Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#4464540 - 03/08/19 01:52 PM The New Ships?  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
By new I mean released in the past 8 months or so. Having taken a long break, I am getting back in to Elite a bit and have a good chunk of change to blow on a new ship.

The new ships (to me) are

Krait II
Krait Phantom
Mamba
Crusader
Challenger

I am very interested to hear any thoughts or opinions on these ships. Best roles, how you like to outfit them, comparisons, strengths and weaknesses, that sort of thing. I'll be doing the research, but would like to hear from the guys here.

I saw that the Viper Mark IV was for sale. Isn't that the one that could only be bought by kickstarters? Or am I confusing it with something else? It's available to all now? (edit, I was confusing it with the Cobra Mk IV)

At the time I shelved Elite the goal was a Cutter, and I could keep that idea going (don't have the rank yet), but with several new ships I am eager to try them out. Just gotta figure out which one I should start with.

Last edited by DBond; 03/08/19 05:56 PM.

No, now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!
#4464559 - 03/08/19 04:16 PM Re: The New Ships? [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Well that didn't take long. I'd say don't bother answering my questions, but I'd still like to hear opinions.

Upshot is that the Krait MkII is probably the only one here that I'd be interested in.

I need to judge on experience and not on salty internet comments, but the sense is that all of the other ships are not going to be for me.

So I think I will start with a Krait. What ship does this share internal slot sizes with? Is it close to a Python? I ask because I can test it engineered by swapping modules to be sure I want to keep it before jumping through the engineering hoops.

Is there no new dedicated exploration ship? One in the works? Disappointed as I was sure we'd get a new one.

#4464575 - 03/08/19 07:02 PM Re: The New Ships? [Re: DBond]  
JohnnyChemo Offline
JohnnyChemo  Offline

Buffalo, NY
The only one of those I've tried out is the Krait MK II. It's my go-to for combat missions now. I'm still pretty new to the combat side of the game, so I can't speak much to it's ability relative to other ships.

I switched to it over the FDL primarily because I was using it to salvage materials for engineering after combat, and the FDL didn't have enough slots for collectors and a cargo bay with the fit I was using. The Krait fits both as well as a nice fighter hangar, so I added that in as well.

I do remember thinking it's not quite as maneuverable as the the FDL though, nor quite as tanky. I haven't had any issues with it, but I'm still Harmless on combat (told you it was new for me!) and haven't really gone up against much higher than that. I think Competent was the most advanced opponent I've tangled with so far.

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.
This is known as "bad luck.”
-Robert Heinlein
#4464579 - 03/08/19 07:35 PM Re: The New Ships? [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Bah, ya know what, none of these new ships are doing it for me the way I hoped new ships would.

I could buy the Krait yeah, and have a more agile, less versatile Python. But I love my Python.

I have combat ships already. The Krait II seems a cool ship, but it seems rather redundant considering my fleet composition. Maybe the cockpit visibility would swing me? Shields seem weak in the build I ran through Coriolis, but I saw a post on the ED forums where a guy had his Krait at 1800 mj. I like shield tanks.

The Phantom? What's it for?

The Alliance ships are essentially variants of the Chieftain, which didn't light my fire before I sold it. If the Chieftain is a Honda Civic LX, then the Crusader is the EX and the Challenger's the SI. Just variations of the same thing. Or is that way off base?

Mamba? What's it good for? Jousting? I have a FDL. The Mamba is like a FDL but faster and less agile? No offset driver's seat and better hardpoint placement? C3 hardpoints so you can mount certain restricted weapons? Jousting sucks anyway.

JC I get your reasoning. The only ship I have a SLF in now I think is the Keelback, and that's for joyriding. I don't intentionally fly a Keelback in combat. Maybe I should explore this more. I never hired a NPC as I didn't want to split my space ducats. For picking stuff up I just scoop it. I don't use limpets aside from certain CGs like the one where we were gathering escape pods or whatever it was.

Now I say this as a person who gave up mining for good after mining one whole nugget. I flew back to the station and sold all the mining equipment, never to be used again! That is until they reworked mining and people seem to like it. I saw a post where a guy was flying a Cutter and had 320 Void Opals (whatever they are) and they were sold for 531 million! Good grief. Plus I don't have an armor engineer unlocked yet, and so maybe I should try the new mining (and would use limpets for this of course)

Maybe I'll stay the course for a bit and rank up with the Imps to finally get a Cutter. Don't need one, but need a ship goal. Open for suggestions haha!

I really wanted to be blown away by a new ship. Not happening.

#4464587 - 03/08/19 08:29 PM Re: The New Ships? [Re: DBond]  
theOden Offline
theOden  Offline

was that ObsidianAnt with the opals maybe?
I enjoy watching his escapades in space and try to learn how to get better.
Still working in my Cobra Mk3 that Ice so elegantly helped me afford.

Tried bounty the other day and got a big hole in my window and didn't make it back to a station in time and died from lack of oxygen.

Weird how i suck at all games I want to enjoy smile

#4464597 - 03/08/19 09:10 PM Re: The New Ships? [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
No it was this guy.

That is some serious money. Don't know what had to be done to acquire such a haul, but that's a lot of money for one sale.

Gotta work on those shields. Canopy won't pop if the shields are still functioning.

#4464611 - 03/08/19 10:54 PM Re: The New Ships? [Re: DBond]  
JohnnyChemo Offline
JohnnyChemo  Offline

Buffalo, NY
I think the Krait has better visibility than the Python, though I do like my Python for core mining. There are those who tout the Krait in that role, but I prefer
the Python - I think it has the capacity for more cargo. I have 192 tons of space in mine, I remember not finding a build for the Krait that could match that.
It's also cheaper IIRC, so there's that.

Core mining is pretty cool, I have to admit. Normal mining looked boring to me too, this is quite good.
Best haul I had was around 250m I think. Void opals are king of the hill, but low temperature diamonds aren't bad either.
If you do this, check with Inara for the best places to sell. Void opals should go for about 1.6m per, diamonds were over 1m, maybe 1.2 or so.

I have to confess, when I got my Krait I didn't realize I could just scoop up the loot, I thought I had to get collectors. This was after learning core mining,
so collectors are pretty much a must. You are in tight quarters - sometimes just maneuvering to shoot the hotspots on the rocks bounces you off them.
Of course, they are a lot quicker too, so that helps.

I think the Krait Phantom is supposed to be more stealthy so it can be used as a smuggling ship.

Imperial ships are sexy, no doubt but I want a 'vette too, so I'm currently grinding Fed rank on and off.
Station rescue missions are awesome for ranking too, btw. I usually stack around 8-10 missions of bulk passengers and one run takes about 15 minutes. I take high rep
rewards as much as possible and that boosts the % nicely.

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.
This is known as "bad luck.”
-Robert Heinlein
#4464616 - 03/08/19 11:47 PM Re: The New Ships? [Re: JohnnyChemo]  
Bohemond Offline
Bohemond  Offline

Albuquerque, NM
Of the “new” ships, the only keeper for me is the Krait MKII. Had a Challenger that basically just sat lonely in port once I picked up the Krait. Finally stripped it out and sold it. I really wanted a Mamba until a squadmate said not to bother since all it really offers is straight line speed and a huge HP.
My fleet is small but fully engineered:
DBX “Rocinante” - taxi
Krait MKII “ Gneisenau” - medium combat and utility
Python “George Michael” - combat capable freighter and utility
Federal Corvette “Goeben” - kill em all combat and heavy hauler

#4464617 - 03/08/19 11:49 PM Re: The New Ships? [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Yes, the visibility is the thing that's selling me on it. I love the Python, it's just so useful. And looks fantastic, and fully engineered is a beast. But the overhead visibility is crap, and I spend so much time flying inverted, around stations anyway, to look out of the top of the canopy. Just cannot do it in the Python, and for me dockside ops are more tedious as a result. I know I am not alone in putting pit visibility at the top of the wanted features list when it comes to evaluating whips smile

From what I can tell not having owned it yet, the Krait II is downright Lakonian in cockpit design. That's a big plus. And surely it's more effective in combat than a Python right? Faster, more agile? Same firepower? Those shields though.....

It would only cost me a few million if I were to hate it and want to sell it. I'll kick it around a bit longer. I see that the internals are a close match for the Python so a good test can be done fairly quickly with some module swapping.

I can't believe you made 250 million mining. Wow. That's serious bank. How long did the trip take start to finish? And yes, the proximity to space rocks while mining is the reason I said I would opt for limpets. I don't use them for scooping stuff up in combat, or USSs or that sort of thing. Mostly because I want to use that limpet slot for something else. It's an opportunity cost thing. A little more effort to scoop it up of course, but it's easy enough in most of my ships. I get the occasional miss and the flotsam bounces off and I have to chase it down. But usually it's routine. In amongst the rocks though it makes sense to let the limpets minionate for you.

#4464619 - 03/08/19 11:57 PM Re: The New Ships? [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Thanks Bohemond, that reinforces what I was thinking.

I have some ships named after WW2 ships too. My Python is Takao, and the Courier is Defiance. Vulture is Wasp, but not after the carrier I'd reckon smile

What's the story behind the George Michael?

Which of your ships do you like best for BH?

#4464620 - 03/09/19 12:01 AM Re: The New Ships? [Re: DBond]  
Bohemond Offline
Bohemond  Offline

Albuquerque, NM
The Krait is awesome in combat. Think a better vis and more maneuverable Python. Mine has around 1350mj in shields with room for improvement if I go heavy duty on the shield boosters instead of resistance augmented and swap out the generator for a Prismatic. Haven’t do so yet because I like my 40ly jump range. As far as weapons, I run 3 fixed large beams and 2 Imperial Hammers in the medium slots. If you like medium ship combat, I can’t recommend the Krait enough.

#4464622 - 03/09/19 12:07 AM Re: The New Ships? [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Which shield? I tend to go Bi-Weave on my combat ships.

I think you sold me on it. I can live with shields like that.

#4464623 - 03/09/19 12:08 AM Re: The New Ships? [Re: DBond]  
Bohemond Offline
Bohemond  Offline

Albuquerque, NM
Originally Posted by DBond
Thanks Bohemond, that reinforces what I was thinking.

I have some ships named after WW2 ships too. My Python is Takao, and the Courier is Defiance. Vulture is Wasp, but not after the carrier I'd reckon smile

What's the story behind the George Michael?

Which of your ships do you like best for BH?

Renamed the Python after my girlfriend was breaking my stones about havin “Freedom” on my iPod mixed in with all the Iron Maiden, Motörhead, etc. That’ll teach her, eh?

#4464625 - 03/09/19 12:20 AM Re: The New Ships? [Re: Bohemond]  
Bohemond Offline
Bohemond  Offline

Albuquerque, NM
As for bounty hunting, I generally run the ‘vette nowadays. My newest ship gets the most use. 2 huge gimballed beams, 2 medium gimballed beam, 2 turreted small beams, and either a large seeker missile rack or torp pylon. Prismatic shields and 7 boosters net me around 6335mj with a little room for improvement once I finish grade 5-ing the last few boosters. The only drawback is that the shields take forever to regenerate even with the fast charge experimental. And SCB’s are a not really worth it to me and don’t recharge all that much.

#4464626 - 03/09/19 12:26 AM Re: The New Ships? [Re: DBond]  
Bohemond Offline
Bohemond  Offline

Albuquerque, NM
quote=DBond]Which shield? I tend to go Bi-Weave on my combat ships.

I think you sold me on it. I can live with shields like that.[/quote]
6A regular generator with reinforced grade 5 and hi cap. I’ve got Prismatic 6A in storage, but haven’t engineered it yet. Not sure if I want to take the agility hit by mounting it on the Krait.

#4464639 - 03/09/19 02:39 AM Re: The New Ships? [Re: DBond]  
WingNuts01 Offline
WingNuts01  Offline

Huntington Beach, CA
OK I'll chime in as well. Krait mkII is absolutely great. It can be engineered into a good combat ship, as BOHEMOND can attest to. I've got 4 of them 1) primary combat, 2) mining, 3) bubble jumper (though my ASP Ex will to 5ly more in jumps) and 4) Thargoid hunting. I run 3 Large Frags and 2 beams (1 has regeneration mod) and let me tell ya those Frags with standard amo will kill stuff dam quick.

My ship progression something like this;
Sidewinder
Cobra mkIII
Vulture
Asp Explorer
FAS
Python
Chieftain
Challenger
Krait mkII
Mamba, sold it a couple of days after I bought it. It gust sucked in combat for me and yes it was fully engineered.
Imperial Courier
Anaconda I tried and sold it the same day I bought it. Didn't like the big ship.

Now money isn't everything, however it does allow you to experiment with different ships and configuration more often. Get yourself into deep core mining those Void Opels to increase that bank account. Actually I kinda feel those Opels have broken the game. Several commanders went from 0 to Elite within a few weeks doing that. Most of us are around TS weekends if you need assistance.

Wiingy

i5-2500K @4.3gh
Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
16gb Mushkin PC3 1600
EVGA 760 4gb DDR5 2768 KR
CoolerMaster 922 Mesh 3x200mm, 2x140mm fans
CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO
WD Caviar BLK 500gb SATA 6gb
WD Caviar BLK 1TB SATA 6gb
Intel 730 Series 480GB SATA 6gb
OCZ ZX-850 Gold
Lite-On DVD Burner
27" Samsung 2770FH
Warthog #11118 Woot!!!
Sennheiser 360 Headphones
#4464695 - 03/09/19 02:14 PM Re: The New Ships? [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Nice fleet, you still have all of them? Or have you sold some off?

6A regular generator with reinforced grade 5 and hi cap.

Thanks man. Wasn't able to approach your figures myself. Just yet.

Hopped on after work and decided to get a Krait II. Flew the DBX to Tranquility for the LYR discount. That lowered the cost to 39 million. Of course Tranquility doesn't have any of the A-rated modules the Krait needs. But my Python does! So I flew the DBX back home and whistled for the Krait to the tune of 320k. Beats having to fly an E-rated Krait all the way home (10 jump range!)

While it was enroute, I swapped to the Python and stripped it of everything. I know it sounds silly, but this was a little traumatic. I had to force myself to do it, felt like I was putting a dog down. Stupid since I'm only mothballing it, but that's sentimentality for ya. smile

When the Krait arrived after 21 minutes I put all that Python stuff in the Krait. Pretty much a straight swap of everything. Power plant is 6A OC'd. G5 Dirty Drags and all the rest of the core internals are engineered so a mostly instant engineered Krait. Not custom tailored, but good enough to give the ship a proper test,

Performance and shields were my main concern. The shields I used are bog standard 6A G5 Reinforced with Fast Charge. With boosters I got it to 950 mj. Good enough for PvE but I will need to push it further for PvP. The main issue is that my boosters are a mishmash of all the experimenting I've done, and only one was G5 (heavy duty E). So clearly I can get it over 1000 mj with more focused engineering. But how do you get 1300? Are you using the Guardian shield booster things Bohemond? Care to share your build? Anyone else care to share? A Coriolis build would be great, especially shield tank builds

My thoughts on the Krait II.

Not much of a looker I must say. Some folks praise the aesthetics, but it's lost on me. Millenium Falcon-ish. Triggers the nostalgia, but doesn't really appeal to me. The odd cockpit location is part of this. But looks can be deceiving.

The cockpit, as mentioned, is awesome. I said 'downright Lakonian' earlier, and having now sat in it, that is spot on. Really nice view with lower cockpit panes like the Asp-X. Overhead visibility is good, and important to me as mentioned. The nacelles or whatever you might call them do block some of the view in the upper left and right quadrants, but in the main the view is excellent, especially for a combat ship.

Performance with the G5 dirty drags is good. Won't blow your socks off, but good. Better than the Python. I loaded the ship down with Reinforced bulkheads plus some HRP and MRP, enough to bring integrity to around 1200. Even with the weight, I was getting four-pip top speed of 401 with boost of 555, both of which exceed my Python. Not by a lot, but certainly faster, and anyway my Python was not sporting the additional hull and module protection. Stripped of these, the Krait would be even faster.

Internals are really nice. Plenty of them and good size. Lots of versatility built in to this design. Could be used for just about anything. Again, very Python-like, plus a fighter. Even has four utility slots like the Python.

Using a G5 Mass Manager FSD I was getting 30 jump. Gotta learn how Bohemond is getting 40. Guardian tech?

Hardpoints are excellent. I prefer having all hardpoints above the waterline so I can bring all weapons to bear in lag pursuit (gimbals). All three class 3 hardpoints are on top and the two class 2 hardpoints are either side of the cockpit, more or less 'on' the waterline. Seems a versatile weapons platform that could support just about any combination. In this case I used all the weapons from the Python. Two G3 Efficient Pulse Lasers were installed topside outboard, and two G3 Overcharged Autoloader multicannons were installed either side of the cockpit. The pièce de résistance is my class 3 G5 Overcharged Autoloader MC which went in the center topside hardpoint. This gun is awesome.

Convergence is really nice. I had no trouble blowing ships up fast with this arrangement. Multicannons firing either side of the pit is really cool.

Handling is good. It's a little more agile and a little faster than the Python making it a better choice for combat even if protection (shields and hull) on the Krait is slightly inferior. It all comes down to outfitting, but configured identically, the Krait has the advantage in performance, handling and hardpoints in my view.

The Krait sounds suck. It's silent most of the time, and the boost sound is meh. Thrusters have a sound like another ship dive bombing you or something. Not impressed with how it sounds.

One thing that struck me is that even with the undersized power plant (which I use in virtually every ship) I still had a big power overhead, meaning the ship can support lots of additional whizbangs.

In combat I found it responsive enough. the excellent view and good speed is great, and the weapons hit really hard at convergence. This ship can and will dominate any PvE combat instance. In all it was a favorable test and I will keep it for now. It overlaps in my fleet, but that's OK. At some point, when you have a bunch of ships, this is inevitable. The beauty of it lies in it's versatility, it's ability to handle any role and do it well. A good mission runner. A jack of all trades, master of none sort of ship.

#4464700 - 03/09/19 03:00 PM Re: The New Ships? [Re: DBond]  
Bohemond Offline
Bohemond  Offline

Albuquerque, NM
Oh yeah, forgot to mention that. A 5H Guardian FSD booster and a 4E Guardian Shield booster. If you are on Inara, u should be able to check out my builds Utumno is my ign.

Last edited by Bohemond; 03/09/19 03:03 PM.
#4464702 - 03/09/19 03:26 PM Re: The New Ships? [Re: DBond]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
That would 'splain it. I started looking in to how to unlock the tech brokers. All of that is new for me.

I checked your build on Inara. Your poor Sidey has no name biggrin

I see you are using a beast of a PP. Are you using it all up with that build? Inara shows me what modules you have but not any of the stuff like speed, power usage, integrity and shield strength like Coriolis does.

Your stored modules value is impressive smile

Last edited by DBond; 03/09/19 03:35 PM.

#4464704 - 03/09/19 03:35 PM Re: The New Ships? [Re: DBond]  
Bohemond Offline
Bohemond  Offline

Albuquerque, NM
Wingy is the guy for that. He helped me out in that endeavor. Much easier to do with two.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.