Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4464853 - 03/10/19 05:45 PM BoB2 WOV "Options" Problem  
Mike Dora Offline
Mike Dora  Offline

USA (transplanted Scot)
Hello All,

It's taken a while, but I've now successfully got BoB2 WOV working on my Win10 desktop. Well, almost.

The only apparent remaining problem, is that I can't access the "Options" selection from the main menu screen. All of the other selections seem to work so far, but when I choose "Options" the system locks up, leaving the old three-fingered salute as the only way out. This means that at the moment I'm stuck with some frustratingly low resolution 3D graphics.

So, two questions: is there a way to fix this directly, so that I can actually get into the Options screens?

Alternatively, is there a relevant "options" file somewhere that I can manually edit to eg change screen resolution, graphics settings etc? I ask because I don't see these in the bdg.txt file.

Thanks

Mike

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4464870 - 03/10/19 08:21 PM Re: BoB2 WOV "Options" Problem [Re: Mike Dora]  
33lima Offline
33lima  Offline

Belfast, NI
Experienced players can likely help better (here or on the BoB forums at A2A simulations) but have you updated to BDG 2.13 yet? Not that this ought to make a difference, as I think uppatched BoB2 should be ok in Win 10, but the update does at the very least change the background image (from movie Heinkels to a painting of a Spit showing her underside). If not might be as well to apply the update and see if you still have a problem. I don't recall having that particular problem in Win 10, before I switched to running BoB2 in Win 7.

In Win 10 IIRC like Win 7 you probably have to set 'Run as administrator' in the compatibility tab of bob.exe and possibly also tick the box to Disable desktop composition. I tried various O/S compatibility modes in Win 10, XP SP3 seems commonly recommended, but I think Win 10 native works as well, though no setting seems immume from the Win 10 CTD when quitting a mission.

You can turn off 'Use desktop resolution' off in bdg.ini (the recommended setting IIRC, even if you end up setting the 2d and 3d resolutions the same as desktop native res) but as you say I see no way to set screen res there, beyond that.

Last edited by 33lima; 03/10/19 08:24 PM.

SimHQ Battle of Britain II screenshots thread
CombatAce Mission Reports
"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." (attributed to Marcus Aurelius)

#4464877 - 03/10/19 09:36 PM Re: BoB2 WOV "Options" Problem [Re: Mike Dora]  
Mike Dora Offline
Mike Dora  Offline

USA (transplanted Scot)
Thanks Lima,

All of the above done, thanks, including v2.13 with the beautiful shot of a Spit peeling away in the menu screen.

Done all the regular stuff such as compatibility = XP SP3, run as Administrator, override hi DPI = application. Have also set Use Desktop Resolution = off in bdg.txt (I note you refer to "bdg.ini" - maybe that's just an NI vs Scotland translation error? wink

But still I cannae get into "Options", nor can I find the relevant "screen resolution" file to edit. Frustrating.

Mike

#4464880 - 03/10/19 10:28 PM Re: BoB2 WOV "Options" Problem [Re: Mike Dora]  
33lima Offline
33lima  Offline

Belfast, NI
Hi Mike and yes I'm getting my Il-2 conf.ini mixed up with my BoB2 bdg.txt!

Screen resolution is possibly in SAVEGAMES/settings.cfg but that's gash if opened in Wordpad, looks like it needs a hex editor or somesuch..

I take it you also accepted the offer when installing 2.13 to install DX9 from the4 disc, apparently BoB2 is fussy about its DX9 version and that's a good idea.

This is the only other thing I see mentioned in the 2.13 installation guide:

"Currently, Windows screen text size must be set to 96 DPI. We will try to address this for 2.14. (in Win7 this is found under Screen Resolution by right clicking the desktop background, or under Control Panel>Display)"

If nobody else shows up here with the fix, only other suggestion would be to search and/or post here, where old hands and modders still hang out: http://a2asimulations.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=42&sid=274edc97c662d47744e5975d1ebf1ba4

I'm sure you'll get her going!

Ivor

"Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth." (attributed to Marcus Aurelius)

#4464903 - 03/11/19 01:43 AM Re: BoB2 WOV "Options" Problem [Re: Mike Dora]  
Mike Dora Offline
Mike Dora  Offline

USA (transplanted Scot)
Well Ivor

After a bit of hacking around, involving going to the “Options” menu selection, getting the program lockup, then going ctrl-alt-del, lo and behold I found myself in the Options screen!

So I selected the highest equivalent 3D & campaign resolutions, and it was chocks away tally ho last one in Berlin’s a loser! Beautiful smooth hi-res preservation of decency and democracy in the skies over Kent (in case people haven’t guessed, yes I’m ex-RAF :))

Now the only thing is that exiting a mission with Alt-X gives me a CTD. Oh well. One step at a time.

Per Ardua etc

Mike

#4464925 - 03/11/19 10:02 AM Re: BoB2 WOV "Options" Problem [Re: Mike Dora]  
33lima Offline
33lima  Offline

Belfast, NI
Glad you're sorted Mike. My late father was in the RAF post-WW2 but spent much of his time at sea, in ASR launches.

I don't think there's a fix for a CTD on quitting a mission in Win 10. Reports of one seem to turn out premature, every time. I gave up and got Win 7 on an SSD. The alternative seems to be sticking to Win 10 and accepting no debriefings when it strikes (maybe half the time for me, on balance). On campaign missions I also sometimes got a CTDs early on. Doesn't stop playing campaigns I think as you can resume one from before accepting the offer to fly, since BoB2 backs up before you do so. So sometimes the campaign mission will abort, other times it complete like the historical missions but CTD on quitting. So when you restart BoB2 and from the main menu, load the saved mission (called Autosave, by default) the campaign resumes as if the mission you flew didn't happen. You can let the wargame AI fly it this time and pick the next one offered. Irritating but I think playable.

I tried every suggestion I could find plus a few of my own like pausing or switching to the map screen before quitting, before deciding Win 7 dual boot was worth being rid of the limitations in Win 10, even though I was still able to play the sim with a bit of disruption.

Ivor

#4464956 - 03/11/19 03:19 PM Re: BoB2 WOV "Options" Problem [Re: Mike Dora]  
Mike Dora Offline
Mike Dora  Offline

USA (transplanted Scot)
Thanks Ivor,

I can report one small extra piece of good news, the original problem reported here with the "Options" selection seems to be solved. All it needed was a bit of patience. I had thought that it was locking up, it just needed a bit of time to get started.

Secondly, by dropping my screen resolution from 2560x1440x32 to 1920x1080x32, I can now get fairly consistent Alt-X exits with small-scale immediate action scenarios. May explore further here*.

Lastly, I have also tried the alternative boot thing, with Win7 installed on a USB, but couldn't get it to work. Was able to select and boot from the USB, but the boot sequence kept crashing with the blue screen of death. I know when to quit!

Mike

*I'm reminded of a story told to me years ago by a Canadian Army friend who owned an MG Midget. He said that the Japanese car makers had spotted a niche for small, two-seat sports cars for chaps like him, and so Honda, Toyota et al produced models aimed at that market. They didn't sell very well, their problem was that they were too reliable, they didn't require any user maintenance. It was the latter feature that attracted guys like my friend to the small British sports cars, their hobby was not so much driving the cars, as maintaining them.

Are we a bit like those guys?

Last edited by Mike Dora; 03/11/19 03:20 PM.

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.