Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4466483 - 03/19/19 05:15 PM More Battletech mayhem with flying parts!  
Nixer Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Nixer  Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran

Living with the Trees
Back playing some the last few days, finally all caught up on my homework.

After a few easy ones for practice, I decided to risk a 5 skull, +25 difficulty again. Here's the pre-mission screen. I am in my Atlas II with a Gauss, small AC 5 auto-cannon and LRM20 launcher. My sluggers are in an Atlas and Crab with both having dual AC 20 auto-cannons. I have trusty Glitch in her Crab LRM mech.

[Linked Image]

We drop in and I move out ahead to scout the base and try and draw the bad guys out. Ahh, here comes our first customer.

[Linked Image]

Glitch in the fire support Crab drops 50 LRM's on that Atlas and I fire a full salvo on it...and here come his friends. One Stalker is not pictured here, the bad guys currently consist of an Atlas, a Highlander and two Stalkers. ALL Elite assault mechs.

[Linked Image]

I have pulled back as I took acouple of serious hits. Behemoth moves up and unloads both AC 20's at close range and we are treated to a flying Highlander head demonstration! "There can only be ONE!" couldn't resist

[Linked Image]

We still have a serious fight on our hands with that Atlas and two Stalkers. We are getting the upper hand, kill one more and then we get news from orbit:

[Linked Image]

Great, Nix and Behemoth have been taking serious damage from these three remaining Elite guys. We get two of them and here comes the first Elite Vanguard reinforcement way over on the other side of the base. Nix jumps up on a rock and fires a LONG salvo with all weapons. That's two head kills. Longest one I ever made, didn't even need the LRM's.

[Linked Image]

We kill the last Stalker in close then both Nix and Behemoth have to do some serious scrambling for position as they are both shot up. A serious slugfest ensues. It was touch and go for awhile but our maneuvering and firepower finally prevail with Medusa in his Crab delivering the coup de grace, using his last two shots of AC 20 ammo. Glitch in the fire support had been out of LRM's for a few turns and was decoying/melee attacking.

[Linked Image]

We did good. We took some damage, particularly me. Not much in the way of mod salvage, but we got some assault mechs...and nobody injured or killed. We faced EIGHT Elite assault mechs!

[Linked Image]

Thanks for watching smile

Attached Files Brief.jpgFirst Contact.jpgLineUp_1.jpgHeadShot.jpgBad News.jpgLonggHeadShotNix.jpgHeadShot3.jpgEndReport.jpg

Censored

Look for me on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook or Tic Toc...or anywhere you may frequent, besides SimHq, on the Global Scam Net. Aka, the internet.
I am not there, never have been or ever will be, but the fruitless search may be more gratifying then the "content" you might otherwise be exposed to.

"There's a sucker born every minute."
Phineas Taylor Barnum

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4466523 - 03/19/19 09:08 PM Re: More Battletech mayhem with flying parts! [Re: Nixer]  
JohnnyChemo Offline
JohnnyChemo  Offline

Buffalo, NY
Nice!

Now I gotta fire it up and give it another go around. I forgot how much I enjoyed that game!!

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.
This is known as "bad luck.”
-Robert Heinlein
#4466644 - 03/20/19 02:28 PM Re: More Battletech mayhem with flying parts! [Re: Nixer]  
Nixer Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Nixer  Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran

Living with the Trees
I wish I could have gotten more screen shots but I was more worried about keeping everyone alive and killin bad guys...as usual.

Those Elite Assault bad guys deal serious damage and you can go from being in good shape to OMG, WTF then a statistic real quickly if you screw up.

I hardly ever use Melee attacks anymore. It leaves my attacker open to serious counter-fire and/or flanking counter-fire. I am pretty sure those 5 skull +27's floating around out there will have TWO waves of reinforcements...totaling TWELVE Elite Assault Mechs. All that cumulative damage leaves you in bad shape for that third wave. Nix's "shoot and pray" long head shot kill on the lead guy in the reinforcements helped a lot. It gave me maneuver space and time.

Gotta show you how long it was. Nix is blue, target red. Like I said The Gauss and the AC 5 made the kill, the LRM's weren't even needed.

[Linked Image]

Attached Files Long_Diagram.jpg

Censored

Look for me on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook or Tic Toc...or anywhere you may frequent, besides SimHq, on the Global Scam Net. Aka, the internet.
I am not there, never have been or ever will be, but the fruitless search may be more gratifying then the "content" you might otherwise be exposed to.

Phineas Taylor Barnum

#4466757 - 03/21/19 12:34 AM Re: More Battletech mayhem with flying parts! [Re: Nixer]  
JohnnyChemo Offline
JohnnyChemo  Offline

Buffalo, NY
Wow, that's some serious sniping!
I finished the campaign but never went much farther after that - maybe 2-3 missions tops, not too many 5 skull either IIRC.

Nice going, sounds like it was hairy!

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.
This is known as "bad luck.”
-Robert Heinlein
#4467753 - 03/27/19 04:06 PM Re: More Battletech mayhem with flying parts! [Re: Nixer]  
Nixer Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Nixer  Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran

Living with the Trees
Well, I have now done two 5 skull +27 missions and we are all still alive and intact. The first was very easy for a 5 skull difficulty mission, the second, which I will show here, not as easy.

First off, Glitch in my LRM support King Crab has been running out of missiles lately. So I have reduced her armor a tad (legs) and messed with the cooling a bit and was able to add another 240 LRM's. She now has an additional 240 rounds, almost 1,000 missiles total!

[Linked Image]

I have accepted a contract to find and destroy two Elite Pirate Assault mech lances. It should be interesting.

[Linked Image]

Here's my A Team ready for action:

[Linked Image]

We drop in and here's the plan. Nix up the middle to draw out the bad guys while the rest of the lance goes left for that tree line and cover. Glitch will find a defilade spot along the way to rain LRM's from. Kill zone should be in the vicinity of the red X IF all goes as planned. Nice big bowl shaped valley and I hope to have height advantage most of the engagement.

[Linked Image]

We've been busy. Medusa is out in front dealing and taking damage and pops a Stalker. Nix and Glitch in overwatch, Behemoth on Medusa's left.

[Linked Image]

Here come's TROUBLE!

[Linked Image]

The troublesome Atlas unloads on Medusa and, Glitch and Nix go after the Atlas from overwatch. Nix for the a head shot!

[Linked Image]

No joy for Nix. Now Medusa's in trouble and down a weapon. He's "advancing to the rear".

[Linked Image]

No sweat though. The reinforcements are down and we easily deal with the last two units, a tracked vehicle stuck up in the hills and one last mech. Glitch rains hell on that mech. It blew up real good!

[Linked Image]

We did good. Medusa lost an arm and a valuable AC 20 +++, but I had a few in inventory and got two more in salvage. No wonder those elite guys do so much damage.

[Linked Image]

Again, sorry for not having more in action screen shots, but it gets hectic at times. This +27 mission only had 6 elite assault mechs and two vehicles. Two more mechs instead of the vehicles would have made it harder. As it was I almost lost Medusa, If that had happened with 3 or 4 Elite assault mechs against my damaged remaining three...well it would have been a close run thing at best.

Attached Files Glitch_refit.jpgMis_Select2.jpgA_team.jpgTurn1_decision.jpgStalker Down_Med.jpgAtlas Advances.jpgAtlas_headAim.jpgMed_badShape.jpgCoupdeGrace.jpgReport.jpg
Last edited by Nixer; 03/27/19 04:11 PM.

Censored

Phineas Taylor Barnum

#4468048 - 03/29/19 03:17 PM Re: More Battletech mayhem with flying parts! [Re: Nixer]  
Wallimiyama Offline
Wallimiyama  Offline

Just south of the North Pole (...
Hey Nixer... I'm enjoying your narratives!

Wally
-Are we havin' fun yet?
#4468051 - 03/29/19 04:14 PM Re: More Battletech mayhem with flying parts! [Re: Nixer]  
Nixer Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Nixer  Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran

Living with the Trees
Thanks Wally. Fun to do most of the time too.

Censored

Phineas Taylor Barnum

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.