Page 2 of 2 1 2
#4477613 - 06/11/19 03:26 PM Re: A good avenue for homeless [Re: Marc]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
I've been busted flat, and it's no picnic; I don't know if I'd of taken advantage of all the programs they have now for Tramps, but I knew it was just a very temporary situation for me.

I met a lot of vagrants and bums on my short journey into abject poverty - folks that had resigned themselves or just flat out decided it was the life for them. There are no amount of programs that can turn around someone who wants to live on the streets, especially if life is made (relatively) easy.

Snug as a bug in a modern jungle with booze, pot, food, and a little shelter, along with a bunch of folks to come around and cluck over one with a handout ain't the best life, but if the selection of city is done with due diligence, all the world is one's crapper (with applause from the city gov't).

Candy Rock Mountain is a real thing in today's America.

The opinions of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

More dumb stuff at http://www.darts-page.com

From Laser:
"The forum is the place where combat (real time) flight simulator fans come to play turn based strategy combat."
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4477617 - 06/11/19 03:31 PM Re: A good avenue for homeless [Re: Dart]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by Dart
There are no amount of programs that can turn around someone who wants to live on the streets, especially if life is made (relatively) easy.

I've had several homeless individuals in the Miami area tell me that they either are happy "living off the grid" or that they can make more money pan-handling on the street corners than they can by working some job at a fast food place.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4477658 - 06/11/19 08:39 PM Re: A good avenue for homeless [Re: Marc]  
jack72 Offline
jack72  Offline

Toronto
To me....street pan handlers are potential hood ornaments.

- I know those voices in my head are not real, but man they have some good ideas.

- I never killed anyone, but I have read a large number of obituaries with great satisfaction.

- If I cannot make it to your funeral, I will certainly send a message indicating my approval.

- Most of my Friends are Imaginary

- Time is money, so I decided to sell my watch.
#4477674 - 06/11/19 11:17 PM Re: A good avenue for homeless [Re: jack72]  
Crane Hunter Offline
Veteran
Crane Hunter  Offline
Veteran

Master Meme-er
Originally Posted by jack72
I have no sympathy for homelessness.
I strongly believe it is a function of their own demise.

So sad,,but to bad.

Spend to much and don't save for a rainy day....that's your fault
Lose a job, bills get out of control....there is other work you can do. social assistance and downsize life.
Get sick, can't earn an income?..that is why we have insurance...but you didn't get any? Why not....everyone needs it....Not the right policy?....Read what you are buying. (Educate yourself,,,Educate yourself ... Educate yourself)
Loss money in an investment scam....why didn't you pay better attention, research, and educate yourself to know what the broker(s) are doing, I have brokers and I read my statements each month and question them. I now exactly what they are doing and how much my fees are.

No Sympathy.. to those walking and sleeping on the streets....
When I see a homeless person stick his handout,,,I laugh,,,and say "Sorry, all I have are credit cards and $100.00 bills.
When they panhandle at stoplights....I roll down my window and when they approach the car I empty out the ashtray.
But I do say....Have a nice day.

*Laughs in Happy Merchant*

#4477675 - 06/11/19 11:30 PM Re: A good avenue for homeless [Re: jack72]  
Zamzow Offline
Zamzow  Offline

Originally Posted by jack72
I have no sympathy for homelessness.
I strongly believe it is a function of their own demise.

So sad,,but to bad.

Spend to much and don't save for a rainy day....that's your fault
Lose a job, bills get out of control....there is other work you can do. social assistance and downsize life.
Get sick, can't earn an income?..that is why we have insurance...but you didn't get any? Why not....everyone needs it....Not the right policy?....Read what you are buying. (Educate yourself,,,Educate yourself ... Educate yourself)
Loss money in an investment scam....why didn't you pay better attention, research, and educate yourself to know what the broker(s) are doing, I have brokers and I read my statements each month and question them. I now exactly what they are doing and how much my fees are.

No Sympathy.. to those walking and sleeping on the streets....
When I see a homeless person stick his handout,,,I laugh,,,and say "Sorry, all I have are credit cards and $100.00 bills.
When they panhandle at stoplights....I roll down my window and when they approach the car I empty out the ashtray.
But I do say....Have a nice day.

You're talking about the degenerates. The drug/alcohol addicted. These types stand out. Well, so do the mentally ill ones (as in mentally ill from the beginning, not getting there from drug/alcohol use).

The people who are homeless through no fault of their own? 99% of THEM you wouldn't be able to identify as being homeless unless they're running a cardboard sign, openly declaring it. But ever notice most the people doing that LOOK homeless?

I never once ran a cardboard sign. I'd have cops stop me and ask for my address, they DID NOT believe me when I told them I was homeless. Then they'd ask to see my camp, to "prove it". Nope. Ain't happening. You want to give me three hots and a cot go for it, no WAY am I disclosing the location of my camp!

On the topic of panhandling - I once saw a homeless guy (one of the obvious ones) run a sign saying "Desperately Need Cans". People were handing him cans out their windows left and right, AND money. Seems his sign was getting him a bit of respect...

Aggressive panhandlers should be taken out back and shot though.

#4477677 - 06/11/19 11:49 PM Re: A good avenue for homeless [Re: Marc]  
LB4LB Offline
Still lurking about
LB4LB  Offline
Still lurking about
Hotshot

Detroit Burbs
One bad thing about summer here is the panhandlers in downtown Detroit are VERY aggressive. They get right in your face and almost demand you give them something. The cops do a pretty good job of giving them the "bum rush" as deserved, but they are everywhere.

I used to see a very young girl who would sit right at one of the highway exit ramps with a sign that would say "Need money for food". She looked like she could use a meal. One day I told her to walk over to the Wendy's parking lot nearby and I would by her some food. She told me that she would rather have the money. I told her never mind.

One time we had a homeless person sitting under the awning of the front door of our office building. It was a very hot day.We decided not to call the cops. We even gave him water and each of us gave him part of our lunches. We told him he could stay out of the sun until it cooled down. As we were watching him on the security camera, he thanked us by pulling down his pants and taking a really nasty dump right in front our door.

I have had too many of these incidents to have anymore compassion for most of the homeless I see. I understand that they are not all like this, and that each one has a different set of circumstances. I have just seen too many nasty things. I wish I wasn't so jaded, but I am.

#4477678 - 06/11/19 11:56 PM Re: A good avenue for homeless [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Zamzow Offline
Zamzow  Offline

Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer
Originally Posted by Dart
There are no amount of programs that can turn around someone who wants to live on the streets, especially if life is made (relatively) easy.

I've had several homeless individuals in the Miami area tell me that they either are happy "living off the grid" or that they can make more money pan-handling on the street corners than they can by working some job at a fast food place.

And now for the reality of that (Panzers sentence). Barring special circumstances the income of a sign runner, as stated by the person in question, is usually wildly exaggerated, and "pride" is the motive for that.

I've been out there with guys who ran signs. I knew (intimately) the truth of the matter. Now that's not to say they never have a really lucky day though - I spent nearly a year living under this bridge, and there was this other guy who lived under a tree about 700 feet away. He had a dog, and ran his sign next to a grocery store in a fairly affluent neighborhood a few miles away.

So EVERY day he'd get offers for dog food, and it never took long before he'd have to turn those offers down, pointing to the bags he already had, saying "I've got plenty and I can't carry any more anyway".

So then sometimes they'd give him money, since they're already talking with him...

I had a landscaping/gardening job at the time (which eventually got me out of that particular homeless stretch), and maybe 2 days a month I'd "come home" and he'd made more money than me for the day!

But he'd also have many days where he didn't get a single dime, or just a few bucks.

It's been over 20 years, but I actually tracked his income for a month once and I think it came out to an average of about 12 bucks a day (cash, not including all the dog food).

Keep in mind this was a guy who was very friendly and mild mannered, and his dog was very friendly and charismatic too. (side note, he died of pneumonia out there at age 46 right after I left).

There was this other guy, in another year, who was a burn victim. Seriously disfigured face. HE made pretty good money, without even having a dog. I didn't know him so intimately, but yeah he probably was pretty close to the income of a part time minimum wager...

Now both these guys were just running signs - passive.

I offer no comment on active, let alone aggressive panhandlers, because I refused to ever hang out with those types...

#4477679 - 06/12/19 12:06 AM Re: A good avenue for homeless [Re: LB4LB]  
Zamzow Offline
Zamzow  Offline

Originally Posted by LB4LB
As we were watching him on the security camera, he thanked us by pulling down his pants and taking a really nasty dump right in front our door.

No way for me to know his motive, but whether deliberate or not I bet he didn't take his time doing that, right?

I've gone hungry out there, then obtained food, and because either from lack of food or not eating certain types off food in ages had some INSANE bowel problems shortly afterward.

I got hit so hard once by that I actually couldn't make it to a "private" space and did the deed right in front of about ten people, AFTER ruining my pants...

But the guy could have just been being a jerk too - if he took his time about it then for sure...

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.