Hop To
#4469775 - 04/10/19 01:37 PM PC Hardware/Software  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
I thought I would start a new thread for hardware and software issues or discussion, and get it out of the ship names thread.

Originally Posted by JohnnyChemo
I forgot I was going to look that up and tell you -
here's where mine are:
C:\Users\Rick\AppData\Local\Frontier Developments\Elite Dangerous\Options\Bindings

Thanks JC.

I'm running in to two issues with the new box.

One is, after installing Elite without issue, any attempt to install a second game results in a Steam disk write error and it won't install. Anyone run in to this before?

The second is Elite doesn't recognize my X Box controller. Windows does it seems. But not Elite. All I did before was plug it in. But not this time.

On the positive side, the new machine works very well with Elite. Runs like butter as before, but with more detail. This could be down to settings, but I think I'm running it more or less the same. For example the galaxy map is more crisp and detailed.

Target ships are more detailed as well. I was attacking a Courier last night and I was struck by how well the details of it were jumping out. Like all of the blue lighting in and around the cockpit. It certainly didn't stand out like this before for me.

Another nice improvement with this new machine is superior sound quality. Not only do I seem to be hearing more and different sounds now, it's all more distinct. Using the on-board sound. Really nice and didn't expect anything new here.

For reference, this is the new box

MSI B450 A-Pro
Ryzen 5 2600 @ 3.6 Ghz (will bump this to 3.8/3.9 with a new cooler)
Kingston Hyper X Fury DDR4 3000 16GB (@3200)
Samsung 860 500 GB SSD
Seagate Barracuda 2 TB mechanical
MSI GTX 1660 Ti Ventus
Seasonic 500w PSU
Win 10

No, now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!
#4469865 - 04/10/19 09:43 PM Re: PC Hardware/Software [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
OK, another question, this one about Inara, and linking it through Frontier. I did this, how do I import data? I did the Import Frontier Data, which seems appropriate, and it said it was successful, but some stuff didn't update. Things like combat rank for example aren't current, yet credits is. Is there more I need to do? Do I need to be logged in to the game when I use that function? And pursuant to the OP, I seemed to have fixed the Steam disk write error by ticking the box to run Steam as administrator.

Also in the same vein, the X Box controller now works, when it didn't yesterday. Not sure how I fixed that one smile

#4469920 - 04/11/19 01:51 AM Re: PC Hardware/Software [Re: DBond]  
WH_Boomer Offline
WH_Boomer  Offline

Gulf Coast
INARA should be gathering updated info every time you log into Elite. I have noticed sometimes the update is a bit slow, particularly on materials, but its usually correct within 15 minutes or so without any additional input from me.

Have you checked the INARA forum?

~S~
WH_Boomer
#4469947 - 04/11/19 11:10 AM Re: PC Hardware/Software [Re: DBond]  
Recluse Offline
Mediocrity Above All!
Recluse  Offline
Mediocrity Above All!
Hotshot

Randolph, NJ
I do the auto INARA updates through ED MARKET CONNECTOR that I start every time I play ELITE. Otherwise, you can manually upload your logs from the COMMANDER SCREEN ->IMPORT JOURNAL. Your locally stored JOURNAL contains your Flight Log, stats, inventory etc.. as far as I know. Not exactly sure what the FRONTIER DATA contains. Been updating EDSM through ED Market Connector as well lately..

BTW, when I sold my Exploration data, I went to a station owned by the INARA NEXUS minor faction to show some love..

Inara Nexus Page

I had always meant to go do some missions for Inara Nexus, but never got around to it. Hope selling the Exploration data helped them out.

Last edited by Recluse; 04/11/19 11:12 AM.

Long system spec sig follows:

PowerSpec G436
Lian Li ATX 205
MSI Z490 Plus Motherboard
Intel Core i7 10700K 3.8 GHz
32 GB RAM DDR4 1600
Nvidia RTX3070

Windows 10 Professional 64 Bit

Flight Gear:

Cougar Hotas S/N 26453
Thrustmaster RCS Rudder Pedals

#4469950 - 04/11/19 11:26 AM Re: PC Hardware/Software [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
I was using EDMC as well, but after the reinstall I was looking to check out alternatives.

I'll probably just reinstall EDMC.

Some stuff is updating, other stuff is not using the Frontier link. I have yet to do it while I am still in-game, so I will try that before writing it off.

#4469956 - 04/11/19 11:52 AM Re: PC Hardware/Software [Re: DBond]  
JohnnyChemo Offline
JohnnyChemo  Offline

Buffalo, NY
I've noticed rep synching in particular is quite dodgy. I use EDMC as part of my pre-game startup routine and even still the rep on Inara is not accurate with the in game rep. I've also uploaded journals to see if it made a difference and it does not, so it doesn't surprise me that other things are not quite right either.

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.
This is known as "bad luck.”
-Robert Heinlein
#4469984 - 04/11/19 04:16 PM Re: PC Hardware/Software [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
This is more than the delay that Elite sometimes has in updating things. When I click the Import Frontier data, my credits are instantly updated, but combat rank (as an example) is stuck since before my PC died last week.

I'll reinstall EDMC, if nothing else I like the click-to-Coriolis function, so might as well.

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
OJ Simpson Dead at 76
by bones. 04/11/24 03:02 PM
They wokefied tomb raider !!
by Blade_RJ. 04/10/24 03:09 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.