Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
#4478311 - 06/16/19 03:44 AM Re: Alright, you knew this was coming..what's some quick and easy dinners [Re: Ajay]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
I’ve got a lot of new ones, but most belong more in the Weight Loss Recipes thread. Most are pretty quick or make enough for multiple meals.

http://SimHQ.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/4402291/re-weight-loss-recipes#Post4402291

·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
·Intel i5-9600K ·EVGA GTX1070 FTW 8GB ·EVGA CLC 120 Cooler
·16 GB Patriot Memory VIPER 4 3000MHz ·GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WiFi Mobo
· CORSAIR CARBIDE AIR 540 case ·BenQ BL3200PT monitor
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4478342 - 06/16/19 10:41 AM Re: Alright, you knew this was coming..what's some quick and easy dinners [Re: Ajay]  
Alicatt Offline
Hotshot
Alicatt  Offline
Hotshot

Ice Cold in Alex or Eating in ...
The grand kids ask for my shepherd's pie a lot

2kg of minced beef (mutton if you can get it - sadly very difficult to get sheep/lamb meat here)
2 large onions diced finely
4 good sized carrots, sliced or diced
500g peas
2 tins of tomato puree concentrate
1 clove of garlic
couple of sprigs of thyme or a table spoon of dried if you don't have fresh
same of Rosemary
Bisto/gravy browning (for this size I use 2 teaspoons of bisto and 3 teaspoons of cornflour mixed as I don't want the mixture to be too salty)
4kg potatoes boiled and mashed

Put the oven on to 180c and let it warm up

Brown mince in a large pan and add the onions and garlic stirring the mixture, then the carrots and then add water to cover the mixture bring back to a simmer and add the tomato puree, then add the Thyme and Rosemary, next the peas and let the mixture simmer for about 20 minutes until the carrots are cooked, take off the heat and thicken with the Bisto/gravy browning and return to the heat to let the browning /cornflour cook out and thicken.

Meanwhile peel the potatoes and boil them for mash, when making the mash make it a bit more runny than normal as when cooked in the oven it will dry out a bit, also it is easier to pipe when runny smile
in a deep baking tray put the mince mixture and let cool off slightly so the gravy becomes a little firmer, then pipe the potato mash over the top sealing in the mince mixture underneath. place in the oven and let it bake for 25-30 minutes or until the top is starting to go golden brown.

I make this every few weeks for the kids and grand kids, sometimes it is not enough to feed all of them tho, as they keep coming back for 2nds and 3rd helpings

Chlanna nan con thigibh a so's gheibh sibh feoil
Sons of the hound come here and get flesh
Clan Cameron
#4478355 - 06/16/19 12:04 PM Re: Alright, you knew this was coming..what's some quick and easy dinners [Re: Ajay]  
Chucky Online sosad
Veteran
Chucky  Online Sosad
Veteran

UK
Funny how one spam post can resurrect an old thread.

Don't change SimHQ biggrin

Last edited by Chucky; 06/16/19 12:04 PM.

EV's are the Devils matchbox.
#4478361 - 06/16/19 12:46 PM Re: Alright, you knew this was coming..what's some quick and easy dinners [Re: Chucky]  
Nixer Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Nixer  Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran

Living with the Trees
Originally Posted by Chucky

I know, right?

Two awesome comfort food things here, Dart's Biscuits and Gravy and Allicat's Sheperds Pie.

Censored

Look for me on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook or Tic Toc...or anywhere you may frequent, besides SimHq, on the Global Scam Net. Aka, the internet.
I am not there, never have been or ever will be, but the fruitless search may be more gratifying then the "content" you might otherwise be exposed to.

"There's a sucker born every minute."
Phineas Taylor Barnum

#4478373 - 06/16/19 02:10 PM Re: Alright, you knew this was coming..what's some quick and easy dinners [Re: Chucky]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS

Any excuse! LOL

·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
#4478431 - 06/17/19 12:16 AM Re: Alright, you knew this was coming..what's some quick and easy dinners [Re: Ajay]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
[Linked Image]

^ I finally got to use this. biggrin

The rusty wire that holds the cork that keeps the anger in
Gives way and suddenly it’s day again
The sun is in the east
Even though the day is done
Two suns in the sunset, hmph
Could be the human race is run
#4478433 - 06/17/19 12:35 AM Re: Alright, you knew this was coming..what's some quick and easy dinners [Re: Ajay]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Originally Posted by Ajay
Do nots - Carrots are a no no as is brocoli and brussel sprouts. They are her three 'not eating that' foods.

Much time has passed, wondering if this is still the case. Man, that's three of my favorites! biggrin

Some people *really* don't like brussel sprouts...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNd-Psr1i-8

...but I wonder if they've ever tried them oven roasted. Same with cabbage and onions (especially big red onions).

The rusty wire that holds the cork that keeps the anger in
Gives way and suddenly it’s day again
The sun is in the east
Even though the day is done
Two suns in the sunset, hmph
Could be the human race is run
#4478448 - 06/17/19 04:31 AM Re: Alright, you knew this was coming..what's some quick and easy dinners [Re: Ajay]  
Sluggish Controls Offline
Sluggish Controls  Offline

Hong Kong
Gratin de courgettes

https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/courgette_gratin_04270
A real eye-opener on how to turn boring zucchinis into an easy super yummy dish.

Cheers,
Slug

"Major Burns isn't saying much of anything, Sir. I think he's formulating the answer..." - Radar - M*A*S*H
#4478472 - 06/17/19 11:17 AM Re: Alright, you knew this was coming..what's some quick and easy dinners [Re: Ajay]  
KraziKanuK Offline
Veteran
KraziKanuK  Offline
Veteran

Ottawa Canada
Quick and easy biggrin :

[Linked Image]

Ajay, carrots come in other colours besides orange, you could try to trick her.

There was only 16 squadrons of RAF fighters that used 100 octane during the BoB.
The Fw190A could not fly with the outer cannon removed.
There was no Fw190A-8s flying with the JGs in 1945.
#4478508 - 06/17/19 02:29 PM Re: Alright, you knew this was coming..what's some quick and easy dinners [Re: Ajay]  
vonBaur Offline
vonBaur  Offline

With a little effort you can add sliced hot dogs to KK's suggestion for "Beanie Weinies". A favorite of my son for more than twenty years, so far.

SALUTE TO ALL!
#4478510 - 06/17/19 02:33 PM Re: Alright, you knew this was coming..what's some quick and easy dinners [Re: vonBaur]  
Alicatt Offline
Hotshot
Alicatt  Offline
Hotshot

Ice Cold in Alex or Eating in ...
Originally Posted by vonBaur
With a little effort you can add sliced hot dogs to KK's suggestion for "Beanie Weinies". A favorite of my son for more than twenty years, so far.

PSA:

or if that is tooooo much work, then you can get the beans with the sausages in them already

Chlanna nan con thigibh a so's gheibh sibh feoil
Sons of the hound come here and get flesh
Clan Cameron
#4478583 - 06/18/19 01:18 AM Re: Alright, you knew this was coming..what's some quick and easy dinners [Re: Ajay]  
Zamzow Offline
Zamzow  Offline

Quesadillas with just grated cheddar and salsa, done in a skillet with a bit of oil. That's if I want to be done in 5 minutes (assuming I don't have to open up a new block of cheddar, divide it up, and get it into storage).

But what I love about quesadillas is you can make them quick and simple, or long and "complex", and you can put just about anything in them.

I'm making sort of a seafood type tonight with jumbo shrimp (shelled but I'll still have to remove the tail shells), avocado, brown mushrooms, red and green bell pepper, pearl onion (sliced along the meridians and then meticulously torn apart) grated cheddar (not pre-grated), tomato, and horseradish cocktail sauce.

Two of these will take me between 20 and 40 minutes depending how many of the ingredients are fresh or already prepped and stored...

Another quickie I do sometimes is various canned soups, then add torn up bread (good stuff from store bakery) and various already prepped veggies I need to use up, sometimes even meat I need to use up...

Soups, quesadillas, and eggs are often how I use up various pre-prepped ingredients that are about to go bad if I don't use them up...

#4478866 - 06/19/19 12:12 PM Re: Alright, you knew this was coming..what's some quick and easy dinners [Re: Chucky]  
Ajay Offline
Ajay  Offline
Veteran

Brisbane OZ

I was wondering what the heck this post was doing back here again biggrin 2015, man, times have changed, now she can cook dinner for me!

My il2 page
Seelowe Campaign
Cliffs of Dover page
CloD
My Models
Tanks/Planes/Ships

#4478953 - 06/19/19 07:01 PM Re: Alright, you knew this was coming..what's some quick and easy dinners [Re: MarkG]  
cichlidfan Offline
cichlidfan  Offline

Woodbridge, VA, USA
Originally Posted by Ajay
Some people *really* don't like brussel sprouts...

Steamed then tossed with butter and Italian bread crumbs. I can make a meal out of just that.

Last edited by cichlidfan; 06/19/19 07:01 PM.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1
#4478957 - 06/19/19 07:22 PM Re: Alright, you knew this was coming..what's some quick and easy dinners [Re: Ajay]  
VF9_Longbow Offline
Hotshot
VF9_Longbow  Offline
Hotshot

Tokyo, Japan
Macaroni Cheese.

Put 1 or 2 tbsp of flour in a pan. Add the same amount of oil or butter. Cook on low-medium heat. Stir constantly til it becomes very smooth and starts to change color. Do not stop stirring or it will burn. Do not heat it too high or it will burn. Just keep stirring.

Once the color starts to change a bit, begin adding milk slowly. It will thicken into gloup. Keep stirring and it'll smooth out. Don't add too quickly or you won't be able to get the lumps out. Just keep stirring and adding slowly. Once it reaches a nice consistency, lower the heat and add grated cheese - lots of it. Add to taste. Salt and pepper to taste. Do not overheat when adding cheese or the sauce will split and it's not a nice texture and pretty much impossible to fix. If adding multiple cheese types, add cheeses with high melting points first then things like mozzarella last to avoid splitting the sauce.

While you're doing that, boil up some pasta in well salted water. Should taste like seawater. Drain when al dente.

Pour the cheese sauce over the the drained pasta, mix it up. You can eat it just like this, or if you want to make it better, put it in a casserole dish, top it with some grated cheese and panko / breadcrumbs and bake it for a bit til it gets a nice crust on the top.

If you don't like the texture of the flour based sauce you can make it with corn starch too, just be careful about mixing the starch as it turns into a weird slimeball texture if you leave lumps, and they can't really be removed except by straining or blending in a powerful blender like a vitamix. Once the pasta is in it can't be fixed. You've been warned! The unbaked version can be done in about 10-15 minutes if you start the sauce at the same time you start boiling the water.

Note about pasta: Use a huge pot of water. If you're getting tons of foam in your pasta pots it means that your pot is too small for the amount of pasta you're using. I typically use 4L of water for 1 or 2 portions of pasta.

Simple fajitas

Slice up a cheap cut of beef or chicken or pork and set it aside. Very thin slices are key. 1cm thick at the most.
Crush some garlic with a garlic press or mince it up, or just use the stuff from a jar. Slice some onion up if you like. Slice 2 bell peppers (Paprikas) into long strips about 1cm wide. Heat up a frying pan with oil (not olive oil, use something with a high smoke point). Get it nice and hot. Chuck in the pepper strips, stir fry them quickly and chuck in the onion before the peppers are too cooked. High heat is really critical, you want to keep the crunchy texture, too low a heat and you'll get a soggy mess. Add the garlic and fry for 10-15 seconds, then add all the meat. Throw in around a teaspoon of cumin, a teaspoon of paprika, a teaspoon of mild chili powder, and salt and pepper to taste. Remove from heat as soon as the meat is almost cooked through. It will finish cooking once off the heat. Throw it all in a bowl and serve with tortillas. Serve with grated cheese and sour cream and salsa. I just put out bowls full of each condiment. Lettuce optional. This dish can be completed in under 10 minutes.

Pepperoncino Pasta
Boil some noodles of your choice. Common is spaghetti but I often use penne or shells. Cook to al dente in salted water. Seawater technique.

While that's going on, crush some garlic and chop some dried chili peppers into thin rings. Use as much pepper as you like, I love spicy food so I typically go for 2 or 3. Deseed if you can't handle heat. Throw the chilis in a frying pan with olive oil, fry on medium heat for 20-30 seconds, then in with the garlic, fry a few more seconds til fragrant, then turn off the heat. I often cut a couple slices of garlic and leave them whole instead of crushing just for the texture. Add italian parsley, salt and pepper to taste. Dump it over the drained pasta or vice versa. Be careful not to go overboard with the olive oil or it can become quite greasy.

Caramel Popcorn

This is not much of a dinner but it might be nice for a movie night. Make some popcorn - I just put a tablespoon of oil in the bottom of a pot, put another tablespoon or two of popcorn kernels in and shake shake shake til it's done popping. Don't overheat! Keep a small crack in the lid to let the steam out, popcorn probably won't come out of the gap if you're doing it right.

Once that's done, add some sugar and a little butter to a nonstrick frying pan. I typically go with 2 tbsp of each. Melt on medium-low heat, stir constantly. Very important to stir. Once it starts to melt, turn the heat down QUICKLY. If cooking on electric, take if off the burner to control the heat, put it back on the burner if it's not there yet. As soon as it starts turning brownish, stir stir stir then pour it over the popcorn while mixing with a spoon. Don't touch this stuff, nothing sticks and burns skin like caramel.

This stuff is quite yummy. Takes maybe 5-10 minutes to make.

#4478991 - 06/19/19 10:25 PM Re: Alright, you knew this was coming..what's some quick and easy dinners [Re: Ajay]  
LB4LB Offline
Still lurking about
LB4LB  Offline
Still lurking about
Hotshot

Detroit Burbs
I am surprised no one has added how to make the "perfect" grilled cheese sandwich.

I can't cook for $#&%. I usually just end up helping with the dishes ( wish means I do them all).

biggrin

#4478998 - 06/19/19 11:47 PM Re: Alright, you knew this was coming..what's some quick and easy dinners [Re: Zamzow]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
Originally Posted by Zamzow
Quesadillas with just grated cheddar and salsa, done in a skillet with a bit of oil. That's if I want to be done in 5 minutes (assuming I don't have to open up a new block of cheddar, divide it up, and get it into storage).

But what I love about quesadillas is you can make them quick and simple, or long and "complex", and you can put just about anything in them.

I'm making sort of a seafood type tonight with jumbo shrimp (shelled but I'll still have to remove the tail shells), avocado, brown mushrooms, red and green bell pepper, pearl onion (sliced along the meridians and then meticulously torn apart) grated cheddar (not pre-grated), tomato, and horseradish cocktail sauce.

Two of these will take me between 20 and 40 minutes depending how many of the ingredients are fresh or already prepped and stored...

Another quickie I do sometimes is various canned soups, then add torn up bread (good stuff from store bakery) and various already prepped veggies I need to use up, sometimes even meat I need to use up...

Soups, quesadillas, and eggs are often how I use up various pre-prepped ingredients that are about to go bad if I don't use them up...

Yep, quesadillas are a weekly thing here. One of few things everyone likes! I just get turkey breast fillets for it. Cheap, taste good, cooks fast. Throw it on the griddle...some rotel, cheese, jalapenos...good stuff.

#4479086 - 06/20/19 02:14 PM Re: Alright, you knew this was coming..what's some quick and easy dinners [Re: Ajay]  
David Kennard Offline
David Kennard  Offline

Northern Virginia, USA
I am really liking this from my local take-out lately, need to try this at home myself

Chicken Jalfrezi

https://www.harighotra.co.uk/chicken-jalfrezi-recipe

"I'm a hundred miles away son, ready to strike"

GPL Racing: Average Drivers Club

SimHQ Motorsports: SimHQ Motorsports

EVGA Z170 Classified K MB, Intel i7-6700K CPU, EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW2 GPU, EVGA 850 G3 PSU, Bitfenix Dawn TG Case, Windows 10,
32gb T-Force Delta RGB DDR4 3600MHz Memory, 500gb WD Black SN750 NVMe Boot Drive

#4479171 - 06/20/19 10:01 PM Re: Alright, you knew this was coming..what's some quick and easy dinners [Re: Ajay]  
KraziKanuK Offline
Veteran
KraziKanuK  Offline
Veteran

Ottawa Canada

There was only 16 squadrons of RAF fighters that used 100 octane during the BoB.
The Fw190A could not fly with the outer cannon removed.
There was no Fw190A-8s flying with the JGs in 1945.
#4479172 - 06/20/19 10:07 PM Re: Alright, you knew this was coming..what's some quick and easy dinners [Re: KraziKanuK]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA

Yup, that’s pretty much what it would look like if I tried to make it.

It’s not my fault! I was raised in a Latino household so cooking is something that women do. duck

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.