Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
#4480088 - 06/26/19 05:42 PM Re: Subnautica is amazing and frightening [Re: VF9_Longbow]  
JohnnyChemo Offline
JohnnyChemo  Offline

Buffalo, NY
So the fabricator is part of it, eh? I didn't realize that. I thought it consisted only of the freestanding console. Guess I'll have to put it back in. Funny, I managed to make the upgrades thinking that the fabricator was part of the moonpool, then took the upgrade console apart thinking it was useless and never noticed the fabricator was gone!

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.
This is known as "bad luck.”
-Robert Heinlein
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4480219 - 06/27/19 03:12 PM Re: Subnautica is amazing and frightening [Re: VF9_Longbow]  
JohnnyChemo Offline
JohnnyChemo  Offline

Buffalo, NY
Since I unlocked some wonderful new toys for my seabase, I decided to completely re-make my old base. I'm more of a minimalist by nature, so the new base is more bare bones, but seems like it has far more room than the previous base had.

Here's the prior incarnation:

[Linked Image]

...and here's the new version. I gotta get some quartz and make a couple of windows for the moonpool!

[Linked Image]

Of course this entailed getting every bit of material out of all the lockers in the old bits of base and making new lockers and transporting them, which was a bit annoying but I did it anyway.

Then I set off the check out the jellyshroom caves I had been exploring earlier. I should mention I'm using this map mod https://www.nexusmods.com/subnautica/mods/12
I've been using it since I started (along with a few others) and didn't realize there wasn't an actual map in the vanilla game. It's a pity, this is quite helpful. The map has a fog of war feature, so nothing I haven't traveled to is revealed (no spoilers), but
things like wrecks and thermal vents have icons on them, as do active beacons. This is very helpful for planning, and I recommend the mod wholeheartedly.

Anyway, onto the advenure...

I went back to the jellyshroom cave where I found the foundation and cargo crates and started exploring deeper. I had to be careful, as the snakes (I don't know the real name of them, they are too aggressive to scan for me right now) that live in the shrooms beat the hell out of my Seamoth when they get a chance. A few times I had to park it and repair it, one time the craft was down to 5%!

I found a habitat in what I think was the middle of the cavern, in it was a PDA with a beacon location to a full base. I set out to find that. Again, I was more searching for that beacon rather than exploring. When I've gotten something a little beefier (Prawn suit? Cyclops?) I will explore them more thoroughly. There are large rocks of materials I can't mine at the moment, and I"m sure I'll be needing them. My guess is the Prawn suit will be the answer there.

Following the beacon, I came upon the last(?) Degasi seabase. I carefully cruised around outside of it. I kept getting attacked by the snakes, so I tried turning off my light, thinking it was drawing them to me. I may have been right, as the attacks seemed to subside after that (or I may have been imagining it!) I found a place that seemed like it may be fairly safe to park and got out to explore around the base. I found a broken section that gave me access to the interior. I also picked up a few more PDAs, which detailed more of the story. In the first room, I found a water filtration system. My new mission is to get this built ASAP! No more hunting for salt, coral tubes, or bladderfish! I'll have to unlock that #%&*$# Aerogel. So my new mission really is to find whatever I need to get that Aerogel unlocked!

There is a luminescent hanging vine in throughout the base. I found out these are dangerous - they will do damage if you make contact. I kept an eye on my health, it didn't seem like there was too much damage, and I was carrying a few medkits, so I was not too concerned. I traveled through the base, trying to scan every piece I came in contact with. There didn't seem to be much outside of the water system though. I found a couple more PDA's and my O2 alert went off. Time to get out and back to the moth to air up.
Unfortunately, I went way too close to one of the damaging plants, and died! I woke up back at my base.

My Seamoth was down in the cavern, and I didn't think I'd stand a chance of getting to it before my air ran out or I got killed by the snakes, so I decided to rescue my other Seamoth I had left at the island. I picked it up without incident, and returned to my base to make a depth mod for it. Once it was equipped, I started following the beacon to my other craft & Degasi base. My surprise was how close it seemed. Apparently I traveled through the caverns a good way back toward my base. I hadn't realized that it was that close. Following the beacon, I found another entrance to the caverns. One of the PDA diaries I had read mentioned the main base was close to an entrance, and it was true.

I worked my way to the base (again!) and found my other moth. It was intact, apparently unmolested by the snakes! I parked and went in to the base to make sure I didn't miss anything important. I can't recall for sure, but I may have gotten one more PDA entry from it but nothing more. I returned to my 2nd moth, and it had gotten trashed by the snakes - down to 5% as I mentioned before. I fixed it up, and travelled up to the opening of the cavern. It would serve as a beacon for me with the other one.

Returning to my first moth, I found and unlocked the modification station just next to it. I looked around for other items to unlock, but there wasn't anything new to me there, so I returned to the moth. The trip back to the base was uneventful, as was my return to the other moth and its return to base. I've got two now at my base, the only difference is the color (I changed the color accidently when messing around with the vehicle modification station and never bothered to fix it) and the fact that one has storage lockers on it.

I also built the modification station in my base, and looked through some of the toys there. I'm going to go harvest some lithium next chance I get so I can get a better air tank, I also make a better set of fins and a heatknife. Good thing I have a battery charger, it looks like I'll be going through quite a few batteries!

Attached Files 2019-06-15_00003.jpg2019-06-26_00001.jpg
Last edited by JohnnyChemo; 06/27/19 04:03 PM. Reason: fixed pictures

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.
-Robert Heinlein
#4480225 - 06/27/19 03:32 PM Re: Subnautica is amazing and frightening [Re: VF9_Longbow]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
A map! A MAP!! What I wouldn't have given for a map! Haha, or I could have had fewer beacons deployed anyway smile

Nice base by the way. No fuss, just the facts. You should add an observatory with a table and a chair or two for sipping your morning coffee while reading the latest edition of Water Worlds World.

The rest should go in spoilers I believe.

The jellyshroom cave is one of my favorite places in the game. The second base screenshot is obviously in there. Lots of thermal power and a nice ambience. You may have found it, but in the first room in that jellyshroom Degasi base there is a PDA in the top of a locker that's hard to spot. I missed it first time since I was staying low to avoid the hangers

Water filtration is awesome, I had it in every base in my survival run. But be aware it takes a lot of power to run. It will make two very large water and two salt. It only consumes power while filtering. Once those slots are full it will shut down. I just left the salt so all it had to do was produce water and therefore ran less. You'll find the rubies and gelsacks a bit deeper down. Ever down smile

No, now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!
#4480228 - 06/27/19 03:53 PM Re: Subnautica is amazing and frightening [Re: DBond]  
JohnnyChemo Offline
JohnnyChemo  Offline

Buffalo, NY
The map is awesome, no doubt! I only just realized that the map mod added the map and didn’t just improve upon a preexisting map! It feels like it fits in seamlessly with the game. The beacon page in the PDA brings it up, and by hitting X on the controller you get the beacon management page. I can change the beacon colors too. Kudos to the modern!

Observatory is on the list - just need the mats! Gonna put it off the multipurpose room opposite of the moonpool.

Ever down, that’s a good summation of my plan. I’m got a few stray lifepods to track down as well, but I keep getting hung up on other things!

-Robert Heinlein
#4480338 - 06/28/19 07:01 AM Re: Subnautica is amazing and frightening [Re: VF9_Longbow]  
jdbecks Offline
Room Clear!
jdbecks  Offline
Room Clear!

England
Wheres a good place for setting up the main base? the shallow reef seems quite obvious being rather central, I dont really have the technology to build a deep underwater base. I was thinking either the plain reef or grassy plateau

#4480366 - 06/28/19 12:13 PM Re: Subnautica is amazing and frightening [Re: VF9_Longbow]  
JohnnyChemo Offline
JohnnyChemo  Offline

Buffalo, NY
My base isn’t far off from the pod, just past the shallows on the edge of a kelp forest. I just picked a spot that looked cool personally. If you put something together and don’t like it for some reason, you can deconstruct it and get all the construction materials back, so there’s really no downside in just throwing something together.

Being by the pod has its advantages. You can build a medkit fab later and run to the pod to restock. I’ve also used the pod area as a fishing ground and popped into the pod to se the fabricator to cook fish (still do sometimes). I didn’t build a radio for a while either, so I would pop back to check that as well.

-Robert Heinlein
#4480368 - 06/28/19 12:19 PM Re: Subnautica is amazing and frightening [Re: VF9_Longbow]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
I think a great spot for the main base is near the southern thermal vent, where the grassy plateau, safe shallows and kelp forest meet. It's close to the jellyshroom entrance and not far from many of the late game locations. In the run I just completed I had four bases. One near the pod (5m), one in the Jellyshroom cave (300m), one in the Deep Grand Reef (main base, 500m) and one next to the cove tree (900m).

If you've found it, and if you have the depth capability, I think the Deep Grand Reef is a great late-game location.

This was my main base from my first run, and is next to the southern safe shallows thermal vent. Not much to go on, but you can see how it's against deeper water, but still shallow enough for solar power (although I used thermal from the geyser).

[Linked Image]

#4480398 - 06/28/19 03:12 PM Re: Subnautica is amazing and frightening [Re: VF9_Longbow]  
JohnnyChemo Offline
JohnnyChemo  Offline

Buffalo, NY
Last run was more focused on resource gathering - specifically Lithium, but I had some nice (and not so nice!) surprise finds.

I set out towards the floating island and pod 19. Lithium was at the top of my list to find, with the idea of making a larger capacity air tank. I needed 4 to do the job, and I had 3, so my plan was find one and run back to base to make the tank, then do some more exploring.

I got to the stone spires that, in my mind, marked the area that was rich in shale rocks and, by extension, lithium. I set about grabbing those things I could grab. Diamond! Crap! Gold! Crap! Diamond! Crap! Lithium! Finally!!
By now I had ventured into a new biome and my curiosity got the better of me. Rather than going back, I loaded my finds into one of the three storage lockers fit to my Seamoth and continued exploring. Something red on the cavern wall - is it? Why it's a Ruby! What's that green thing? Uranite? What the hell's that? Did something pee here? I grabbed it anyway, I'm sure I'll find a use for it. Something on the ground - round with glowing circular...things...on it - gel sack? Grab it - oh what's this? A new blueprint? Aerogel! Woohoo! Prawn suit here I come! Another new find - red blobs on the cavern floor - blood oil? Ok grab one of those and....benzene comes from it?

So much new stuff falling my way! At this point I need food and water. I can use my heat knife to slash and eat cooked fish, but I need to get water too, so back home I go. I return and take care of my water issue, and then set about making a few things. First up was the new and improved air tank. Much bigger in my inventory, but almost twice as much capacity as the "high capacity" tank I've been using. I decide to only make one so as not to eat up too much carry space.

I can make a water filtration unit, so I go ahead and do that. Prawn suit? Unfortunately I've used all my lithium, so no go on that....yet. Rather than go back to where I was (lithium was not very plentiful there, though I managed to find a few) I decided to set out to one of the pod signals I hadn't found yet. Pod 12 had a signal beacon, the rest were approximations, so I headed out there.

The beacon sits 250 deep, but that's doesn't worry me. It is somewhere off the bow of the Aurora. That does worry me. I head out anyway, thinking I can bail on it if I need to. As I get through the mushroom trees, I start to see some nastier looking beasties.

Starting with this guy.

[Linked Image]

I've seen him before, but this time he actually attacked me and damaged my ship a bit, so I decided to steer clear.

Then this little light show

[Linked Image]

Not sure what to make of him, so I'll just give him his space. He seems to come out of nowhere too, so that's both curious and frightening.

Then this little guy showed up.

[Linked Image]

It's a peeper, but it's like I'm on acid watching him with his little light show. At first I thought it was a bug in the game, but others didn't do it and he did. I decided to try scanning him and see if I got anything out of that exercise. There appeared in my PDA an entry about some special enzyme he may have in his gut. Not sure what to make of that, but it's filed away for future reference.

My scavenging got me a grand total of 1 lithium. A little discouraged, I started collecting other resources I had been ignoring while I focused on that one item. Eventually, I worked my way into the ocean just off the bow of the ship. Then I saw this....

[Linked Image]

Ok, that's enough for now. I think I'll head back! Lookie who I wound up coming face to face with!

[Linked Image]

This big guy is harmless, but it was still a bit disconcerting looking at THAT filling up my view!

Returned to the base and refit for another trip to pod 19-land. Travelling back, I came upon a trench and decided to go diving. And found these...

[Linked Image]

At the base of these trees are blood oil sacs. I gathered a bunch of them, but they take up a ton of space in my inventory so I didn't grab all I see. I also didn't have much need for them at the moment, so I'll leave the rest for when I need them.
Rubies rubies rubies! I now have a good supply of these!! I also grabbed a bunch of gel sacs; again I now have a decent count in my inventory. I didn't spend a LOT of time there, there some big nasties that just...appeared! I saw a round electrical discharge of sorts and they popped through, then popped out again. No idea what their story is, but I'll steer clear for now.

Eventually, I filled my Seamoth with all kinds of goodies, even the lithium I wanted so badly. Back home I went, where I crafted a new reinforced diving suit (using items based on the blood sacs) and my Prawn suit!

Of course, it's new toy and I had to play with it, so I ran around and tried it out. As awesome as it feels to punch the snot out of the strikers, I see some limitations. I don't dare take it into the deep trenches or jellyfish caves - I'll never get it out! Unless I can carry it there on the Cyclops, I'll have to stay with better terrain. I can however take it back to the areas around the wreck site and explore there with a little better armor. I'm thinking that will be my next adventure!

Attached Files 2019-06-27_00001.jpg2019-06-27_00002.jpg2019-06-27_00005.jpg2019-06-27_00007.jpg2019-06-27_00008.jpg2019-06-27_00009.jpg

-Robert Heinlein
#4480399 - 06/28/19 03:18 PM Re: Subnautica is amazing and frightening [Re: VF9_Longbow]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Wow, great update. Highly productive.

That Blood Kelp Trench gives me the heebie jeebies.

Later you may find ways to enhance your Prawn suit's mobility, especially vertically. I refused to take it out until I had these 'things'. Keep at it JC, you're really cookin' now.

#4480407 - 06/28/19 03:41 PM Re: Subnautica is amazing and frightening [Re: VF9_Longbow]  
JohnnyChemo Offline
JohnnyChemo  Offline

Buffalo, NY
I was surprised at how much progress I made to be honest. Things just fell into my lap. I toyed with the idea of leaving the Prawn suit off until I got some upgrades, but I think I'll be ok walking to the Mushroom Forest and checking out the Crash Zone. As I recall, it was pretty good walking terrain.

-Robert Heinlein
#4480768 - 06/30/19 06:04 PM Re: Subnautica is amazing and frightening [Re: VF9_Longbow]  
JohnnyChemo Offline
JohnnyChemo  Offline

Buffalo, NY
Took a stroll in the Prawn suit, punched out a shark, and now there's a new addition to the family!

I jumped into my trusty Prawn suit and took a walk to the Mushroom Forest near the crash site. I felt the terrain was pretty negotiable for the suit, and once I got out of the Kelp Forest the going was much better. Even in the kelp, I found it fairly easy to jump across canyons. Among the things I was interested in doing was seeing what this thing could do! I hadn't done much exploration in that area, so I thought I'd also see what was there for the finding. I recall the terrain seemed fairly gentle so I figured it would be a good place for a shakedown cruise.

I walked around the forest toward the Crash Zone and found a few interesting bits of wreckage. Added to my inventory are the Power Transmitter and Time Capsule. Not sure about the time capsule, though I've seen it referenced. My understanding is that it is a way for players who have completed the game to send something to other players who are playing it through. A neat idea, I think.

I also completed the Cyclops Bridge and got one piece of the hull, so I began hunting a little more serioulsy for Cyclops parts. It seems like certain bits of wreck are found in certain biomes, so between this Mushroom Forest and the one by pod 13 I should be able to complete the Cyclops. As I search, I also start finding bits of lithium laying around. That's one of the resources that has been eluding me for a while, so I start looking more carefully for those as well.

I came across a large piece of wreckage just at the border of the Mushroom Forest, Crash Zone, and Koosh Zone and began exploring. It's a rather large piece, but for the life of me I just can't find a way in. I got out of the suit and began looking more earnestly, and still no joy. I tried using the propulsion cannon to move bits of wreck about, and no luck. I even pulled out the laser cutter to try and cut open some entry way but nothing. Either you can't get in there, or I've got some more work to do.

Now as I'm working through this area, some of the large and nasty looking fellows living in the Koosh Zone begin taking an interest. Bonesharks start taking notice, and when the first one attacked, I tried punching him with the Prawn Suit. It worked! I managed to knock him around and he suddenly realized he had someplace else to be. A bit later, I think I killed one who didn't get the message.

Water running low, I return to my base to re-hydrate. I like the Prawn Suit, but it is a little awkward to travel in, so I decided to switch out to the Seamoth for the next expedition.

This time, I headed off to the other Mushroom Forest located to the west. I found much that I had already scanned - Cyclops bridge, power transmitter, Moonpool - but I grabbed a bunch more lithium. I finally have a decent stash of that. After combing the area, I get what I needed - the last piece of Cyclops hull! I can't wait and decide to go back to my base and make a Cyclops!

After making sure I have all the materials, I head to my mobile vehicle bay and press the "Go" button! Apparently, I'm in too shallow water to make a Cyclops! Ok, I pick up the bay and travel to a deeper area. Oops, I grabbed lithium instead of lead. Back to the base. Got the lead. Back to the deep, release the bay and.....dammit! I only grabbed two lead, I needed 3!!! Back to the base and then back to the deep. Release the bay. And....build a Cyclops! The huge beast hangs majestically in the air as the drones lovingly finish the crafting process, then down she drops into the water.

I board her and start looking around. Realizing I can dock my Seamoth in her, I go back and dock. For some reason, I'm shot out of the sub and across the map to an area I haven't been to yet, and the sub is nowhere in sight. Fortunately I get it's beacon (and the SeaMoths too) - almost 400 meters away! I pull out my trusty Seaglide and make my way back to my new ship, and as I come upon it, I see it - suspended about 50 feet ABOVE the surface! WTF! Either that's some major bug work or this thing is really all terrain! I watched it drop back down into the water and I boarded it again. Funky stuff I must say.

After walking around a bit and familiarizing myself with the vessel, I set course for my base and got underway....and holy cow is this thing slow! My base is 850m away, it will take me about a week to get there! So I dropped anchor, hopped in the Seamoth, and zipped back home.

I'd like to get the Prawn suit to the Cyclops and start looking around some of the areas I haven checked out yet (I'd love the Cylcops to be able to fit both a Prawn Suit and a Seamoth!). Not sure what i'll focus on next, though I may start looking for some of the pods I haven't found yet to get back to the storyline to some degree.

-Robert Heinlein
#4480796 - 06/30/19 09:45 PM Re: Subnautica is amazing and frightening [Re: VF9_Longbow]  
jdbecks Offline
Room Clear!
jdbecks  Offline
Room Clear!

England
This morning I managed to set up a foothold on the grand reef floor bed. It’s been difficult because I only have the seamoth and high capacity o2 tank. But I built a multipurpose room, hatch, bioreactor, exterior planter and then seeded a brain coral for o2. This allowed me to build up the base.

I may relocate my shallow reef base near the heat vent, but I’ll see as it will be a pain.

I’m thinking about restarting on extreme mode where death is death because I think it will completely change the way you play.

Last edited by jdbecks; 06/30/19 09:46 PM.
#4480797 - 06/30/19 10:02 PM Re: Subnautica is amazing and frightening [Re: VF9_Longbow]  
JohnnyChemo Offline
JohnnyChemo  Offline

Buffalo, NY
I agree - Ironman will make you change your gameplay. I wondered about switching out of survival mode because the need for food/drink has been annoying. I've had to stop what I wanted to be doing to grind food/drink. I'll probably just stay with what I'm doing though.

If you aren't using the base in the shallows much then no need to move it IMHO. Solar power (assuming you are using solar) is perfectly fine and cheap to build. I still haven't put down roots in another area yet, I was going to wait and see if I find myself focusing on a particular area of the map and do something there. For now, my base in the shallows will suffice I think.

BTW - you can throw an extra O2 tank in your personal inventory and swap between them to extend your dives. Personally I switch them out when the first one gets down to 30 secs. When the next one gets to 30 secs I'll start heading back to my Seamoth or to the surface if needed. Just make sure you refill both!

-Robert Heinlein
#4480834 - 07/01/19 10:03 AM Re: Subnautica is amazing and frightening [Re: jdbecks]  
DaBBQ Offline
Bug Stompe....Quisling
DaBBQ  Offline
Bug Stompe....Quisling

Originally Posted by jdbecks

I’m thinking about restarting on extreme mode where death is death because I think it will completely change the way you play.

Just started the game as Hardcore without any experience, 3 souls lost to the depth from:

Giant dragon fish had a nice snack

Lost in a cave and asphyxiated

Tiny lobster sucked out all my blood.

#4480867 - 07/01/19 12:25 PM Re: Subnautica is amazing and frightening [Re: VF9_Longbow]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Good to see more players giving this game a go.

Congrats on the new vehicle JC. Not a big fan of it myself really. But it certainly has utility. Especially I'd say if you only have one base, then the one-eyed one can be your mobile base. Just being able to get the Prawn to where you want to use it is valuable in itself. But it's rather big, and slow and hard to maneuver in tight spaces. Tip is to get used to navigating using the external cameras it has on it. That can help a lot.

In my first Subnautica run I used it extensively. In my second, I built it but barely used it, but of course I had four bases spread out in different biomes. My son likes it though, and he managed to set it afire somehow. Probably silent running for too long?

As for ironman, I haven't played in that mode, but my second run would have qualified, as I managed not to get killed. Can't say the same for the first run though.

#4480876 - 07/01/19 01:03 PM Re: Subnautica is amazing and frightening [Re: DaBBQ]  
JohnnyChemo Offline
JohnnyChemo  Offline

Buffalo, NY
Originally Posted by DaBBQ
Originally Posted by jdbecks

Just started the game as Hardcore without any experience, 3 souls lost to the depth from:

Giant dragon fish had a nice snack

Lost in a cave and asphyxiated

Tiny lobster sucked out all my blood.

Yup, yup, and yup. Also died of thirst and starvation in the very beginning of my game.

Originally Posted by DBond
Good to see more players giving this game a go.

Congrats on the new vehicle JC. Not a big fan of it myself really. But it certainly has utility. Especially I'd say if you only have one base, then the one-eyed one can be your mobile base. Just being able to get the Prawn to where you want to use it is valuable in itself. But it's rather big, and slow and hard to maneuver in tight spaces. Tip is to get used to navigating using the external cameras it has on it. That can help a lot.

In my first Subnautica run I used it extensively. In my second, I built it but barely used it, but of course I had four bases spread out in different biomes. My son likes it though, and he managed to set it afire somehow. Probably silent running for too long?

As for ironman, I haven't played in that mode, but my second run would have qualified, as I managed not to get killed. Can't say the same for the first run though.

My initial plan was using it like a giant SeaMoth that can haul the Prawn suit, but I think it’s going to be of more limited use. Using it as a mobile base has merit though.

-Robert Heinlein
#4480975 - 07/02/19 08:36 AM Re: Subnautica is amazing and frightening [Re: JohnnyChemo]  
WhoCares Offline
WhoCares  Offline

Originally Posted by JohnnyChemo
[quote=DaBBQ][quote=jdbecks]

... Using it as a mobile base has merit though.

Even more so when you put a bunch of lockers on its walls, yepp, that's possible. Maaany lockers, for resources, spare energy cells big and small, food and water, equipment and tools, ... Mobile base and cargo vessel to haul all your belongings and materials around...

#4481476 - 07/04/19 11:57 PM Re: Subnautica is amazing and frightening [Re: VF9_Longbow]  
JohnnyChemo Offline
JohnnyChemo  Offline

Buffalo, NY
It's been a few days since I've updated my progress - I've made some, but I haven't progressed the story much. I've been busy with making a new base.
I'll update on that soon, but I thought I would put out some mod suggestions for anyone playing.

First of all, here's your modding source: https://www.nexusmods.com/subnautica/
You can search that site to see what might tickle your fancy. There are a bunch of decorative things you can get for your seabase, as well as actual gameplay and content mods.
Personally, I like mods that add functionality and take away tedium but don't substantially change the game experience. With that in mind, here are my favorites:

BetterPowerInfo https://www.nexusmods.com/subnautica/mods/18?tab=description
Hit "p" and it will give you a rundown of your base power generation and usage. It will help determine if you need more juice or if you can take away that extra reactor you installed.

Better Sprinting https://www.nexusmods.com/subnautica/mods/182?tab=description
Sprinting is toggled, great for using with a game controller.

EasyCraft https://www.nexusmods.com/subnautica/mods/24?tab=description
This one is awesome! It takes away the building tedium of having to have all the materials in your personal inventory. As long you have the materials in stock in the base you are in, you can build an item. It will also build precursor items providing you have the materials.

For example, you are building X and it takes material 1, 2, and 3. As long as you have 1,2 &3 in a locker or on your person in the base you can build it.

But say material 2 needs to build out of a & b. As long as you have a & b in stock, it will build material 2 and then build the final product. It's SO much better than having to run to lockers all the time. It's range based, so for example when I was building my new base I had to haul materials to it. But once I had transferred my inventory to the new base, when I went to add things to it I didn't have to have them on me. Like I said, it relieves the tedium.
Works with fabricators, mod stations, and habitat creator (any crafting tool.)

Map https://www.nexusmods.com/subnautica/mods/12?tab=description
Why there's no built in map escapes me. It seems like a basic tool. It has a fog of war so you don't see where you haven't been, so it's pretty much spoiler-free. It tracks wrecks you located, and can color code by biome if you like. I get the idea that this game doesn't hold your hand, but a basic mapping tool seems to me to be just that - basic - to a game like this. This one fits in so well I had forgotten it was a mod.

VR Enhancements https://www.nexusmods.com/subnautica/mods/173?tab=description
Just some QOL things for VR users. By default, the PDA is way too close to your face and uncomfortable to read. This fixes that and there are a few other VR enhancements. I don't know all the specifics, but it is highly recommended by the VR crowd. In fact, getting this is what prompted me to look for other useful mods, and that's how I came up with the ones above.

Last edited by JohnnyChemo; 07/05/19 12:00 AM. Reason: typos typos typoes

-Robert Heinlein
#4481551 - 07/05/19 03:31 PM Re: Subnautica is amazing and frightening [Re: VF9_Longbow]  
JohnnyChemo Offline
JohnnyChemo  Offline

Buffalo, NY
Time for an update! Spoilers (mild) ahead!

Among the things I've been doing is trying to figure out the Cyclops. I've had some weird issues with it where I get thrown out of the ship when I dock. This happens about 1/3 of the time, and doesn't seem to have any particular trigger. I've also found that undocking either the prawn suit or the seamoth cause the ship to pitch up and ascend, even though the docking bay is toward the front. Undocking has a similar effect. If I dock too close to the surface, not only does the ship nose up, but it will leap out of the water and hang in the sky for a few seconds. Bizarre. On instances where I've been thrown out, in some cases I am launched hundreds of meters in a random direction away from the ship. So I don't use the Cyclops as much as I might seeing how buggy it seems to be.

I decided to risk my Prawn suit with a trip to the Jellyshroom cavern. I have to say after spending time there it looks quite cool. I can understand why you'd build a base there, DB, esp. with that thermal vent (looks like there are three of them.) Last time I came in here I was more focused on finding the Degassi bases, so I didn't take the time to "smell the roses." I also didn't do any resource gathering, so I grabbed a bunch of magnetite while I was down there this time.

[Linked Image]

I was a little worried about getting the suit out of the cavern. I picked an entrance that I felt had enough landing spots for the jump jets, but I wasn't sure that I would be successful in getting out. Worst case was I'd leave it down there and ferry the stuff I gathered up to the Cyclops and return when I figured out a better way to exit. (One plan included using the habitat builder to make foundations as a stairway to get out. Almost wish I had to try that!)

The big get there was the magnetite. I hadn't found any to date, and now I had a good supply.

Next up on the list of things to do was to drop a new base. I had scouted out locations chose a spot in the middle of the Mushroom Forest. I kinda like the way it looks, there are plenty of resources (including small fish), and I found a spot where my Cyclops and descend to almost land on the base. The base itself consists of two moonpools, 4 multipurpose rooms, and an observatory. It is powered by 2 bioreactors.
I had to make a few gathering trips for quartz and titanium to finish it off. I also made a trip to the Floating Island to grab some marblemelon seeds so I can have a few of those inside as well. On top of the main moonpool is an exterior garden with some Creepvine (for rubber, lubricant, and to be a night light), Bloodvine (for blood oil) and Deep Shrooms for Polyaniline. I'm also planning on getting some bulb bushes planted as well. Those look cool and are a decent energy source.

[Linked Image]

Traveling into the Kelp trench, I met a new friend.

[Linked Image]

I also had the absolute worst jump scare so far in this game. I was at the edge of the Mushroom Forest just into the Dunes when a Ghost Leviathan appeared in my face and scared the snot out of me. I think I may have spoiled my Prawn suit. In my surprise I either ejected from the suit or was transported by him, because all of a sudden I was in the water. At first, I thought he did something to destroy the suit, but as I turned to high tail it out of there I ran into the suit. I got back in and got back to the safety of the Mushroom Forest before anything bad happened to me. That really got me - even worse than when the Reaper came out of nowhere and ate my Seamoth! I'd seen these guys a number of times before and observed their behavior, but I was never close enough to be affected by them.

So with my new base established, I'm going to go back and try to get on the storyline again. I've got two lifepods to find, and I seem to be missing a Degassi journal. I must have missed one somewhere in my travels. They are numbered 1-6, and I don't have #3. It's either in the Jellyshroom cave or one of the Floating Island seabases. I'll have to make a run of them and see what I can find. I'll probably go to the Jellyshroom Cavern first, because I kinda like that area.

Attached Files 2019-07-04_00001.jpg2019-07-05_00004.jpg2019-07-04_00004.jpg

-Robert Heinlein
#4481575 - 07/05/19 04:54 PM Re: Subnautica is amazing and frightening [Re: VF9_Longbow]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Nice digs. No reason to try to get off the planet with a place like that smile

Thanks for the report. I can relate to all of it.

I like the garden, it's fun to see what others come up with on the base building.

Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.