Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#4464474 - 03/07/19 11:30 PM Re: is ArmA 4 annouced? [Re: Meatsheild]  
ricnunes Offline
ricnunes  Offline

Portugal
Originally Posted by Meatsheild
the thing that makes me cringe about vietnam with arma is the AI ... i dont think their new engine actually fixes any AI stuff and is mainly a graphics upgrade etc etc

Yes, there's indeed a problem with Arma's AI and jungle environment (for example they can see too well thru grass and vegetation). Of course one would expect that a tentative Arma 4 would solve such issues but then again we're talking about BIS...

On the other hand things seem to work rather ok regarding Tanoa, which would be rather similar to a Vietnam scenario.

a 60s/80s era african "bush war" would be pretty interesting, you'd have everything from ww1 stuff to modernish 80s to potentially place with!

Actually, I believe you could be surprised that with such conflicts you could even have much older weapons than WW1 stuff.

For example, an uncle of mine served in the Portuguese Army in the Colonial War in Angola and was deployed in the southern part of Angola where he saw action mainly against UNITA forces where most of its forces at the time were armed with Flintlock Rifles (mostly using nails and sometimes together with shards of glass as ammo) and even Bows and Arrows.
By the way, my uncle feared more the Bows and Arrows than the Flintlock Rifles.

wink

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4464476 - 03/08/19 12:08 AM Re: is ArmA 4 annouced? [Re: dmagnusson]  
462cid Offline
462cid  Offline

USA
X ray vision in fact!

What kind of car is that? What does it matter? When I drive it, I'm Steve McQueen
#4464528 - 03/08/19 11:50 AM Re: is ArmA 4 annouced? [Re: dmagnusson]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
I agree that having everyone on the same page with the mods can be a potential pain in the ass but the Steam Works service has made it incredibly easier to manage. For our SimHQ Military Monday sessions we download and update all of our mods via Steam Works and it's awesome.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4464592 - 03/08/19 08:43 PM Re: is ArmA 4 annouced? [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
ricnunes Offline
ricnunes  Offline

Portugal
Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer
I agree that having everyone on the same page with the mods can be a potential pain in the ass but the Steam Works service has made it incredibly easier to manage.

IMO the main problem is the server, specially a dedicated server where I believe most of the MP games are hosted at and as such managing the mods with the server.

But yes, I agree that Steam Works service helps a lot, specially on the client side and of course also with SP (single player) games.

Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer

For our SimHQ Military Monday sessions we download and update all of our mods via Steam Works and it's awesome.

I guess that one of these days I'll join you guys wink

#4464673 - 03/09/19 10:06 AM Re: is ArmA 4 annouced? [Re: dmagnusson]  
Meatsheild Offline
Arma3 guy!
Meatsheild  Offline
Arma3 guy!

Peoples Republic of Yorkshire
managing the server isnt all that bad these days, theres been the odd time when mods have updated on game night which was a slight pain, but thats been about it. Using mods on the steam workshop has made things a lot easier as so long as you use THAT version, everyone is using the same version, even if they've not played for ages.

SimHQ Arma3 sessions, weekly semi-serious co-op action for all ages and skills! check the forum sticky for more info!

http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/3732626/SimHQ_Arma3_Sessions,_who,_wha#Post3732626

All spelling errors are included free of charge and courtesy of a broken spell checker!
#4464774 - 03/09/19 10:51 PM Re: is ArmA 4 annouced? [Re: Meatsheild]  
ricnunes Offline
ricnunes  Offline

Portugal
managing the server isnt all that bad these days, theres been the odd time when mods have updated on game night which was a slight pain, but thats been about it. Using mods on the steam workshop has made things a lot easier as so long as you use THAT version, everyone is using the same version, even if they've not played for ages.

Yes, indeed. But if a new mod comes up that I like and which helps to deal with the problem above (replacing futuristic/fantasy units with realistic units) then I just can't impose that same mod into a MP server, namely and for example in the server which I play with a few friends and acquaintances. Moreover even if all or most among the community agree to put that same mod on the server there probably won't be missions or useful missions that use that same mod.

A small recent example of this:
- The new F-35C mod that came up which looks interesting - well, as "interesting" as a jet aircraft can be on ArmA that is. This aircraft should have been on the game as a stock unit instead of that Super Hornet/F-22 "pseudo-hybrid". Yes, the F-35C mod that I mentioned above could "solve this issue" but again this mod was became available almost 2 years after the release of Jets DLC and the problems that I mentioned on the first paragraph of this post still stands...

At least the CSAT has a stock aircraft which is clearly modeled after the Su-57 and the AAF have one modeled after the Gripen (also stock), although both having different names (which doesn't bother me so much).

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Meatsheild, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.