Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#4477193 - 06/08/19 03:35 AM A good avenue for homeless  
Marc Offline
Marc  Offline

Corona, California
IMO, we need more of them

Marc..

HP-Compaq-8100-Elite-SFF-Intel-Core-i5-660-3-33GHz-8GB-250GB-Windows7, GTX1050 -X45+Rudder Pedals, Playseat Challenge
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4477244 - 06/08/19 08:39 PM Re: A good avenue for homeless [Re: Marc]  
Crane Hunter Offline
Veteran
Crane Hunter  Offline
Veteran

Master Meme-er
You have to be reasonably "functional" to make something like this work, and of course many homeless are not.

Those that are functional are usually able to see to better living arrangements before too long.

#4477255 - 06/08/19 11:38 PM Re: A good avenue for homeless [Re: Crane Hunter]  
Zamzow Offline
Zamzow  Offline

Originally Posted by Crane Hunter
You have to be reasonably "functional" to make something like this work, and of course many homeless are not.

Those that are functional are usually able to see to better living arrangements before too long.

Nope. Usually it takes WAY too long. Took me years, not months. People who've never been homeless (and I'm not counting living in a vehicle) have zero clue of the obstacles.

#4477264 - 06/09/19 02:00 AM Re: A good avenue for homeless [Re: Zamzow]  
Crane Hunter Offline
Veteran
Crane Hunter  Offline
Veteran

Master Meme-er
Originally Posted by Zamzow

Nope. Usually it takes WAY too long. Took me years, not months. People who've never been homeless (and I'm not counting living in a vehicle) have zero clue of the obstacles.

A lot depends on circumstance, but assuming you're not suddenly left with nothing, it should not be all that difficult and expensive to at least get situated in an older RV or a cabin boat instead of having to sleep in a tent, a makeshift shelter or a car.

#4477346 - 06/09/19 10:03 PM Re: A good avenue for homeless [Re: Crane Hunter]  
Zamzow Offline
Zamzow  Offline

A lot depends on circumstance, but assuming you're not suddenly left with nothing, it should not be all that difficult and expensive to at least get situated in an older RV or a cabin boat instead of having to sleep in a tent, a makeshift shelter or a car.

Being suddenly left with nothing goes hand in hand with homelessness.

"Get situated in an older RV or CABIN BOAT"???

If you have the ability to do that and you're homeless you're homeless by choice.

#4477351 - 06/09/19 10:40 PM Re: A good avenue for homeless [Re: Marc]  
Zamzow Offline
Zamzow  Offline

Here's a quick example of what people don't know, and can't IMAGINE, if you end up homeless...

First thing is the shunning. And the better off you were before it happened the more severe it is. You think you have family? Watch what happens if you go homeless, and AGAIN, the better off you were before it happened the worse this will be. A minimum wage 21 year old will get some sympathy and help - MAYBE.

You used to make six figures and got thrown into the pit? You're so screwed. You're a "Rich Guy Who Ended Up In Prison" in terms of the street, and to your former family and friends you're a suspected drug user.

They'll say to themselves "I'd never let that happen to ME, so HE must have REALLY screwed up".

It gets even worse if you're "functional" - because then you don't LOOK homeless. Now you're someone CLAIMING it, but people don't believe you. You're just on some kind of attention seeking "poor me" BS - which ostracizes you from the people who matter just as much as if you really did sink yourself down on drugs...

You lose connections very fast. You lose options very fast. People stop answering your communication attempts. You GET SHUNNED. Even by your own family (unless they themselves have been there, or real close to it).

This all happens within weeks, not months.

This is just how the first month works out. While you're trying (maybe successfully, maybe not) to deal with the shock of it. The logistics of it. Because you realize very harshly YOU DIDN'T KNOW JACK about being homeless...

#4477360 - 06/09/19 11:41 PM Re: A good avenue for homeless [Re: Zamzow]  
Crane Hunter Offline
Veteran
Crane Hunter  Offline
Veteran

Master Meme-er

Being suddenly left with nothing goes hand in hand with homelessness.

"Get situated in an older RV or CABIN BOAT"???

If you have the ability to do that and you're homeless you're homeless by choice.

There are MANY homeless living in RVs and boats in my region, while for some its clearly by choice, most of them are just trying to make the best of a bad situation. Cheap RVs and cabin boats start at only a few thousand dollars locally, and we pay more than most for almost everything.

The amount of warning time you might have, as well as preparations, depends on the individual.

#4477361 - 06/10/19 12:03 AM Re: A good avenue for homeless [Re: Marc]  
Zamzow Offline
Zamzow  Offline

No offense CH, but you're just being an armchair quarterback on this.

Living in an RV or a boat, and calling that being homeless?

Really?

You think all this "depends on the individual"???

I did five years out there.

Only two with literally with what I had on my back, I concede half of my homeless time I did have either a vehicle, job, or both...

But I did two years of the hardcore version - just me and what I could carry. Sometimes without the luxury of a backpack...

You simply don't know, and nobody who's never experienced it knows. Sorry if it seems condescending - it's a pretty big irony to speak of such things with a condescending attitude...

#4477365 - 06/10/19 01:01 AM Re: A good avenue for homeless [Re: Marc]  
Crane Hunter Offline
Veteran
Crane Hunter  Offline
Veteran

Master Meme-er
Did you suddenly find yourself completed wiped out financially?

Where past circumstances such that you weren't able to put aside resources for a rainy day?

I don't know your situation, but I'm in a bit of a tough spot myself at the moment, where I've largely lived off my savings for the last 3 years while mostly being bedridden, and there's no way I'd let myself end up in that kind of situation.

#4477373 - 06/10/19 02:20 AM Re: A good avenue for homeless [Re: Zamzow]  
Nixer Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Nixer  Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran

Living with the Trees
Here's a quick example of what people don't know, and can't IMAGINE, if you end up homeless...

First thing is the shunning. And the better off you were before it happened the more severe it is. You think you have family? Watch what happens if you go homeless, and AGAIN, the better off you were before it happened the worse this will be. A minimum wage 21 year old will get some sympathy and help - MAYBE.

You used to make six figures and got thrown into the pit? You're so screwed. You're a "Rich Guy Who Ended Up In Prison" in terms of the street, and to your former family and friends you're a suspected drug user.

They'll say to themselves "I'd never let that happen to ME, so HE must have REALLY screwed up".

It gets even worse if you're "functional" - because then you don't LOOK homeless. Now you're someone CLAIMING it, but people don't believe you. You're just on some kind of attention seeking "poor me" BS - which ostracizes you from the people who matter just as much as if you really did sink yourself down on drugs...

You lose connections very fast. You lose options very fast. People stop answering your communication attempts. You GET SHUNNED. Even by your own family (unless they themselves have been there, or real close to it).

This all happens within weeks, not months.

This is just how the first month works out. While you're trying (maybe successfully, maybe not) to deal with the shock of it. The logistics of it. Because you realize very harshly YOU DIDN'T KNOW JACK about being homeless...

Just quoted for truth at this time.

Been there, done that and left the T-shirt somewhere...

Cancer slapped me up side of the head at the most vulnerable point I had been in for about 20 yrs. I'd left my high paying (for blue collar HS grad) 80k a year job, to take care of my mom. She passed away and BANG!

I screwed up and beat the darn cancer and no one knew what to do with me!

Well, I ended up getting very lucky and being rescued by an Obama program in the VA, called HUD/VASH.

They pay a nice chunk of my rent and a pretty lady comes by every few months to admire my artwork.

Best thing I ever got out the military...

besides my pride in outstanding service.

P.S.

In 2010 I tried to check on my IRA account. I was directed to a class action lawsuit site. My (last time I had checked was over 490k) I had been paying the max monthly, with company contributions in since 1996.

I should be very comfortable, instead I try to laugh a lot.

Bernie Maidoff.

I almost got on the plane.... ar15 Oh hi Bernie...

Censored

Look for me on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook or Tic Toc...or anywhere you may frequent, besides SimHq, on the Global Scam Net. Aka, the internet.
I am not there, never have been or ever will be, but the fruitless search may be more gratifying then the "content" you might otherwise be exposed to.

"There's a sucker born every minute."
Phineas Taylor Barnum

#4477383 - 06/10/19 04:19 AM Re: A good avenue for homeless [Re: Crane Hunter]  
Zamzow Offline
Zamzow  Offline

and there's no way I'd let myself end up in that kind of situation.

Said by every homeless person who ever existed - whether addicted to drugs or victim of circumstance.

Said by every person who thinks "No way that ever happens to ME".

It's kind of like "No, not MY dog, he NEVER bites" - until it happens...

But never never will it happen to ME, right?

#4477384 - 06/10/19 04:30 AM Re: A good avenue for homeless [Re: Marc]  
Zamzow Offline
Zamzow  Offline

"No way I'd let myself end up in that kind of situation".......

That is exactly the alienation that happens when you go homeless.

And how are "they" supposed to "get it" when even you YOURSELF can't understand it?

It's a real tough thing on that level (to say nothing of homelessness itself).

You go through hell, but no respect earned....

#4477385 - 06/10/19 04:35 AM Re: A good avenue for homeless [Re: Nixer]  
Mr_Blastman Online content
Hotshot
Mr_Blastman  Online Content
Hotshot

Atlanta, GA
Originally Posted by Nixer

Bernie Maidoff.

Holy crap. You had all your money with Bernie?

#4477415 - 06/10/19 11:10 AM Re: A good avenue for homeless [Re: Marc]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Shouldn't this thread be in PWEC?

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4477435 - 06/10/19 01:50 PM Re: A good avenue for homeless [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
CyBerkut Offline
Administrator
CyBerkut  Offline
Administrator
Hotshot

Florida
Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer
Shouldn't this thread be in PWEC?

Fair question, PM. So far, the disagreements are being kept fairly civil, and there seems to be some value (similar to a public service announcement) in it, I'd like to let it run here in CH, if it stays well enough behaved and doesn't stray deeper into the P, E or C of PWEC.

------------------

Regarding homelessness... there are multiple paths to ending up in that situation. I can only try to imagine how awful it must be. Considering what percentage of our population is living a mere 1 or 2 paychecks away from imploding financially... the numbers of homeless are not that surprising to me. To explore the causes and/or solutions to reducing it would definitely get well into PWEC-ish discussion on public policy.

#4477439 - 06/10/19 02:26 PM Re: A good avenue for homeless [Re: Mr_Blastman]  
Nixer Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Nixer  Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran

Living with the Trees
Originally Posted by Mr_Blastman
Originally Posted by Nixer

Bernie Maidoff.

Holy crap. You had all your money with Bernie?

No, my money was with a "investment company" in LA that ran my, and hundreds of others, IRA's. It had invested very heavily in Bernie's con.

Didn't even bother with the class action. I don't think the lawyers even got paid, so I know none of the suckers did.

I was more than a little upset at the time. Don't like to think about it much.

Censored

Look for me on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook or Tic Toc...or anywhere you may frequent, besides SimHq, on the Global Scam Net. Aka, the internet.
I am not there, never have been or ever will be, but the fruitless search may be more gratifying then the "content" you might otherwise be exposed to.

"There's a sucker born every minute."
Phineas Taylor Barnum

#4477443 - 06/10/19 02:49 PM Re: A good avenue for homeless [Re: Marc]  
Mr_Blastman Online content
Hotshot
Mr_Blastman  Online Content
Hotshot

Atlanta, GA
Well, I know there's no solace in that he's rotting in prison and his son killed himself, but man, sorry to hear that. Glad you have your service benefits to fall back on. These days, perks like those are harder and harder to come by with the huge push towards businesses offering 401ks and not pensions.

#4477446 - 06/10/19 03:02 PM Re: A good avenue for homeless [Re: Marc]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
It’s mostly public/government employees who still have the old style defined-benefit pensions.

The great majority of those pension schemes are also in dire financial straits. It’s no coincidence.

Last edited by PanzerMeyer; 06/10/19 03:02 PM.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4477553 - 06/11/19 05:21 AM Re: A good avenue for homeless [Re: Crane Hunter]  
Zamzow Offline
Zamzow  Offline

Did you suddenly find yourself completed wiped out financially?

Where past circumstances such that you weren't able to put aside resources for a rainy day?

I don't know your situation, but I'm in a bit of a tough spot myself at the moment, where I've largely lived off my savings for the last 3 years while mostly being bedridden, and there's no way I'd let myself end up in that kind of situation.

A big rule of the street: You can ask your fellow streeters what happened, but you NEVER quiz/interrogate them as to how they might have prevented it. Such talk insinuates that you and your "superior knowledge" could have prevented their plight if only they were as smart as YOU, yet there you are out there with them...

It's almost like a prison environment (full disclosure, I've done a year in jail, but never went to prison).

I won't even go into what happens when NON streeters start preaching...

#4477609 - 06/11/19 03:05 PM Re: A good avenue for homeless [Re: Marc]  
jack72 Offline
jack72  Offline

Toronto
I have no sympathy for homelessness.
I strongly believe it is a function of their own demise.

So sad,,but to bad.

Spend to much and don't save for a rainy day....that's your fault
Lose a job, bills get out of control....there is other work you can do. social assistance and downsize life.
Get sick, can't earn an income?..that is why we have insurance...but you didn't get any? Why not....everyone needs it....Not the right policy?....Read what you are buying. (Educate yourself,,,Educate yourself ... Educate yourself)
Loss money in an investment scam....why didn't you pay better attention, research, and educate yourself to know what the broker(s) are doing, I have brokers and I read my statements each month and question them. I now exactly what they are doing and how much my fees are.

No Sympathy.. to those walking and sleeping on the streets....
When I see a homeless person stick his handout,,,I laugh,,,and say "Sorry, all I have are credit cards and $100.00 bills.
When they panhandle at stoplights....I roll down my window and when they approach the car I empty out the ashtray.
But I do say....Have a nice day.

- I know those voices in my head are not real, but man they have some good ideas.

- I never killed anyone, but I have read a large number of obituaries with great satisfaction.

- If I cannot make it to your funeral, I will certainly send a message indicating my approval.

- Most of my Friends are Imaginary

- Time is money, so I decided to sell my watch.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.