Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#4467034 - 03/22/19 04:02 PM I need an intervention  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
I'm a mess. See, here's the thing. I have too many ships. I do. And it's not even that many. It's eleven. I have eleven ships currently. And it's too many. Why?

Cause none of them are done really. Engineering is a rabbit hole.

OK, so maybe the Orca and the DBX are where I want them. But the other nine? All partially baked.

Part of me wants to sell all but four of them. But the other part says no. Ships are like the thing that keeps me going (hey double entendre!). But when I look at them I see everything is partially done, or I chose an upgrade that I don't want any more. Or I have things I was experimenting on and they weren't what I was looking for or they had a knock-on effect on something else.

Everything seems to be G4.25 ya know? Most of the way there. If I had only stuck with a few good ships they would all be done.

It's led to a new condition.... moduleswapitis. My Courier is mothballed because I took everything out of it and threw it in the iEagle just so I could see how fast I can go. The internals were taken out of the Python, put in the Krait, and then put in the Python again. It's madness. It's a jumble that makes my head swim

And why can't we have a better module screen? Like one where you can sort ships and modules, and drag and drop 'em? That would be so nice.

Just thermally venting here, and it's self-inflicted anyway. But the scattershot approach is doing me in.

Just as an exercise, I'm going to roleplay a FCO ( Fleet Curtailment Officer )

My fleet as it stands

iCourier
iEagle
Vulture
Keelback
AspX
DBX
FDL
Python
Krait II
Orca
Anaconda

What would I sell?

iEagle could go. I like the Courier better. Not as fast or agile, but better in every other way. Keelback could go, but I'm fond of it. It has one role, planetary materials gathering in my home system.

Vulture could go. I never fly it any more. Love the ship, rarely take it out.

Anaconda? Gonna need it for something!

DBX or AspX? No can't do it. Same with the Python. FDL has too much time in it to get rid or it. Orca? Too much love.

Krait? There's a possibility. It's a good ship, but as the most recent acquisition it has only added to my woes.

So I could possibly trim it by four, Krait, Vulture, iEagle and Keelback. But that doesn't actually solve anything really. I'll have fewer ships, but none of the remaining ones are any closer to being done as a result. And by disembiggening my fleet I will have even more module swapping to do. As it stands, everything has a role, and I can just jump in it and go. It's already configured for the thing I want to do. That's why I did this in the first place. I gotta work this out. Or find peace despite it all smile

No, now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!
#4467036 - 03/22/19 04:09 PM Re: I need an intervention [Re: DBond]  
DM Online content
DM  Online Content

Prague
So the way I'm playing it, is that I use my current ship for anything I decide to do. I know different ships have different strengths etc, but I remember playing the old 1984 Elite and subsequent Fronitier, only one ship allowed at a time there. So I make do, make decisions, compromise, make that one ship my home, for good or for bad. It's just the way I like to play smile

I think, for me, having too many ships would be a drag on my motivation actually.

However, I DO keep all my old ships. wink because. You know. Reasons.

(Actually I'd hate to lose my DB, it's my favourite looking ship so far.)

Last edited by DM; 03/22/19 04:10 PM.

"They might look the same, but they don't taste the same."
#4467038 - 03/22/19 04:15 PM Re: I need an intervention [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
There is wisdom in your words. Perhaps simplicity is the key. But I also fear regret smile

#4467050 - 03/22/19 05:11 PM Re: I need an intervention [Re: DBond]  
Bohemond Offline
Bohemond  Offline

Albuquerque, NM
Sold my Challenger a few weeks back. Once I got the Krait, she sat alone and forlorn in the hanger. Winded up stripping it of engineered modules and kicked her to the curb. Now my Krait sits sad in the hanger, the ‘vette has replaced it for the combat role. Doubt I’ll sell it anytime soon, tho. May repurpose it to a miner. My fleet sits at 4. I keep looking for a new one to buy, just nothing out there that tickles my fancy right now. First world problems, neh?

#4467080 - 03/22/19 06:45 PM Re: I need an intervention [Re: DBond]  
WingNuts01 Offline
WingNuts01  Offline

Huntington Beach, CA
I too rarely sell my acquisitions. My fleet consists of;
Imperial Courier (Just wanted to see how fast I could make it)
Asp Explorer ('Taxi with Legs' what I use to get around the bubble)
Vulture ('Nice Hooters' well it does have to large guns,my second ship bought just couldn't sell it)
Chieftain ('Ribbit-Ribbit' my previous combat ship. It inherited most of my old FAS modules)
Krait MKII ("Roach Coach' Thargoid killer it sits in storage about 800 Ly out)
Krait MKII ('Mining for $$' yes my miner good view and maneuverability)
Krait MKII ('Mr Skittles primary combat ship)
Krait MKII ('Bubble Jumper' running around the bubble. It holds more that the Asp and does 51 Ly jumps)
Python ('Opps My Bad' my old combat ship now used for freight. Still has the combat shields and weapons though. Was always too quick on the trigger, thus the name)
Phantom ('Lone Ranger of Uber' most recient build started as an experiment jumps 62.25 Ly. It led me to take a trip)

I haven't sold some because I'm using them for module storage. If I do sell it would be the Asp Explorer, Vulture, Krait Roach coach and Krait Bubble Jumper. I have about 85 modules in storage and not willing to give up all those modded modules on those builds.

Yes I do like the Krait MKII. Once modded up it fits my play style as of now and I've been blessed with a large bank balance. I do not favor large ships. I tried the Anaconda, modded the drives, power plant and fsd, Took it out to play with and just did not care for handling. Just my play style I guess.

Wingy

i5-2500K @4.3gh
Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
16gb Mushkin PC3 1600
EVGA 760 4gb DDR5 2768 KR
CoolerMaster 922 Mesh 3x200mm, 2x140mm fans
CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO
WD Caviar BLK 500gb SATA 6gb
WD Caviar BLK 1TB SATA 6gb
Intel 730 Series 480GB SATA 6gb
OCZ ZX-850 Gold
Lite-On DVD Burner
27" Samsung 2770FH
Warthog #11118 Woot!!!
Sennheiser 360 Headphones
#4467081 - 03/22/19 06:46 PM Re: I need an intervention [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
ooops, WIngy got one in there @ Bo -- You're in sort of the same situation with only 4. I noticed on Inara that you have a really high value on your stored modules. Is that from engineering ships and then selling them but collecting the modules?

Selling them doesn't fix anything. It would however make moving to a new system easier lol.

And then I think, whatever I sell, I can't just get rid of the modules, so I'd have this vast collection of partially engineered modules to wade through all of the time.

I dug this hole. I need clarity smile

#4467082 - 03/22/19 06:50 PM Re: I need an intervention [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Thanks for the reply Wingy. You have just as many ships, even if they're mostly Kraits.

I dunno, what I'll do. You know what would fix it? If I could strip my modules of engineering and get the mats back. That would do it.

#4467084 - 03/22/19 07:04 PM Re: I need an intervention [Re: DBond]  
WingNuts01 Offline
WingNuts01  Offline

Huntington Beach, CA
Originally Posted by DBond
ooops, WIngy got one in there @ Bo -- You're in sort of the same situation with only 4. I noticed on Inara that you have a really high value on your stored modules. Is that from engineering ships and then selling them but collecting the modules?

Selling them doesn't fix anything. It would however make moving to a new system easier lol.

And then I think, whatever I sell, I can't just get rid of the modules, so I'd have this vast collection of partially engineered modules to wade through all of the time.

I dug this hole. I need clarity smile

Yes all of those stored modules have been modded. They include the a rated and modded modules of the Anaconda and were pretty expensive. I guess the way I see it is if I don't need the money why sell'em. I hate to give up the materials I used to mod them, YES getting the materials back would cut my module storage in half!

i5-2500K @4.3gh
Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
16gb Mushkin PC3 1600
OCZ ZX-850 Gold
Lite-On DVD Burner
27" Samsung 2770FH
Warthog #11118 Woot!!!
#4467085 - 03/22/19 07:14 PM Re: I need an intervention [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
That was directed at Bo. Your stuff is hidden. You have to choose to share it in the privacy settings (not a request, do your own thing). I can only see your ships, ranks and superpower rep

#4467093 - 03/22/19 08:17 PM Re: I need an intervention [Re: DBond]  
WingNuts01 Offline
WingNuts01  Offline

Huntington Beach, CA
OK I set it to shared now. I didn't know that.

i5-2500K @4.3gh
Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
16gb Mushkin PC3 1600
OCZ ZX-850 Gold
Lite-On DVD Burner
27" Samsung 2770FH
Warthog #11118 Woot!!!
#4467106 - 03/22/19 09:15 PM Re: I need an intervention [Re: WingNuts01]  
Bohemond Offline
Bohemond  Offline

Albuquerque, NM
I’d NEVER sell a engineered module. Too much ass-ache to get the mats and not really get a good return on em when you sell. Some of the stored modules are from sold ships and some from just trying differing theories and experiments with engineering. Never know when you might wish you had a G5 classD FSD!

I’d guess quite a lot of the value in the stored modules derive from the several Prismatic Shields I stocked up on. Only have one actually mounted ( on the ‘vette of course). They set me back about 450 million.

Last edited by Bohemond; 03/22/19 09:18 PM. Reason: Added comment
#4467167 - 03/23/19 12:33 PM Re: I need an intervention [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
And that's about what your modules are worth. I went through and pruned my module collection last night. Got rid of so much that I was storing that I can easily buy any time, so got rid of a lot. And then put a bunch back in when I sold both the iEagle and the Vulture. That really didn't do anything about my issue, but did have a psychological effect. Feels better somehow.

I also set the Courier back up, with the Eagle gone, and flew it on an Empire rank-up mission. It needs work though. They all need work! smile Have you guys ever had issues with ships you've sold not being removed from your fleet on Inara? The T-9 I sold a year ago and the iEagle I just sold both still appear. How can I remove them?

Nevermind, found the remove ship function

I can see your stuff now Wingnuts, thanks.

#4467373 - 03/25/19 12:44 PM Re: I need an intervention [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
And then there were eight. Sold the Keelback, meaning my fleet has been disembiggened by 28% in the past few days.

I took old Stump Jumper out for a planetary landing to gather raw mats, since I have been burning through them with engineering and synthesis. She had a fighter and SRV on board. Perfectly suited for the mission. However, on this trip I decided to start seeing what the deal is with the surface signal things. And as I flew the 100km from one to the next I was a little annoyed at how slow it is. Partly that's due to minimal engineering, but I also thought about how I have 3 or 4 other ships that could do this better and faster (aside from the fighter). So despite my fondness for the venerable Keelback, I sold it upon return.

I was on and off yesterday doing 'Sunday chores'. I worked on my encoded mats. I do a lot of scanning, and as a result I had six data types that were full, so that I often got the message that it was full when resolving a scan. So I flew to a mat trader and turned some of it in to more useful mats. Took the hit yeah, but now there's room to gather more.

I also unlocked two more engineers, Juri and Liz Ryder. I can do G1 armor now which is nice.

Finally chose a name for the Krait, which officially makes it a part of the fleet. Keeping it for now. She has been christened Poison Whiskey.

#4467379 - 03/25/19 01:39 PM Re: I need an intervention [Re: DBond]  
DM Online content
DM  Online Content

Prague
I actually went back to my DBX recently. I just like that ship, regardless that it's smaller, can be set up to do less concurrently, and takes longer to fuelscoop. I think I will delve into engineering now to get its jump distance increased. Currently it's ~23 ly. I'll keep the AspX for sure, I'll probably go back to it inevitably. But the DBX flies better IMO.

Last edited by DM; 03/25/19 01:40 PM.

#4467390 - 03/25/19 02:35 PM Re: I need an intervention [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Yes sir! Engineering will open up a whole new side of the game. It's awesome and ridiculous at the same time. Unlocking Felicity Farseer should be the first move in my view. You need a meta alloy to unlock her. Can be bought in Maia or found wherever Thargies prowl. She can do the full G5 upgrades on your FSD. She also sells the advanced thrusters if you have any ships that use class 3. Like a Viper, Courier, Eagle and others.

I really like the DBX, but I find the AspX handles better, especially in supercruise. That's the main reason I chose it for the missions to get Elite last week. And the view. And the additional optional slots. And the 6A scoop smile

My DBX jumps 66 and the AspX 55. And could go further. That's what engineering will do for ya DM. Makes the galaxy seem smaller.

When other players quote jump ranges, which one are you using? There's a rating for Min/Current/Max and I always say the current. Is that what you guys are doing as well?

#4467392 - 03/25/19 02:53 PM Re: I need an intervention [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Hey DM, are you familiar with Inara ?

It's an incredibly useful and powerful tool, even more so once you begin engineering. Many of us here use it.

It displays your fleet, your ranks, your progress, credits, everything really.

All blueprints are there. But even better, it will show you the closest mat traders, engineers (and all mods they can do) and also shows at a glance how much of any required material you have already. It takes so much work out the whole engineering process. If you leave it running while you play, it tracks where you are, so if you need to know where the closest mat trader is for example, just alt-tab, click mat traders, and they are all sorted by distance from your current location. Commodities, modules, everything.

Recommended. It's even Czech!

#4467399 - 03/25/19 03:29 PM Re: I need an intervention [Re: DBond]  
DM Online content
DM  Online Content

Prague
Yes sir! Engineering will open up a whole new side of the game. It's awesome and ridiculous at the same time. Unlocking Felicity Farseer should be the first move in my view. You need a meta alloy to unlock her. Can be bought in Maia or found wherever Thargies prowl. She can do the full G5 upgrades on your FSD. She also sells the advanced thrusters if you have any ships that use class 3. Like a Viper, Courier, Eagle and others.

Thanks for the info smile Engineering is one of those things I've been putting off until it was "time" for me to approach it.

I really like the DBX, but I find the AspX handles better, especially in supercruise. That's the main reason I chose it for the missions to get Elite last week. And the view. And the additional optional slots. And the 6A scoop smile

So we have different opinions on those two regarding handling biggrin To be honest I don't really notice any difference in handling between ships as far as supercruise goes.

My DBX jumps 66 and the AspX 55. And could go further. That's what engineering will do for ya DM. Makes the galaxy seem smaller.

I've heard of those crazy jump distances, I take it a portion of that is down to individual modules adding up to less weight? I generally go for A class unless there's no reason to, whatever my power module can handle basically. I'll be happy to get increase in jump distance but I'll be happy with 40+ without module tuning. I don't think I need extreme jump distance at this stage, although that might change.

When other players quote jump ranges, which one are you using? There's a rating for Min/Current/Max and I always say the current. Is that what you guys are doing as well?

Current as far as I can tell.

#4467400 - 03/25/19 03:30 PM Re: I need an intervention [Re: DBond]  
DM Online content
DM  Online Content

Prague
Hey DM, are you familiar with Inara ?

It's an incredibly useful and powerful tool, even more so once you begin engineering. Many of us here use it.

It displays your fleet, your ranks, your progress, credits, everything really.

All blueprints are there. But even better, it will show you the closest mat traders, engineers (and all mods they can do) and also shows at a glance how much of any required material you have already. It takes so much work out the whole engineering process. If you leave it running while you play, it tracks where you are, so if you need to know where the closest mat trader is for example, just alt-tab, click mat traders, and they are all sorted by distance from your current location. Commodities, modules, everything.

Recommended. It's even Czech!

I'm not familiar with that, but it sounds useful. I'll Czech it out for sure.

#4467401 - 03/25/19 03:40 PM Re: I need an intervention [Re: DM]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Originally Posted by DM

I've heard of those crazy jump distances, I take it a portion of that is down to individual modules adding up to less weight? I generally go for A class unless there's no reason to, whatever my power module can handle basically. I'll be happy to get increase in jump distance but I'll be happy with 40+ without module tuning. I don't think I need extreme jump distance at this stage, although that might change.

Yes, modules are a big part of it. But to start, a G5 FSD with experimental of your choice will gain you gobs of distance and will hold you for a while I reckon. Don't forget to 'pin' the Increased Range blueprint at the engineer so you can do it to your other ships without flying back to Deciat (remote workshop). If you can, take exploration data with you, which you can sell at Farseer Inc to gain fast rep with Felicity. Arriving to her shop with a single meta alloy and a good amount of exploration data will have you set up in no time. I think you need Scout exploration rank to get the invite, but I'm sure you're way past that.

For core internals I always use A rated power plants, thrusters, distributors and FSD. But the life support and sensors are usually D rated. But that's something to think about later smile

You can buy additional time since you can synth life support, so I find D is all you need.

#4467407 - 03/25/19 04:39 PM Re: I need an intervention [Re: DBond]  
Bohemond Offline
Bohemond  Offline

Albuquerque, NM
DM, my original DBX build was all D rated and G5 engineered. Had a circa 70 ly range. Hated the fact that I couldn’t perma-boost so I A rated/G5-ed it. Jump range fell to 67-ish, well worth it in my opinion. Lost 3 ly in exchange for much better performance across the board.
For the longest time I resisted going down the Engineering rabbit hole. At first, it’s a right pia. After a while, it becomes much easier and natural. Engineered ships are much, much more potent and powerful.

#4467409 - 03/25/19 04:52 PM Re: I need an intervention [Re: Bohemond]  
DM Online content
DM  Online Content

Prague
Originally Posted by Bohemond
DM, my original DBX build was all D rated and G5 engineered. Had a circa 70 ly range. Hated the fact that I couldn’t perma-boost so I A rated/G5-ed it. Jump range fell to 67-ish, well worth it in my opinion. Lost 3 ly in exchange for much better performance across the board.
For the longest time I resisted going down the Engineering rabbit hole. At first, it’s a right pia. After a while, it becomes much easier and natural. Engineered ships are much, much more potent and powerful.

Thx Bohemond. I'm looking forward to starting the process and reaping the benefits smile encouraging information there.

#4467411 - 03/25/19 04:58 PM Re: I need an intervention [Re: DM]  
Bohemond Offline
Bohemond  Offline

Albuquerque, NM
Best advice I can give you, is fit a collector limpet controller on your ships and collect EVERYTHING always. It’s all useful. After a while it’ll become second nature. Also, drop in to as many degraded, encoded, and Hi grade USS sites as you can.

#4467413 - 03/25/19 05:07 PM Re: I need an intervention [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
I did pretty much the same as Bo when I bought the DBX. But I hated the D rated thrusters and they were switched out within the hour. Gotta have speed, as well as responsiveness and the ability to handle high-G environments. I think lots of folks (at least at FDev forum) focus too much on jump range or top speed raw numbers and ignore other stuff. Heat for example.

Anyway, one of the most appealing aspects of this game is the way everything is balanced, and results in everyone having a different favorite thing. Very little is a 'must have'. That goes for ships, weapons, engineering. Everyone has their favorites and it makes it a lot more interesting and discussion-worthy than it could be.

Here is Felicity's page at Inara. This shows you what she can do for your ship. A really good start.

https://inara.cz/galaxy-engineer/1/

Click on any mod and it will show you what is required to complete. If you choose to register there and get the API key it will also show you what you have so you can see what you still need. It will be obvious once you start, but each mod requires you to 'roll' it. You choose to install the upgrade and it will complete a certain percentage, meaning some mods require multiple rolls. The upshot is that even though Inara shows you need 1x Atypical Disrupted Wake Echoes to complete the G1 Increased Range mod, it may require several rolls (and definitely will for your first one) So be sure to have extra smile

#4467420 - 03/25/19 06:58 PM Re: I need an intervention [Re: DBond]  
WingNuts01 Offline
WingNuts01  Offline

Huntington Beach, CA
Yup, starting with an engineer you'll need at least 5 rolls for each level. As you progress G3 or G4 it will take more rolls. Once you get access to a higher grade immediately move on to it. Don't linger completing that lower grade. A waste of your resources. As you max an engineer pin the blueprint you feel is most useful. Then you can use the remote engineering function. You can't choose an experimental using remote engineering though. That you'll have to visit the specific engineer for.

As a example I used remote engineering at Shinrata on thrusters. Dirty Drives from zero to G5. Then I traveled to Felicity and added the experimental to them. Felicity is much closer that traveling to Palin.

Also a note on engineering. FSD experimentals, size 4 and lower use Deep Charge, size 5 and up use Mass Manager. These will provide you the best increase in jump range.

Felicity is definitely your 1st choice to unlock. Followed by Blaster so you get access to Selene Jean. Selene will give you Armor and Hull Reinforcement. Light weight that Military Composite for a big jump range as well.

As always need help just ask.

i5-2500K @4.3gh
Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
16gb Mushkin PC3 1600
OCZ ZX-850 Gold
Lite-On DVD Burner
27" Samsung 2770FH
Warthog #11118 Woot!!!
#4467453 - 03/25/19 10:03 PM Re: I need an intervention [Re: DBond]  
JohnnyChemo Offline
JohnnyChemo  Offline

Buffalo, NY
Since we are sharing our activities, I’ve been working on my Fed rank by running rescue missions at the damaged station in 61 Virginis. It has 6 Fed factions, so there are plenty of missions to help in the cause. I only had a chance to run 2 sorties (in my Conda I can stack about 10 rescue missions) but bounced up 30% in my rank progress.

I spent last weekend doing some engineering. I recommend hitting Dav’s Hope for manufactured mats and the Jameson crash site for the encoded mats. Run the site, exit to the main menu, jump back in, wash r8nse, repeat. I wound up with enough to do most of what I wanted to do. Btw I use an Asp for mat gathering and general running around. I’ve got it right around 50 ly jump range.

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.
This is known as "bad luck.”
-Robert Heinlein
#4467455 - 03/25/19 10:23 PM Re: I need an intervention [Re: JohnnyChemo]  
Bohemond Offline
Bohemond  Offline

Albuquerque, NM
JC, now that you’re getting your ships modded up ( not that it’s a prerequisite) I’ll re-extend our standing invite to wing up with us for some cooperative fun and mayhem!

#4467466 - 03/25/19 11:03 PM Re: I need an intervention [Re: WingNuts01]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Originally Posted by WingNuts01
Yup, starting with an engineer you'll need at least 5 rolls for each level.

True, and also why I recommend taking as much exploration data with you as possible. If you sell it to Farseer after unlocking but before engineering it will raise the rep and decrease the number of rolls as a result. Can save some mats which are so precious in the early going.

Don't linger completing that lower grade. A waste of your resources.

And all those mats I saved were wasted by this. I learned. But not soon enough for me.

Hey JC, are you looking to rank up with a certain Fed boat in mind?

#4467485 - 03/25/19 11:56 PM Re: I need an intervention [Re: DBond]  
JohnnyChemo Offline
JohnnyChemo  Offline

Buffalo, NY
Thanks again for the wing invite! It’s something I’ll take you up on eventually, but to be honest I’m really enjoying just bouncing around from thing to thing in the game right now.

I’d like to get the Corvette to use as a large combat ship. I’ve got a Krait for smaller stuff along with a Fer de Lance. I lean toward the Krait but I want to give the FDL another try just to see the difference. I switched out of the FDL to get a fighter (and I hated that bar down the middle of the canopy). While the fighter is nice, the npc crewman takes some of the exp in kills, so it slows down rank progression. The canopy frame doesn’t look as bad in vr as it does flat too, so that might be less of an annoyance.

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.
-Robert Heinlein
#4467545 - 03/26/19 11:23 AM Re: I need an intervention [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
The 'Vette is a good choice. You're not far now. Bo was vaporizing targets in his Vette the other night. It's a beast.

I recommended Inara earlier in this thread, but completely failed to say that in order to use it, you need another program. Inara itself pulls nothing from your Elite time, so you need another program to send that data to Inara. There are several to choose from, but I use Elite Dangerous Market Connector, or EDMC. This is the program you leave running like I mentioned to keep Inara updated as to your progress and location.

This is the list of third party programs that work with Inara. I have only used EDMC so far.

https://inara.cz/inara-api/

#4467564 - 03/26/19 03:06 PM Re: I need an intervention [Re: DBond]  
JohnnyChemo Offline
JohnnyChemo  Offline

Buffalo, NY
I went from 3% to 32% towards Post-Captain Sunday night, and from 32% to 80% last night running rescues. I take the rep-paying missions and always take the highest rep payouts, esp if there's a high rep w/engineering map payouts. (It feels to me like engineering mats are the new currency) I figure I'll get to 100% tonight and run back to my home system (Parun) and run the rank mission if it pops up right away. I'll wait until next week to rank up the last notch from Post Captain to Rear Admiral next week, so by the weekend I should be there. I may not buy the vette right away, I want to build a little more bank first. I'm planning on doing some opal mining (which I enjoy) before picking it up. Then I plan on using the vette to get the bounties and bonds I need to unlock a couple of engineers.

Of course before I buy a vette I'll have to get a cool paint job, and more importantly come up with a good name!

I mine in a Python, and I've made a few changes to my build in Orbis I have to do in game, and then I want to do some more engineering on it. I have the mats, but I'll have to fly to Farseer for the blueprints that aren't pinned. I'm also thinking about picking up a DBX to try since they are cheap, and I understand that since they are smaller they are a little easier to find landing spots for in rough planetary terrain. I'll keep my ASP for explo, but I may wind up using the DBX as a taxi/planetary lander/mat gatherer if I like it.

I use Inara too, with EDMC, though sometimes it doesn't seem to update.

I'm also using EDEngineering for my engineering planning, and works great. If you aren't familiar with it, you can create a "shopping list" for a planned list of engineering you want to do, and it will even tell you what you would need to use the material traders to make up anything you are short on. It also has a robust filter you can really shop and sift for what you want.

Last edited by JohnnyChemo; 03/26/19 03:09 PM.

-Robert Heinlein
#4467584 - 03/26/19 04:47 PM Re: I need an intervention [Re: JohnnyChemo]  
Bohemond Offline
Bohemond  Offline

Albuquerque, NM
To buy and A rate a ‘vette ( bought at Jameson) cost me just under 500 million. Just a heads up, JC

Last edited by Bohemond; 03/26/19 04:48 PM. Reason: Clarification
#4467595 - 03/26/19 05:32 PM Re: I need an intervention [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
He's got it.

I checked out the Vette, which I hadn't in a long time. I am nowhere near one neither rank nor money.

But egads. 8 utitlities and what, 12 optionals?

Is there anything you can't fit on a Vette? Good grief. No wonder you need 500 million.

#4467609 - 03/26/19 07:23 PM Re: I need an intervention [Re: DBond]  
JohnnyChemo Offline
JohnnyChemo  Offline

Buffalo, NY
Yeah that won't break the bank it will put a big dent in it!
That's why I want do do some mining before I buy it, to ease the pain so to speak.

-Robert Heinlein
#4467617 - 03/26/19 08:20 PM Re: I need an intervention [Re: JohnnyChemo]  
Bohemond Offline
Bohemond  Offline

Albuquerque, NM
My rebuy is circa 21 million

#4467672 - 03/27/19 01:56 AM Re: I need an intervention [Re: DBond]  
WH_Boomer Offline
WH_Boomer  Offline

Gulf Coast

I recommended Inara earlier in this thread, but completely failed to say that in order to use it, you need another program. Inara itself pulls nothing from your Elite time, so you need another program to send that data to Inara. There are several to choose from, but I use Elite Dangerous Market Connector, or EDMC. This is the program you leave running like I mentioned to keep Inara updated as to your progress and location.

This is the list of third party programs that work with Inara. I have only used EDMC so far.

https://inara.cz/inara-api/

Not quite any longer guys. INARA recently went from using the API to using the Frontier Authentication Service, which is a much better way of gathering data IMO since it removes the middle man (EDDI, EDMC, etc.) and required updates for them.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by WH_Boomer; 03/27/19 01:58 AM.

~S~
WH_Boomer
#4467677 - 03/27/19 02:21 AM Re: I need an intervention [Re: DBond]  
JohnnyChemo Offline
JohnnyChemo  Offline

Buffalo, NY
So I got my next Fed rank this evening - I had to laugh because the mission itself was a literal BEER RUN!!!

[Linked Image]

-Robert Heinlein
#4467680 - 03/27/19 02:31 AM Re: I need an intervention [Re: DBond]  
WH_Boomer Offline
WH_Boomer  Offline

Gulf Coast
I see a lot of folks discussing Engineering in Elite as well and thought I'd share my thoughts on the matter. I've written a progression guide for the War Hawks to help simplify the process and minimize having to unlock multiple engineers that can do the same thing. For example, I know a lot of people unlock Farseer first, and I did too when I first began. But she is actually not the best choice if you're trying to minimize material costs.

Martuuk in Khun is actually a better choice to start with since you'll need to unlock her and get enough ranking to unlock Qwent ( You'll need the Sirius System Permit to access him) which will lead you to Palin and the almighty Grade 5 Thrusters.

Hopefully the PDF I've attached below is accessible for everyone. If not, let me know and I'll host it up someplace else.

Engineering Progression

While the Engineering path can be quite "grindy" it is very much worth the time and effort it takes as you will see incredible benefits once you're upgraded.

~S~
WH_Boomer
#4467725 - 03/27/19 12:25 PM Re: I need an intervention [Re: WH_Boomer]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Originally Posted by WH_Boomer

Not quite any longer guys. INARA recently went from using the API to using the Frontier Authentication Service, which is a much better way of gathering data IMO since it removes the middle man (EDDI, EDMC, etc.) and required updates for them.

I saw that but didn't know my Frontier ID. Clearly I didn't read the instructions because it says right there it will be generated when you link it.

What advantages does it offer? Aside from needing a separate program? Is there anything that EDMC does that the Frontier one does not?

#4467733 - 03/27/19 01:12 PM Re: I need an intervention [Re: DBond]  
WH_Boomer Offline
WH_Boomer  Offline

Gulf Coast
[quote=WH_Boomer]
... Is there anything that EDMC does that the Frontier one does not?

EDMC can generate data files on your computer that can then be used in other tools such as Trade Dangerous or online shipbuilders like E:D Shipyard or Coriolis which can be handy if you're wanting to see what a specific upgrade might do before actually buying or engineering it.

~S~
WH_Boomer
#4467855 - 03/28/19 11:40 AM Re: I need an intervention [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Thanks Boomer for the info thumbsup

Last night I was looking through my fleet and seeing what engineering I wished I could do if only I had the mats. So I put together a list of the stuff I had the least of but needed the most.

Chemical Distilleries
Chemical Manipulators
Configurable Components
Improvised Components
Conductive Components
Polymer Capacitors

I then grabbed the Courier and was ready to set off in search of a thousand USSs to hopefully gather a few of the above list. So I Googled it to see what sort of states I needed to concentrate on. But I kept seeing Davs Hope. Now, I knew of it of course. I knew that folks get mats there and swear by it. But I'd never been. I plotted it and saw it was just a few jumps in Dawnbreaker (AspX) and off I went on this new adventure. And Oh My God.

As I said to Wingy last night while I was there "Like a crack addict set free in Crackville". I spent a couple of hours there turning it in to the Davs Hope Grand Prix, turning lap after lap. Got so much stuff I can't believe it. I'll skip the regret about never having done this before, and thinking about how much further along I would be if I had. Stuff on that list that I had zero of, I now have fifty of. Crazy. I felt like I was cheating, but at the same time felt I deserved it haha. Even got stuff I had never seen before. Electromechanical Arrays for instance. New discovery for me, and now have 46 of them smile

And it kickstarted engineering again for me. Took the FDL to the Dweller and swapped the Burst Lasers for Beams, and changed the Huge MC from Auto Loader to Corrosive at Marco's. All multicannons went to G5. It hits harder now. What a successful session smile

I also plugged in the values for Wingy's HUD colors. Not sure what's going on, as I double checked that I entered them right. But it's different. The result is pretty good though and I'll keep this for now. It has the color separation I wanted, and green for friend is back. I like it.

Attached Files newhud.jpg

#4467900 - 03/28/19 03:03 PM Re: I need an intervention [Re: DBond]  
JohnnyChemo Offline
JohnnyChemo  Offline

Buffalo, NY
I did the Dav's Dance recently, and I know what you mean!
Another good site is Jameson's crash site for encoded materials. I was able to sit in place and scan three nodes without moving, so it was scan-log out-log in-scan-wash-rinse-repeate for a while and suddenly I was flush with data I could use or trade to get whatever I needed.

I can't recommend EDEngineer enough either, if you haven't tried it. It's very helpful. I made a shopping list, and then used EDDI to put the number of materials I needed into it's database. When I hit that number in game, it would tell me via text-to-speech in VoiceAttack.

-Robert Heinlein
#4467902 - 03/28/19 03:08 PM Re: I need an intervention [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Thanks for the tip. I'm pretty good on encoded because of all the scanning I do. Did you happen to notice if it yielded any G5 encoded mats?

Davs was amazing and a huge help, but no G5 stuff there.

#4467924 - 03/28/19 03:59 PM Re: I need an intervention [Re: DBond]  
WH_Boomer Offline
WH_Boomer  Offline

Gulf Coast
Jameson Crash site is awesome for data. You can max out Adaptive Encryptors Capture (G5), Atypical Encryption Archives (G4), and Cracked Industrial Firmware (G3) rather quickly then jump to a nearby system to trade for exactly what you need.

System: HIP 12099
Planet: 1 B

Closest datatrader
System: Diaguandri
Station: Ray Gateway

Down to Earth Astronomy has a great video explaining exactly what you need to do.

I also use the Anaconda Crash site here for Raw Materials:
Koli Discii Crash Site
Koli Discii C 6 A: 28.5 x 7.2

You can load up on Antimony(G4), Ruthenium(G4), Tellurium(G4), Tungsten(G3), and Zirconium(G2) and trade them at a nearby raw material trader. I prefer Chretien Terminal in Ross 444 because the station is close to the drop point.

So between Dav's Hope as you've already discovered, Jameson Crash site, and the Crashed Anaconda on Koli Discii you should be all set to engineer your ships to the fullest degree. *grin*

~S~
WH_Boomer
#4467927 - 03/28/19 04:11 PM Re: I need an intervention [Re: DBond]  
WH_Boomer Offline
WH_Boomer  Offline

Gulf Coast
PS> As JohnnyChemo said, EDEngineer is a great tool for building a shopping list. But if you're already registered and using INARA for other things, it also has a shopping list feature that will keep track of what you have and what you need to gather or trade for along with suggested trades to get what you need. Just select the Blueprint you want to make along with any experimental effects, set the number of rolls at each grade or leave it at default, then check the Missing Components tab.

[Linked Image]

~S~
WH_Boomer
#4467953 - 03/28/19 06:01 PM Re: I need an intervention [Re: DBond]  
WingNuts01 Offline
WingNuts01  Offline

Huntington Beach, CA
For G5 raw and 3 good scans try Bug Killer Anaconda at HIP 16613 1A. Map the planet and it'll show as poi. Other wise -11.0093, -95.6755

i5-2500K @4.3gh
Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
16gb Mushkin PC3 1600
OCZ ZX-850 Gold
Lite-On DVD Burner
27" Samsung 2770FH
Warthog #11118 Woot!!!
#4467957 - 03/28/19 06:22 PM Re: I need an intervention [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Great tips fellas. Much appreciated.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.