Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#4475871 - 05/28/19 11:10 PM Re: Mt. Everest - This Is No Way To Climb A Mountain [Re: Haggart]  
Crane Hunter Offline
Veteran
Crane Hunter  Offline
Veteran

Master Meme-er
Screw all that, if i'm ever in a position where I need to spend tens of thousands of dollars on a difficult and dangerous expedition, I'm going to search for a lost city in the Amazon or something.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4475873 - 05/28/19 11:28 PM Re: Mt. Everest - This Is No Way To Climb A Mountain [Re: Haggart]  
LB4LB Offline
Still lurking about
LB4LB  Offline
Still lurking about
Hotshot

Detroit Burbs
My cousin died mountain climbing down in South America (I forget exactly where). He was only 46 at the time. He suffered a heart attack, and was dead before they could get him to medical attention. I don't think he was very experienced, and probably got in over his head.

#4475876 - 05/28/19 11:44 PM Re: Mt. Everest - This Is No Way To Climb A Mountain [Re: Crane Hunter]  
Blade_RJ Offline
Simhq Weather man, dropping rain in your parade
Blade_RJ  Offline
Simhq Weather man, dropping rain in your parade
Hotshot

brasil
Originally Posted by Crane Hunter
Screw all that, if i'm ever in a position where I need to spend tens of thousands of dollars on a difficult and dangerous expedition, I'm going to search for a lost city in the Amazon or something.

there is nothing to be found in amazon, and honestly, while people tend to fear piranas and maybe aligattors the biggest threat there are panthers and giant fish that can eat an a grown child , NO JOKE. you cant go anywhere without crossing rivers. you want to find lost cities go to peru, colombia,guatemala, you may have more luck under their dense jungle to find something pre columbian.

#4475877 - 05/28/19 11:50 PM Re: Mt. Everest - This Is No Way To Climb A Mountain [Re: Haggart]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
I want to go to that location in Guatemala where Lucas shot those scenes for the rebel base on Yavin in Star Wars. biggrin

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4475878 - 05/28/19 11:52 PM Re: Mt. Everest - This Is No Way To Climb A Mountain [Re: Haggart]  
KraziKanuK Offline
Veteran
KraziKanuK  Offline
Veteran

Ottawa Canada
It would appear that the Amazon reaches into some of the countries you mention.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by KraziKanuK; 05/28/19 11:52 PM.

There was only 16 squadrons of RAF fighters that used 100 octane during the BoB.
The Fw190A could not fly with the outer cannon removed.
There was no Fw190A-8s flying with the JGs in 1945.
#4475879 - 05/29/19 12:02 AM Re: Mt. Everest - This Is No Way To Climb A Mountain [Re: Haggart]  
JimK Offline
Veteran
JimK  Offline
Veteran

Spokane,WA
Learned about altitude sickness at 14 when my cousin took me to the top of Mount Evans in Colorado. At 14,143 ft. I was a flat lander living at around 800 ft in Coon Rapids,MN.
Flew down to stay with my uncle and aunt for 3 weeks while recovering from a compound fractured second toe. It was almost amputated. Was getting close to the end of my stay
and my cousin who was 20 at the time asked if wanted to go up there. Hell yeah. We stopped at lake at 13,000 ft or so and took a quick walk around it. Biggest mistake of my life.
We made it to the top and thats where it all started. I was close to passing out from the headache that me. She got home as quick she could since she knew what was happening.
they took me in and pumped up with Oxygen and my symptoms quickly went down.

From the past 4 years we have explored all the highest passes in Colorado without any problems. Staying hydrated is critical staying safe at altitude. We learned by staying at a home
we rented at 10,465ft ft for 5 nights. They posted instructions for everyone who stays there to follow them closely or you will have medical problems that could be serious. We took
it serious and had great time. Had no idea that at higher altitude your evaporation rates are so high you have no idea its happening. Drink more water then you can stand and be fine.

Erebus Full Tower:Windows 7 Ult 64bit:Intel� Core� i7
3930K Processor(6x 3.20GHz)32GB[4 GB X8] DDR3-1866:GPU
NVIDIA GeForce GTX Titan 6GB:1.5Kw PSU: 43" Sceptre 4k:
LG Blu-ray burner,: hd1/750GB,hd2/2TB,hd3/1TB,hd4/1TB,HD5/4TB

Youtube videos
Flickr Photos
#4475881 - 05/29/19 12:10 AM Re: Mt. Everest - This Is No Way To Climb A Mountain [Re: Haggart]  
Mad Max Offline
survivor
Mad Max  Offline
survivor
Hotshot

NSW, Australia
I live at 1300 meters and it's OK. Even at the top of Pikes Peak in Colorado I could breathe OK, but that was in 2006.

The thing about the Everest story that got my attention was all the cadavers lying about that have never been recovered. Creepy.

"You'll never take me alive" said he,
And his ghost may be heard if you pass by that billabong
"Who'll come a Waltzing Matilda with me?"

#4475888 - 05/29/19 01:24 AM Re: Mt. Everest - This Is No Way To Climb A Mountain [Re: Haggart]  
Blade_Meister Offline
Blade_Meister  Offline

Atlanta, GA, USA
On Amazon Prime they have a show called,.... you guessed it "Everest" and then in the intro scenes and returning from commercials(which are cut out) the say real slow " EEEVVVVEERRRRR EEEEVVVVEEEEERRRRR EEEVVVEEERRR RRREESSSSTTTTT RRREEESSSSTTT RRREEESSSTTT! LMAO, but anyway I think it was a Discovery show that started in 2016? Anyway. if you haven't seen it check it out the first season is awesome, the second season is pretty good and the third season basically sucked, but hey I really enjoyed the first two. I think they are like 8 parts each and very interesting. I just finished season 3 and all of these headlines about Everest are catching my eye. The Gov over there are selling to many permits and it is becoming ridicules, just like that picture above. I guess if people are stupid enough to go try that knowing that there will be upwards of 600 other people trying to do it in the same brief window of opportunity then what is pictured above is going to happen every year. Stupid is as Stupid does. My 2 cents for what it's worth.

Mad Max, if I remember correctly, in the first season of Everest they explain that their is some strange tradition that if you die on the mountain, you stay on the mountain.
S!Blade<><

Last edited by Blade_Meister; 05/29/19 01:26 AM.
#4475899 - 05/29/19 03:30 AM Re: Mt. Everest - This Is No Way To Climb A Mountain [Re: Mad Max]  
JimK Offline
Veteran
JimK  Offline
Veteran

Spokane,WA
Originally Posted by Mad Max
I live at 1300 meters and it's OK. Even at the top of Pikes Peak in Colorado I could breathe OK, but that was in 2006.

The thing about the Everest story that got my attention was all the cadavers lying about that have never been recovered. Creepy.

Did you actively run run around like that at a 14 year old kid would. With a healing broken toe. Surprise to me. I was excited to be there no matter
how bad it hurt. Then it hit me. WOW. Never in my life have I had head ache like that, She sad I passed out on the way down, Don`t remember
any of it. She thought she killed me. She was a wreck for days.

Erebus Full Tower:Windows 7 Ult 64bit:Intel� Core� i7
3930K Processor(6x 3.20GHz)32GB[4 GB X8] DDR3-1866:GPU
NVIDIA GeForce GTX Titan 6GB:1.5Kw PSU: 43" Sceptre 4k:
LG Blu-ray burner,: hd1/750GB,hd2/2TB,hd3/1TB,hd4/1TB,HD5/4TB

Youtube videos
Flickr Photos
#4475902 - 05/29/19 05:33 AM Re: Mt. Everest - This Is No Way To Climb A Mountain [Re: Haggart]  
Mad Max Offline
survivor
Mad Max  Offline
survivor
Hotshot

NSW, Australia
Well I had my 14 year old daughter with me and she was certainly an active child. My wife doesn't like heights and stayed in town. No after-effects at all as far as I can recall. (shrug). I was 61 at the time.

"You'll never take me alive" said he,
And his ghost may be heard if you pass by that billabong
"Who'll come a Waltzing Matilda with me?"

#4475906 - 05/29/19 06:52 AM Re: Mt. Everest - This Is No Way To Climb A Mountain [Re: Haggart]  
Sluggish Controls Offline
Sluggish Controls  Offline

Hong Kong
A few years back I took a road trip up to the Khunjerab Pass in the Karakoram mountain range between China and Pakistan. Just a tad short of the 5,000 metres-mark (16,400 feet) above sea level. All of us were equipped with oxygen bottles, just in case.
A few mates cranked their bottle wide open, I did not, and ended up with a solid headache. The vista was so unbelievable that I simply ignored the headache.
Braggy-Me then decided to jog the short distance between the Chinese and Pakistani border outposts...

The Pakistanis cheered me and even encouraged me from a distance, while the Chinese were much less amiable. Anyway, I ran some 30 secs, and put on 40 years instantly.
Somehow managed to walk back to the Chinese outpost, got scolded hard (not for my foolishness but for not respecting the Chinese border regulations, ha!), checked my passport for 20min.
I cranked my oxygen bottle wide open, probably got a 2nd one too.

Felt like I had run a full marathon in 30 secs !!!

Cheers,
Slug

"Major Burns isn't saying much of anything, Sir. I think he's formulating the answer..." - Radar - M*A*S*H
#4475907 - 05/29/19 06:56 AM Re: Mt. Everest - This Is No Way To Climb A Mountain [Re: Haggart]  
WhoCares Offline
WhoCares  Offline

Well, we have some pilots here, and most of the rest of us will have had a seat in a pressurized cabin of a commercial airliner:
Pressurization becomes increasingly necessary at altitudes above 10,000 feet (3,000 m) above sea level to protect crew and passengers from the risk of a number of physiological problems caused by the low outside air pressure above that altitude. For private aircraft operating in the US, crew members are required to use oxygen masks if the cabin altitude stays above 12,500 ft for more than 30 minutes, or if the cabin altitude reaches 14,000 ft at any time. At altitudes above 15,000 ft, passengers are required to be provided oxygen masks as well. On commercial aircraft, the cabin altitude must be maintained at 8,000 feet (2,400 m) or less. Pressurization of the cargo hold is also required to prevent damage to pressure-sensitive goods that might leak, expand, burst or be crushed on re-pressurization.

Granted, you will not have exercised very hard while sitting there, so oxygen need was not particularly high...

And who dies at the mountain usually stays at the mountain. There is often no recovery undertaken, and as there is little to no decay, it's up to the glacier to take care of the bodies.

Last edited by WhoCares; 05/29/19 07:14 AM.
#4475909 - 05/29/19 06:58 AM Re: Mt. Everest - This Is No Way To Climb A Mountain [Re: Haggart]  
Ssnake Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Ssnake  Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Hotshot

Germoney
This Everest thing specifically is a travesty, but hey, free market and all. There is excess money in this world, and vanity, and there can be only one highest mountain, so that's where these people want to go. For Nepal at least I hope that there is a net benefit for the people and their economy, probably not so much for their culture.

#4475910 - 05/29/19 11:19 AM Re: Mt. Everest - This Is No Way To Climb A Mountain [Re: Ssnake]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by Ssnake
This Everest thing specifically is a travesty, but hey, free market and all. There is excess money in this world, and vanity, and there can be only one highest mountain, so that's where these people want to go. For Nepal at least I hope that there is a net benefit for the people and their economy, probably not so much for their culture.

That's easy to say when you live in a country that has one of the largest export-driven economies in the world. Quite frankly, Nepal doesn't have much besides its natural geographic beauty (tourism) in order to make money.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4475918 - 05/29/19 01:04 PM Re: Mt. Everest - This Is No Way To Climb A Mountain [Re: Haggart]  
Ssnake Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Ssnake  Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Hotshot

Germoney
What's wrong about me saying that I hope it's good for them (even though I'm concerned about the side effects that it'll have)?

And where's the connection to the sectorial analysis of national economics, as brief as your remark was?
I'm kinda puzzled here.

Unless, of course, you're saying that the purchasing habits of people all over the world which show an aggregate preference for certain product groups created by people who happen to live within a few hundred kilometer radius around the location of my place of residence somehow disqualifies me to have an opinion?

#4475919 - 05/29/19 01:21 PM Re: Mt. Everest - This Is No Way To Climb A Mountain [Re: Haggart]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
It's long been a tradition to use bodies as landmarks on the climb, usually noted by the clothing they were wearing when they died. IIRC, there's a man that had green boots that was quite the mile marker until a team decided to spend their efforts forgoing a summit and bringing him back down.

And it's not the bodies, it's the piles of oxygen bottles that litter the routes that would cause me to frown.

[edit]

I do find it amusing that folks will make a big deal out of making the top of Everest, but for the sherpas it's just a day job. They probably have hundreds of summits.

Last edited by Dart; 05/29/19 01:23 PM.

The opinions of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

More dumb stuff at http://www.darts-page.com

From Laser:
"The forum is the place where combat (real time) flight simulator fans come to play turn based strategy combat."
#4475924 - 05/29/19 01:30 PM Re: Mt. Everest - This Is No Way To Climb A Mountain [Re: Haggart]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Those sherpas must have incredibly high lung capacities. Probably near superhero levels!

#4475934 - 05/29/19 02:57 PM Re: Mt. Everest - This Is No Way To Climb A Mountain [Re: Haggart]  
ST0RM Offline
ST0RM  Offline

Ten Mile, Tn
Did Disney buy Mt Everest too?

#4475935 - 05/29/19 02:59 PM Re: Mt. Everest - This Is No Way To Climb A Mountain [Re: ST0RM]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by ST0RM
Did Disney buy Mt Everest too?

Not yet but I'm sure it's come up at a recent board meeting. biggrin

#4475936 - 05/29/19 03:03 PM Re: Mt. Everest - This Is No Way To Climb A Mountain [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer
Those sherpas must have incredibly high lung capacities. Probably near superhero levels!

I always imagine some super awesome dude on the summit bragging about the trials and tribulations of the journey, pointing out his special Everest gear, from sunglasses to special GPS tracker, and going on about the physical hardship.....only to have the camera pan to show a sherpa wearing a sweater, wool cap, backpack on his shoulders, and casually smoking a cigarette.

The opinions of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

More dumb stuff at http://www.darts-page.com

From Laser:
"The forum is the place where combat (real time) flight simulator fans come to play turn based strategy combat."
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
RIP Louis Gosset, Jr
by bones. 03/29/24 02:40 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.