Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4463208 - 02/27/19 12:13 PM I enjoy it, but questions...  
Claymatzi Offline
Claymatzi  Offline

Old time flight simmer here...
I really enjoy the game. I haven't been this excited since Lucasarts, Their Finest Hour (that was a game), but I have a couple of questions for the team.
Does the game simulate auto pitch for the 109's? I understand that auto mixture for the DB engine can be set to auto mixture in the workshop, but unsure about auto pitch.
Also, I noticed a problem with staying in a Hurricane formation while using auto mixture. Can't seem to keep up, but when I go manual, everything's fine (using same pitch settings).
I know it's early in the game development, but is there a manual out? Things like, what does the 'wingman' next to the pilots name on the flight board mean? Of course, I understand what a wingman does, but I'm only a pilot officer and the wingman is usually a flight officer with 4-5 kills. Maybe it represents who I'M the wingman of?
Speaking of manual, it would be nice to know exactly where I'm supposed to be in formation. I've figured it out I believe, but would like a little more clarification. Sometimes I'm number 4 in a 6 man lineup and my position is lead of the 2nd Vic in the flight. Does this mean I have control over that Vic?

Listen, I really love this game. Perfect step after Flanders Fields. This is the only flight sim that I can remember ever wanting to fly in formation. The AI is that good.

Clay

P.S.Hurry up with the Spitfire! I'm starting to like the Hurricane too much.

Last edited by Claymatzi; 02/27/19 01:15 PM.
#4463223 - 02/27/19 02:58 PM Re: I enjoy it, but questions... [Re: Claymatzi]  
Trooper117 Offline
Hotshot
Trooper117  Offline
Hotshot

UK
You have to manually alter the E4's prop pitch I'm afraid, this point has been raised and the dev's are aware of it... whether it will eventually be sorted, no one knows.
Don't use auto mixture on the Hurri, again you will have to manually alter it as your flight climbs to altitude.
If you want a quick way to find out your position in the flight, quickly go to auto pilot and the plane will make it's way into formation... you will know before it get's there as you will see an obvious space.
You can then switch back to normal flight.

#4463225 - 02/27/19 03:06 PM Re: I enjoy it, but questions... [Re: Trooper117]  
Claymatzi Offline
Claymatzi  Offline

Thanks for the reply. I know it's a work in progress.

#4463252 - 02/27/19 05:47 PM Re: I enjoy it, but questions... [Re: Claymatzi]  
Polovski Offline
Polovski  Offline

Hotshot

Glad you are enjoying it.

There is so much in there that a full manual would be several 100 pages long, and a 2 man team can only do so much.

E4 Prop pitch as Trooper says, and currently we cannot alter it.

Wingman means he is your wingman i.e he is usually on your wing.
Otherwise you would have wingman on your name wink

If you turn on TAC you will see exactly where you are meant to be in formation if you can't work ity out. There's a red line that points to your location (and you can zoom in to see clearly). After take off on form up the TAC also has information on where you are supposed to head to get into formation, or as above switch auto pilot on for a few moments and you will see where it is heading.

Regards,

Polovski,
OBD Software, developers of immersive flight sims;
Wings Over Flanders Fields and Wings Over The Reich
http://www.overflandersfields.com
http://www.wingsoverthereich.com
#4463262 - 02/27/19 07:03 PM Re: I enjoy it, but questions... [Re: Polovski]  
Claymatzi Offline
Claymatzi  Offline

Ok
Thank you for replying.

#4463297 - 02/27/19 10:22 PM Re: I enjoy it, but questions... [Re: Claymatzi]  
77_Scout Offline
77_Scout  Offline

Vancouver Island, Canada
Originally Posted by Claymatzi
it would be nice to know exactly where I'm supposed to be in formation. I've figured it out I believe, but would like a little more clarification. Sometimes I'm number 4 in a 6 man lineup and my position is lead of the 2nd Vic in the flight. Does this mean I have control over that Vic?

You position in the flight is easy to figure out once you see what number you are in the flight list. The first Vic has plane 1 at the lead with planes 2 and 3 behind and to the left and right respectively. The second Vic had planes 4 to 6 in the same order (4 at the point and 5 and 6 behind and to the left and right).

If you are plane 4 I am pretty sure you do NOT lead the second Vic. In my experience, if you fly out of formation, planes 5 and 6 will not follow you and will simply stay in formation following the first Vic. (I hope this gets tweeked in the future).

Despite what Pol says (and obviously he should know better than me) I have found no significance to the 'wingman' designation. I have never seen the 'wingman' guy stay with me, he simply flies off and does his own thing during a dogfight. Maybe others can chime in with their own experiences.

Last edited by 77_Scout; 02/27/19 10:23 PM.
#4463319 - 02/28/19 01:33 AM Re: I enjoy it, but questions... [Re: 77_Scout]  
Claymatzi Offline
Claymatzi  Offline

I agree with you about the 'wingman'--thats what was so confusing. I think the roles should be reversed. If you are a new pilot, you should be the wingman. I have no problem sticking to someone like glue in this game. The AI is that good. The whole wingman thing threw me off. Once you gain rank and experience, you should either move up to number 4, in charge of the second Vic, or the number one position, in charge of the whole flight.
During one mission, I distinctly remember the 2nd Vic loitering up above, as the first Vic engaged. Maybe I was seeing things, but it seemed they were waiting.
Speaking of formations, as a new pilot in 1st Squadron, one time we flew out in a line abreast formation with one aircraft at the rear of us. At first I thought maybe I knocked someone out of position, but I'm leaning more towards flight leader skill base deciding on a formation(?). During the real battle, that rear pilot was there to watch over everyone's tail and usually the first to get it.
Again, maybe I'm seeing things...

I keep coming back and adding to this. Lol...

In my mind, the key to success in this game is the squadron, the formation. Everything should revolve around the German schwarm, or the English Vic. The AI is good enough that you want to find out where they take you. Stuff like manually controlling pitch in an E4 is secondary too me. It's all about the experience. The game should revolve e around the AI. That's why I'm here. I'm tired of s-itty ai in other flight games.
Peace

Last edited by Claymatzi; 02/28/19 02:12 AM.

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
CD WOFF
by Britisheh. 03/28/24 08:05 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.