Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#4476800 - 06/05/19 05:22 PM Re: R.I.P. Steve Blankenship - Long Live BMS and VR [Re: Sleepdoc]  
Boomer Offline
(v) Viper Driver
Boomer  Offline
(v) Viper Driver

Long time Falconeer and DCS flier back to Flanker circa 1995.

Aint no way the ED F16 will supplant what BMS offers, for reasons already noted.

"Learning to fly the Falcon is just your ticket to the dance" - Pete 'Boomer' Bonanni.
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4476808 - 06/05/19 06:48 PM Re: R.I.P. Steve Blankenship - Long Live BMS and VR [Re: Sleepdoc]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Hotshot

NooJoyzee
I'm all for the in-memoriam stuff, can't fault that. RIP mate.

But the rest is boggling me. Like, I find it difficult to believe that someone would ditch BMS for DCS because of VR. I can see flying both, but considering BMS is dead because of it seems odd. I suppose people have their own motivations for what they fly, but specifically in regards to BMS I reckon most (but clearly not all) players do so because of the high fidelity jet and the campaign. VR's cool, but can it really be enough to cause a BMS player to ditch it?

I don't know in what state the DCS Viper will be released, or what state it will eventually reach, but I certainly have my suspicions. If EDs entire track record is applied to the F-16 module I think you're going to see a beautiful, awesome sounding F-16 with many missing, incomplete or broken systems. Systems that BMS nails. Could a simmer really decide that they prefer the incomplete jet just because it looks nicer? Consciously decide that graphics trump detailed systems, avionics and a persistent dynamic battlefield in which to fly it? I know the answer to that is yes, but it still gives me trouble smile

Animals flee this hell, the hardest stones cannot bear it for long. Only men endure
#4477064 - 06/07/19 02:54 PM Re: R.I.P. Steve Blankenship - Long Live BMS and VR [Re: DBond]  
Bard Offline
Bard  Offline

vancouver
I will admit - i don't flight sim anymore because of VR. It was like getting trackir - once you had it you can't go back. DCS Viper ALMOST has me deciding to fly again, but without the dynamic campaign and being unable to play it smoothly turns me off doing it.

The main VR related issue for DCS is that the system requirements to run with VR, AND upscale the resolution to make visual fidelity approach what is available on a monitor are astronomical.

With VR games requiring high visual fidelity (like flight sims) the main issue isn't about the resolution of the headsets, but the resolution of what is being passed to the headset coupled with high enough framerates. If you look at many of the Steam Labs game they look excellent because the graphics are simple enough that supersampling can upscale without a huge impact on framerate.

Similarly, games like Falcon4 or IL2Sturmovik are at what I consider to be the sweet spot for conversion to VR - allowing similar upscaling as the Steam labs stuff.

Last edited by Bard; 06/07/19 02:57 PM.

What WW2 Fighter pilots say about Angels and Airspeed:

"Nice job of getting down to the basics - love your choice of a cover!" Col. Clarence 'Bud' Anderson

"I have enjoyed reading angels and airspeed, it should prove good reading for all interested in combat tactics and their application related to the fluid air environment and state of technology in WWII years. All the best as you make it available." - Col. Charles McGee - Tuskegee Airman

NEVER ENGAGE STUPID.
#4479672 - 06/24/19 12:00 AM Re: R.I.P. Steve Blankenship - Long Live BMS and VR [Re: Sleepdoc]  
WolverineFW Offline
WolverineFW  Offline

I am still trying to figure out how to activate the Nose Wheel Steering......... :p

#4479682 - 06/24/19 02:39 AM Re: R.I.P. Steve Blankenship - Long Live BMS and VR [Re: Sleepdoc]  
schnidrman Offline
Jason Schneider
schnidrman  Offline
Jason Schneider

Kansas City, Missouri
"Shift /" on your key board.

If you are not using rudder pedals you can enable roll linked steering in the UI/Setup/Advanced/View Control page. Otherwise, use the arrow keys to steer.

Clear skies!

[Linked Image]
#4479696 - 06/24/19 08:06 AM Re: R.I.P. Steve Blankenship - Long Live BMS and VR [Re: WolverineFW]  
theOden Offline
theOden  Offline

Originally Posted by WolverineFW
I am still trying to figure out how to activate the Nose Wheel Steering......... :p

Haha long time since I heard that one smile
All we need now is Aragorns HARM incident for the complete Time-Warp

#4479757 - 06/24/19 05:44 PM Re: R.I.P. Steve Blankenship - Long Live BMS and VR [Re: schnidrman]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Hotshot

NooJoyzee
Originally Posted by schnidrman

If you are not using rudder pedals you can enable roll linked steering in the UI/Setup/Advanced/View Control page. Otherwise, use the arrow keys to steer.

I think he was having some fun smile

And anyway, the answer is clearly Ctrl-E (Hold)

Animals flee this hell, the hardest stones cannot bear it for long. Only men endure
#4479762 - 06/24/19 06:10 PM Re: R.I.P. Steve Blankenship - Long Live BMS and VR [Re: DBond]  
schnidrman Offline
Jason Schneider
schnidrman  Offline
Jason Schneider

Kansas City, Missouri
Yeah, went right over my head... hahaha

[Linked Image]
#4479986 - 06/25/19 11:23 PM Re: R.I.P. Steve Blankenship - Long Live BMS and VR [Re: theOden]  
JohnnyChemo Offline
JohnnyChemo  Offline

Buffalo, NY
Originally Posted by theOden
[quote=WolverineFW]
All we need now is Aragorns HARM incident for the complete Time-Warp

I used to LIVE for letting that thread disappear from the front page on Frugal's board only to bring it up again, or using "frubles" to make it sticky for a bit!! Thanks for that memory!

I may have to give BMS another crack...it's been a while!

Elite Dangerous: CMDR JohnnyChemo
MWO: Johnny Keemo

Always be yourself. Unless you can be Batman.
Then always be Batman.
#4480077 - 06/26/19 04:34 PM Re: R.I.P. Steve Blankenship - Long Live BMS and VR [Re: Sleepdoc]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Hotshot

NooJoyzee
Frug's sniff sniff

When's the last time you flew Falcon JC?

It's in the best place it's ever been in my opinion, with BMS.

Wait until you're done with Subnautica though biggrin

#4480625 - 06/29/19 05:38 PM Re: R.I.P. Steve Blankenship - Long Live BMS and VR [Re: Sleepdoc]  
JohnnyChemo Offline
JohnnyChemo  Offline

Buffalo, NY
I'll admit it's been a while since I last strapped into the F-16. Had a lot of fun flying in the Freebirds, as well as with the iBeta team right after Microprose went belly up.

I've dabbled in DCS lately, but nothing was ever quite the same as the campaign in Falcon. I went and downloaded the newest BMS, and grabbed the first Falcon disk I could find to install it.
Unfortunately, I grabbed Allied Force, and that didn't seem to be one of the approved installs. So rather than go through the trouble of hunting down the old CD (I still have my binder!!) I just picked it up
on Steam since the sale is going on.

So it's installed, but that's about it. I don't know if I'll actually do anything with it, but I think I'd like to (even if it isn't in VR!)

Elite Dangerous: CMDR JohnnyChemo
MWO: Johnny Keemo

Always be yourself. Unless you can be Batman.
Then always be Batman.
#4480841 - 07/01/19 10:41 AM Re: R.I.P. Steve Blankenship - Long Live BMS and VR [Re: DBond]  
ricnunes Offline
ricnunes  Offline

Portugal
Originally Posted by DBond
Originally Posted by schnidrman

I think he was having some fun smile

And anyway, the answer is clearly Ctrl-E (Hold)

Alternatively, ALT+F4 also worked as well (at least in the past) biggrin

#4480877 - 07/01/19 01:07 PM Re: R.I.P. Steve Blankenship - Long Live BMS and VR [Re: ricnunes]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Hotshot

NooJoyzee
Originally Posted by ricnunes

Alternatively, ALT+F4 also worked as well (at least in the past) biggrin

Well, yes of course, if you want to go full extreme nose wheel. Very advanced, not for beginners.

#4481733 - 07/06/19 10:04 AM Re: R.I.P. Steve Blankenship - Long Live BMS and VR [Re: Phoenix54C]  
Whammo Offline
Whammo  Offline

Originally Posted by Phoenix54C
Yeh

Gimme some of that stuff as well?

Falcon 4 has a PLAYGROUND built into it that puts DCS to shame...

DCS modules LOOK amazing but a set of scripted missions put their overpriced modules in the back seat.

Most falconeers will buy and try but after a while they will run back to F4 because the module is USELESS without a proper playground to enjoy it in.

I'd have to agree with this statement!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Interesting article on Apollo 11
by oldgrognard. 07/16/19 06:07 PM
Random Thoughts
by vonBaur. 07/16/19 04:49 PM
Renovations
by Alicatt. 07/16/19 10:48 AM
The Darwin Effect
by vonBaur. 07/15/19 04:02 PM
Rare Sperm Whale Encounter with ROV
by Blade_RJ. 07/14/19 10:51 PM
Anyone play War of Rights?
by Ajay. 07/14/19 09:55 AM
Top Gun Spoof "USS Cardizem"
by Coot. 07/14/19 03:30 AM
The hidden truth about he-man
by Blade_RJ. 07/13/19 10:45 PM
Storm Barry and Jim Cantore
by Cajun. 07/13/19 02:07 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.