#4475438 - 05/25/19 01:12 PM Lest We Forget: The Mission  
F4UDash4 Offline
Veteran
F4UDash4  Offline
Veteran

SC
Lest We Forget: The Mission

Artist Statement
Ever since my early childhood, I’ve been an artist. Fine art. Commercial art. You name it. This project, however, is special. It is my magnum opus… The most challenging from an artistic point of view, but more importantly, the most meaningful to me. I put my heart and soul into this work.

The narrative below describes the overall origins of this sculpture. Bear in mind, however, it is comprised of twelve individual figures. Each figure has its own story and its own meaning. I hope you’ll also take the time to read each of the twelve stories posted under the “Gallery” menu heading.

Here is the background behind this work of art: Of fourteen original members of my original group of Class 42-J P-38 fighter pilots, only two survived six months of combat: Jim Hagenback and me. Much of our survival was due to luck. Years later, we vowed to each other that whoever was left standing would do something to honor the twelve. Lest We Forget: The Mission stemmed from our deep gratitude to the twelve original members of our Group that didn’t survive to live their lives in peace.

At 94, I am the last man standing of my original group. Completing the sculpture in August, 2016 fulfilled my oath to honor my comrades. To my knowledge, I am the only commercial artist to live through combat as a US WWII fighter pilot in the North African theater of operation. Turning to my art, the idea of the sculpture grew out of an intense memory of the quiet bravery of my comrades attending a mission briefing as we recommitted to executing the day’s mission, even while flanked by the memory of our fellow pilots killed in recent combat.

Although the sculpture began as a testament to the twelve pilots in my squadron, the scope of the work has grown. Now the twelve individuals figures are dedicated to the memory of the more than 88,000 U.S. aviators who gave their lives during WWII. I am honored that three former Chairmen of the Joint Chiefs of Staff and a former Senator have endorsed the deep meaning of my sculpture.

Arrangements have been made to loan Lest We Forget: The Mission to the National WWII Museum in New Orleans for exhibition on their 6-acre campus.

The sculpture depicts twelve fighter pilots during a mission briefing. The lighter colored spirits of aviators already killed in action look over the shoulders of those still alive. All are destined to die. Please view the Gallery pages on this website to see images of the life size figures completed in clay.

The figures were cast in bronze and are now on display in Denver. My family and I paid to complete this project. We are hopeful the public will see the value in my work and help us offset the project costs through tax-deductible donations. If you have an interest in helping with this project, please visit our Donate Page.

I invite you to watch the videos on this site to hear about the history and significance of my project.

Thank you for your interest and support,
Major Fredric Arnold (ret.), Artist

Fredric Arnold Obituary

Attached Files standingwithluckycropped-1220x720.jpg
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4475443 - 05/25/19 03:08 PM Re: Lest We Forget: The Mission [Re: F4UDash4]  
Pooch Offline
Hotshot
Pooch  Offline
Hotshot

Orlando, FL
There's a video on the internet with Arnold talking to another 90+ P-38 veteran. The other guy flew in the Pacific late in the war, from the little island of Ie Shima. I wasn't in agreement with Arnold about Hiroshima. He said it was wrong for the U.S. to have dropped the bombs. But, I'm in awe of all of the men, like these, who did what they did in spite of their opinions and politics. I often find myself wondering if I could have been one of them. Could I have withstood the mental torture to see freinds die every day, and yet, again and again, climb back into the cockpit for, yet, another mission? Knowing, of course, that this time it could be me. Only two men left out of a class of 14 after only six months of combat is a rather high attrition rate!
They were different, though. They survived some tough times. Rather then be protected and coddled like present generations, many grew up in hardship. They had to go to work at a very young age to help their famiies through the depression. The ones who grew up in the midwest grew up in poverty, seeing their families move again and again due to the dustbowls. They didn't grow up thinking that they automatically deserved everything. They saw that you got what you needed through perseverance and hard work.
It made them strong. The term "The Greatest Generation" aren't just some vacuous words.
I hope that I have a chance, someday, to see this sculpture.

Last edited by Pooch; 05/25/19 03:15 PM.

"From our orbital vantage point, we observe an earth without borders, full of peace, beauty and magnificence, and we pray that humanity as a whole can imagine a borderless world as we see it, and strive to live as one in peace."
Astronaut William C. McCool RIP, January 29, 2003 - Space Shuttle Columbia

#4475491 - 05/25/19 11:28 PM Re: Lest We Forget: The Mission [Re: F4UDash4]  
No105_Archie Offline
No105_Archie  Offline

Veteran

N. Atlantic east of Canada
Great project. Thanks for posting. I had not heard of this before

Archie Smythe

carpe diem

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Hans Zimmer North American concert tour 2024
by NoFlyBoy. 03/16/24 10:54 PM
Steam Spring Sale.
by RedToo. 03/15/24 09:09 PM
Starship Attempt Three
by F4UDash4. 03/14/24 12:06 PM
This is one cool turbofan model
by Zamzow. 03/14/24 02:41 AM
Map Errors
by F4UDash4. 03/13/24 11:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.