Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#4472115 - 04/27/19 06:04 PM Gunship 2000 - Amiga version  
damson Offline
damson  Offline

Hiding in the bushes
I played the hell out of it back in the early 90. Still fun to play today.

There some more info in video description.

Last edited by damson; 04/27/19 06:22 PM.
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4472783 - 05/03/19 03:18 AM Re: Gunship 2000 - Amiga version [Re: damson]  
IamFritz Offline
IamFritz  Offline

Then came Longbow and LB2 and then helo sims just died.....

Fritz Gunter
iamfritz@hotmail.com
http://www.iamfritz.com <- It's Only Gotten Better

Lenovo Quadcore 3.1 GHZ Proc, 6 GB RAM and NVidia GeForce GT 632 (2 GB Vid RAM) Direct X 11 Windows 7
#4472843 - 05/03/19 04:17 PM Re: Gunship 2000 - Amiga version [Re: damson]  
mdwa Offline
mdwa  Offline

Way over in Perth, Western Aus...
I spent a lot of time in Gunship 2000, but DOS version. Loved Mavericks and Sidewinders on choppers. TOW missiles cool too...

mdwa
#4472850 - 05/03/19 04:53 PM Re: Gunship 2000 - Amiga version [Re: IamFritz]  
Lieste Online sigh
Lieste  Online Sigh

Originally Posted by IamFritz
Then came Longbow and LB2 and then helo sims just died.....

Hind was pretty fun.

#4472851 - 05/03/19 04:57 PM Re: Gunship 2000 - Amiga version [Re: damson]  
Chucky Offline
Veteran
Chucky  Offline
Veteran

UK
Great memories. I was playing the original Gunship (1986) on my ST. Gunship 2000 was a major upgrade and would have been one of a handful of games I bought for my first PC.

Last edited by Chucky; 05/03/19 04:58 PM.

EV's are the Devils matchbox.
#4472854 - 05/03/19 05:34 PM Re: Gunship 2000 - Amiga version [Re: damson]  
Recluse Offline
Mediocrity Above All!
Recluse  Offline
Mediocrity Above All!
Hotshot

Randolph, NJ
LOVED IT... Have tried unsuccessfully to get it running right in DOSBOX.. Always too fast, or if cycles are cranked down too much, a slideshow to fly but the enemies still have Hyperspeed reflexes.

Gunship2000 was the first (and almost ONLY) sim where I really bonded with the AI teammates. Got to know their strengths and weaknesses, enjoyed seeing them progress, get promotions, decorations and mourned their loss. Great mechanic allowing you to pick up your downed pilots in a Blackhawk!! I always kept a BH in reserve in the HEAVY SECTION just in case. GOOD TIMES...perhaps best remembered fondly rather than recreated.

I still have numerous SIM and .REP files.

Back in the day I had a GS2000 Play by Email correspondence with a guy on AOL (!) where we would send each other custom built missions, fly them and provide Debriefs and REPLAY files of our activities or try to outdo each other with scores.

Last edited by Recluse; 05/03/19 05:35 PM.

Long system spec sig follows:

PowerSpec G436
Lian Li ATX 205
MSI Z490 Plus Motherboard
Intel Core i7 10700K 3.8 GHz
32 GB RAM DDR4 1600
Nvidia RTX3070

Windows 10 Professional 64 Bit

Flight Gear:

Cougar Hotas S/N 26453
Thrustmaster RCS Rudder Pedals

#4472878 - 05/03/19 10:45 PM Re: Gunship 2000 - Amiga version [Re: Recluse]  
IamFritz Offline
IamFritz  Offline

Originally Posted by Recluse
LOVED IT... Have tried unsuccessfully to get it running right in DOSBOX.. Always too fast, or if cycles are cranked down too much, a slideshow to fly but the enemies still have Hyperspeed reflexes.

Gunship2000 was the first (and almost ONLY) sim where I really bonded with the AI teammates. Got to know their strengths and weaknesses, enjoyed seeing them progress, get promotions, decorations and mourned their loss. Great mechanic allowing you to pick up your downed pilots in a Blackhawk!! I always kept a BH in reserve in the HEAVY SECTION just in case. GOOD TIMES...perhaps best remembered fondly rather than recreated.

Back in the day I had a GS2000 Play by Email correspondence with a guy on AOL (!) where we would send each other custom built missions, fly them and provide Debriefs and REPLAY files of our activities or try to outdo each other with scores.

All that and more. LB2s playability was incredible. I spent a couple years in the UH-60 just dropping off and picking up troops or prisoners.

But the graphics eventually overpowered the gameplay. Sorry, ya, I'm one of those.

That being said, I LOVED GS2000 when I'd take my heavy section in and hit SAM sites, or SAM heavy targets. Pop this guy up, he attacks, then he drops and then this guy over here pops up and fires.... ad airgasm. Loved loved loved it.

Hated when I'd try to show it to a friend who'd say, "Hey that polygon just polygon'd your polygon."

Fritz Gunter
iamfritz@hotmail.com
http://www.iamfritz.com <- It's Only Gotten Better

Lenovo Quadcore 3.1 GHZ Proc, 6 GB RAM and NVidia GeForce GT 632 (2 GB Vid RAM) Direct X 11 Windows 7
#4472926 - 05/04/19 08:58 AM Re: Gunship 2000 - Amiga version [Re: Recluse]  
damson Offline
damson  Offline

Hiding in the bushes

I recommend setting your cycles at 10000. The briefing wont crash and the gameplay is pretty comparable to playing on a fast 386 CPU back in the day.

I plan to document my playthrough of the Persian Gulf and Central Europe campaigns (when I get the promotion) and later switch to PC version to play the Phillipines and Antarctica. Too bad the Amiga version didn't get the updates - no additional campaign, no support assets, no mission builder and no replays.

Anyway, here's the second mission:

Stay tuned for more wink

The plan is to release each new video on Wednesday and Saturday for now.

#4472970 - 05/04/19 05:12 PM Re: Gunship 2000 - Amiga version [Re: damson]  
damson Offline
damson  Offline

Hiding in the bushes
Next sortie is up:

#4472994 - 05/04/19 10:15 PM Re: Gunship 2000 - Amiga version [Re: damson]  
Recluse Offline
Mediocrity Above All!
Recluse  Offline
Mediocrity Above All!
Hotshot

Randolph, NJ
WOW... I hated infantry more than anything.. They would sling Heaters at you just out of range of the M261's and it would require 2x2 rocket salvos to kill them...

I don't understand how you evaded all those missiles!! For me even when I was at my best, "INCOMING FRONT! INCOMING RIGHT!" was quickly followed by "We're HIT! We're HIT!".

Good job!!

I looked at some of my old Replays and it was really a good walk down memory lane! My game in DOSBOX seemed to always CRASH at some point in the PLAYBACK, though.. I haven't tried actually playing since recent attempts that were just TOO FAST.

You mentioned using 10,000 cycles in the other thread, but that is WAY too fast. I cranked it down to 3000 and was still too fast. Will play with it a little more now that I have the bug again..

As you mentioned in your video summary, the DOS version originally had a MAGIC altitude (I want to say 135 feet AGL) that would allow you to get within Rocket range (2.9 km) of any target without detection. In the patch, they "fixed" this so detection was more variable and my great strategy went out the window...

EDIT: So I flew a training sortie with 3000 cycles and it was actually playable. Interestingly, though, just as with the playback of the REPLAY, when the sound for "GOT PRIMARY!" played, the game crashed with sound looping which required a reboot to fix. Quitting DOSBOX not enough. ERROR MESSAGE in DOSBOX was "DMA SEGBOUND WRAPPING ERROR". Googling for a solution. This was DOSBox 0.74. Maybe an earlier version works better??

Tried it in DOSBOX 0.73 and it worked but instead of GOT PRIMARY voiceover, I got a <Swish Swish Swish> sound ant text for HQ:PRIMARY ACHIEVED. Can't recall if this was sometimes happening. I noticed that my DOSBOX 0.73 CONF had SB1 instead of SB16 as my 0.74 CONF.. so ONE MORE TEST

Haven't tried but looks like this is known:

https://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?t=25841

Also had trouble getting GS2K to recognize my RUDDER axis as ANALOG, but I programmed it and the Collective as DIGITAL so I can use the full COUGAR + Pedals setup..-

Last edited by Recluse; 05/05/19 01:24 AM.

PowerSpec G436
Lian Li ATX 205
32 GB RAM DDR4 1600
Nvidia RTX3070

Flight Gear:

Cougar Hotas S/N 26453

#4473026 - 05/05/19 06:43 AM Re: Gunship 2000 - Amiga version [Re: damson]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
I've become really interested in this sim, thanks for the videos and info.

Just a heads up (since it isn't on GOG yet), the PDF Manual (with link that actually works) can be found here...
https://www.oldgames.sk/en/game/gunship-2000/download/6823/

And an extra text-based Manual can be found here, with PC/Amiga with key-ins...
http://www.lemonamiga.com/games/docs.php?id=758

EDIT: This makes a nice rotor compliment to [F-14] Fleet Defender, IMO (GS2000 being just a little older).

Last edited by MarkG; 05/05/19 06:50 AM.

The rusty wire that holds the cork that keeps the anger in
Gives way and suddenly it’s day again
The sun is in the east
Even though the day is done
Two suns in the sunset, hmph
Could be the human race is run
#4473029 - 05/05/19 08:13 AM Re: Gunship 2000 - Amiga version [Re: damson]  
Vince H Offline
Vince H  Offline

Columbus, OH by way of Aiken, ...
My "Fav" was the Cobra. Hands down. Thanks for this!

#4473036 - 05/05/19 10:02 AM Re: Gunship 2000 - Amiga version [Re: Recluse]  
damson Offline
damson  Offline

Hiding in the bushes
WOW... I hated infantry more than anything.. They would sling Heaters at you just out of range of the M261's and it would require 2x2 rocket salvos to kill them...

I don't understand how you evaded all those missiles!! For me even when I was at my best, "INCOMING FRONT! INCOMING RIGHT!" was quickly followed by "We're HIT! We're HIT!".

Good job!!

I looked at some of my old Replays and it was really a good walk down memory lane! My game in DOSBOX seemed to always CRASH at some point in the PLAYBACK, though.. I haven't tried actually playing since recent attempts that were just TOO FAST.

You mentioned using 10,000 cycles in the other thread, but that is WAY too fast. I cranked it down to 3000 and was still too fast. Will play with it a little more now that I have the bug again..

As you mentioned in your video summary, the DOS version originally had a MAGIC altitude (I want to say 135 feet AGL) that would allow you to get within Rocket range (2.9 km) of any target without detection. In the patch, they "fixed" this so detection was more variable and my great strategy went out the window...

EDIT: So I flew a training sortie with 3000 cycles and it was actually playable. Interestingly, though, just as with the playback of the REPLAY, when the sound for "GOT PRIMARY!" played, the game crashed with sound looping which required a reboot to fix. Quitting DOSBOX not enough. ERROR MESSAGE in DOSBOX was "DMA SEGBOUND WRAPPING ERROR". Googling for a solution. This was DOSBox 0.74. Maybe an earlier version works better??

Tried it in DOSBOX 0.73 and it worked but instead of GOT PRIMARY voiceover, I got a <Swish Swish Swish> sound ant text for HQ:PRIMARY ACHIEVED. Can't recall if this was sometimes happening. I noticed that my DOSBOX 0.73 CONF had SB1 instead of SB16 as my 0.74 CONF.. so ONE MORE TEST

Haven't tried but looks like this is known:

https://www.vogons.org/viewtopic.php?t=25841

Also had trouble getting GS2K to recognize my RUDDER axis as ANALOG, but I programmed it and the Collective as DIGITAL so I can use the full COUGAR + Pedals setup..-

Hey Recluse, which version are you running? You can check it by entering the SETUP.EXE, it's in the upper right corner. I had no problems with 469.08 (with Islands & Ice Scenario Disk). The only problem I had was I got crash in the briefing when trying to check my objectives (when you press on the papers and the camera pans down), but I found that setting the cycles to not more than 10000 fixes that. I think I used DOSBox 0.74 for that but not 100% sure, the guy from that forum noted that going to DOSBox 0.73 fixed the issue for him. Note that the patch linked in that forum will update the game to 469.085 - the same version you will get with the CD-ROM release.

Regarding the controls - vanilla DOSBox can only recognize one USB controller AFAIK. If you have one joytsick and separate rudder pedals it will not see its axis. If that's the case you can combine the controls as one "device" with external software (ppjoy?) so DOSBox would see it as one controller and then set up the axis in DOSBox mapper accordingly. Or maybe there's custom DOSBox build that accepts several controlers? Can't say, didn't use them but you can google for "DAUM DOSBox".

#4473037 - 05/05/19 10:09 AM Re: Gunship 2000 - Amiga version [Re: MarkG]  
damson Offline
damson  Offline

Hiding in the bushes
Originally Posted by MarkG

Just a heads up (since it isn't on GOG yet), the PDF Manual (with link that actually works) can be found here...

EDIT: This makes a nice rotor compliment to [F-14] Fleet Defender, IMO (GS2000 being just a little older).

Here's the manual for Islands & Ice scenario disk:
http://retroisle.com/ExtraFiles/Gunship_2000_-_Islands_and_Ice_-_Manual_-_PC.pdf

#4473038 - 05/05/19 10:20 AM Re: Gunship 2000 - Amiga version [Re: damson]  
damson Offline
damson  Offline

Hiding in the bushes
Also, if you want to play Amiga version as in my vid you can use pre-built custom WinUAE build with Gunship and Gunship 2000 ECS and AGA version from here:

https://thecompany.pl/gra/Gunship+2000

The link is marked with:

Pobierz: [10.59 MB] [1st link with EXE] [second link with protected RAR archive - password "tc"]

That's single EXE file, don't worry, it has no viruses, at least to my knowledge.

While in game you can press F12 to open WinUAE settings window, you can save your progress ("Extras" -> Save) - it uses savestate which dumps all RAM and CPU registers so you can save whenever you want in game, I only use it between the missions, so no cheating for me wink

There's also manual linked

GS2000: https://thecompany.pl/manual/265_Gunship_2000-manual.pdf

Gunship: https://thecompany.pl/manual/264_gunship-manual.pdf

Note that AGA version looks better (256 colors instead of 32) but has a game breaking bug with weapons aiming in flight and campaign apparently.

#4473062 - 05/05/19 02:28 PM Re: Gunship 2000 - Amiga version [Re: damson]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Originally Posted by damson

Here's the manual for Islands & Ice scenario disk:
http://retroisle.com/ExtraFiles/Gunship_2000_-_Islands_and_Ice_-_Manual_-_PC.pdf

I needed that, thanks. cheers

The rusty wire that holds the cork that keeps the anger in
Gives way and suddenly it’s day again
The sun is in the east
Even though the day is done
Two suns in the sunset, hmph
Could be the human race is run
#4473070 - 05/05/19 03:24 PM Re: Gunship 2000 - Amiga version [Re: damson]  
Recluse Offline
Mediocrity Above All!
Recluse  Offline
Mediocrity Above All!
Hotshot

Randolph, NJ

Hey Recluse, which version are you running? You can check it by entering the SETUP.EXE, it's in the upper right corner. I had no problems with 469.08 (with Islands & Ice Scenario Disk). The only problem I had was I got crash in the briefing when trying to check my objectives (when you press on the papers and the camera pans down), but I found that setting the cycles to not more than 10000 fixes that. I think I used DOSBox 0.74 for that but not 100% sure, the guy from that forum noted that going to DOSBox 0.73 fixed the issue for him. Note that the patch linked in that forum will update the game to 469.085 - the same version you will get with the CD-ROM release.

Regarding the controls - vanilla DOSBox can only recognize one USB controller AFAIK. If you have one joytsick and separate rudder pedals it will not see its axis. If that's the case you can combine the controls as one "device" with external software (ppjoy?) so DOSBox would see it as one controller and then set up the axis in DOSBox mapper accordingly. Or maybe there's custom DOSBox build that accepts several controlers? Can't say, didn't use them but you can google for "DAUM DOSBox".

I am running the latest patched I&I version 429.085

I seem to recall when I had Janes Apache Longbow (DOS) running under DOSBOX, it recognized the Rudders just fine. I created a COUGAR profile with DIGITAL axes for Collective and Rudder rather than messing with the ANALOG axes and everything is working pretty well control-wise

I think I still have my ORIGINAL install copied over from my old 286, but I think THIS install is from some Abandonware download since my original boxes have 5.25" floppies smile

Attached Files gs2kboxes.jpg
Last edited by Recluse; 05/05/19 03:28 PM.

PowerSpec G436
Lian Li ATX 205
32 GB RAM DDR4 1600
Nvidia RTX3070

Flight Gear:

Cougar Hotas S/N 26453

#4473079 - 05/05/19 04:10 PM Re: Gunship 2000 - Amiga version [Re: Recluse]  
damson Offline
damson  Offline

Hiding in the bushes

I am running the latest patched I&I version 429.085

I seem to recall when I had Janes Apache Longbow (DOS) running under DOSBOX, it recognized the Rudders just fine. I created a COUGAR profile with DIGITAL axes for Collective and Rudder rather than messing with the ANALOG axes and everything is working pretty well control-wise

I think I still have my ORIGINAL install copied over from my old 286, but I think THIS install is from some Abandonware download since my original boxes have 5.25" floppies smile

Nice, I have 3,5" floppy version (4 disks), though I'm not even sure if the floppies still work. I could chekc them since I still have an old 386 with floppy drive in the basement collecting dust. My newest PC at home doesn't sport even a DVD drive not to mention a floppy drive wink You can still buy one on USB though. The version I run is also probably from some abandonware site (I suspect the Home of the Underdogs when it still provided downloads). After checking it out today after so long I have to say missile avoidance is a bit harder in PC version.

I needed that, thanks. cheers

Glad I could help wink

Last edited by damson; 05/05/19 04:12 PM.
#4473081 - 05/05/19 04:20 PM Re: Gunship 2000 - Amiga version [Re: damson]  
Recluse Offline
Mediocrity Above All!
Recluse  Offline
Mediocrity Above All!
Hotshot

Randolph, NJ
If you want I could provide you a working PC Install. My current copy was copied over from (however I did it) on my old XP machine. Good Old DOS.. NO REGISTRY entries.

I also found I have zip files with the 2 I&I disk contents and probably also have zips of the original GS2000 disks SOMEWHERE. I also have the very handy GS2KED program which allows you to edit your roster, changing ranks, decorations, experience etc.. for all pilots. A bit more full featured than using the DRAWER to recover after a bad dream smile

I used it routinely when I wanted to start a new squad but didn't want to go through the process of flying SINGLE missions to rank up so I could get command. I always found the SINGLE missions hardest esp since PRIMARY and SECONDARY were usually incredibly far apart... I also have a PDF with just the I&I GPS codes...

PowerSpec G436
Lian Li ATX 205
32 GB RAM DDR4 1600
Nvidia RTX3070

Flight Gear:

Cougar Hotas S/N 26453

#4473082 - 05/05/19 04:42 PM Re: Gunship 2000 - Amiga version [Re: damson]  
damson Offline
damson  Offline

Hiding in the bushes
Thanks for the offer Recluse but I have a working PC version. That GS2KED program might come in handy though.

Instead of using that drawer I backed up the ROSTER.DAT file. wink

Edit: Just grabbed that roster edit utility from the web, thanks for the info.

Last edited by damson; 05/05/19 04:58 PM.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.