Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4477853 - 06/13/19 03:23 AM Scaling. Resolution and Aspect Ratio for EAW  
MarkEAW Offline
MarkEAW  Offline

I recently found out , or rediscovered. (I didn't have it documented before) how to maintain the Aspect Ratio of EAW on full screen with Win10 and Nvidia graphics card.

I had my poor old monitor doing all the scaling, which didn't cut it apparently for EAW.
Anyhow if your getting OVAL gunsights then your stretching the games display.

I have a desktop of 1680x1050. So EAW would fill the screen even though I had 1024x768 (square) So It was stretching it to fill the monitor, edge to edge.
So I had the oval gun sight. yuck, everything is wide and squashed too.

So I did these steps:

Scaling:
If your getting screen stretching (your gun sight is oval) when playing the game. Do the following to avoid it and the game will display correctly. I only have instructional steps for the NVIDIA Control Panel.

1) Open your Nvidia Control Panel,
2) Select under Display on the left; Adjust desktop size and position selection.
3) On the monitor you use to display EAW select the tab Scaling.
4) Set the Scaling Mode to Aspect ratio.
4) Next set Perform Scaling on: GPU. (This is important, as the Display option did not work on my system).

I played it with black bars on the left and right side. I also played it with black bars all the way around including top and bottom. But I prefer the mode with just bars on the left and right side.

Theres more info on this and other video related stuff for EAW on my VIDEO Help Document. (Where I'll revise the information the more I play with those settings.)
https://eaw.neocities.org/video.html

Hope it helps some of you running EAW natively in Win10 (D3D mode).

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4477876 - 06/13/19 07:21 AM Re: Scaling. Resolution and Aspect Ratio for EAW [Re: MarkEAW]  
SkyHigh Offline
SkyHigh  Offline

Ireland
That's very useful info. I have not been able to play the game in Glide on my Windows 7 PC without stretching, so these instructions might work for that platform, also. Thanks, Mark.

#4477881 - 06/13/19 08:23 AM Re: Scaling. Resolution and Aspect Ratio for EAW [Re: SkyHigh]  
MarkEAW Offline
MarkEAW  Offline

Your welcome, not sure it will work with nGlide or dgvoodoo. You might need to refer to them to see if they can fix the aspect ratio.

EDIT:
UAW160 and EAW in general in D3D is capped and holding steady at 30fps in win10 native fullscreen with correct 4:3 aspect ratio. (1024x768).
I just have to figure out why the game is capped at 30fps. If EAW really display higher rates, its not happening in this mode, but its loves staying at 30fps steady. regardless of action so far.

EDIT2:
I updated my VIDEO Help Doc. Add text and moved text from old Help Docs to it and revised the text to read correctly.

Last edited by MarkEAW; 06/13/19 12:23 PM.
#4477940 - 06/13/19 04:36 PM Re: Scaling. Resolution and Aspect Ratio for EAW [Re: MarkEAW]  
SkyHigh Offline
SkyHigh  Offline

Ireland
I find that EAW is capped for me in D3D in Windows 7, when using DgVoodoo, if I'm in cockpit. In external view, it usually rises to the low 50's. However, it is a very steady 30 and even with multiple squads and enormous tracer and smoke/fire activity, it rarely dips below the mid-twenties, and there is absolutely no stuttering.

#4477986 - 06/13/19 08:00 PM Re: Scaling. Resolution and Aspect Ratio for EAW [Re: MarkEAW]  
MrJelly Offline
Veteran
MrJelly  Offline
Veteran

Montagnac, L'Herault, France
In Win7 multiplayer d3d I get 60 FPS with 160 on my desktop PC which is my normal refresh rate.
To fly single missions I need the d3d windower because of the corrupted map screen and get 30 FPS
I get even higher rates in Glide.

Fly EAW online at GameRanger: GameRanger Site

FaceBook Pages
UAW 160 downloads
EAW Club

Mark Twain: I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's.

I am now of an age at which I no longer need to suffer fools gladly
#4477991 - 06/13/19 08:08 PM Re: Scaling. Resolution and Aspect Ratio for EAW [Re: MarkEAW]  
Mike Dora Offline
Mike Dora  Offline

USA (transplanted Scot)
Thanks Mark, this is useful. I now have my EAW versions running happily in 1280 x 720 with circular gunsight, black borders each side.

But - and without wishing to "hijack" the thread, can you or anyone else suggest how to get rid of the annoying centre-screen fixed mouse cursor? I find that it appears in all screens, including within the actual sim itself. In the menu screens it just sits there while the "live" mouse cursor moves around normally.

Cheers

Mike

#4478001 - 06/13/19 09:07 PM Re: Scaling. Resolution and Aspect Ratio for EAW [Re: MarkEAW]  
MarkEAW Offline
MarkEAW  Offline

Mike,

Let me ask, which version of EAW are you using?
Which Windows do you have?
How do you launch the game?

and I'll say that I haven't had the mouse cursor problem for a long time. I just got rid of it by running eaw again after exiting it.

Are you using any special mouse pointer animations in windows?
Are you using eaw with a compatibility tab setting?

Maybe we can narrow it down. Could be related to vsync. I believe mine is off in the video control panel.
I have some ideas to resolve your mouse pointer problem.

EDIT:
Staying on topic sorta; I get 38fps with 160 on win10 in d3d mode fullscreen stretched This is with a 3.7ghz CPU processor.
Still half the frames or so from a user in d3d mode on win 7.

However again a steady 30fps with fullscreen and borders. Its capped for some reason.

Last edited by MarkEAW; 06/13/19 10:32 PM.
#4478068 - 06/14/19 12:44 PM Re: Scaling. Resolution and Aspect Ratio for EAW [Re: MarkEAW]  
Mike Dora Offline
Mike Dora  Offline

USA (transplanted Scot)
Hi Mark

It looks like v1.2a. The eaw.exe file is dated 10/14/2000, and is of size 1,286,144 if that's any help (am aware of the profusion of eaw versions out there). Am running it under Win10, launched with a simple shortcut with no compatibility settings. I'm not using any special mouse pointer animations.

Thanks

Mike

#4478091 - 06/14/19 02:12 PM Re: Scaling. Resolution and Aspect Ratio for EAW [Re: MarkEAW]  
VonBeerhofen Offline
3DZ Master/Campaign Designer
VonBeerhofen  Offline
3DZ Master/Campaign Designer
Hotshot

Zandvoort, N-H, Netherlands
Yes, that's a v1.2a for sure but I'm surprised that it actually runs. It was the first recompiled version by Capt. Kurtz' codegroup. There's very little known about it as it was released under a vale of secrecy by Dave S. The mouse cursor problem usually is linked with a direct launch from the folder without a shortcut. It's said that launching from a shortcut fixes the issue. It's been reported with other newer versions as well. Perhaps you have to try a few of the shortcut's preferences, including compattabillity, no pain no gain.

A lot of problems are caused by playing the game without a reboot prior to play. It's adviced to run the game on an as clean computer as possible. It also may help to stop background processes which may interfere with the game. Running other programs after playing the game and then playing again after that can sometimes have weird side effects, as the game is trying to start from a corrupted cache.

I doubt that this version has the OS check removed, which may also cause some issues and like most older versions may prevent a working install in newer OS versions. Obviously work has been done to get older programs to work under pressure of the world's users so things must have gotten marginally better. I wonder if you can make proper ingame selections with that version, aren't the selections racing by with rocket speed?

Being a recompiled version, the programmers may have found it usefull to bypass the OS check and it may have the Microprose NoCD entry activated, can't remember if a NoCD hack had to be applied or wether it just ran as is. Have you tried another resolution or tried setting your desktop the same as the ingame resolution? Microprose adviced to do so when problems are reported.

VonBeerhofen

#4478154 - 06/14/19 07:57 PM Re: Scaling. Resolution and Aspect Ratio for EAW [Re: MarkEAW]  
MarkEAW Offline
MarkEAW  Offline

Just basically set all the mouse stuff to default and uncheck some stuff.

In Settings>Devices>Mouse>Additional Settings(on the right)

Buttons Tab:
-Uncheck Turn on ClickLock

Pointers
-Default the pointer style
-uncheck shadow....

Pointer Options Tab:
-Uncheck Display pointer trails
-Uncheck Show location....
-Check Hide pointer while typing

In Settings,
Ease Of Access
Text Font Size, set other than 150%

EDIT:
There seems to be two types of issues, the mouse pointer fronzen on screen and the dekstop mouse pointer showing on screen.
I can't seem to find a straight answer for the issiue.

Could be an Overlay in use, from Nvidia or ATI video card software, Overlays from other software or Bloatware mouse software that you can uninstall.

Last edited by MarkEAW; 06/14/19 09:51 PM.
#4478437 - 06/17/19 01:40 AM Re: Scaling. Resolution and Aspect Ratio for EAW [Re: MarkEAW]  
MarkEAW Offline
MarkEAW  Offline

Anyone find a reason or a way to un capp the fullscren (w/borders) frames per second?

I find one statement that basically tells me to set the scaling mode to Display and let your monitor do the scaling.
I'm not sure how well new montors scale for aspect ratio perfect but my montior is too old I guess for that, and lacks features for auto scaling from what I can tell.
So by letting the monitor do the scaling the FPS will not be capped.

Now my monitor refresh rate is 59 to 60 at the native res im using. lower res i can get i think 75hz for refresh rate. But I have not tested lower desktop res as it wouldn't make much sense for me to use lower res, unproductive.
Now the game is using the CPU power to stay at 30, since I had 38 without scaling. What I'm saying theres room for the game to eat up cpu power and still remain at a steady 30.

Please let me know if you find any other advantages or what not with these Scaling Modes.

#4478671 - 06/18/19 03:08 PM Re: Scaling. Resolution and Aspect Ratio for EAW [Re: MarkEAW]  
Mike Dora Offline
Mike Dora  Offline

USA (transplanted Scot)
Hi Mark, VonB,

I've had a chance to run some more trials on the "frozen mouse pointer" issue. Tried various compatibility configurations with the shortcut, none of them had any effect. Tried turning off VSync, no effect.

But VonB's second paragraph gave me a clue. I find that EAW runs fine, _without_ the frozen mouse pointer, if it is the first program that I run after startup. If I run EAW after any other program (including exiting and restarting EAW), the frozen mouse pointer always shows up. So some good news there, but it's still a bit frustrating.

Cheers

Mike

#4478698 - 06/18/19 04:59 PM Re: Scaling. Resolution and Aspect Ratio for EAW [Re: MarkEAW]  
MrJelly Offline
Veteran
MrJelly  Offline
Veteran

Mike D
Have you tried having your EAW shortcut on the taskbar?

FaceBook Pages
UAW 160 downloads
EAW Club

Mark Twain: I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's.

#4478716 - 06/18/19 07:05 PM Re: Scaling. Resolution and Aspect Ratio for EAW [Re: MarkEAW]  
Mike Dora Offline
Mike Dora  Offline

USA (transplanted Scot)
Thanks Mr J, that seems to have fixed it.

On a more sober note, I notice that your profile image is an FAA Grumman Avenger. My former wife's uncle was an Avenger rear gunner with the British Pacific Fleet. Shot down and killed over the Sakashima Gunta islands during the Okinawa operation. These islands lie between China and Okinawa, it was the RN's role to neutralize them to prevent any air reinforcements from reaching Okinawa while its sister navy was landing and supporting US ground forces there. His family, in a small Scottish village, got the "Missing Presumed Killed" telegram in June 1945. Just after everyone else had celebrated the end of the war in Europe.
He was 19.

We can enjoy the challenges of our computer flightsims, but should always remember that the real thing is no fun at all.

#4478744 - 06/18/19 08:19 PM Re: Scaling. Resolution and Aspect Ratio for EAW [Re: Mike Dora]  
Moggy Offline
EAW Old Timer and Bodger
Moggy  Offline
EAW Old Timer and Bodger
Hotshot

A slit trench at RAF Gravesend
Originally Posted by Mike Dora

We can enjoy the challenges of our computer flightsims, but should always remember that the real thing is no fun at all.

Amen to that.

#4478815 - 06/19/19 04:59 AM Re: Scaling. Resolution and Aspect Ratio for EAW [Re: MarkEAW]  
MarkEAW Offline
MarkEAW  Offline

Glad you finally got it fixed.

#4478896 - 06/19/19 02:01 PM Re: Scaling. Resolution and Aspect Ratio for EAW [Re: Mike Dora]  
MrJelly Offline
Veteran
MrJelly  Offline
Veteran

Mike

That caricature (one of a series made by Ade Kelly) is my brother Bill's plane. He too was a TAG, with 820 Squadron flying from the Indefatigable. He survived the war having been on the raids to Palembang, and then the "softening up" of Okinawa. Sad to hear about your ex-wife's uncle. Bill might even have known him.

FaceBook Pages
UAW 160 downloads
EAW Club

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.