Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
#4477510 - 06/10/19 11:36 PM Re: Subnautica is amazing and frightening [Re: Coot]  
JohnnyChemo Offline
JohnnyChemo  Offline

Buffalo, NY
Originally Posted by Coot
I used the air bladder early on which is kind of fun while you don't have good O2 tanks or vehicles yet. That way you can zoom to the surface with that air balloon. Unfortunately I don't find it useful anymore once you get some of the other gear. It also would have been kind of cool if they had a diver weight belt system to do the opposite. With your O2 full, be able to quickly fall like a rock to the bottom of where you want to explore with relatively full O2, giving you back the wasted time it takes to swim to the bottom, then drop belt and deploy your airbag when its time to go back up for air.

I saw that bit of kit, wasn't sure if I wanted to have it, but I can see the usefulness on a deep dive. I'm going to be doing some more deeper exploring very soon, I may bring one along just to see how it works.

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.
This is known as "bad luck.”
-Robert Heinlein
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4477520 - 06/11/19 01:40 AM Re: Subnautica is amazing and frightening [Re: VF9_Longbow]  
Coot Offline
Pilgrim
Coot  Offline
Pilgrim
Veteran

These United States of America
Its a pretty fun tool for free diving at deeper depths. I'm also loving the trail making device. Awhile back in early access it used to be like a tape rule but now it shoots out little lighted "bread crumbs" and you can have up to twenty lights I think and reload them at any time.

Last edited by Coot; 06/11/19 01:40 AM.

John 10:1-30
Romans 10:1-13

#4477730 - 06/12/19 12:54 PM Re: Subnautica is amazing and frightening [Re: VF9_Longbow]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Never used the air bladder myself, though the utility of the thing is plain. I did use the Pathfinder tool in my first run, and built it in the second, but didn't actually use it. I did use a lot of beacons however. For example with extensive cave systems I would drop and name a beacon at the exit. Jellyshroom cave for example. Cave exit markers used their own color to make them easy to find quickly. I had so many beacons out that it was a bit of a mess in the HUD at times.

Bases and vehicles used yellow beacons
Exits used red
Entrances (and lifepods) used orange
Points of interest above the LR* used blue
Below and including the LR* used green

* I used LR as I reckon if you haven't found it you won't know what it is, so no spoilers. But if you have you'll know what I am referring to.

How'd your deep dives go JC?

No, now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!
#4477756 - 06/12/19 05:17 PM Re: Subnautica is amazing and frightening [Re: VF9_Longbow]  
JohnnyChemo Offline
JohnnyChemo  Offline

Buffalo, NY
Didn't get a chance at them yet. I had a little time to play the other night, and on my way to the pod I was going to check out I passed over another debris field I hadn't investigated yet, so I checked it out. Turned out to be quite worth it - I got the last piece of SeaMoth I needed to scan to unlock the blueprint. Of course, after searching around and finally getting back to my base I looked at the time and I had to call it a night. Didn't even build one yet.

But that will be first on the list of things to do when I get back in! Looking at the bp, I know I have the mats for it. I've already built a mobile vehicle assembly thingy (hoping it would grant a piece of a bp to something when I did so, no luck.) so I should be able to make that happen straight away. Then to pod 17 for sure this time. At least I think so. After checking that out it will be on to pod 19 and the deepest of the dives I've had so far.

I also did some work on the base, I pulled off two of the tubular sections, replaced one with a 3-way, and added on a scanner room and another tube. So the base now looks much less symmetrical and has a rather large growth protruding out of one side.

I've picked up a few mods too, thought it seems not all of them are compatible with the Epic version of the game. I have an "Easy Build' mod which will assemble components into final products, skipping some of the clicking you'd have to do. Example would be making disinfected water when you have the items needed for bleach - all you do is make the water and the bleach is assemble and consumed for the water automatically. It will also take mats from nearby storage, saving the need to go back and forth to the lockers to swap out items.

I was hoping the clock mod (you can build a couple different types of clocks into your base) would work but sadly it doesn't. I'd like to be able to glance at the time periodically but with the HMD on it makes it tough. So I set an alarm on my phone and keep it in my pocket.

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.
-Robert Heinlein
#4477776 - 06/12/19 06:56 PM Re: Subnautica is amazing and frightening [Re: VF9_Longbow]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Do mods disable achievements? Just curious. Subnautica is one of the very few games I've ever played where I got 100% (there are just 17)

#4477780 - 06/12/19 07:11 PM Re: Subnautica is amazing and frightening [Re: VF9_Longbow]  
JohnnyChemo Offline
JohnnyChemo  Offline

Buffalo, NY
I don't know if mods disable achievements or not. I have the game through Epic, which doesn't have achievements that I'm aware of.

-Robert Heinlein
#4477783 - 06/12/19 07:30 PM Re: Subnautica is amazing and frightening [Re: VF9_Longbow]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Yeah, makes sense. Seamoth eh? Nice, that thing is awesome.

#4477799 - 06/12/19 08:54 PM Re: Subnautica is amazing and frightening [Re: VF9_Longbow]  
JohnnyChemo Offline
JohnnyChemo  Offline

Buffalo, NY
Can't wait to find out!

-Robert Heinlein
#4477898 - 06/13/19 11:30 AM Re: Subnautica is amazing and frightening [Re: VF9_Longbow]  
JohnnyChemo Offline
JohnnyChemo  Offline

Buffalo, NY
I managed to squeeze a little play time in last night with the SeaMoth. First, in VR it's a little VR-Sickness inducing! Not as bad as tooling around the surface of a planet in Elite, but it's noticeable. I'll have to build that tolerance back up again for prolonged sessions! I basically spent the night flying around and seeing what it could do.

First thing I found out is I could use it to slap around stalkers, which I did a few times as payback (but they got me back somewhat, more on that later). I cruised to pod 17, which was near some caves and had been broken open. Spent a bit of time there, but didn't find anything I hadn't already scanned. So I walked away with a bit of titanium for that. I tried slapping some sand sharks around too, but they can actually deal a little damage to the SeaMoth. Not enough to worry about, but it brought the integrity down a few points. I'll probably not bother with them too much.

I returned the base and tried using the repair tool on the SeaMoth to bring it back up to 100%, and it worked - yay! Looks like it's charge lasts a good while, so I'll make a backup power cell for it but I won't travel with it until the charge gets much lower. DB, I see what you mean about the SeaMoth opening things up. You can travel pretty much with impunity so far (though I'm sure there are some bigger nasties that will find it a tasty morsel) and it generates it own O2, so surfacing is less of an issue. I figure I can use it for the deeper dives as a sort of base, at least to replenish my oxygen between scavenging expeditions.

I went into my scanner room and started playing around with that a bit more, specifically using the camera drones. I brought up wrecks on the scanner and attempted to fly a drone to the wreck on scanner to see if I could then use the drone as a marker for the wreck location. I got close but never actually found the wreck site I was looking for. Of course, the stalkers decided the camera drone was a toy and began swimming around with it (their revenge for me and the SeaMoth I guess!). As I said I didn't have much time to mess around with this, so I'll be looking into it a bit more when I have more time available, hopefully this weekend.

I also got a new pod location via radio. Pod 7 sent some coordinates, so I'll go and check them out. First, though, I want to get back to pod 19 and the deeper areas to see if some of the materials I've been looking for are there. I'd like to get some lithium and diamonds. Diamonds specifically for the laser cutter. I want to use it to try and cut into the areas of wreckage I can't access yet. The tool description seems to indicate this is possible, and if so I'm confident there are some juicy bp's available inside.

-Robert Heinlein
#4477926 - 06/13/19 02:58 PM Re: Subnautica is amazing and frightening [Re: VF9_Longbow]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
I hadn't considered that as I don't use VR. Hopefully you get accustomed to it.

Thanks for the update in the spoilers, I like following your progress.

Finding Lifepod 7 was a great moment for me in this game, as it's one that you just get a clue or two, no beacon, and at that stage it was daunting going there, as I didn't know what foul creatures may dwell there. I did a sort of grid search (as accurately as I could considering I was always under the feeling I was being hunted smile ). And when I found it I was pleased with myself lol. Then I got the hell out of there.

And yes, the fact the Seamoth has it's own air supply is great. Really extends your deeper water exploration ability. Once you get some depth modules for it it'll be even better. Don't want to spoil the other modules for you, but I had my favorites so if you have any questions feel free. I've tried most of them, but really only used a few after experimenting with the others. I built two Seamoths as mentioned. One was used for cargo, to run between bases, and the other was outfitted for exploration.

#4477928 - 06/13/19 03:07 PM Re: Subnautica is amazing and frightening [Re: DBond]  
JohnnyChemo Offline
JohnnyChemo  Offline

Buffalo, NY
It will take some getting used to, but I got to the point I was pretty comfortable driving on planets in Elite (and it was ugly at first, let me tell you!) so I'm not too worried about it.

I'll keep this going as a blog of sorts, I find it kinda fun to sum up my game experiences, and I always look forward to your commentary as well!

Your comment about Lifepod 7 is interesting, I got the radio call just before I called it a night, so I didn't look at my beacon list to see if it was there or not so I didn't realize it was going to be hunt. I'm looking forward to that.

-Robert Heinlein
#4477929 - 06/13/19 03:19 PM Re: Subnautica is amazing and frightening [Re: VF9_Longbow]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
There should be a clue or two on Lifepod 7 in your PDA under Codes and Clues that will help a bit.

#4477931 - 06/13/19 03:21 PM Re: Subnautica is amazing and frightening [Re: VF9_Longbow]  
JohnnyChemo Offline
JohnnyChemo  Offline

Buffalo, NY
First place I was gonna look! thumbsup

-Robert Heinlein
#4478365 - 06/16/19 01:19 PM Re: Subnautica is amazing and frightening [Re: VF9_Longbow]  
JohnnyChemo Offline
JohnnyChemo  Offline

Buffalo, NY
It’s been a busy few days but I finally managed to squeeze in a little gaming time last night. The plan for the evening was to checkout the lost lifepod 19 which was deep in a trench to my South east, and depending on time maybe check out the crash site of the Aurora. That has been a goal for a while, and now that I have a radiation suit I’ll go ahead and check it out.

First, here's an updated picture of the base. There's a scanner room addition on the right and SeaMoth parking on the left.

[Linked Image]

Enroute to 19 I found another unexploited debris field, so the pod would have to wait. It wound up being a nice treasure trove , including blueprints for the moon pool (1 part anyway), thermal generator (complete), the multipurpose room (1 part) and a few other odds and ends. In the midst of this, a leech-like critter latched onto my arm and wound up killing me before I was able to get it off. I respawned in my base, but my SeaMoth remained at the debris sight, so it was a slow swim back. I completed my investigation, and discovered the current depth limit of the SeaMoth is 200m, I started getting warnings and damage when I attempted to go lower. When I get all the pieces for the moonpool I’ll be able to upgrade it, but for now it’s going to be limited to 200m.

I got as close as I could to the site of pod 19 in the ‘Moth and set out to checkout the pod. I picked up another piece or two of blueprint but nothing else of mind-blowing value was found. I poked around the caves a bit and found some lithium and a diamond, both of which were first time finds. I see now the value of the flashlight (boy is it dark down there!) and the pathfinder tool. I had used the pathfinder as a way to mark bits of ship items I had already scanned too. I found the caves a bit disorienting in the dark so the pathfinder will be helpful in helping me get back out. I decided I’d seen enough and went back to my base.

Hey Nineteen....
[Linked Image]

Into the deep, dark.....
[Linked Image]
I deposited my new finds. Finding the diamond triggered a recording to be played which stated that all items I found were property of the company and that would have to reimburse them full market value for any found items not returned. Apparently I’m into them for a cool 3 mill right now. They can deduct it from the settlement of the lawsuit I’m gonna file against them for getting me lost here!

Heading to the Aurora, again I hit a debris field enroute. No good finds here though, sadly As I got closer to the ship, I started coming across storage lockers and grabbed a few items of use from them. I also started finding Cyclops bits. Apparently this is one big ship, as there seem to be sub components you have to have before being able to build it. I got 2/3 pieces for the engine and scanned another piece only to find out it was piece 1/3 for the bridge. So I’ve got some collecting to do.

I went around the back of the ship and the atmosphere became much different. It was very dark, even in daylight. I heard the roar of...something...and it sounded big. I found some more debris but before I could get out and scan it, the something grabbed the ‘Moth! I got a look at a long snake like body with tentacles coming off the face - I think, I mean he didn’t exactly sit still for a picture, and teeth. Lots of teeth. He managed to destroy my SeaMoth but I was able to get away safely.

I’m not going to lie - that freaked me out a little bit. I got back to my base and crafted a new ‘Moth. I was getting low on food and water, so I went out and did a little fishing and gathering to get a little inventory up. Once I got my food/water full again I decided to call it a night.

There were a few items I wished to make which I needed more supplies for - primarily copper. I’m going to have to spend a little time doing some gathering before my next exploration expedition. In looking though some of my log entries, I saw a reference to a land mass that was to be used as a survivor rally point. I’ve got a general distance and direction to that point, so I’m going to see what’s there before heading back to the Aurora. And I’ve still got some pods to find, but those are low on my priority list right now.

Attached Files 2019-06-15_00004.jpg2019-06-15_00001.jpg2019-06-15_00002.jpg
Last edited by JohnnyChemo; 06/16/19 02:18 PM. Reason: added pictures

-Robert Heinlein
#4478401 - 06/16/19 07:03 PM Re: Subnautica is amazing and frightening [Re: VF9_Longbow]  
VF9_Longbow Offline
Hotshot
VF9_Longbow  Offline
Hotshot

Tokyo, Japan
Excellent stuff! Glad to see you seem to have made it out of the grinding phase to understand the controls and basic game mechanics. You're well on your way now. I would recommend not trying to blast through the main storyline too quickly, take your time building stuff to your satisfaction, consider starting some grow beds outside or inside your base, etc. Remember you can stack vertically on your base and use ladders to connect the pods together.

#4478415 - 06/16/19 10:03 PM Re: Subnautica is amazing and frightening [Re: VF9_Longbow]  
JohnnyChemo Offline
JohnnyChemo  Offline

Buffalo, NY
Thanks! I think I'm getting the idea behind the game now. I'd love to start making my own food instead of fishing for it all the time, but I don't seem to to have access to any blueprints for any type of growing facility yet.
I've been thinking about expanding the base a little, and "up" seemed like a good place to go. I may throw another tube or two onto the new platform I put in for the SeaMoth as well.

-Robert Heinlein
#4478485 - 06/17/19 12:25 PM Re: Subnautica is amazing and frightening [Re: VF9_Longbow]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Good stuff JC. The thing you found off the Aurora's stern (or maybe found you smile ) is Sammy.

Looking at your third screenshot you'd think the most obvious thing would be the lifepod. But all I see is resources smile Huge lithium deposits, quartz, limestone/sandstone with probably a chunk of copper in it, a creature egg. The brain gets programmed to notice this stuff doesn't it? The cave entrance shot is cool too, it shows another side of this great game.

I like the Seamoth dock too. Nice touch.

#4478525 - 06/17/19 04:05 PM Re: Subnautica is amazing and frightening [Re: VF9_Longbow]  
JohnnyChemo Offline
JohnnyChemo  Offline

Buffalo, NY
Sammy the Reaper? Not a very friendly fellow, is he.

I'm going to be heading back to that pod to do a little resource acquisition. I spent last night in the Kelp Forest doing that, but the pod area has the lithium and diamond I want.

-Robert Heinlein
#4478530 - 06/17/19 04:45 PM Re: Subnautica is amazing and frightening [Re: VF9_Longbow]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
No, he is rather inhospitable. I remember when I first encountered him. I heard him, and stopped dead. I peered in to the distance, and saw something. Large. He roared again. I turned around and left. He got me later though. I also need a new Seamoth at that point smile

#4478537 - 06/17/19 05:45 PM Re: Subnautica is amazing and frightening [Re: VF9_Longbow]  
JohnnyChemo Offline
JohnnyChemo  Offline

Buffalo, NY
I may have also soiled my radiation suit when he grabbed my Moth!

-Robert Heinlein
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.