Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#4475582 - 05/27/19 06:05 AM people crossing the Xwalk...  
W-Molders Offline
W-Molders  Offline

I.E. Commiefornia ..S.B Count...
Remember back in the day .. kids/teens would HURRY across the crosswalk... I don't care peds have the right away.. back in my day, we HURRIED our asses across the Xwalk when cars were waiting to turn into the lane... now they take their sweet sweet sweet azz time... getting sick of it...

[Signature deleted]
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4475588 - 05/27/19 08:24 AM Re: people crossing the Xwalk... [Re: W-Molders]  
Ssnake Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Ssnake  Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Hotshot

Germoney
I'm not surprised to hear that sentiment from an American, where everything seems to be designed to disincentivize walking. I've been questioned by the police in the US for simply talking a walk. The pedestrian traffic lights (at least in Orlando) are timed ridiculously short (especially for the elderly (not that I've seen any)), the distances are usually substantial, there are practically no bike lanes - in short, it's the total triumph for the car. Now, the one thing that puzzles me is why there are side walks in the first place. If you don't want humans to apply their natural mode of travel, why spend time and money to construct them?

You're impatient, and you want complete stranges to run just so you can drive faster. That's what your post above says. Not the kind of sentiment befitting a motorist, I say. Then again, there's no better combination that road range, drunk driving, and waving hand guns. wink

#4475592 - 05/27/19 10:22 AM Re: people crossing the Xwalk... [Re: W-Molders]  
Sluggish Controls Offline
Sluggish Controls  Offline

Hong Kong
With Ssnake on this one, although not so specifically about North America.

Love driving but will always give priority to pedestrians and cyclists once they have stepped off the sidewalk, not matter how slow, thick and foolish they might be. My "No Rush" mode turns on automatically, and so does my foot applying pressure on the brakes.
Mind you, I may still raise a rude finger - or two, but that's about it.

Cheers,
Slug

"Major Burns isn't saying much of anything, Sir. I think he's formulating the answer..." - Radar - M*A*S*H
#4475595 - 05/27/19 11:49 AM Re: people crossing the Xwalk... [Re: W-Molders]  
Bill_Grant Offline
Hotshot
Bill_Grant  Offline
Hotshot

Dallas, TX
WM is correct.
People HERE in the States tend to IGNORE the crosswalk lights, so they doddle like they are walking to a vaccination center and don't care that they crossed on a RED light
So now because they have violated the Law, we the Drivers have to wait on them. I have no problem when they cross with the Light. That is completely different.

~Bill

In my defense, I was left unsupervised...
#4475600 - 05/27/19 12:28 PM Re: people crossing the Xwalk... [Re: W-Molders]  
Chucky Offline
Veteran
Chucky  Offline
Veteran

UK
Same problem here in the UK. People crossing whenever they like,regardless of the light telling them not to. Of course as drivers/riders we tend not to want to hit a pedestrian crossing the road so they get away with it. I don't remonstrate with them anymore as usually what happens you get abuse and or rude gestures back.

EV's are the Devils matchbox.
#4475602 - 05/27/19 12:59 PM Re: people crossing the Xwalk... [Re: Ssnake]  
Alicatt Offline
Hotshot
Alicatt  Offline
Hotshot

Ice Cold in Alex or Eating in ...
Originally Posted by Ssnake
I'm not surprised to hear that sentiment from an American, where everything seems to be designed to disincentivize walking. I've been questioned by the police in the US for simply talking a walk. The pedestrian traffic lights (at least in Orlando) are timed ridiculously short (especially for the elderly (not that I've seen any)), the distances are usually substantial, there are practically no bike lanes - in short, it's the total triumph for the car. Now, the one thing that puzzles me is why there are side walks in the first place. If you don't want humans to apply their natural mode of travel, why spend time and money to construct them?

You're impatient, and you want complete stranges to run just so you can drive faster. That's what your post above says. Not the kind of sentiment befitting a motorist, I say. Then again, there's no better combination that road range, drunk driving, and waving hand guns. wink

My wife watches a comedy show called Gracie and Frankie (or something like that) staring Jane Fonda and it had a whole episode devoted to the timing of a set of crossing lights saying it was too short for the elderly to cross the road, they had fun with it but it did have that serious point to it.

Sometimes the crossing lights are just in the wrong place and not where it would be natural for a person to cross the road, certainly the ones in Alexandria are in the wrong position for me when I walk to the shops (or even drive), if they had put them on the T junction which is about 75m away it would be much better, with my knees I'm not going to walk an extra 200m just so I can cross at the lights.

Chlanna nan con thigibh a so's gheibh sibh feoil
Sons of the hound come here and get flesh
Clan Cameron
#4475621 - 05/27/19 02:56 PM Re: people crossing the Xwalk... [Re: W-Molders]  
vonBaur Offline
vonBaur  Offline

I was stationed in Alaska from '79-'82. During the incomers briefing they told us that pedestrians DO NOT have the right of way during the winter because it's much harder for a car to stop than a person. They said that if you run over someone, unless that person was in the crosswalk and you blew a traffic light or stop sign the police would just make sure your car was driveable and send you on your way, then write a ticket for the corpse. As a result, most pedestrians were cautious all year long out of habit. There were very few vehicle/pedestrian accidents in Anchorage while I was there.

On the other hand, when I lived in California I witnessed people taking their own sweet time walking across busy streets wherever they wanted, sometimes dragging children with them which teaches the child to disregard safety rules, not caring about traffic or crosswalks because they knew that the driver would always be considered at fault unless multiple witnesses came forward to say that the pedestrian literally jumped out right in front of the car. And that was before cell phones and smart phones: I can't imagine the chaos now. I sometimes wondered why the cities even wasted money painting crosswalks on the streets, because people didn't obey them and the only thing the police cared about was did the car stop even if the pedestrian was jaywalking. Vehicle/pedestrian accidents were commonplace.

Personally, I think Alaska's method is smarter.

SALUTE TO ALL!
#4475627 - 05/27/19 03:06 PM Re: people crossing the Xwalk... [Re: W-Molders]  
KraziKanuK Offline
Veteran
KraziKanuK  Offline
Veteran

Ottawa Canada
What gets me is a person would press the button, the lights would go on and immediately walk out into the crosswalk without even looking for any cars.

Also when in the crosswalk will be looking straight ahead and not looking for cars that might run the crosswalk lights.

There was only 16 squadrons of RAF fighters that used 100 octane during the BoB.
The Fw190A could not fly with the outer cannon removed.
There was no Fw190A-8s flying with the JGs in 1945.
#4475644 - 05/27/19 04:12 PM Re: people crossing the Xwalk... [Re: W-Molders]  
Ssnake Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Ssnake  Offline
Virtual Shiva Beast
Hotshot

Germoney
Obviously you should pay attention, but that goes for everyone. Just like you never see the car that runs you over, you never see the pedestrian you're about to run over until it's too late. Everyone of us makes mistakes. It's not a question of if, only of when. So we should try and be a bit forgiving, both emotionally and with our procedures. In the confrontation between pedestrian and car, the car always wins. As the more powerful participant it's the driver's onus to behave more responsibly. That doesn't mean that pedestrians get a pass to behave like total douches.

Two observations, though. The wait time for pedestrian signals in the US - to the extent that I'm qualified to speak of first hand experiences - is often substantial; it may appear "normal" to you but it doesn't have to be like that, and the question is, whom should it accommodate - those who drive, or those who walk. That's a decision for society, and here there's always the danger of the tyranny of the majority. In the US, walking is for the poor, for dog owners, and joggers - at least that's my impression.
Second, crossing times are dimensioned rather short. I'm reasonably fit and still the crossings in Orlando are wide (often six lanes or more), the cars drive fast, and the flashing lights send a signal to the subconscious that you're too late and that you should hurry to make way. To that I say No. I don't waste time, I'm not loitering, but if the time is barely sufficient for a mid forties man in good health to cross the road at a brisk pace, it is objectively too short for most others. Even in perfectly safe neighborhoods walking is not necessarily a pleasant experience in the US.

#4475645 - 05/27/19 04:22 PM Re: people crossing the Xwalk... [Re: W-Molders]  
NH2112 Offline
Veteran
NH2112  Offline
Veteran

Jackman, ME
I have to agree with W-Molders, Bill Grant, etc. This isn’t about whether the pedestrian crossing signals are long enough for everyone or whether the US disincentivizes pedestrians (I'd say the fact that there are sidewalks everywhere proves we don’t.) What it’s about is people taking their sweet time crossing the street in an un-signaled crosswalk, which most crosswalks are here. Signaled crosswalks are only at intersections with traffic lights, every side street has a crosswalk for it and the thoroughfare it joins. At a previous job I drove through town and went by a high school on my way home. The kids would cross wherever they wanted, shuffling along like they were in leg irons, stopping in the middle of the road to wait for friends, spacing themselves out so one was stepping off the curb as the one ahead was about to step on the opposite curb, etc.

Pedestrians in the crosswalk have the right of way, but the other part of that law, which everyone so conveniently leaves out, is that it’s the pedestrian’s responsibility to ensure it’s safe to cross before stepping off the curb. You don’t get to step off right in front of a car doing the speed limit and get the driver in trouble when he hits you because he can’t stop in 10 feet. Except you do in most cases. There’s a meme about how knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, but wisdom is not putting tomatoes in a fruit salad. Well, pedestrian knowledge is knowing you have the right of way in a crosswalk, but pedestrian wisdom is not risking your life exercising your right of way (which is for pedestrians IN the crosswalk, not WAITING TO STEP INTO the crosswalk.)

Bicyclists? F bicyclists. They’re the most dangerous people on the road. They ride the wrong way, don’t obey traffic signals, blow through intersections regardless of traffic, and if they get hit the motorist’s insurance pays their bills. If it was up to me bicyclists would have to register their bikes just like cars are, have licenses that can have points assessed against them for violations and which also count against their motor vehicle licenses, and carry the same minimum insurance that motorists are required to carry.

Phil

“The biggest problem people have is they don’t think they’re supposed to have problems.” - Hayes Barnard
#4475661 - 05/27/19 05:43 PM Re: people crossing the Xwalk... [Re: W-Molders]  
Haggart Offline
I Fought Diablo
Haggart  Offline
I Fought Diablo
Veteran

The Lone Star State
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

"everything lives by a law, a central balance sustains all"
#4475663 - 05/27/19 06:10 PM Re: people crossing the Xwalk... [Re: W-Molders]  
Crane Hunter Offline
Veteran
Crane Hunter  Offline
Veteran

Master Meme-er
I've noticed that folks have generally gotten lackadaisical pretty much across the board, not just in the pedestrian context.

#4475678 - 05/27/19 07:09 PM Re: people crossing the Xwalk... [Re: NH2112]  
Alicatt Offline
Hotshot
Alicatt  Offline
Hotshot

Ice Cold in Alex or Eating in ...
Originally Posted by NH2112

Bicyclists? F bicyclists. They’re the most dangerous people on the road. They ride the wrong way, don’t obey traffic signals, blow through intersections regardless of traffic, and if they get hit the motorist’s insurance pays their bills. If it was up to me bicyclists would have to register their bikes just like cars are, have licenses that can have points assessed against them for violations and which also count against their motor vehicle licenses, and carry the same minimum insurance that motorists are required to carry.

In a predominantly bicycle orientated country I agree with you, they did try and have licence, registration, and insurance for cyclists here but it never lasted long. When driving along if you spot a cyclist you start to look at and figure out which way they are going to try and commit suicide by car, this goes double if they are wearing lycra.

We have had a few days of sun here and the roads are clogged with ancient cyclists, 20, 30 of them at a time and when you have to get from A to B to get stuff for your work they are a real pain.

I was at the funeral of a neighbour recently, he was one of the lycra crowd, in his 60s and an ex cycle racer, he wanted to cross the road without looking at what was coming towards him and he paid the price.

I have nearly wiped out a few cyclists that have tried to cross from one cycle path to the other without checking its only because I was paying attention and that I have very good brakes on my car that those cyclists are still here.

Chlanna nan con thigibh a so's gheibh sibh feoil
Sons of the hound come here and get flesh
Clan Cameron
#4475681 - 05/27/19 07:27 PM Re: people crossing the Xwalk... [Re: Crane Hunter]  
JimK Offline
Veteran
JimK  Offline
Veteran

Spokane,WA
Originally Posted by Crane Hunter
I've noticed that folks have generally gotten lackadaisical pretty much across the board, not just in the pedestrian context.

So true, went grocery shopping with my wife yesterday and this couple kept getting in our way no matter where we went. Like they were doing on purpose.
We walked to the other side of the store to get away from them. And it was no more then 5 mn and they found us to continue it. We left. Same thing happened
our other store.

Erebus Full Tower:Windows 7 Ult 64bit:Intel� Core� i7
3930K Processor(6x 3.20GHz)32GB[4 GB X8] DDR3-1866:GPU
NVIDIA GeForce GTX Titan 6GB:1.5Kw PSU: 43" Sceptre 4k:
LG Blu-ray burner,: hd1/750GB,hd2/2TB,hd3/1TB,hd4/1TB,HD5/4TB

Youtube videos
Flickr Photos
#4475683 - 05/27/19 07:45 PM Re: people crossing the Xwalk... [Re: JimK]  
Zamzow Offline
Zamzow  Offline

Originally Posted by JimK

So true, went grocery shopping with my wife yesterday and this couple kept getting in our way no matter where we went. Like they were doing on purpose.
We walked to the other side of the store to get away from them. And it was no more then 5 mn and they found us to continue it. We left. Same thing happened
our other store.

My wheelchair bound nursing home dementia patients can negotiate a hall (about the same width of a grocery aisle too), both in terms of moving and "parking" better than people in grocery stores. Of course they're doing it all the time every day...

Shopping carts should have horns!

#4475689 - 05/27/19 08:12 PM Re: people crossing the Xwalk... [Re: Crane Hunter]  
KraziKanuK Offline
Veteran
KraziKanuK  Offline
Veteran

Ottawa Canada

Well cars have all these 'bells and whistles' that automatically replace your SA.

There was only 16 squadrons of RAF fighters that used 100 octane during the BoB.
The Fw190A could not fly with the outer cannon removed.
There was no Fw190A-8s flying with the JGs in 1945.
#4475695 - 05/27/19 09:12 PM Re: people crossing the Xwalk... [Re: W-Molders]  
LB4LB Offline
Still lurking about
LB4LB  Offline
Still lurking about
Hotshot

Detroit Burbs
In Detroit, pedestrians just walk right out into the road. The give you the mean mugging glare daring you not to slow down for them. I am talking on roads like Telegraph Rd. with a speed limit of 45 mph. Peds get hit all the time. There is actually a billboard sign were it is the worst that is for a lawyer who specializes in being hit by a car. 855-car-hit-u. .

https://www.attorneycarlcollinsiii.com/

Last edited by LB4LB; 05/27/19 09:12 PM.
#4475699 - 05/27/19 09:44 PM Re: people crossing the Xwalk... [Re: LB4LB]  
Crane Hunter Offline
Veteran
Crane Hunter  Offline
Veteran

Master Meme-er
Originally Posted by LB4LB
In Detroit, pedestrians just walk right out into the road. The give you the mean mugging glare daring you not to slow down for them. I am talking on roads like Telegraph Rd. with a speed limit of 45 mph. Peds get hit all the time. There is actually a billboard sign were it is the worst that is for a lawyer who specializes in being hit by a car. 855-car-hit-u.

I'd hit the gas and be like:

[Linked Image]

#4475701 - 05/27/19 09:49 PM Re: people crossing the Xwalk... [Re: W-Molders]  
LB4LB Offline
Still lurking about
LB4LB  Offline
Still lurking about
Hotshot

Detroit Burbs
I always just wanted to have a 1974 Grand Fury with a railroad tie for a front bumper. That or a railroad engine cow catcher.

#4475710 - 05/27/19 10:40 PM Re: people crossing the Xwalk... [Re: JimK]  
NH2112 Offline
Veteran
NH2112  Offline
Veteran

Jackman, ME
Originally Posted by JimK

our other store.

My grocery store pet peeve is when a couple is in the freezer section, their cart is blocking 2 or 3 display cases ahead of them while they just stand there like “duuuhhhh” trying to decide which frozen pizza, ice cream, or frozen veggies to get. By the time they’re done the insides of the doors they held open for 3 minutes are frosted over, because apparently they don’t realize you can SEE THROUGH glass while trying to decide. Now *I* can’t see through it, though.

Phil

“The biggest problem people have is they don’t think they’re supposed to have problems.” - Hayes Barnard
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.