Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#4462776 - 02/24/19 02:26 PM Re: OT: Mother Passed [Re: CaptSopwith]  
Blade_Meister Offline
Blade_Meister  Offline

Atlanta, GA, USA
Very sorry to learn of this CaptSopwith. Praying for comfort and Peace for you and your family.

S!Blade<><

#4462780 - 02/24/19 02:37 PM Re: OT: Mother Passed [Re: CaptSopwith]  
Hasse Offline
Hasse  Offline

I'm very sorry to hear about your loss. It is always a hard blow to lose the person who gave you your life.

"Upon my word I've had as much excitement on a car as in the air, especially since the R.F.C. have had women drivers."

James McCudden, Five Years in the Royal Flying Corps
#4462789 - 02/24/19 03:37 PM Re: OT: Mother Passed [Re: CaptSopwith]  
Fullofit Offline
Fullofit  Offline

Ajax, ON
Sorry to hear about your Mom, Soppy. Mine left just over a year ago. You’ll get through it, trust me.

"Take the cylinder out of my kidneys,
The connecting rod out of my brain, my brain,
From out of my arse take the camshaft,
And assemble the engine again."
#4462802 - 02/24/19 04:49 PM Re: OT: Mother Passed [Re: CaptSopwith]  
CaptSopwith Offline
Barmy WingNut
CaptSopwith  Offline
Barmy WingNut

United States
Gents, I don't know what to say to say thank you. I opened up the forums today and was floored by all of the messages - not only of support, but of empathy for having experienced something similar. So many names that are a comfort to see - Robert, Lou, Dutch, Sandbagger, Hellshade, Mat, and so many other members I've gotten to know. It helps more than I can say. Keeping this hobby alive in a way maintains the connection with my mom. I'm also digging through Spotify and connecting with music I haven't thought of since I was a kid. The Pretenders, The Police, Men at Work (my mother was of the MTV generation) and It's also nice to listen through those records again and connect. You guys are right, you do remember the funniest and most random things that your brain hasn't accessed in decades. Thank you so much for being here. I hope that in the midst of the insanity of this year that I can finally, finally get back to his hobby I love so much and post some more missions as time goes on. Was hoping to dive into WOTR but it sounds like I'll need to scrape some pennies and finally upgrade this video card of mine. Sounds silly, but even that reminds me of my family growing up. We were a Dell family from our first computer on and man if there's not a pattern here - a solid system with a weak video card that I eventually upgrade! Twenty years ago I scraped together money mowing lawns to get a 3DFX Voodoo 3000 (the box is still in my house somewhere). I guess this time it'll be a 970 or something similar? Something about the cyclical nature of flight simming somehow feels comforting.

Brains are weird places to be.

But this community continues to astound me with its warmth, friendship, and empathy.

Thank you guys. So much.

#4462835 - 02/24/19 08:11 PM Re: OT: Mother Passed [Re: CaptSopwith]  
Shredward Offline
Shredward  Offline

Lake Louise, AB Canada
Cap’n
I feel your pain - I lost my Mom four years ago. This will eventually diminish, as it did with me, though it still hurts that I can’t talk to her , show her my love, be with her. She is never far from my thoughts, and I still feel her presence. She lives on in me, as will yours in you. I know you’ve made her proud
Ted

We will remember them.
#4462851 - 02/24/19 10:10 PM Re: OT: Mother Passed [Re: CaptSopwith]  
BuckeyeBob Offline
BuckeyeBob  Offline

Ohio, USA
Capt.,

I am very sorry to hear of your loss. We share a bit in common, both the good and the bad. The good is that I too, got my start flight simming with RB2. I purchased it just before the 3D patch and have never looked back. I also lurked at the Delphi forum, and I seem to recall your name. I had no idea how young you were at the time!

The bad is that I also lost my mother at a relatively young age (65), from cancer, almost 20 years ago. I still think of her almost every day, as I am sure you will with your mother, too. She sounds like she was a wonderful mom. I know she must be very proud of you.

Bob

“With Major Lawrence, mercy is a passion. With me it is merely good manners. You may judge which motive is the more reliable.”
#4462871 - 02/25/19 01:32 AM Re: OT: Mother Passed [Re: CaptSopwith]  
Mr_Dirt Offline
Mr_Dirt  Offline

Missouri USA
Sorry for your loss Cap no amount of sorry can make up for your loss, but she is in a happier place where there are no struggles. I too lost my mother several years back, it was hard because we had not gotten along for several years. My sisters felt I was not doing enough for her and she took their sides. I was there just before she passed and the only words that passed was she ask me if she was dying and I had to be the one to tell her yes she was, but I also got to tell her how sorry I was that we had wasted the last years of her life in anger. I miss her and my father who passed years before. The grief will really never leave but the good memories will also be there in times of need. Prayers and good wishes for you and your Father.
John

#4462880 - 02/25/19 03:14 AM Re: OT: Mother Passed [Re: CaptSopwith]  
kentcol Offline
kentcol  Offline

Seguin, TX, USA
Prayers my friend. My mom passed on February 4th.

#4462899 - 02/25/19 11:24 AM Re: OT: Mother Passed [Re: CaptSopwith]  
matmilne Offline
matmilne  Offline

UK
Whilst you're digging through spotify there...I got a new album out band

ITunes https://itunes.apple.com/us/artist/matt-milne/1301047345
Spotify https://open.spotify.com/album/4HohtzSKX5P5lz885y3BPu
Amazon https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07NVS3WBV/ref=dm_ws_sp_ps_dp

Demo Reel https://soundcloud.com/matt-milne-8/sets/demo-reel-full

Composer - games, films, and tv.
Wings over the Reich, Rise of Flight, Woff, off 2&3, Photokill and Star Trek: Bridge Commander Kobayashimaru
#4463191 - 02/27/19 07:19 AM Re: OT: Mother Passed [Re: CaptSopwith]  
OvStachel Offline
OvStachel  Offline

Long Island, NY
So sorry to hear the new Cap. No words to say, other than I send my deepest condolences.

Always here if you need me... as I once was in the past some 20 years ago... I'll be there again.

Proud to have known you for as long as I have.

James
'OvS'

Last edited by OvStachel; 02/27/19 07:22 AM.

The Black Baron of Boistrancourt returns!!

I'd rather die fighting, than live for nothing. - Gen. G.S. Patton
#4463848 - 03/03/19 07:42 PM Re: OT: Mother Passed [Re: CaptSopwith]  
CaptSopwith Offline
Barmy WingNut
CaptSopwith  Offline
Barmy WingNut

United States
James, thanks so much for your note. I had a feeling I'd be hearing from you mate. It's been a pleasure knowing you this long as well!

And to the rest of the replies - I don't know how to respond in a way that adequately says my thanks. It's been a brutal start to 2019 for a lot of reasons and this one really was one thing too many, so your posts help keep me going.

Going to have an insanely busy week but hoping that I can get back to the skies over the Western Front (and Britain now that I've sorted myself out!) soon!

#4464507 - 03/08/19 06:48 AM Re: OT: Mother Passed [Re: CaptSopwith]  
xNightFlyerx Offline
xNightFlyerx  Offline

FL
I am sorry to hear of your loss. I often fear the same thing as my mother is in her mid sixties and not in the best health.. My wife and I will keep you in our prayers.

#4471274 - 04/20/19 01:08 AM Re: OT: Mother Passed [Re: CaptSopwith]  
HumanDrone Offline
Just shoot me...
HumanDrone  Offline
Just shoot me...

Near Pittsburgh, PA USA
Captain, I am so sorry, and very sorry I'm so late to this thread - I just haven't been able to be around. So how is the adjustment coming? After the hubbub and confusion and shock is over, and things finally seem, well - how do you feel? I remember well when my father-in-law passed unexpectedly, at only 56, dearly loved by his grandchildren, and with taking care of my wife and the kids it took a few weeks for it to actually hit home.

And while anything I say seems so inadequate, know that you are in our thoughts and prayers as we come into Easter. Your friends here at WOFF are still ready to listen.

Box: Win7 Pro 64 bit / I72600K @4.1 GHz / EVGA GTX1080Ti/ 16GB RAM / Corsair 240 GB SSD / WD 600 GB Velociraptor / 1050W Power
FS Stuff: Saitek X52 Pro Stick/Throttle & Combat Rudder Pedals, TrackIR 5
Sims: FSX Gold, REX 2.0 OD, UTX-NA, FSGenesis 10m mesh/ CFS3 ETO 1.40/Wings Over Flanders Fields BH&H2 (more gorgeous than ever!)
Proud BOC inductee 4/30/12!
#4471275 - 04/20/19 01:15 AM Re: OT: Mother Passed [Re: CaptSopwith]  
Wulfe Offline
Wulfe  Offline

Hi, CaptSopwith - I don't think we've had much contact on the forum so far, but all the same I'm truly sorry to hear of your loss and hope you're doing okay. My thoughts are with you.

#4471326 - 04/20/19 04:29 PM Re: OT: Mother Passed [Re: CaptSopwith]  
Polovski Offline
Polovski  Offline

Hotshot

Very sorry to hear that CaptSopwith. To lose a mother at a relatively young age is a mind-numbing shock. It was at least it was for me when mine died - she was aged 39. Totally out of the blue. It will likely get easier to cope with all you can do is keep putting one foot in front of the other and get on eventually.
One thing that will keep you going is what would my mum want me to do in this situation or that situation and it can help you keep going.
Now I can think back from time to time but painful memory definitely smooths out some over time.

Regards,

Polovski,
OBD Software, developers of immersive flight sims;
Wings Over Flanders Fields and Wings Over The Reich
http://www.overflandersfields.com
http://www.wingsoverthereich.com
#4471609 - 04/23/19 01:38 PM Re: OT: Mother Passed [Re: CaptSopwith]  
CaptSopwith Offline
Barmy WingNut
CaptSopwith  Offline
Barmy WingNut

United States
Again, gents, please accept my sincere thanks for your kind words. Life has been insanely busy yet again and I haven't had a chance to check in as much as I'd like but I took a look at the boards the other night and saw that this thread had moved back up to the top and I read through your replies.

I wish I knew what to say. To all of you who shared stories of your own personal loss - I too am very sorry for what you've had to experience. One of the remarkable aspects of being human are the communities we form - and I feel that I moved into a new community with this seismic shift in my life. How am I doing? Better. It's been a very hard moment to process but I've had countless interactions with others who have shared their own stories of loss and I feel that, somehow, I am able to better empathize, and better connect with them after what I've gone through. It's still brutal and it still hits me at random times. My flight sim hobby is a direct result of my Mom. She's the one who encouraged it and when I was a kid on the new Flight Sim Forums, she was the one who supervised me when I made my first Delphi account and who listened to me recounting my exploits in the air night after night.

So in many ways life goes on - I'm different from the person I was a few months ago, but I am working to take that experience and use it to be a better compatriot to those around me.

Thank you again guys, I really really appreciate it.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Polovski 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM