Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4479055 - 06/20/19 10:13 AM WOTR - hangs at black or white screen when going to fly?  
Polovski Offline
Polovski  Offline

Hotshot

News flash - if you have a problem with WOTR hanging on first run of the day, yet it works after that, or you need to kill rundll.exe in taskmanager - you probably have the Microsoft Rundll issue.

There's a fix.

See this post by user WallysWorld for an explanation of the issue, and also visit
http://ubeogesh-things.blogspot.com/2012/08/resolve-it-finally-game-explorer-aka.html

The batch file there has been used here, is safe, and works for many.
Obviously still scan it with your AV program to check it ou.

direct link to the batch file.
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0BzmX0_bU30dRaGJWdi1iRnV2S0k

but you need to make sure when you go to run the batch file, you right click on it and choose run as an administrator.

This is now also in the WOTR FAQ (see section 42). Also there are many other tips, issues and questions answered. See the Support page to get that on our website.
http://www.wingsoverthereich.com/
Direct link to the FAQ
http://www.wingsoverthereich.com/index_htm_files/WOTR-FAQ.pdf

Last edited by Polovski; 06/20/19 06:37 PM.

Regards,

Polovski,
OBD Software, developers of immersive flight sims;
Wings Over Flanders Fields and Wings Over The Reich
http://www.overflandersfields.com
http://www.wingsoverthereich.com
#4480776 - 06/30/19 07:05 PM Re: WOTR - hangs at black or white screen when going to fly? [Re: Polovski]  
trek Offline
trek  Offline

I'm using WIN 7 Pro and having the Rundll issue. I DL'd the batch file and ran it. I got the game to run once after this but as of now it will not execute again. First, let me ask if I'm doing this correctly. I unzipped the file and place it in the SysWOW64 Folder. Then I right-clicked it and hit the enter key and then hit enter again to exit. If this is correct then I don't know at this point what else to do. FYI, I also tried it in the Sys32 folder as well. I also tried renaming the folder but I don't know the procedure for getting Permission to accomplish this. Thanks.

#4480829 - 07/01/19 09:10 AM Re: WOTR - hangs at black or white screen when going to fly? [Re: Polovski]  
Polovski Offline
Polovski  Offline

Hotshot

Trek, you unzip the bat file onto your desktop or a new folder of your choice, best NOT to put it into your System32 or SysWOW64 !

Then you RIGHT click on the GameUxFixed-Ubeogesh bat file, and in the menu that appears you LEFT CLICK on "Run as Administrator" - do not press enter or whatever that doesn't sound right at all.

Important: NO DO NOT RENAME SYSTEM32 !!! It contains important system files to make Windows work!

or any other System folder - you will kill your windows if you succeed.

If you aren't sure maybe get someone who knows their way around windows to do this for you.

Last edited by Polovski; 07/01/19 09:11 AM.

Regards,

Polovski,
OBD Software, developers of immersive flight sims;
Wings Over Flanders Fields and Wings Over The Reich
http://www.overflandersfields.com
http://www.wingsoverthereich.com
#4480851 - 07/01/19 11:17 AM Re: WOTR - hangs at black or white screen when going to fly? [Re: Polovski]  
trek Offline
trek  Offline

Yeah Pol, I figured I wasn't doing it right. Funny in all the years I've worked on this games and fixed problems I've never used a bat file. So, I guess as in my case you're never too old to learn something new. Anyway I'll give it a try again and let you know how I do. Thanks.

#4480856 - 07/01/19 11:57 AM Re: WOTR - hangs at black or white screen when going to fly? [Re: Polovski]  
trek Offline
trek  Offline

So, I did the above steps and the bat file window remains open on my desktop. Is the file supposed to remain open? Otherwise you have to close the window or hit a key to close it which nullifies the procedure I guess? Anyway I tried to run WOTR again with the window open and no luck. Doing task manager the Rundll file is still their and I have to terminate it to quit the game. The bat file is supposed to rename the game file in SysWOWW right? Is that something visible you can see that the file has been renamed if the procedure worked? Sorry, never messed with the Windows folder before.

#4480864 - 07/01/19 12:22 PM Re: WOTR - hangs at black or white screen when going to fly? [Re: Polovski]  
Adger Offline
Adger  Offline

Hi Trek,I don't believe the bat file window should stay open. The file is changed from gameux.dll to gameuxubeogesh.dll (if I remember correctly). It should be in the syswow64 sub-folder in Windows folder if you have 64bit ..or System32 folder for 32 bit Windows.

I also don't believe the Rundll should be showing in task manager. I don't think you have to press enter at any point ..you unzip the file and then right click the unzipped file and click run as administrator,you don't need to change anything the bat file does it all for you pal.

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.
#4480878 - 07/01/19 01:10 PM Re: WOTR - hangs at black or white screen when going to fly? [Re: Polovski]  
trek Offline
trek  Offline

Thanks Adger. Yes, the bat file just stays open when I execute it. I assume if its' working correctly it will close itself. I've checked the gameux.dll file in SysWOW64 and it has not been renamed. So, for some reason this fix will not work for me. I may have to write this game off until I transition to WIN 10 Pro before the end of this year, unless someone comes up with another fix or workaround. I guess I could try a clean reinstall and try the procedure again but I'm thinking this may be a futile effort.

#4480887 - 07/01/19 02:07 PM Re: WOTR - hangs at black or white screen when going to fly? [Re: Polovski]  
Adger Offline
Adger  Offline

Il just try a few pics to see if you see the same has me Trek..Pic 1 is of the original zip file (Gameuxfixed-Ubeogesh.zip,AND above it (Gameuxfixed-Ubeogesh.bat is the unzipped file)
[Linked Image]

When you have the above mentioned Gameuxfixed-Ubeogesh.bat then right click on it and left click on "Run as administrator" you should then see this pic..then press any key

[Linked Image]

If that works properly you,ll see this in Pic 3 below..press Any key to exit and it will close

[Linked Image]

IF all is correct then this is what you,ll see in your WOWSYS64 folder....Hope any of this helps pal

[Linked Image]

We will remember them.
#4480892 - 07/01/19 02:38 PM Re: WOTR - hangs at black or white screen when going to fly? [Re: Polovski]  
trek Offline
trek  Offline

Adger, Wow! Big help, thank you. Stupid me, I now see the problem: After the message "Ownership taken...

I'm getting these two lines:

"Invalid arguments."
"Access is denied."

So, for some reason it won't give me access/permission to make the change.

I

#4480894 - 07/01/19 02:47 PM Re: WOTR - hangs at black or white screen when going to fly? [Re: Polovski]  
ChiefWH Offline
ChiefWH  Offline

** DON'T DO THIS IF YOU HAVE A KNACK FOR BREAKING COMPUTERS **

You can change the name of the file manually, you just need to navigate the confusing permissions process which is something like:

Go to the file in the syswow64 folder, no other location!

You need to:

Change ownership of the file, and then change the permissions of the owner to enable modifying.

So, right click the file, select properties, then select the advanced option.

On the advanced window, select the owner tab and click edit, this should enable you to select your actual login name profile as the owner.

Then apply/OK it and all windows as needed

Then now you are the owner you can apply the relevant permissions.

So right click it again, select properties and this time select Edit, you can then tick the tick boxes to allow your login to modify the file.

Apply/ok this and now you should be able to rename the file.

** BUT MAKE A COPY OF THE ORIGINAL FIRST SOMEWHERE OUTSIDE THE FOLDER**

#4480907 - 07/01/19 04:03 PM Re: WOTR - hangs at black or white screen when going to fly? [Re: Polovski]  
trek Offline
trek  Offline

ChiefWH, Thank You that did the trick! I got a little off track executing the procedure as I think you meant to say select the security tab before hitting the advance button or maybe that is something that is a given I should've already known. Anyhow I'm flying again thanks to your expertise. Also a big thanks to Adger and Polovski as well. All of you guys are great! I'm keeping my backup of the original file on my Portable HD just in case although I don't foresee any future problems.

#4480909 - 07/01/19 04:17 PM Re: WOTR - hangs at black or white screen when going to fly? [Re: Polovski]  
ChiefWH Offline
ChiefWH  Offline

Glad you got it sorted. (the guidance was cobbled together on my phone, so yes may be a little wonky.

#4480910 - 07/01/19 04:31 PM Re: WOTR - hangs at black or white screen when going to fly? [Re: Polovski]  
Adger Offline
Adger  Offline

Nice one Trek thumbsup

We will remember them.

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
They wokefied tomb raider !!
by Blade_RJ. 04/10/24 03:09 PM
Good F-35 Podcast
by RossUK. 04/08/24 09:02 AM
Gleda Estes
by Tarnsman. 04/06/24 06:22 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.