Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 592 of 608 1 2 590 591 592 593 594 607 608
#4480895 - 07/01/19 03:00 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) **** [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

Fittop,

"Commemorative" is more ore "PC", I suppose. Whatever you call them, they had some very nice and flying "Warbirds" at one time. In this particular instance the name doesn't bother me all that much.

Unaffiliated with the CAF; I have a certificate naming me as a full bird Colonel in the Confederate Air Force. We have meetings on every 6th Wednesday of the month. 😄

Originally Registered January,2001 Member Number 3044

"Blessed are they who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed" - Edmond Gwenn, "The Trouble With Harry"

CELEBRATING EIGHTEEN YEARS and over 20 MILLION VIEWS on SNAFU's HWH thread- April 2019
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4481113 - 07/03/19 05:19 AM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Fittop Offline
Fittop  Offline

US
JRT,

Have fun on your June meeting [s]tomorrow[s], err, today.

#4481131 - 07/03/19 10:34 AM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
33lima Offline
33lima  Offline

Belfast, NI
Nice day, here. Sitting at home house-sitting for a delivery (for the house, not for me personally). My own next delivery, via eBay, is this:

[Linked Image]

It's one of my favourite books on the Battle, written I believe by one of the authors of 'The Narrow Margin' on which the film drew heavily. I have the later 1990 edition of 'Target England' published by Bracken Books simply as 'The Battle of Britain' and it's great source of particularly informatively-captioned photographs, many not often seen elsewhere. I'm getting this original Janes edition as the Bracken one is printed onto absorbent paper and most of the pics are rather muddy with detail lost in shadows. Well worth it as the eBay entry showed photos which were much better reproduced.

Also reading my way through Geoffrey Wellum's 'First Light' picked up at Bentley Priory, and Haynes 'Battle of Britain - RAF Operations Manual' which was on sale, much reduced, at the Imperial War Museum. Six months of playing BoB2 to the near exclusion of all else, as well as a tribute to the sim's ability to draw you in and keep you there, is also a boon for publishers of books on the Battle and/or eBay sellers of such items, in my case anyway.

Also added to the shelves as a result of playing BoB2 in the last six months are:

RAF Handbook 1939-1945, David Wragg
The Royal Air Force 1939-45, Chaz Bowyer (Pen & Sword reprint of the earlier Ian Alan RAF Handbook)
Spitfire Handbook, ed. Dilip Sakar (worthwhile for the pilot's notes mainly but reproduces a lot that's in the RAF Museum's 'Fighting in the Air' which I already had)
Fighter Boys, Patrick Bishop
Battle of Britain day by day chronicle, Patrick Bishop
Scramble - a narrative history of the BoB, by Norman Gelb
The Battle of Britain Experience, by Richard Overy (similar to my old Jackdaw on the Battle, with reprints of original documents)
Adolph's British Holiday Snaps, by Nigel J Clarke (Luftwaffe recce pics, one of three similar volumes)
Spitfire Haynes Manual
Hurricane Haynes Manual
Spitfire Ace, Gordon Olive DFC
Gun Button to Fire, Tom Neil DFC 7 Bar, AFC, AM
RAF Fighter Squadrons in the BoB, Anthony Robinson
Battle of Britain Airfields, Philip Birtles
Airfields of 11 Group, Peter Jacobs
Hurricane at War, Chaz Bowyer

Gosh, didn't realise it was THAT many, and that's on top of existing holdings on the Battle!!! I know you can find so much on the 'net these days, but I still can't resist books. And the supply of books on the Battle never seems to dry up. It's a pity A2A won't take the hint and update BoB2 to get Windows 10 compatibility. Ideally as a prelude to BoB3.

Favourite quote so far from the above is from 'Scramble', an anonymous pilot commenting on Churchill's famous 'Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few' - 'I thought he was talking about our mess bill.'

Off shortly to mow the front grass while it stays dry and I'm still in the gardening mood. Which isn't often, but needs must. Could be worse, I could be the gardener at Bentley Priory and have to care for this lot...although that I'd do gladly, come to think of it!

[Linked Image]

Later, I'll have time to write up the next instalment in the SimHQ RAF campaign screenshot/AAR thingy.

Attached Files DSC_0318s.jpg
Last edited by 33lima; 07/03/19 10:37 AM.

SimHQ Battle of Britain II screenshots thread
CombatAce Mission Reports
"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." (attributed to Marcus Aurelius)

#4481177 - 07/03/19 01:12 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

96 degrees yesterday. What a day for my A/C to stop working properly. It began freezing up but managed to keep my room tolerably cool, thank goodness. The technician is on his way this morning and all should be OK again soon. Storms are possible every day for the rest of the week. They could include strong winds , lightning and damaging wind. Typical weather for this heat at this time of the year.

33lima:

An admirable list, sir. And excellent photos, as well. If only the supply of combat flight sims were as readily available to us as the books.

Good friends now, considering the spat we had, I don't suppose it is reasonable to expect Brits to celebrate our Independence Day with any conviction as do we here in the "colonies".

Perhaps some wags celebrate "Good Riddance to Bad Rubbish Day", or "Remember Lord Cornwallis Day"? It does not seem that Cornwallis was penalized for the loss of the colonies; so perhaps, weary of the war and their local problems, we were not missed much.😄

Happy 4th fellows.

"Blessed are they who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed" - Edmond Gwenn, "The Trouble With Harry"

CELEBRATING EIGHTEEN YEARS and over 20 MILLION VIEWS on SNAFU's HWH thread- April 2019
#4481180 - 07/03/19 01:32 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
33lima Offline
33lima  Offline

Belfast, NI
Interesting 'might have been' there, JR2 - what if somewhat less crassly insensitive administration had avoided that rather disagreeable dispute that came to a head back in 1776? We'll never know. At least we all still speak the same language...more or less... smile

Ah, flight sims. Even if the good old days are long gone, BoX seems to be thriving. MS are going back into the peaceful side of the business, and OBD are still plugging away with WoTR. I see A2A are adversising for programmers for an expansion of the business so maybe there's more than add-ons to come there, even tho they have declined to pursue Win 10 compatibility for BoB2, or work with GoG to obtain same. We can but hope...in the meantime there's still this sim amongst sims, for those of us fortunate enough to be able to get it working.

[Linked Image]

Anyhow, got the gardening done as the weather is still fine and dry, plus another campaign instalment written up, so still truckin' over here - see, I told you we still speak the same language smile

Attached Files shot_261.jpg
Last edited by 33lima; 07/03/19 01:34 PM.

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." (attributed to Marcus Aurelius)

#4481182 - 07/03/19 01:47 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

33lima:

Georgie 3 was not the strongest of all British monarchs mentally. If it had not been for the stamp act and other such irritations then the American born Mrs. Churchill's young man might have, indeed, been born in america to become a senator rather than serving in Parliament, as he mentioned to Congress during the war.

As always, good screenies.

#4481189 - 07/03/19 02:12 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
McGonigle Offline
Motorius Emeritus
McGonigle  Offline
Motorius Emeritus

Copenhagen, Denmark
Gents,

Happy Fourth You Americans! In Honour of you I chose a number for my mobile ending with 17 76. Well, actually I thought it would be a super nerdy piece of conversation; "Of course you realise, 1776 marks the year etc etc."

33lima I trust you had no mishaps during your gardening but perhaps you were more sensible than I and wore gloves? My poisoned hand is getting better but there's still a painful stiffness in a few fingers. Nice list of books too! One can never have too many books on the subject of the Battle of Britain.

Currently my reading is by Danish author Carsten Jensen, "We, The Drowned", a very interesting book about three generations of his sea faring family, interwoven with historical events and some very human moments, hilarious as well as sad and ugly moments.

Jens C. Lindblad

Sent from my Desktop
#4481216 - 07/03/19 04:39 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

Already in 90's F. at noon. Technician left an hour ago after replacing upstairs blower capacitor. It must have worked a treat as snow is now falling in my bedroom. ❄ 😄

We could see 100° F. ambient temp this afternoon. OK, it may be hotter where you are or, hopefully, it may be cooler.

Right, Jens, we do not hold the monopoly for celebration of the year 1776. To wit: 😜

January–June
January – The town of Crieff, Scotland, is burned to the ground by Jacobites returning from the Battle of Sheriffmuir.[1]
January 16 – The application of the Nueva Planta decrees to Catalonia make it subject to the laws of the Crown of Castile, and abolishes the Principality of Catalonia as a political entity, concluding the unification of Spain under Philip V.[2]
January 27 – The Tugaloo Massacre changes the course of the Yamasee War.
February 10 – James Edward Stuart flees from Scotland to France with a handful of supporters, following the failure of the Jacobite rising of 1715.
February 24 – Jacobite leaders James Radclyffe, 3rd Earl of Derwentwater and William Gordon, 6th Viscount of Kenmure are executed in London.[3]
May – John Law founds the Banque Générale.
May 26 – Two regular companies of field artillery, each 100 men strong, are raised at Woolwich, by Royal Warrant of King George I of Great Britain.
May 28 – John Churchill, 1st Duke of Marlborough, suffers a paralytic stroke.
July–December
July 5 – Prince Ernest Augustus is created Duke of York and Albany, in the peerage of Great Britain.
July 8 – The Battle of Dynekilen: The Swedish fleet is defeated by a Danish–Norwegian fleet.
August 4 – George Seton, 5th Earl of Winton, under sentence of death for his part in the Jacobite rising of 1715, escapes from the Tower of London and flees into exile on the continent.
August 5 – Battle of Petrovaradin: 83,300 Austrian troops of Prince Eugene of Savoy defeat 150,000 Ottoman Turks under Silahdar Damat Ali Pasha (who is killed).
August 24 – Charles VII, Holy Roman Emperor, returns from Italy.
November 9 – Caroline of Ansbach, Princess of Wales, gives birth to a stillborn son in London.
December 4 – Fifty people are killed, and 150 houses burned, when a fire breaks out in Wapping, London. The blaze comes two days after a fire at the Spring Gardens at St. James's, London, which destroyed the French Chapel there and which was put out by several rescuers, including the future King George II.[4]
December 12 – Charles Townshend, 2nd Viscount Townshend, is demoted from his office as Secretary of State for the Northern Department in the British government, and replaced by James Stanhope, 1st Earl Stanhope.

#4481237 - 07/03/19 06:22 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Fittop Offline
Fittop  Offline

US
Y'all,

Very glad that MG's hand in recovering nicely, as it can be a hassle to do things one-handed for any length of time. You will have to tell us the name of the bush, Sir, as wound sounds painful and totally unwanted in any setting.
I say that meaningfully as I've just paid more than I thought I would for trimming of bushes out front that I should have taken care of earlier.
It is now intended that I will do it next time and then treat myself to a very nice dinner for the same amount. Ahh, the price of neglect.

Glad to see the heat will not be a factor for your sleep, Roger. That capacitor is a heavy but important one.

33Lima, that is one fine and extensive collection. Congratulations !
Wonder if one could find just half of that in all of the Amazon formats now.

One would really have to work to find just a bit of the flying knowledge portrayed in those volumes.

#4481398 - 07/04/19 02:54 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
McGonigle Offline
Motorius Emeritus
McGonigle  Offline
Motorius Emeritus

Copenhagen, Denmark
Gents,

Rain today and barely 61 F, topped off with quite windy conditions. We hope that summer returns by the middle of next week.

The name of the darned bush is Kolkwitzia amabilis, beauty bush.

Last edited by McGonigle; 07/04/19 02:54 PM.

Jens C. Lindblad

Sent from my Desktop
#4481400 - 07/04/19 03:11 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

Fittop,

I agree. We rejoice that MG's hand is healing. It would also definitely be useful to know the name of that toxic plant. Is it indigenous to Denmark? Perhaps it only grows there? A photo might help identify it.

The A/C is working better but not as good as it worked before last Monday. I'll be calling the tech to return tomorrow. 😕

I found Robin Olds' autobiography on Amazon's Audible. Not the same as having the hardcover but unabridged. They have many military books. See Amazon for full details.

#4481407 - 07/04/19 03:27 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

Fittop,

I agree. We rejoice that MG's hand is healing. Thanks for posting the name MG. A poisonous plant does not sound so beautiful to me. Is it indigenous to Denmark? Perhaps it only grows there? A photo might help us identify it.

See photo below. It IS beautiful.

The A/C is working better but not as good as it worked before last Monday. I'll be calling the tech to return tomorrow. 😕

I found Robin Olds' autobiography on Amazon's Audible. Not the same as having the hardcover but unabridged. They have many military books. See Amazon for full details.

Attached Files Poison plant Kolkwitzia amabilis.jpg

#4481410 - 07/04/19 03:44 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
McGonigle Offline
Motorius Emeritus
McGonigle  Offline
Motorius Emeritus

Copenhagen, Denmark
Pssssst Roger: If you click on the latin name in my post there's a-link-a-hiding behind it!

Jens C. Lindblad

Sent from my Desktop
#4481446 - 07/04/19 07:57 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

MG: 😜

Speak up please. Whispers are hard to make out all the way from Denmark. wink You mean when a word or phrase is colored blue it could either be cold (it is Denmark) or a link to more info? Why have they been keeping that a secret? wink

Well, there might not have been a pix there so I just copied and pasted then clicked on Google photos. There to my delight was an amazing number of photos. That bush must be very popular. Sorry you discovered its main drawback the hard way.

Many ornamental bushes and plants have thorns and I've found that even a small scratch from one of these will inevitably get infected unless you act fast to prevent it. Of course in your particular case it was a poison not infection.

We have poison Ivy, Summack, and Oak here that we are cautioned not to touch from early childhood. My grandmother was very susceptible to Poison Ivy and Oak. She once came down with a bad skin rash just from walking through the smoke from a burning pile of brush that included the poison plant.

#4481450 - 07/04/19 08:25 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
33lima Offline
33lima  Offline

Belfast, NI
Well, I've certainly studied closely the training film on How to Defend Yourself against Fresh Fruit, so I reckon I'm good there. Is there a decent one anyone could recommend on protecting myself from garden plants? I never realised the cunning little green b***tards were waiting for me in the garden, too. Off now to search 'Agent Orange' on eBay. smile

Last edited by 33lima; 07/04/19 08:26 PM.

#4481453 - 07/04/19 08:41 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

MG:
I saw nary a warning about the poisonous nature of that ornamental shrub in the link. Being a native of China, and thus inscrutable, perhaps, for some reason, it assumes mystic and poisonous properties when planted in the West? winkngrin

Yes, with all that martial art fruit defense training, I'm surprised the shrub won the first round. Could be you were home with a cold when they taught that special branch of the curriculum on basic thorn defense? There may have been some good points in that.

On the other hand,perhaps you may have an allergy to the secretions of the lovely plant. Regardless, I'm sure the experience was both painful and debilitating. Let us hope it was also instructive. Often the second affliction can be worse than the first. Sometime causing anaphylactic shock. Wear good gardening gloves or cut proof kitchen type gauntlets and be careful.

Otherwise you might simply set fire to the shrub and tell anyone who asks that you had a religious experience like Moses. 🔥

#4481908 - 07/07/19 03:13 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Fittop Offline
Fittop  Offline

US
Y'all,

Here's hoping that we are enjoying the last of the weekend in good shape, and that JRT's son is recovering nicely from surgery. No strains, no lifting of more than half a pound, etc. No, really.

A call to a California cousin verifies his 150 miles distance from the earthquakes kept his family safe.
Anyone that has experienced a temblor knows the anxiety it causes.

I kept thinking there would be a balancing tremor when I first heard of one in the Pacific, but never really thought that would come to pass. Now I don't want to think of one further east.

Most of us do not live under California's laws which insist on items such as water heaters being tied down and items secured "just in case". It would be a heck of a mess.
The chaos of aging infrastructure failing is bad enough when one thinks that most of the basic fundamentals were done over fifty years ago.
(The local gas company is presently replacing a lot of old pipes in Dallas due to leaks. The immediate reason was the encouragement by law suits.)

Happily, (or not, depending on your mood) fuzzy thoughts like that can be happily shelved by a cold beer and a good steak.

#4482145 - 07/09/19 04:47 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

Fittoop:

We experienced one good tremor before my wife passed. That was when the center of a quake was near Washington DC. Though I had never experienced a quake before, it did not take long before I knew what the tremor was. We were both outside the house when all the windows began to rattle. But for the length of the sound and duration it reminded of the 50's when we heard sonic booms quite often that rattled, or even broke, our windows.

Are you about to get a drenching from a tropical storm as well? Looks like tropical storm Barry could go back into the Gulf and then it could go toward Texas as a tropical depression. It might also go the other way eventually dumping heavy rain on us before it exits off our coast. Keep an eye on Barry it might even hit land again as a cat 1 hurricane.

#4482344 - 07/11/19 02:12 AM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Fittop Offline
Fittop  Offline

US
Y'all,

As of right now, we are all watching Barry dance between East and West. My feeling is East of where the Big Boys are placing their bets.
But I've been surprised before, as in last week when twice I had just finished rolling up the outside solar shades when the skies opened.
Yes, outside solar shades covering brick (at least in the patio area.)
Nothing like stopping the heat before it cooks the bricks and radiates that heat all night.
Old-fashioned, but it works.
Wish we could build more houses like in New Mexico, with the 12" walls of adobe providing insulation and radiation.

Sonic booms, painful but fascinating. Hear them and search for the culprit. Now-days we'd be ducking, they are so unusual.

Amazingly, had not thought about them much until a couple of weeks ago when I saw a ducking-under-the-school desk piece and remembered.
Yep, did that, and rotated cans and rations at home. Just in case. And everyone over seven knew how to make rice and start a fire. Just in case, they said. And where you could use alcohol and when to and how long to apply a tourniquet.

#4482400 - 07/11/19 02:18 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

Fittop:

Watch and be safe my friend. Rain is in our forecast about the time Barry might be in the neighborhood so I'd guess he will be coming our way. A forecast I saw indicated the storm might go either way but more likely to brush Florida and co,me our way. Getting here probably as a tropical depression or cat 1 hurricane. it would then bank right and cross the state to depart int the Atlantic. Keep an eye to the East, Good luck.

It is that time of year for big storms until the end of November when Hurricane season ends here.

Page 592 of 608 1 2 590 591 592 593 594 607 608

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.