what I was up to. I never saw that peashooter again.

#4485843 - 08/11/19 05:05 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

A bit cooler finally. And I do mean a bit. High temp today is expected to be in the high 80's F.

I see others have had far worse weather. The stormy weather seems to be ramping up in the Netherlands. Amsterdam was hit hard by tornadoes. MG, I wondered if Scandinavia and Copenhagen in particular are subject to these dangerous storms? What I found online indicates a definite "yes". I was somehow totally unaware of this.

Perusing the forum for new posts, I was excited to see a recent post regarding BoB and Win 10 several threads down. Perhaps there might be some hope.

#4485851 - 08/11/19 06:22 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
McGonigle Offline
Motorius Emeritus
McGonigle  Offline
Motorius Emeritus

Copenhagen, Denmark
Gents,

Roger; Tornadoes are not unknown in Europe. In fact they have been recorded since the year 788: Wiki

Since the year 788 the number of journalists and media outlets however have increased dramatically and obviously spectacular headlines and videos sell. I haven't personally witnessed one singe tornado in my whole life and I don't expect to. Thus they hold no place in my consciousness.

I did manage a 50 mile ride today in a 13.7 miles per hour wind.

Jens C. Lindblad

Sent from my Desktop
#4485852 - 08/11/19 07:14 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

MG:

We are accustomed to tornados and hurricanes, as you know. Tornados have more power and give less warning. They are especially feared at at night or when hidden by a rain shield. I'd be happy, were I you, if I NEVER did see one other than in a film or on TV. 🌪️

Err.....was that a tail or frontal wind? 😄

No matter, quite a receptacle ride in either case. One I could never match. In the past, I have however completed many long hikes in all types of weather. That too is pretty much behind me now.

#4485857 - 08/11/19 08:05 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: Jolly Roger Two]  
McGonigle Offline
Motorius Emeritus
McGonigle  Offline
Motorius Emeritus

Copenhagen, Denmark
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger Two
Folks,

MG:

Err.....was that a tail or frontal wind? 😄

All of the above inluding sidewind. It gave a noticeable effect when ridning in an avenue lined by trees.

Jens C. Lindblad

Sent from my Desktop
#4485975 - 08/12/19 09:26 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Fittop Offline
Fittop  Offline

US
Y'all,

I admire your endurance and stamina, McGonigle.
My years of being very conscious and embarrassed of my biking legs are unfortunately way behind me.

Accustomed to tornadoes and hurricanes? Not me.
Yes I hear and see them and their effects on the news, but never seen a tornado and hope to never see one live.
Been close, but thankfully, no more than a tornado warning and a few miles away.

Have seen and felt hurricane winds and been through a couple. Even took off the last airplane before one hit a major city but never have waded through the usual flood or devastation afterward.

Not among my top ten yearnings, but I would - not happily - endure small increments of triple digit temperatures instead. With that, I mean at a hundred F. max 101..
Aww heck, don't have to test me, Mother Nature.

Best go read the latest on BOB and Wind 10.

Last edited by Fittop; 08/13/19 01:07 AM.
#4486010 - 08/13/19 07:53 AM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Old Dux Offline
Hotshot
Old Dux  Offline
Hotshot

Derbyshire
Chaps,

All quiet here with people away and enjoying the enduring rain which has blighted many a holiday for some 2 weeks now, I suspect.

No word from group members for nearly a week. Lead guitarist's wife not well at the moment and our main vocalist is on business in South Carolina. Maybe not too far from you Rog.

Manfred von Richtofen

#4486060 - 08/13/19 04:04 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

Dux:

Don't feel like the Lone Ranger Dux. You can visit us anytime.

Well, mate I dunno. SC is a rather large state (especially if you are travelling on foot). Your friend might be hiding anywhere. Our state's area is 53,819.2 miles or 1.42 %of the total US. South Carolina's area is a respectable 32,020.5 miles or .84% of the total US.

It might help me determine how close we may be if you narrowed the location down just a bit. 😜

So your band members have dispersed to the four corners? One good thing about the digital age is that this is not a problem. Each member can record a digital track and send it to someone who can assemble it digitally. Then send the complete music back online to each member. Thus, you can actually practice at great distances from each other. If you use an open source software including a good DAW (these are usually free or inexpensive) you can set yourself up to record at little cost other than your robust computer system.

I recommend the "Reaper" DAW (Digital Audio Workstation). It isn't exactly "Free" but you are free to experiment with it for as long as you like. Yes, there is a considerable learning curve but there are tons of tutorials and the software is continually updated with bug fixes and new features.

Another free DAW is called "Audacity". This is completely free to download and use. It has a simpler GUI than Reaper. No limits to the number of tracks just like "Reaper". These are both the full programs, not crippled versions. I've used them both.

I understand that setting it all up and bringing everyone up to speed will take valuable time. At our age time may be something we feel short on. Learning new things will sharpen our wits and cause us to feel younger. IMHO it is worth it in the long run. No, I heard that, just not true. You must read Lassie's autobiography. According to her, "old dogs" learn new tricks daily, and when they do, they live longer.

The book title? "A Wagging Good Tale" 😜 🐶

#4486087 - 08/13/19 06:35 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
McGonigle Offline
Motorius Emeritus
McGonigle  Offline
Motorius Emeritus

Copenhagen, Denmark
Gents,

Fittop, thank you for your kind words.

There were a couple of rides when it was hot, 86 F -ish where I had to take it a bit easy. The temperatures have dropped since which helped me ride longer distances. However we've apparently hit upon rain season with occasional quite heavy showers. It is quite unpredictable where and when they hit. One minute we're looking at a near clear sky, a minute later it pours. Makes me wonder if I should purchase a water cycle next.

Roger, I've dabbled a bit with Audacity and what scares me is that I once knew how to record a full LP side and then split each track for tagging etc. but now I've completely forgotten how to do it. My last attempt left me unsuccessful and I gave up. And now my Apple-TV is acting up and the only things I can think of is to ensure that the remote is charged (check) and unplug, then reconnect the power cord (in process). Technology. Sheeeesh!

Jens C. Lindblad

Sent from my Desktop
#4486219 - 08/14/19 05:56 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

Temp. in the upper 80's F. at 1:42 PM. Feels like 100° F. combined with the 10 mph SW wind and 70% humidity. I'd pray for fall but our falls are usually quite warm.

MG:

Sheesh, indeed. I respected Steve Jobs as a tech innovator but did not like Steve Jobs as a person. Despite my interest in the graphic arts; I have no experience with the Apple World. IMHO too many proprietary constraints and unsubstantiatable high prices for Moi. I do like that Apple seems to update software often for security. Android is, again, IMHO more customisable.

Back in 2016 when I was using "Audacity"; here is how I split tracks:
If you want to divide a track into two parts, just use the Selection tool to click on the actual position. Do the same if you want to divide it into three sections. After clicking once, you have to split the audio file. To do this, press Ctrl + I or go to Edit > Clip Boundaries > Split.

I use two tiny progs. called "MP3Gain" and "MP3Tag" for post production tagging and batch volume adjustments of MP3's. "Audacity" worked fine but did not give me all the features I wanted back then. Maybe it does now. So I found "Reaper" to be a better alternative. You should easily find a helpful "Audacity" tut on Youtube.

Page 594 of 608 1 2 592 593 594 595 596 607 608

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
CD WOFF
by Britisheh. 03/28/24 08:05 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.