#4476350 - 06/02/19 01:49 AM Re: The one that got away. [Re: MarkG]  
NH2112 Offline
Veteran
NH2112  Offline
Veteran

Jackman, ME
Originally Posted by MarkG
Originally Posted by NH2112
If you want REAL fun buy a Jeep, there’s nothing like top- & doors-off driving in the summer. TJ (97-06), YJ (87-95), CJ (up to 86), and JK/JL (07-17/18-on) in order of preference. (JK & JL are technological nightmares not worth owning if out of warranty.)

Not my speed. smile But I could see owning something like this if I wasn't surrounded by flat rural curvy highways.

Those are the 2nd best places to drive them! Gearing down for curves then accelerating & upshifting out of them, they’re some of the best seat-of-the-pants vehicles out there. Plus you can take them places like this, too! Though I did end up blowing the engine in a mud bog not too long after this pic was taken. 😂

[Linked Image]

Phil

“The biggest problem people have is they don’t think they’re supposed to have problems.” - Hayes Barnard
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4476354 - 06/02/19 03:05 AM Re: The one that got away. [Re: MarkG]  
Crane Hunter Offline
Veteran
Crane Hunter  Offline
Veteran

Master Meme-er
Just
Empty
Every
Pocket

#4476367 - 06/02/19 11:48 AM Re: The one that got away. [Re: MarkG]  
Ajay Offline
Ajay  Offline
Veteran

Brisbane OZ
I'm boring, i prefer old school grunt to cornering. My dream car is still a 1970 Holden Hg GTS Monaro.

[Linked Image]

If i ever had the money that's the car and paintjob i would want. Slam in a more modern driveline and suspension and modernise the interior. New dash, new seats, airbags, and modern lighting system

My il2 page
Seelowe Campaign
Cliffs of Dover page
CloD
My Models
Tanks/Planes/Ships

#4476415 - 06/02/19 06:10 PM Re: The one that got away. [Re: MarkG]  
Dunolde Offline
Dunolde  Offline

MARKG,

I've been looking into used Miata 5s now for a about 5 weeks, online, mainly through CarGurus. Missed a couple of beauties, micah red, because I tarried too long. Lots of used Miatas available, less than 10K for earlier models, 2006+, to 15K+ for more recent models, 2012-2015 or so. Many with not too high miles, ca. 25000. Most are about 2 hour's drive away, too long a drive to end up being disappointed and have to return. Not suprisingly, several with at least one or two accidents in their history. Thank god for Carfax. Not having a lot of success since I can't afford new - 15K is pushing it for me, and most good ones get scooped up very quickly.
On the plus side, wife told me to "go ahead"!
Let me know what, if anything, you come up with.

Thanks

#4476422 - 06/02/19 07:59 PM Re: The one that got away. [Re: MarkG]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Will do, Dunolde. But it will be new (I'll show the numbers) and I plan to keep it for at least 20 years (I'm 51 now, should be long enough).

To the others...I can see the appeal of Jeeps, brute muscle and topless sporty luxury. But it's not me, I prefer something small, tossable and low maintenance, good economy but still fun to drive (fun to me anyway, proper stick/clutch and some type of sliding/removable roof mandatory). My '89 CRX was perfect for the time (the Si was a no-brainer if just for the standard stick and sunroof, although I'd rather have went topless). My '99 Civic Si (pics below) was ok for just under $20k, but I believe I've finally outgrown Civics and I haven't really cared for Honda's direction since the 90's.

The sportiest car I've driven recently was a new VW Beetle turbo rental that I drove to NYC in March. Both charming and kinda quirky, a topless one might be fun but it's no Miata. Since then I've wanted to own a another car that I actually enjoy driving, also to have a proper date night car to cruise around in (usually LSU campus or downtown Baton Rouge) and my Honda Element just isn't cutting it. smile

Attached Files Picture 001.jpgPicture 007.jpgPicture 010.jpg

The rusty wire that holds the cork that keeps the anger in
Gives way and suddenly it’s day again
The sun is in the east
Even though the day is done
Two suns in the sunset, hmph
Could be the human race is run
#4476439 - 06/02/19 11:31 PM Re: The one that got away. [Re: MarkG]  
KraziKanuK Offline
Veteran
KraziKanuK  Offline
Veteran

Ottawa Canada
Hard to pick up chicks in that unless it is all tricked out and even then....

There was only 16 squadrons of RAF fighters that used 100 octane during the BoB.
The Fw190A could not fly with the outer cannon removed.
There was no Fw190A-8s flying with the JGs in 1945.
#4476455 - 06/03/19 01:47 AM Re: The one that got away. [Re: MarkG]  
Ajay Offline
Ajay  Offline
Veteran

Brisbane OZ
Will do, Dunolde. But it will be new (I'll show the numbers) and I plan to keep it for at least 20 years (I'm 51 now, should be long enough).

To the others...I can see the appeal of Jeeps, brute muscle and topless sporty luxury. But it's not me, I prefer something small, tossable and low maintenance, good economy but still fun to drive (fun to me anyway, proper stick/clutch and some type of sliding/removable roof mandatory). My '89 CRX was perfect for the time (the Si was a no-brainer if just for the standard stick and sunroof, although I'd rather have went topless). My '99 Civic Si (pics below) was ok for just under $20k, but I believe I've finally outgrown Civics and I haven't really cared for Honda's direction since the 90's.

I've a mate who used to be into muscle cars, throws money at them like he is refurbishing a house, so much money. In the last ten or so years he got into a lot import stuff, Hondas, Nissans and Toyotas mainly, all the sporty stuff that wasn't available here off the showroom floor. It would be no stretch to say he has over 25 cars in under 15 years. Beautiful cars though, his cars are always 110% pristine condition and then with upgrades, bigger turbos, intercoolers, manifolds, ecu's etc they also go like cut mustard. He doesn't put those w ank exhausts on them or crappy kmart kits either, all high end aftermarket parts or the best the factory performance side has to offer. The weird part? buys them at a decent price, spends a whack of cash, drives them for a bit and then takes a loss on the sale. We've been at him for years to buy a house and then use that to fund his car obsession but he just keeps renting and throwing that dead money away. He could have paid off at least one nice house with a good chunk of land and be well on his way to another with the money he spends on his metal. Recently he just got back into current gen muscle but kept his Honda Type R (whatever Japanese version unavailable here) import. Cars man, if only they weren't so #%&*$# cool:)

My il2 page
Seelowe Campaign
Cliffs of Dover page
CloD
My Models
Tanks/Planes/Ships

#4476456 - 06/03/19 01:51 AM Re: The one that got away. [Re: MarkG]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Originally Posted by KraziKanuK
Hard to pick up chicks in that unless it is all tricked out and even then....

Pffft. I once picked up this chick for a date in my mom's Dodge Aries K-car station wagon with wood grain paneling! And my mom was driving!! And the chick married me!!! eek2

The problem with the Miata is going to be fighting over who drives...and I'm not kidding. smile

The sun is in the east
#4476457 - 06/03/19 01:58 AM Re: The one that got away. [Re: MarkG]  
KraziKanuK Offline
Veteran
KraziKanuK  Offline
Veteran

Ottawa Canada
It was a station wagon. I'll leave it at that. stirthepot

There was only 16 squadrons of RAF fighters that used 100 octane during the BoB.
The Fw190A could not fly with the outer cannon removed.
There was no Fw190A-8s flying with the JGs in 1945.
#4476458 - 06/03/19 02:14 AM Re: The one that got away. [Re: MarkG]  
LB4LB Offline
Still lurking about
LB4LB  Offline
Still lurking about
Hotshot

Detroit Burbs
We used to go "cruisin' for chicks" in my parents 1972 Ford Grand Torino Station Wagon. It was olive drab too. I had some great nights in that thing. It had plenty of room. biggrin

Last edited by LB4LB; 06/03/19 02:15 AM.
#4476459 - 06/03/19 02:23 AM Re: The one that got away. [Re: MarkG]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Ajay, that's nuts. Cool passion, though.

I buy new but I have to like how a car looks sitting in the showroom because that's exactly how it's going to look when I finally let it go. This even includes the wheels. To me, a new car already cost too much to start throwing more money at it, performance or otherwise. Either the factory gets it right or I pass.

The pics of my Civic (for example) were taken a few years after I purchased it, you can see wear on the black window trim (middle pic in previous post) and gear shift knob. I even kept the factory head unit (a first for me...although I added decent speakers and amp, sounded much better than expected for factory crap CD so I left it at that...pics below). I really should have gotten a tint job though, especially in FL.

At the major 120k mile servicing (IIRC) the Honda tech came into the lobby to tell me that he's never seen a car like mine so clean and well taken care of, including what he could see of the engine. Figures though, Civics were often abused in those days by the younger demographic who usually drove them.

I remember the fart cans. rofl

Attached Files Picture 008.jpgPicture 009.jpgPicture 017.jpg

The sun is in the east
#4476460 - 06/03/19 02:40 AM Re: The one that got away. [Re: LB4LB]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Originally Posted by LB4LB
We used to go "cruisin' for chicks" in my parents 1972 Ford Grand Torino Station Wagon. It was olive drab too. I had some great nights in that thing. It had plenty of room. biggrin

Did it have an 8-track? biggrin

The sun is in the east
#4476464 - 06/03/19 03:24 AM Re: The one that got away. [Re: MarkG]  
Crane Hunter Offline
Veteran
Crane Hunter  Offline
Veteran

Master Meme-er
I made a topic about a while back, but my dream vehicle is actually a expeditionary RV based on some sort of high performance offroad vehicle, something like a Unimog, a Tatra, a KAMAZ, or even a BRDM-2.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I could actually afford one right now but its not a wise buy unless I win the lottery or there was an impending zombie apocalypse.

#4476498 - 06/03/19 12:10 PM Re: The one that got away. [Re: MarkG]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
^ Lol. Mileage would be deplorable. eek

Pure Hollywood, but the little Alfa Romeo looks like it would have been fun to toss around...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WC3OP2vVALo

The sun is in the east
#4476583 - 06/03/19 06:09 PM Re: The one that got away. [Re: MarkG]  
Crane Hunter Offline
Veteran
Crane Hunter  Offline
Veteran

Master Meme-er
^ Lol. Mileage would be deplorable. eek

It's not great, but these aren't meant to be daily commuting vehicles, though they are Prius-like in fuel efficiency compared to powered yachts.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.