Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4479302 - 06/21/19 06:04 PM Question before purchase  
brauner1 Offline
brauner1  Offline

Hallo,
I'm very interested seeing as how praised the ai is all around.

One thing that always deterred me from WVR is how poor aircrafts are normally rendered at distant ranges. I have a 20" monitor and no patience for "spotting that lonely pixel" game, which most sims are applying. On the other hand, flashy neon icons full with info (sometimes through cockpit) and off FOV arrows make it quite annoying sas well. I'm wondering whether there are
1. Elegant way of showing aircraft markers (such as wwii online where they only appear when within FOV for long enough)
2. How long distances non intrusive icons are rendered (sadly wwii online have them at up to 4km which is way too short for ww2 performace manouver)

3. Also how long does it take to get to enemy grounds compared to WOFF?

Thanks in advance

Last edited by brauner1; 06/21/19 06:05 PM.
#4479337 - 06/21/19 08:46 PM Re: Question before purchase [Re: brauner1]  
ChiefWH Offline
ChiefWH  Offline

I don't know if the labels and dots are the same as WoFF or not, if you mean you are deterred from WoTR by how they are done in WoFF? I'm guessing they are the same though.

But, in WoTR I've found the labels and dots can end up working really, really well for me.

You can:

- customise the distances that various aspects show

- Mod the colours and transparency for dfferent objects and messages

Currently I'm working on some new colours that will be in my collective mod when I put out the next version. What that will include is a semi transparent brownish-grey dot for distance. What that seems to be giving me is enough to make me often have to doubletake to spot the aircraft (pixel). Then the in game settings allow that to be the only thing you see, before the aircratf is rendered for real. (I do have some custom colours already in my mod including the dot but will be tweaking these)

For other labels I've modified the colours just so they are quite faint, and I tend to only turn those on temporarily to see who the friendly is flying near me (something I figure would be known by radio in real life) before goin back to 'dots at distance' only. But again you can make these as visible or as faint as you wish, in various colours for your flight leader, flight, allied objects, neutral and enemy objects. Whilst they do show over your aircraft I think, you can mod the colour so they don't show so much and, what I also think happens is clouds obscure labels, whcih is pretty cool if I'm recalling correctly.

So overall I feel the labels and dot system enables me to compensate for the reduced visibility compared to real life, but also put in as much challenge/realism as I like.

But you mention you have no patience and do seem to have some set wishes there on how icons should be so I feel you may still be disappointed on this single aspect perhaps.

How long to get to enemy grounds? As Allied you're defending at the moment (Battle of Britain) so there's no going to enemy grounds, as Axis it depends where your base is and target (Calais to London just an example). But, you can always speed up time by up to x12 if you wish and do airstarts if you;re after quick action in a campaign.

I will say this for WotR*, it punches well above it's weight so to speak, by far, and is well worth the asking price. And whilst I do have a long list of things I'd change (just see how much I mod it!), or would like to see added, it is just such a great experience for me. For some reason I always roll the length of the runway and taxi off at the end of a mission, there's something in WoTR that just makes me do that, I can't necessarily put my finger on it, but it is there.

*When modded to my preferences.

#4479380 - 06/22/19 12:37 AM Re: Question before purchase [Re: brauner1]  
Blade_Meister Offline
Blade_Meister  Offline

Atlanta, GA, USA
brauner1 here is a little mod I made that you may like. It works well for me. I made the dots larger red crosses. I have tried the ~ and the , and <> but I ended up liking the + or the ~ the best. If you like the mod and want me to try something different as a dot substitute, let me know and I will try to make it.
Maybe this will help.

Dots mod

S!Blade<><

#4479407 - 06/22/19 07:30 AM Re: Question before purchase [Re: ChiefWH]  
brauner1 Offline
brauner1  Offline

Originally Posted by ChiefWH
But you mention you have no patience and do seem to have some set wishes there on how icons should be so I feel you may still be disappointed on this single aspect perhaps.

I meant no patience for trying to compromise for bad rendering as done in il2 BOX for exampl by tiring my eyes.
What i despised about BOX is how extreme icons are handled. either you turn them off and dont see anything, or you turn them on, and have arrown and too informative descriptions everywhere.

What i like here, is how editable everything is, as you described. But i did see that WOFF UE has the option (or mod) for icons to remain hidden through cockpit elements. Is it also possible for WOTR?

#4479421 - 06/22/19 08:22 AM Re: Question before purchase [Re: brauner1]  
ChiefWH Offline
ChiefWH  Offline

Originally Posted by brauner1

Originally Posted by ChiefWH

I meant no patience for trying to compromise for bad rendering as done in il2 BOX for exampl by tiring my eyes.
What i despised about BOX is how extreme icons are handled. either you turn them off and dont see anything, or you turn them on, and have arrown and too informative descriptions everywhere.

What i like here, is how editable everything is, as you described. But i did see that WOFF UE has the option (or mod) for icons to remain hidden through cockpit elements. Is it also possible for WOTR?

Ah I see, well you can definitely edit things to various standards that suit different people: I think Blade_Meister there wants things clearer, whereas I like them less clear.

Attached is the icon settings that are in the game thorugh the settings page:

What the example here means is at 10000m it appears as a dot, which you can mod to your preferred size/colour.
at 5600m it shows 'aircraft'
at 2800m it will say Spitfire Ia etc.
at 1400m it will say Geoff Smith Spitfire Ia etc.

but you can also cycle thorugh modes that will only show the dot stage for example, this is what I use 99% of the time

You can also have a mode that shows the activity o fthe aircraft what is attacking, if goin home etc)

Or a mode that will show identity info (this is the list above essentially)

And then you can have dots and identity, whcih will show the dots at distance, then add in the text info.

And, each type of info can be colourred to your preference, including wether t has a back ground, so you can have red on white background for really clear label, or, no background and 50% transparent.

And I don't know of a setting to hide behind cockpit elements sorry.

Attached Files labels.jpg
Last edited by ChiefWH; 06/22/19 08:29 AM.
#4479422 - 06/22/19 08:48 AM Re: Question before purchase [Re: ChiefWH]  
ChiefWH Offline
ChiefWH  Offline

Here are some more screenshots to show how flexible the colouring can be. The first two are the default colours, the others are various views, including dots only which I use mostly, and then just demonstrating how you can designate different groups wiht different colours. You could mod all the types to the faint grey I've used for unidentified objects for example, instead of red, blue green etc., or have everything grey except your flight. Note how on the last image it is an external view of the player aircraft and the colour is really quite faint for that label as I have it at the moment (it could be more so).

I hope this helps your decision.

Attached Files D1.jpgD2.jpgM1.jpgM2.jpgM3.jpgM4.jpg
Last edited by ChiefWH; 06/22/19 08:51 AM.
#4479520 - 06/22/19 07:37 PM Re: Question before purchase [Re: brauner1]  
brauner1 Offline
brauner1  Offline

You guys are amazing! thank you very much for all the detailed responses. I have no idea why the sim isnt more popular or widely known.
Only a final question. If i intend to use mouse look, is it possible to assign the scroll wheel for throttle control instead of zooming (assign zoom to joysick button instead)?

#4479979 - 06/25/19 10:34 PM Re: Question before purchase [Re: brauner1]  
ChiefWH Offline
ChiefWH  Offline

Not sure on this sorry, I use trackIR and am loathe to mess with my keybinds once set up.

If it isn't possible in-game, it possibly is through something like xpadder or voiceattack but don't hold me to that.

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.