Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#4463228 - 02/27/19 03:12 PM True  
Bill_Grant Offline
Hotshot
Bill_Grant  Offline
Hotshot

Dallas, TX
Could have happened to me.... I don't really remember.

Attached Files Monkeys.png

~Bill

In my defense, I was left unsupervised...
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4463229 - 02/27/19 03:13 PM Re: True [Re: Bill_Grant]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
I never yelled at my dad. My mom however......

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4463230 - 02/27/19 03:23 PM Re: True [Re: Bill_Grant]  
rwatson Offline
Hotshot
rwatson  Offline
Hotshot

New Concord, Ohio
Another winner Bill..I was always in foster homes but knew it wouldn't be a smart idea to shoot my mouth off to any of them

Russ
Semper Fi
#4463233 - 02/27/19 03:28 PM Re: True [Re: Bill_Grant]  
Bill_Grant Offline
Hotshot
Bill_Grant  Offline
Hotshot

Dallas, TX
I found out that yelling at Mom got a visit from Dad.... yikes!
Therefore, it was a "1 and done" event.

~Bill

In my defense, I was left unsupervised...
#4463237 - 02/27/19 03:38 PM Re: True [Re: Bill_Grant]  
WangoTango Offline
Hotshot
WangoTango  Offline
Hotshot

Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted by Bill_Grant
I found out that yelling at Mom got a visit from Dad.... yikes!
Therefore, it was a "1 and done" event.

My Mom's tactic was raising her voice while arguing with me " WHAT DO YOU MEAN....!? " here comes Dad to the rescue. He wouldn't even listen to my side.

#4463238 - 02/27/19 03:38 PM Re: True [Re: Bill_Grant]  
Alicatt Offline
Hotshot
Alicatt  Offline
Hotshot

Ice Cold in Alex or Eating in ...
Never heard my mum raise her voice to my dad, and only once did I hear my dad raise his voice to my mum and that was after she "parked" the car on top of a hedge, but it was more that he was relieved that she, my brother and myself were ok. They were married for 32 years when my father passed away.

Yelled at my brother a few times and he has done the same back … a few fisticuffs along the way too, it was only once we became adults that we actually got along … that was after a day we nearly killed each other, I had laid him out and was frightened I had done serious damage but as I approached him he got up and his face was purple going towards black with rage … I got a pasting and ended up seriously hurt, bed ridden for 2 weeks, the doctor told my brother that he had nearly killed me, he gave up boxing after that. We did spar occasionally after that but we always wore gloves after that day.

Chlanna nan con thigibh a so's gheibh sibh feoil
Sons of the hound come here and get flesh
Clan Cameron
#4463239 - 02/27/19 03:46 PM Re: True [Re: Bill_Grant]  
WangoTango Offline
Hotshot
WangoTango  Offline
Hotshot

Ontario, Canada
#%&*$# Alicatt.
I never hit my Dad, I couldn't bring myself to do it. We had "fights", he would punch me, but it got to the point where I could overpower and restrain him, when I was 18. It's a sad day when you realize your stronger than your Dad.
Now, me and my son ? Yeah we have fought. He is 17, taller and stronger than me. He has serious mental health and addiction issues. He is a punk. He was the nicest polite caring kid, a jock. But the car accident in July 2016 changed him forever. Some might recall him writing off my wife's car. I shared it in a thread here. There have been not many ups and way more downs in our home since then.

Last edited by WangoTango; 02/27/19 03:48 PM.
#4463240 - 02/27/19 03:47 PM Re: True [Re: Bill_Grant]  
WangoTango Offline
Hotshot
WangoTango  Offline
Hotshot

Ontario, Canada
Seriously ? "d@mn" is censored ?

#4463246 - 02/27/19 04:45 PM Re: True [Re: Bill_Grant]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Yeah, this censorship happened not that long ago. I just use "dam." smile

++++++++++

Growing up, my dad was an ass, but at least he owns up to it now (and his father was an even much bigger ass, so it kinda makes sense, I guess). Nobody cared when my grandfather (his father) died. I mean, *nobody*. Why either wanted children, I have no idea. But my father had mellowed out by the time I was leaving home at 18 (technically I still had a room in parent's home until I was married at 20).

My father and I are more than cool today (my parents live in an adjoining apartment addition to our home). I continue to learn a lot from him regarding construction and gardening and stuff like that, lots of DIY projects that I would have never tried to tackle on my own. I know how to design, he knows how to build...great combination.

He doesn't kayak or ride his motorcycle as much anymore, but still stays active, loves to fish the pond. He controls his mild diabetes with low dosage Metformin, diet and exercise. Was once a heavy smoker and drinker but stopped in his 30's, I think.

Pics...

1. Family in 1977, father had no waist and big guns (mom taking picture).
2. Kept physique into his 40's (weights, speedbag, jump rope etc.).
3. Wife did her part to soften him up (parents have always adored her, they get along great).
4. Now at 80, still stays in shape for his age.

Attached Files DSCF4571.JPG9Remodeling 1.jpgDad_Wife.JPGHouston_00.jpg

The rusty wire that holds the cork that keeps the anger in
Gives way and suddenly it’s day again
The sun is in the east
Even though the day is done
Two suns in the sunset, hmph
Could be the human race is run
#4463268 - 02/27/19 07:30 PM Re: True [Re: WangoTango]  
Alicatt Offline
Hotshot
Alicatt  Offline
Hotshot

Originally Posted by WangoTango
#%&*$# Alicatt.
I never hit my Dad,

I have never hit mine either, tho I had been put across his knee a few times when I was younger biggrin

I was attacked by a couple of youths, I was about 8 years old, they were in their late teens early 20s, they had followed the kids from next door home from the railway station on Guy Fawkes night, in the dark they grabbed me and dragged me away. My father missed me and the kids from next door raised the alarm saying that the two youths had grabbed me. Well my father found me just in time thank goodness, the two youths fought against my father but my father smacked one with his forearm and laid him out, the other youth grabbed my father from behind and I heard the crack of the guy's arm as he went flying over my dad's shoulder and landed hard on the ground.

My younger brother was a junior boxing champion at 14 and 15, but as he was so tall and well built there was nobody in his class except for one fat kid from Edinburgh that was in the same weight class, my brother was over 6ft at 14 and 6'2" at 15, he weighed in at 192lbs. Tenants Caledonian had sponsored a boxing tournament in Wick and they had taken this kid up from Edinburgh to fight against my brother. My brother was in the ring first and waiting for the challenger to come in, when he did the challenger's trainer took one look at Derek and threw the towel in the ring and said "I'm nae putting ma wee boy in the ring wi yon animal".

So my brother got to put on an exhibition match with the senior county champion, my brother knocked him out in 30 seconds of the first round. Derek's subsequent matches usually lasted about 15 to 20 seconds and only one or two punches before his opponent was knocked out. He got a lot of offers to go and be a professional boxer but he had his sights set on the oil rigs.

The incident on the day we had the fight he had been pestering me and then hit me, so I put him in a choke hold until he fainted, that's when the real trouble started I never got out the room, and got stuck in the doorway and he gave me a few good punches to my kidneys, I was pissing blood for a while, my ribs were bruised and it was more than a day before I could straighten my back. He was 15 and I was 18 at the time.

Clan Cameron
#4463269 - 02/27/19 07:33 PM Re: True [Re: Bill_Grant]  
WangoTango Offline
Hotshot
WangoTango  Offline
Hotshot

Ontario, Canada
You are lucky to have your Dad around Mark. It is wonderful that old grudges can be healed. Women do have a way of helping keep families together.

#4463270 - 02/27/19 07:33 PM Re: True [Re: Bill_Grant]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Wow, Alicatt. Thanks for sharing those great stories!!! At first glance it seems like growing up in Scotland in the 1950's and 1960's was pretty rough! biggrin

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4463291 - 02/27/19 10:08 PM Re: True [Re: WangoTango]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
You are lucky to have your Dad around Mark. It is wonderful that old grudges can be healed. Women do have a way of helping keep families together.

So true. When my wife and I have a slight disagreement (don't remember the last time we had a real fight), mom is quick to let dad know they need to stay out of it (of course he'd never take my side, even on the rare occasion I might be right). smile

So bless the women in my family, also smarter with money. Not that I would ever do something so stupid and inconsiderate as what my father did to my mother once, trading her car for a Harley without her knowing (true story). But we're old and wise enough now to know in which areas the females usually show more common sense. smile They've never done us wrong (and parents have been married for over 60 years).

The sun is in the east
#4463295 - 02/27/19 10:13 PM Re: True [Re: Bill_Grant]  
Zamzow Offline
Zamzow  Offline

My dad started beating me black and blue (literally, not metaphorically) before I was even 2.

So yeah I definitely yelled at him, almost as much as he yelled.

Had he not died of cancer at 37 I honestly believe I would have eventually killed him.

I didn't shed a single tear at his funeral - until I heard my grandmother wail, THAT did choke me up...

#4463296 - 02/27/19 10:17 PM Re: True [Re: Bill_Grant]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
I understand, Zamzow (but not *that* early).

The sun is in the east
#4463328 - 02/28/19 03:19 AM Re: True [Re: Bill_Grant]  
WangoTango Offline
Hotshot
WangoTango  Offline
Hotshot

Ontario, Canada
Man. maybe we need a therapy forum here.

#4463341 - 02/28/19 08:17 AM Re: True [Re: Bill_Grant]  
Alicatt Offline
Hotshot
Alicatt  Offline
Hotshot

All in all I had a good and happy childhood, there were bumps along the way and a few times I thought my number was up only to manage to come through it, sometimes with help and sometimes on my own, I know my brother and I fought like cats and dogs but that was together, nobody could come between us, we have both stood up for the other on many occasions, just we were not really friends until later.

When I hear what my wife has to say about her childhood and how it influenced her decisions I shudder in horror, and it is not just her saying it, I have heard the same stories from her friends and sisters, even today she only looks after her father out of duty not love, and it was the same with her mother, she did not know to be happy or sad when she passed away, it really conflicted in her as it did in her sisters too.

Last night I was ready to throw the guy out after what he had been saying to my wife, then we found out he had been making the same accusations to his youngest daughter and husband a few days ago and the son-in-law was ready to hit him. He cannot do those things to me as he does not know either enough English or me enough Dutch, he does try tho but I feign ignorance and "ik verstand gi neit" I don't understand you smile

Clan Cameron
#4463342 - 02/28/19 08:23 AM Re: True [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Alicatt Offline
Hotshot
Alicatt  Offline
Hotshot

Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer
Wow, Alicatt. Thanks for sharing those great stories!!! At first glance it seems like growing up in Scotland in the 1950's and 1960's was pretty rough! biggrin

It had it's moments biggrin living in an area where there was a strict demarcation between Catholic and Protestants there could be err trouble, even the schools had different hours so the kids would not meet on the streets. It's not so bad now but even in the 90s a protestant would not walk willingly into a catholic bar in Glasgow.

In the 60s the local council seemed hell bent on ripping the heart out of the community, even now it is still hovering on the edge of recovery and going to ruin, it forced a lot of enterprising people to leave and set up elsewhere, as we did.

Clan Cameron
#4463375 - 02/28/19 03:11 PM Re: True [Re: WangoTango]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
Man. maybe we need a therapy forum here.

Attached Files th.jpg

The sun is in the east
#4463377 - 02/28/19 03:32 PM Re: True [Re: Bill_Grant]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
I'm now going to say a couple of nice things about my father... smile

Even in those days he provided for his family (although mom also worked once I [the youngest by 5 years] started school), more than can be said of his own father who was a skilled machinist. Dad was a high school dropout (if he even made it to HS), went back and got his GED. He worked many menial/hard labor jobs (oil platforms to river barges, then working under other grandfather [mom's father] painting houses). He retired as a self-employed sheetrock finisher/painter, known in local community as being very trustworthy and very good at what he does, popular especially among the well-to-do's. A lazy person he has never been.

Also, give him a weekend alone in the bayous in his canoe with just a tent and sleeping bag, his dog (at the time) and his .22 and he'll come back with interesting stories. If there was ever a situation that he'd have to live off the land in the primitive outdoors, he could quickly adapt. And it's obvious that I admire the way he takes care of himself and his current physical fitness as an elderly man. His grandmother lived to be just shy of 100, I guess that's what he's shooting for.

The sun is in the east
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.