Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4476502 - 06/03/19 12:35 PM Question about iPod/iPhone/iPad and bluetooth headphones  
letterboy1 Offline
(Heterosexual)Tchaikovsky Ballet Fan
letterboy1  Offline
Lifer

Columbus, GA USA
The technology forums are very dead right now so I hope it is not a problem to post this here.

I am using a pair of Sony XB950N1 Extra Bass Wireless Noise Canceling Headphones with my iPod Touch 6th Gen. It works great in wireless mode - that is until I started watching videos. The sound actually lags behind the video a little and it's enough to be a bit irksome when I see a drummer hit a cymbal and I hear it a little later. Using my headphones in wired mode solves this so it's really not that big of a deal, but I was curious if there was a solution to using it in wireless mode? Has anyone here even heard of this issue? Thanks in advance for any insight.

The issue is not p*ssy. The issue is monkey.
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4476506 - 06/03/19 01:04 PM Re: Question about iPod/iPhone/iPad and bluetooth headphones [Re: letterboy1]  
bones Offline
Hotshot
bones  Offline
Hotshot

Earth
I've noticed that whenever video is used via Bluetooth on certain devices that there is a lag. I notice it usually in a car audio system. I figured that the bandwith or the data transfer for something heavy like video is too much for what Bluetooth can handle. If you can, use a WiFi/WiFi hotspot connection instead.

v6,
boNes

"Also, I would prefer a back seater over the extra gas any day. I would have 80 pounds of flesh to eat and a pair of glasses to start a fire." --F/A-18 Hornet pilot
#4476525 - 06/03/19 02:28 PM Re: Question about iPod/iPhone/iPad and bluetooth headphones [Re: letterboy1]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
A little lag is normal by nature, but if it’s that noticeable, might be something else.
Can you turn off the noise cancelling? That processing may cause some lag. Interference could cause it, but I doubt you’re far off if using bluetooth. Both are bluetooth 4.1, so neither is outdated.
Check for ipod and app updates, forget the headphones from device. Reboot the ipod, re-pair the headphones. IMO, prob due to noise cancelling.

·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
·Intel i5-9600K ·EVGA GTX1070 FTW 8GB ·EVGA CLC 120 Cooler
·16 GB Patriot Memory VIPER 4 3000MHz ·GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WiFi Mobo
· CORSAIR CARBIDE AIR 540 case ·BenQ BL3200PT monitor
#4476540 - 06/03/19 03:47 PM Re: Question about iPod/iPhone/iPad and bluetooth headphones [Re: letterboy1]  
VF9_Longbow Offline
Hotshot
VF9_Longbow  Offline
Hotshot

Tokyo, Japan
Make sure the radio dongle you're using is a good one.

I don't think lag is normal nor acceptable, these are radio waves we're talking about, they travel at the speed of light. There should be no perceptible lag, bluetooth is more than capable of handling audio with no lag. Bluetooth's bandwidth limit is 800kbps which is a way higher bitrate than most people listen to music at. For example a typical 1080p youtube video has 192kbps audio bitrate. It doesn't even come close to the limit. If for some reason your device is trying to shove video signals down the bluetooth stream though, it will probably prioritize the video and that will cause an audio desync. This is probably a windows configuration problem, not sure exactly what but there's probably a solution you can find by searching. Setting your video player to high CPU priority might fix it immediately, or unchecking one of the CPU affinity boxes to leave one CPU free for other duties might work as well.

Possible contributors to lag are excessive distance of the receiver from the transmitter. Another possibility is too many bluetooth or wifi devices in the area which will cause a literal traffic jam, packet damage / errors etc. Not sure if it's possible to change the bluetooth frequency of your devices or not. This includes traffic from neighbors. Another possibility is bad radio signal reception in your particular room. That could be due to a whole lotta complicated factors. Not easy to test for without specialized radio antenna equipment.

Other possibilities are insufficient encoding performance - if your computer is too slow to handle playing high resolution video AND encoding of the packets at the same time, the audio will desync. Unlikely for most decent pc's but it is possible depending on the configuration.

Updating your bluetooth firmware -might- resolve the issue. Otherwise getting a better dongle will probably solve it if the issue isn't caused by having noise cancelling turned on in the headphones.

Here is an interesting thread that may be related to the problem you're having. If the design is as bad as the Sony headphones they're talking about near the top of the thread, it may be worth getting different headphones with a better design that doesn't bounce the signal around a hundred times before playing sound to your ears:
https://www.reddit.com/r/GooglePixel/comments/7qc9ai/bluetooth_latency_audiovideo_lag_the/

Last edited by VF9_Longbow; 06/03/19 04:06 PM.
#4476599 - 06/03/19 07:53 PM Re: Question about iPod/iPhone/iPad and bluetooth headphones [Re: letterboy1]  
letterboy1 Offline
letterboy1  Offline
Lifer

Columbus, GA USA
I'll look at the noise canceling option.

Longbow, I can't say for sure, but the link you gave me might concern blue tooth earbuds only.

By the way, thanks for the input everybody! smile

#4476616 - 06/03/19 10:26 PM Re: Question about iPod/iPhone/iPad and bluetooth headphones [Re: Raw Kryptonite]  
letterboy1 Offline
letterboy1  Offline
Lifer

Columbus, GA USA
Originally Posted by Raw Kryptonite
A little lag is normal by nature, but if it’s that noticeable, might be something else.
Can you turn off the noise cancelling? That processing may cause some lag. Interference could cause it, but I doubt you’re far off if using bluetooth. Both are bluetooth 4.1, so neither is outdated.
Check for ipod and app updates, forget the headphones from device. Reboot the ipod, re-pair the headphones. IMO, prob due to noise cancelling.

I turned off the noise canceling feature and watched several videos - no lag. Raw Kryptonite, you nailed it on this one! Thanks. This is even better than using the cable because noise canceling isn't that big of a deal for me. smile

#4476620 - 06/03/19 11:00 PM Re: Question about iPod/iPhone/iPad and bluetooth headphones [Re: letterboy1]  
letterboy1 Offline
letterboy1  Offline
Lifer

Columbus, GA USA
By the way, just one more reason why asking at SimHQ is a good idea. smile

#4476623 - 06/03/19 11:39 PM Re: Question about iPod/iPhone/iPad and bluetooth headphones [Re: letterboy1]  
Raw Kryptonite Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Raw Kryptonite  Offline
Beat the Kobayashi Maru
Veteran

MS
Great news! Glad to help.

·Steam: Raw Kryptonite ·MWO & Elite Dangerous: Defcon Won ·Meager youtube channel
·Intel i5-9600K ·EVGA GTX1070 FTW 8GB ·EVGA CLC 120 Cooler
·16 GB Patriot Memory VIPER 4 3000MHz ·GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS PRO WiFi Mobo
· CORSAIR CARBIDE AIR 540 case ·BenQ BL3200PT monitor

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.