Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4466619 - 03/20/19 12:34 PM Mistakes I've made  
DM Offline
DM  Offline

Prague
What were your noob mistakes? Or continuing ones for that matter biggrin

Not realising I had two ships right off the bat (because of early purchase/kickstarter thing).

Not really getting the thermal load mechanic, kept crisping myself trying to fuel scoop, and not diving as soon as it's done when accelerating away.

Buying a Diamondback Explorer as soon as I could, racing off to the deep, landing, select the SRV - no SRV. Assumed that as my Sidewinder came with one, my DB would too.

Immediately pranging my Asp Explorer into the first planet I went to in it, because I didn't appreciate the difference in mass vs the crappy thrusters you get as default.

Leaving for a long journey then realising that after outfitting my ship I don't have enough cash to pay the insurance... made me tiptoe everywhere.

Going mining without limpets. I thought they came with the prospector controller.

Going mining without a collector controller. Cue hours of playing dip-and-grab.

Having pulse sensor and launch prospector controller on different fire groups, but the same fire switch. Accidentally fired off plenty of limited prospectors instead of activating the pulse.

I'll add more as I remember/commit them.

Last edited by DM; 03/20/19 12:35 PM.

"They might look the same, but they don't taste the same."
#4466626 - 03/20/19 12:55 PM Re: Mistakes I've made [Re: DM]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
I flew combat for two weeks flying circles looking for the ships firing the green tracers at me.

It was my point defence!

No, now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!
#4466670 - 03/20/19 03:38 PM Re: Mistakes I've made [Re: DM]  
Chucky Offline
Veteran
Chucky  Offline
Veteran

UK
I once got interdicted by one of the bigger clans in my T-6. He told me to abandon my cargo and I could continue unmolested. Fair enough,I was prepared to do a little role-play As I hesitated he 'reminded' me to hurry up with a few shots to the hull. As I had never ejected cargo before I just jettisoned it instead. He was not too happy with that so started to reduce me to space dust. I'm ashamed to say that I was so annoyed with him for making me rush that I combat-logged out. This was before I even knew combat logging was a thing. I have never done it since and will never again.

Now I know the difference between 'abandon' and 'jettison' biggrin

I've done plenty of other stupid things but this is enough for now.

Last edited by Chucky; 03/20/19 03:38 PM.

EV's are the Devils matchbox.
#4466673 - 03/20/19 03:49 PM Re: Mistakes I've made [Re: Chucky]  
DM Offline
DM  Offline

Prague
Originally Posted by Chucky
I once got interdicted by one of the bigger clans in my T-6. He told me to abandon my cargo and I could continue unmolested. Fair enough,I was prepared to do a little role-play As I hesitated he 'reminded' me to hurry up with a few shots to the hull. As I had never ejected cargo before I just jettisoned it instead. He was not too happy with that so started to reduce me to space dust. I'm ashamed to say that I was so annoyed with him for making me rush that I combat-logged out. This was before I even knew combat logging was a thing. I have never done it since and will never again.

Now I know the difference between 'abandon' and 'jettison' biggrin

I've done plenty of other stupid things but this is enough for now.

A few weeks ago I spent some time playing Worlds Adrift, an interesting little game not a million miles away from Elite Dangerous, except you make your own floating ship, whatever shape you like it to be and with whatever parts you desire. You "sail" it from floating island in the sky to floating island in the sky. Piracy abounds.

Anyway, that game has a reasonable solution to combat-logging, When you log out, as a player you go immediately, but your ship stays in the game for 3 minutes after you've gone.

Also, I didn't know there was an "abandon" mechanic. I'd have simply jettisoned it too biggrin

Last edited by DM; 03/20/19 03:51 PM.

#4466687 - 03/20/19 04:44 PM Re: Mistakes I've made [Re: DM]  
Recluse Offline
Mediocrity Above All!
Recluse  Offline
Mediocrity Above All!
Hotshot

Randolph, NJ
- Many times heading through the mail slot having forgotten to ask for Docking clearance
-Forgetting to calibrate my stick and ending up flopping around in the station trying to exit while getting TRESPASS WARNINGS (once I actually got vaporized, but luckily was in a little "taxi" ship)
-After delivering supplies to a Rescue Ship near DAMAGED STATION, I decided to try rescuing passengers from the station. I was told to carry heat sinks and so I did. I had never used heatsinks before, so I deployed my hardpoints thinking I needed to do that. Unfortunately I hadn't noticed that my POWER CONSUMPTION was far over the limit with the addition of Heat Sinks, so there I was in a burning station with most systems including THRUSTERS shut down. Luckily I managed to retract the hardpoints, fire off a heatsink and escape.
-Didn't realize the new mechanic of having to manually load up cargo when doing transport missions, and when arriving at the destination which was 50,000 light seconds away from the star realized I had nothing to unload.
-Many times switched ships for Combat and forgot to activate my fighter pilot.

Long system spec sig follows:

PowerSpec G436
Lian Li ATX 205
MSI Z490 Plus Motherboard
Intel Core i7 10700K 3.8 GHz
32 GB RAM DDR4 1600
Nvidia RTX3070

Windows 10 Professional 64 Bit

Flight Gear:

Cougar Hotas S/N 26453
Thrustmaster RCS Rudder Pedals

#4466730 - 03/20/19 09:02 PM Re: Mistakes I've made [Re: DM]  
Chucky Offline
Veteran
Chucky  Offline
Veteran

UK
Originally Posted by DM

Also, I didn't know there was an "abandon" mechanic. I'd have simply jettisoned it too biggrin

Jettisoned goods would show up as 'stolen' I believe. If I abandon them they can be picked up by anyone and sold etc with no questions asked.

EV's are the Devils matchbox.
#4466791 - 03/21/19 09:12 AM Re: Mistakes I've made [Re: Chucky]  
DM Offline
DM  Offline

Prague
Originally Posted by Chucky
Jettisoned goods would show up as 'stolen' I believe. If I abandon them they can be picked up by anyone and sold etc with no questions asked.

Ah I see. I had thought that maybe jettisoned good were "fired" out the cargo making it more difficult to gather. This makes more sense.

#4466803 - 03/21/19 11:10 AM Re: Mistakes I've made [Re: DBond]  
Plaguecrafter Offline
Plaguecrafter  Offline

Originally Posted by DBond
I flew combat for two weeks flying circles looking for the ships firing the green tracers at me.

It was my point defence!

Glad to see I was not the only one. biggrin

#4466809 - 03/21/19 12:31 PM Re: Mistakes I've made [Re: DM]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
I suspect we aren't the only ones PC. smile

I also did a mission to deliver goods without the goods when I got back in to Elite a couple of weeks ago. And then flew back, did it wrong AGAIN, and then a third time, which worked since I actually had the stuff. Sheesh.

No, now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.