Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#4475185 - 05/23/19 02:51 PM Any titbits going forward?  
Adger Offline
Adger  Offline

Hi guys hope it's ok to ask. I'm seeing improvements and potential addons coming to WOFFUE,a new flyable aswell is on the way isn't it? It also seems that your "mulling" over other options in WOFF aswell

I love WOFFUE..in fact I love everything OBD has done and have been around since P2. And I absolutely look forward to anything OBD related Im just wondering if there's anything going forwards with regards to WOTR too. I'm loving the Spit,Hurricane and 109 and am just wondering if any new flyables/phases are in the works?. Please this isn't a rant or in any way a criticism. I'm loving WOTR and if the same love shown so far in this sim can be incorporated into new flyables/phases then what a brilliant WW2 aerial combat sim this could become.
I understand Dev teams keep their cards close to their chests but..if you don't ask you don't get thumbsup

Thanks OBD for 2 fantastic sims and I genuinely wish you all the success in the world going forwards.

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.
#4475233 - 05/23/19 07:48 PM Re: Any titbits going forward? [Re: Adger]  
ChiefWH Offline
ChiefWH  Offline

I'm also keen to hear what the future may or may not bring.WoTR is a brilliant fighter experience for now, but there are things that could be brought in to make it better, or the appearance of a new player controlled aircraft would be interesting, very interesting if one of the bombers. Or, simply being able to play the BoFr locations with what we have would be nice.

Most importantly I'd like to know where to be focusing my mapping!

#4475289 - 05/24/19 09:05 AM Re: Any titbits going forward? [Re: Adger]  
Polovski Offline
Polovski  Offline

Hotshot

To be fair it's only in the last month or so you have us talking more about WOFF again. You have already seen LOTS of improvements plus a FREE flyable Spitfire Mk Ia come for WOTR in recent months, and we have spent the vast majority of our time on WOTR in the last 18 months or so. We have also tried to keep WOFF updated. Now we are working on WOFF again for a while, and will hopefully try to keep WOTR updated too.

There are basically two of us working on two products (with help from WOFF and WOTR volunteers helping with testing and making skins). There is plenty we could do of course, we just need 48 hour days, and funding.

Last edited by Polovski; 05/24/19 09:07 AM.

Regards,

Polovski,
OBD Software, developers of immersive flight sims;
Wings Over Flanders Fields and Wings Over The Reich
http://www.overflandersfields.com
http://www.wingsoverthereich.com
#4475292 - 05/24/19 09:34 AM Re: Any titbits going forward? [Re: Adger]  
Polovski Offline
Polovski  Offline

Hotshot

.. and it's true to our word we said about two years ago, that we would incorporate WOTR improvements back into WOFF later (and some said we wouldn't do that). We have already added some, and the next patch 4.22 will add a number more plus the free flyable Fokker D.VI.

We have work to do, and we hope to support both, but we have to alternate.

Regards,

Polovski,
#4475299 - 05/24/19 10:46 AM Re: Any titbits going forward? [Re: Adger]  
Adger Offline
Adger  Offline

Thanks Pol for taking the time out to reply..Yep I remember you saying some the WOTR improvements might be incorporated into WOFF,the next patch/addon sounds excellent.

Thanks for the flyable Spit she's a beauty,I'm hoping that one day with support etc that WOTR will be has what's the word.."fleshed"? Out has WOFF. But in the meantime il continue to enjoy and support both. A flyable bomber would be awesome..maybe 2 weeks biggrin only kidding guys.

Keep up the great work POL and WM,since WOTR came along my WOFF flying has got less and less,I know I'm being greedy in asking for more and more I suppose I've been spoilt with WOFF over the years.
Anyway again thanks guys keep up the great work on both your fantastic sims. cheers

We will remember them.
#4475300 - 05/24/19 11:07 AM Re: Any titbits going forward? [Re: Adger]  
Trooper117 Online smile
Hotshot
Trooper117  Online Smile
Hotshot

UK
They keep giving, we keep buying... works for me! smile

#4475350 - 05/24/19 03:42 PM Re: Any titbits going forward? [Re: Adger]  
Robert_Wiggins Offline
BWOC Survivor!...So Far!!
Robert_Wiggins  Offline
BWOC Survivor!...So Far!!
Hotshot

Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
Funding and sales would significantly help speed up development!

More sales would likely come if WWI and WWII movies were again produced to stimulate the public interest.

Sadly, that is not the case and flight sims of this genre are a small niche in the gaming industry these days.

Hope that changes.

Last edited by Robert_Wiggins; 05/24/19 03:43 PM.

(System_Specs)
Case: Cooler Master Storm Trooper
PSU: Ultra X3,1000-Watt
MB: Asus Maximus VI Extreme
Mem: Corsair Vengeance (2x 8GB), PC3-12800, DDR3-1600MHz, Unbuffered
CPU: Intel i7-4770K, OC to 4.427Ghz
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 240M Liquid CPU Cooler
Vid Card: ASUS GTX 980Ti STRIX 6GB
OS and Games on separate: Samsung 840 Series 250GB SSD
Monitor: Primary ASUS PG27AQ 4k; Secondary Samsung SyncMaster BX2450L
Periphs: MS Sidewinder FFB2 Pro, TrackIR 4

#4481836 - 07/06/19 11:17 PM Re: Any titbits going forward? [Re: Robert_Wiggins]  
Grunt0331 Offline
Grunt0331  Offline

^I don't think more movies would increase sales necessarily. Building a product to make it stand out from the crowd would do more. This one was supposed to be a day one purchase for me, but I was surprised when the sim released with a focus on the Battle of Britain and only 2 flyable aircraft. There are so many other options out there...IL-2 1946, IL-2 CLOD BLitz, IL-2 Box, DCS WWII, etc. etc. These sims collectively give players dozens of flyable aircraft and maps. In this regard WOTR seems much more limited and while the promise of a very focused single player experience is extremely enticing to me, it just hasn't been enough to force me over the ledge. Put a flyable JU-87, JU-88, HE-111, BF-110, etc. and I probably won't be able to resist.

Also, I think it is noble to be putting effort back into WOFF...but that decision doesn't really seem to make sense to me with a new-ish title out there and such limited development resources. WOFF was a labor of love and was a true accomplishment, but with WOTR in the somewhat "hollow" state that it is in, I think the team would be better off putting 100% of its effort into WOTR.

Anyway, just my unsolicited .02.

Last edited by Grunt0331; 07/06/19 11:20 PM.

de.ci.sive.ness\ n. 1. Ability to make decisions promptly and to announce them in clear, forceful manner. 2. See United States Marine.
#4481863 - 07/07/19 05:04 AM Re: Any titbits going forward? [Re: Adger]  
Blade_Meister Offline
Blade_Meister  Offline

Atlanta, GA, USA
Grunt0331, I guess it is just me but right now, CLOD Blitz and IL2 Box have boring AI. Each Developer says they are reworking their AI which I am super happy for and have great expectations for both. I hope they are realized as I own both and am a single player. IL2 1946 has great AI and Team Dialdos has done great things with their last several patches, but IL2 1946 is looking tired. I still have 1 un-modded 4.12, a HSFX install, a DBW install, a Cup install and a BAT install so I still love it, but WOTR's Campaign, AI and Graphics(the weather, stunning 90% of the time) are better. DCS has some fun AI to fight, but the rest is just a mess, no Campaign, a resource Hog(not optimized) and I have been ripped off by them 2 times(VEAO P40 and Kickstarter WWII 1944 P47 & Me262 still not completed what 5 years later?). WOTR is a complete effort with 3 BOB planes(Hawker Hurricane, Supermarine Spitfire and Bf109) a working Campaign, AI that are fun and a challenge to fight 90% of the time(there are little quirks here & there) and the most important thing for me, I have Fun flying WOTR and I feel my time and money are well spent. Most of what you said rings true to me, but more content is not always better. I have all of those Sims you speak of but I rarely fly them because they each do one or two or maybe even three things very well, but in the end each of them fall down in some critical area that I just cannot suspend my desire for complete immersion in. WOTR has its places where the immersion is lacking, for me takeoff and landings. I don't dislike them but the mechanics are just very simple whereas BOX(after they revamped their planes landings) and DCS have really awesome physics in this area. For me at least this is one area that I can dismiss because once in the air, which is 90% of your Campaign time, everything just works to suck me into the immersion factor. WOTR doesn't have the best physics, the best weather(or maybe it does in my opinion), the best representation of numbers of enemy AI in the BOB, the best graphics, the most planes to fly, but, AND THIS IS A BIG BUT, it pulls all of these things together in a very polished way to give me one of the best experiences from taking off to formation flying, to following & completing our mission, to caring about my Squad Mates, to fighting a challenging AI, to having beautiful weather influencing the mission, to wanting to survive the BOB, to wanting to take awesome pictures in game, and to make me want to share my enjoyment of what the guys who make up OBD have done in creating WOTR. I have said this before and I think it warrants saying it again here and now. When I bought WOFF UE I felt a little disappointed after having come from ROF after many years because WOFF UE felt so different from ROF that I thought I had made a mistake and taken a step backwards and maybe wasted my money, and I had been told this in advance of buying WOFF UE. I thought the takeoffs and landings are so Microsoft simple and the Quick Combat was crazy and in 30 seconds all my enemies were gone and I struggled to enjoy this supposed great AI. I DECIDED TO STOP COMPARING WOFF UE AND LATER ON WOTR TO THE OTHER SIMS I HAD FLOWN OR WAS CURRENTLY FLYING, and,... I kept flying it. I started a true Campaign and after a couple of weeks I realized that WOFF UE had everything I had been looking for. All of the good qualities I mentioned above were found in WOFF UE and I knew this Sim had some soul and that I was barely scratching the surface of what is really there(WOFF UE has upwards of 70 planes I think). Well when I purchased WOTR I had similar feelings for a little while but this time I knew better. Once I was situated controller wise I jumped in a Campaign and sure enough this was a complete package to immerse me in BOB goodness. WOTR has soul just like WOFF UE and it is challenging and fun to fly. It may not have the number of planes in the sky as seen in BOBII Wings of Victory, or the best physics simulation, or the number of flyable planes, but WOTR has a measure of all of these things and OBD has done very well at pulling all of this together and offering a complete immersive SP experience that can be expanded upon. I am not sure how else to explain it but i thoroughly enjoy flying both WOFF UE & WOTR and I can only hope that each will be expanded upon for future editions.
I am curious, Grunt0331, do you own either WOFF UE or WOTR?

S!Blade<><

Last edited by Blade_Meister; 07/07/19 01:53 PM.
#4481868 - 07/07/19 06:28 AM Re: Any titbits going forward? [Re: Adger]  
Adger Offline
Adger  Offline

I own/fly most of what you've mentioned Grunt0331..Il1946 with B.A.T or the VP mod pack is incredibly well done the modders really have done an amazing job but I have to agree with Blade at times the old girl still looks "tired". Box series is steadily improving but for me the comms system,Ai,campaign mode and a few other personal issues let it down..the "feeling" of flight is 2nd to none same has CLOD but both at least for me feel soulless at times.

We have 3 flyables and I'm really enjoying the 109 especially now with Roberts brilliant skins incorporated but I've been around OBD since OFF phase 2 and each product takes time and possibly even more so now with only 2 I believe full time members?. What you get from OBD is soul,passion,and great support. Yep other sims do some things "better" but as an overall package OBD,S sims are hard to beat. In fact since WOTR was released I've not touched Clod or Il1946 and I've probably done bout 10-15 hrs on Box the only other "sims" I've touched since WOTR are a bit of WOFF,ETS2 and ATS you can't beat a bit of trucking haha.

But saying all this I do agree with some of your points Grunt..id love to see more flyables/phases a flyable bomber would be awesome right now. Im also almost certain that WOFF has a much higher player base than WOTR,of course it's gonna be it's been around far longer and is a lot more "polished" or "complete" which is possibly why the Devs are revisiting (Which they said they would) and focusing on adding new addons etc..Id love them to focus all their time on WOTR but I understand from their corner that WOFF addons/flyables with the player base already there would probably give them a better scource of income right now? I'd wager that the player base is possibly 80-20 in WOFFS favour compared to WOTR maybe even more pal. Hopefully if OBD can create enough income by releasing some stuff for WOFF that WOTR will also benefit in the long run..that's my hope anyway. Il say this though mate before I head off. It's 30 quid or dollars..I grabbed a pizza and some sides for me the missus and these bloody 2 teenagers of mine the other night it came to 28 quid,I know money's tight for some people I myself hate wasting but I work hard and enjoy a treat occasionally..WOTR for me so far with the hrs I've already enjoyed has been a bargain,I'm not sure of my total hrs so far but it's well into 3 figures and I've loved every minute of it. Hopefully soon Grunt0331 we will get some more "updates" regarding WOTR and we will hopefully see more of you if you decide to give WOTR a go..take care pal.

We will remember them.
#4481901 - 07/07/19 02:31 PM Re: Any titbits going forward? [Re: Blade_Meister]  
Grunt0331 Offline
Grunt0331  Offline

Hey guys...thanks for the informative and thoughtful replies...I do have WOFF UE...I also purchased it in some of its other forms along the development path, so I was definitely a supporter who saw the genius in what OBD was creating. I'm primarily a single player simmer, so the tremendous focus on the SP campaign experience is a huge draw for me. However, I'm not a huge fan of WWI aviation so I never spent as much time as I probably should have with WOFF. Maybe someday I'll go through a "dawn of aviation" phase and pick it back up.

In the meantime, you guys make some good points. "Soul" in a game or sim is something you can't always put your finger on, but it either has it, or it doesn't. For instance, some could argue that despite its age, Falcon BMS has much more soul than DCS, even though DCS has all the bells and whistles and looks gorgeous. I play DCS exclusively in VR, and just wow. Talk about immersion. Still, with its dynamic campaign, Falcon has something that DCS just doesn't and it might be years before we see anything like it in DCS, if ever.

I think it is only a matter of time until I cave and get WOTR, but something tells me I just won't play it if I get it now. I'm usually an impulse buyer...I buy everything if it even remotely interests me, so the fact that I'm holding off on this one says a lot. I guess, the fact that OBD is focusing on WOFF and isn't really talking about future plans of WOTR, has me concerned that there just won't be that much more on the horizon and the future for this sim is very uncertain. This approach toward the development of WOTR has sort of turned me off, I guess? I hope that makes some sense...

Last edited by Grunt0331; 07/07/19 02:35 PM.

de.ci.sive.ness\ n. 1. Ability to make decisions promptly and to announce them in clear, forceful manner. 2. See United States Marine.
#4481919 - 07/07/19 05:24 PM Re: Any titbits going forward? [Re: Adger]  
Adger Offline
Adger  Offline

It absolutely makes sense to me mate,it's your money and you choose what to spend it on. Like I mentioned Grunt I've flown since OFF P2 then went with P3 and HITR,onto WOFF with addons then WOFF UE so I pretty much have loved OBD and their sims for many a year and I try my best to support not just financially but also by posting screenshots in different forums and trying to help people with any questions they ask.

What I've always tried to be though is honest and I'd be a liar if I said anything other than I've also had a thought about the points you've raised regarding future development mate even before you raised them.

I suppose it's the old cliche..there won't be any future development unless there's support,this doesn't ring more true than in OBDS case,they arnt a big studio blessed with massive amounts of money or a big team..I'm pretty sure there's just POL and Winding Man that work full time with others doing voluntary work. Have they bitten off more than they can chew? Only POL and WM know but these guys know their stuff like the back of their hands and they never cease to amaze me with what they come up with but yep I'd love to see more WOTR stuff.

What I will say Grunt0331 is this..IF OBD don't do anymore regarding WOTR (I'd be very surprised if they didn't) then I Personnally arnt sore or bitter for what I've paid for it. I've already had my money's worth and then some..and I still fly at least one mission a day usually more il continue to fly and enjoy I'm sure for a long while to come yet pal.
Have a great day Grunt..take care mate.

We will remember them.
#4481933 - 07/07/19 06:43 PM Re: Any titbits going forward? [Re: Adger]  
Blade_Meister Offline
Blade_Meister  Offline

Atlanta, GA, USA
I actually bought CFS3 just so I could buy OFF1 if I am remembering it correctly. I used it for a while and wasn't overly impressed. I kept an eye on the next expansions and almost impulsively bought II & III but I never did. So how ever many years later this is I took the plunge and bought WOFF UE. Now I will buy whatever OBD produces and am happy to use it no matter what the future holds. Maybe WOTR has a future,... or maybe it doesn't, who knows. I just know I really enjoy both Sims and my money was well spent either way. I totally respect what you are saying Grunt0331, I just wanted to throw my 2 cents worth in on the other side of the doubt you have expressed. It is funny thought you say, "I play DCS exclusively in VR, and just wow", yet besides the VR itself, it must get boring after not long for a SP when there is no Campaign mode, limited static campaigns and very limited user made SP content. Never having used VR yet I am sure the WOW factor is incredible, but without solid SP content to WOW through, it would seem to become pointless after a short while. Quick Combat only goes so far in DCS(or WOTR for that matter), believe me I know, I own like 12 modules and have used ED since the Flanker 2.0 days up until just last year. After hearing all of the VR users say "after going VR, you will never go back to 2d" I am not sure that you would like WOTR in 2D. WOTR is just the opposite, all of the SP desired content is there and while the WOW of the weather and graphical atmosphere is enough for me, it may not be for you. The one thing I do know is if you ever have 29.99$ that you are fixing to waste on a couple of dumb movies or going to a "B" movie in the theaters, don't, just buy WOTR and let it sit on your desktop(make a backup!) for a while until it peeks your interest and then jump in with no comparison or judgement and just give it a month in Campaign mode and see where you go from there. At worst you wasted 29.99 just like you were going to do buying that other junk. Cheers to you Grunt0331 and thanks for your views and discussion of WOTR. thumbsup

This sums it up for me exactly, thanks Adger. I will shut up now! At least for a little while. winkngrin
Originally Posted by Adger

What I will say Grunt0331 is this..IF OBD doesn't produce anymore regarding WOTR (I'd be very surprised if they didn't) then I Personally am not(grammar Nazi!) sore or bitter for what I've paid for it. I've already had my money's worth and then some..and I still fly at least one mission a day usually more il continue to fly and enjoy I'm sure for a long while to come yet pal.

A very little while indeed! rolleyes
I wish I could find time to be as faithful at flying WOTR as you are. Maybe when fall comes I can get back on a disciplined daily schedule of WOTR flying. sigh
I am still working on my WOTR "AAR War Story" that is slowly becoming a Novel. hahaha It will be "Published" here on these Forums someday! yep

S!Blade<><

#4482100 - 07/09/19 10:56 AM Re: Any titbits going forward? [Re: Adger]  
Polovski Offline
Polovski  Offline

Hotshot

Well we just released a patch just two weeks ago for WOTR (!), and we are working on another to be released soon. We are also working on an add-on/expansion for WOFF. We still have plans to expand WOTR still plan on a Battle for France and other ideas, as long as we can keep going.
Obviously if everyone holds off buying it we won't be here to do that!

Edit, V1.17 is out now (2 updates in 2 weeks not too shabby).

Last edited by Polovski; 07/09/19 03:04 PM.

Regards,

Polovski,
#4482139 - 07/09/19 03:44 PM Re: Any titbits going forward? [Re: Polovski]  
Adger Offline
Adger  Offline

Originally Posted by Polovski
Well we just released a patch just two weeks ago for WOTR (!), and we are working on another to be released soon. We are also working on an add-on/expansion for WOFF. We still have plans to expand WOTR still plan on a Battle for France and other ideas, as long as we can keep going.
Obviously if everyone holds off buying it we won't be here to do that!

Edit, V1.17 is out now (2 updates in 2 weeks not too shabby).

Great news and your right Pol. How can ANY Dev team continue with addons/phases if people don't support their products..it'd be financial suicide. I spent more on Sunday on the beer with the lads than what WOTR cost me,and the only thing I had to show for it was a lousy headache that I'm still recovering from. banghead
Grab WOTR guys,show your support to OBD and hopefully we'll get France underway and who knows maybe a flyable bomber?and I guarantee the only headache you will have is wondering from which direction them 109,s will be coming in from. smile

We will remember them.
#4482154 - 07/09/19 06:11 PM Re: Any titbits going forward? [Re: Adger]  
Polovski Offline
Polovski  Offline

Hotshot

Thanks, if everyone sat on the fence it definitely won't happen. If we can't get people who enjoy single player immersive sims to buy it, then there's no point wink

Regards,

Polovski,
#4482186 - 07/09/19 09:55 PM Re: Any titbits going forward? [Re: Polovski]  
Adger Offline
Adger  Offline

Originally Posted by Polovski
Thanks, If we can't get people who enjoy single player immersive sims to buy it, then there's no point wink

Definitely Pol and this sim is as immersive as it gets..

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

We will remember them.
#4482208 - 07/10/19 02:07 AM Re: Any titbits going forward? [Re: Adger]  
Grunt0331 Offline
Grunt0331  Offline

#%&*$# you all to hell! I just caved and bought it.

Don't let me down OBD.

#4482217 - 07/10/19 06:15 AM Re: Any titbits going forward? [Re: Grunt0331]  
Rick_Rawlings Offline
Rick_Rawlings  Offline

Originally Posted by Grunt0331

Don't let me down OBD.

salute

The older I get, the more I realize I don't need to be Han, Luke or Leia. I'm just happy to be rebel scum...
#4482234 - 07/10/19 10:13 AM Re: Any titbits going forward? [Re: Grunt0331]  
Adger Offline
Adger  Offline

Originally Posted by Grunt0331

Don't let me down OBD.

Enjoy Grunt I'm sure you will pal thumbsup

We will remember them.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.