Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#4460898 - 02/11/19 05:32 PM Re: New Half Life 2 Mod, 9 years in the making [Re: ]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by USSCheyenne
I'am finishing HL2 and either i rusted in the past years or this game is really hard (playing on normal)... Or maybe newer games are much easier than those 10-15 years ago.

When I first played the game I really didn't have any difficulties until near the end of the game where you are fighting wave after wave of Combine soldiers. I died a few times but finally managed to win and move on.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4460909 - 02/11/19 07:40 PM Re: New Half Life 2 Mod, 9 years in the making [Re: WangoTango]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
USSCheyenne
Unregistered

Yes, i'am currently fighting these waves and striders and it's not going smooth.

#4460910 - 02/11/19 07:47 PM Re: New Half Life 2 Mod, 9 years in the making [Re: BD-123]  
Mr_Blastman Online content
Hotshot
Mr_Blastman  Online Content
Hotshot

Atlanta, GA
Originally Posted by BD-123
Replaying it now in 'Update' mode...the only FPS I've ever really felt immersed in. Though I think I may develop PTSD after Ravenholme episode!
Have just had fun squishing Ant-lions with the buggy. Steeling myself to use the missile launcher against Combine assault. Only complaint so far is the terrible English accent of the geezer who gave it to me.

You should try S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Call of Chernobyl if you want immersion. Fantastic game. Play it with the "Complete" mod though.

#4460911 - 02/11/19 07:55 PM Re: New Half Life 2 Mod, 9 years in the making [Re: WangoTango]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
Stalker's a great game and a good recommendation. Personally I am no fan of the Complete mods.

I'd recommend Autumn Aurora 2 for a Shadow of Chernobyl mod.

No, now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!
#4460912 - 02/11/19 08:00 PM Re: New Half Life 2 Mod, 9 years in the making [Re: WangoTango]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Not quite Stalker but I've been replaying the METRO games (the redux versions) and they are really oozing in atmosphere.

I'd pay good money for a new Stalker game with additional RPG elements and of course a DX 12 graphics engine.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4460916 - 02/11/19 09:03 PM Re: New Half Life 2 Mod, 9 years in the making [Re: DBond]  
Mr_Blastman Online content
Hotshot
Mr_Blastman  Online Content
Hotshot

Atlanta, GA
Originally Posted by DBond

I'd recommend Autumn Aurora 2 for a Shadow of Chernobyl mod.

Autumn Aurora 2 looks pretty neat. Does it change the core game in any way or does it play through the same as the original version?

#4460918 - 02/11/19 09:27 PM Re: New Half Life 2 Mod, 9 years in the making [Re: WangoTango]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
I didn't mean to dismiss your recommendation, and lots of folks like the Complete mods. For me, they take away some of what makes the games great, and particularly in SoC's case it makes the game far too easy. So much so that I could only play Complete for a couple for days before removing it. There are good things there, but it took Stalker further from what I want it to be.

As for AA2, it makes pretty sweeping changes, but so does Complete even though it seems to be 'marketed' as not doing so. Weapons, weather, graphics, HUD, artifacts and lots more are redone. Some will like it better, others won't. Personally, I found it excellent, the best version of SoC I have played. It in some ways makes it more like Misery, which I find to be the best version of Stalker going. AA2 is nowhere near as err, challenging, but it gives SoC some of that vibe while retaining it's accessibility.

There's no accounting for taste, so each player would need to try it and judge it on it's own merits. But I recommend it because I think it's the best SoC mod. It's the same story, same basic game, wrapped in new mechanics and visuals. If you have always liked SoC but wished it were more challenging and gritty, where everything seems more bleak and stark, then AA2 is worth a go. As always, I highly recommend playing Stalker on Master, all versions, since it makes every gun more accurate. NPCs too yes, but the fact that your own gun shoots where you're pointing it is well worth the trade off.

A couple of links and apologies for the derail

Video showing early gameplay so you can see the new graphics and UI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQgPggTIniA

PG Gamer piece about the mod

https://www.pcgamer.com/mod-of-the-week-autumn-aurora-2-for-stalker-shadow-of-chernobyl/

Last edited by DBond; 02/11/19 09:52 PM.

#4460934 - 02/11/19 11:59 PM Re: New Half Life 2 Mod, 9 years in the making [Re: ]  
WangoTango Offline
Hotshot
WangoTango  Offline
Hotshot

Ontario, Canada
Yes, i'am currently fighting these waves and striders and it's not going smooth.

Striders are a bugger, until you figure out where the ammo boxes are. ( biggrin I did cheat a few times...givecurrentammo)

The good news is, the 1.2 version of the mod is very straight forward to install. There are cinematic versions as well ? They require a bit of fiddling, I'm staying away from those.
I'm going to start Episode 1.

I didn't realize until I was almost done the core game, that Dr. Wallace Breen was Warren from Everybody Loves Raymond.

Last edited by WangoTango; 02/12/19 12:16 AM.
#4460975 - 02/12/19 07:27 AM Re: New Half Life 2 Mod, 9 years in the making [Re: WangoTango]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
USSCheyenne
Unregistered

Well, i'm passed the city fighting. It was tough, died many times. Now the Citadel which I have to say still looks really impressive.

Just finished it. The last chapter was a breeze comparing to the previous one. My favorite parts were the water canal and highway 17. Those levels gave me the impression of a bigger world out there. Raveholm still gives me the creeps, the story still is vague as hell and physics really fun to play with. Overall it is still very playable, even without any mods.

Last edited by USSCheyenne; 02/12/19 11:16 AM.
#4461000 - 02/12/19 11:41 AM Re: New Half Life 2 Mod, 9 years in the making [Re: ]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
the story still is vague as hell .

It's been a while since I've played HL 2 but this is what I remember about the story:

A totalitarian world government has taken control and has a sort of "Final Solution" in place to get rid of most of humanity by exposing them to headcrabs. Why? Who knows?

You have these aliens (vortegaunts) who are observing what is going on and appear to be on the side of the good guys. Why? Who knows?

Who is the G Man working for? What's his agenda? Who knows?

#4461012 - 02/12/19 01:45 PM Re: New Half Life 2 Mod, 9 years in the making [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
wheelsup_cavu Offline
Lifer
wheelsup_cavu  Offline
Lifer

Corona, California
Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer
the story still is vague as hell .

It's been a while since I've played HL 2 but this is what I remember about the story:

A totalitarian world government has taken control and has a sort of "Final Solution" in place to get rid of most of humanity by exposing them to headcrabs. Why? Who knows?

You have these aliens (vortegaunts) who are observing what is going on and appear to be on the side of the good guys. Why? Who knows?

Who is the G Man working for? What's his agenda? Who knows?

That description doesn't sound all that much different than the real Govt Panzer...

Wheels

Cheers wave
Wheelsup_cavu

Mission4Today (Campaigns, Missions, and Skins for IL-2)
Planes of Fame Air Museum | March Field Air Museum | Palm Springs Air Museum
#4461361 - 02/14/19 04:24 PM Re: New Half Life 2 Mod, 9 years in the making [Re: WangoTango]  
WangoTango Offline
Hotshot
WangoTango  Offline
Hotshot

Ontario, Canada
Played EP.1 until Direct intervention level, now when trying to load I get an Engine Error, ED_Alloc no free edicts. banghead

#4461402 - 02/14/19 08:33 PM Re: New Half Life 2 Mod, 9 years in the making [Re: WangoTango]  
Dunolde Offline
Dunolde  Offline

OK, some of you are apparently further along than I, so

I need some help... I am under attack by two helicopters, in some courtyard. Missiles are available but I cannot seem to make a hit to even bring one of them down

let alone two. Anyone have any suggestions? Playing on "normnal". Maybe I'll try to scale beck to "easy" for this area...

#4461405 - 02/14/19 08:48 PM Re: New Half Life 2 Mod, 9 years in the making [Re: Dunolde]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
USSCheyenne
Unregistered

Originally Posted by Dunolde
OK, some of you are apparently further along than I, so

I need some help... I am under attack by two helicopters, in some courtyard. Missiles are available but I cannot seem to make a hit to even bring one of them down

let alone two. Anyone have any suggestions? Playing on "normnal". Maybe I'll try to scale beck to "easy" for this area...

I believe it's the Nova Prospect courtyard? Well, i also had some issues since you need to hit the helo 5 times. Try focusing on one. If you shot down one, then it should be much easier to get the other one. Use ants to kill soldiers. Use as much cover as you can. There as a container right beside a box with missiles. I just ran around it, shoot and rearmed. Rince and repeat:)

Last edited by USSCheyenne; 02/14/19 08:48 PM.
#4461407 - 02/14/19 08:51 PM Re: New Half Life 2 Mod, 9 years in the making [Re: WangoTango]  
DBond Offline
Strategerizer
DBond  Offline
Strategerizer
Veteran

NooJoyzee
It's been a long time since I played HL, but you should just need to keep the launcher pointed at the target until impact. You need to guide it. Isn't that right?

Edit, surely it's not this and you know how to use the weapon.

Last edited by DBond; 02/14/19 09:05 PM.

#4461628 - 02/16/19 02:00 AM Re: New Half Life 2 Mod, 9 years in the making [Re: WangoTango]  
Dunolde Offline
Dunolde  Offline

Well, guys, I've tried and tried and tried and tried.............frankly lost count. I just cannot score a hit. Guess I'll have to take some time away...

#4461629 - 02/16/19 02:06 AM Re: New Half Life 2 Mod, 9 years in the making [Re: Dunolde]  
WangoTango Offline
Hotshot
WangoTango  Offline
Hotshot

Ontario, Canada
DBond is right, you have to guide the missile, keep the laser on the target until impact.

#4462063 - 02/19/19 10:07 PM Re: New Half Life 2 Mod, 9 years in the making [Re: WangoTango]  
Dunolde Offline
Dunolde  Offline

Yes, yes I know about guiding the missile. It's just impossible to guide it while the gunships, which never miss, are shooting the hell out of you while you're trying to aim!

#4462104 - 02/20/19 09:44 AM Re: New Half Life 2 Mod, 9 years in the making [Re: WangoTango]  
BD-123 Offline
Old Scroat
BD-123  Offline
Old Scroat

Naunton Beauchamp Worcestershi...
Perhaps you are being shot at without noticing during the chaos with your attention fixed on the chopper by the Combine's fixed weapons.
Three hits on the chopper is sufficient.
The first one isn't so aggressive. Deal with that and then sprint up the stairs and hide from the second one in the container. Throw bugbait onto the balcony of the illuminated control room to deal with the fixed weapons or use crossbow. Then sprint to the rocket ammo box collecting to health packs on the way, crouch behind this box and deal with second chopper is how I did it.......
Mind you, did take about 6-7 attempts!

#4462129 - 02/20/19 01:48 PM Re: New Half Life 2 Mod, 9 years in the making [Re: WangoTango]  
Dart Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Dart  Offline
Measured in Llamathrusts
Lifer

Alabaster, AL USA
On the storyline, I guess I'm the odd man out, as I immediately grasped it.

At the end of Half Life, the smoking man puts Dr. Freeman into some sort of limbo, stuck between worlds.

What we miss (and only learn in HL2), is while we're bashing our way through Black Mesa and ultimately Xen with our crowbar, a larger invasion of Earth has happened. Indeed, by the time we're jumping floating platforms in space the Seven Hour War is already over - we just don't know it. Everything Gordon did in Half Life was for naught!

Twenty years later and the aliens, the real aliens behind the invasion, have moved from conquering Earth to administering it, and based on the level of care they've put into it don't think much of their newest prize. They don't even give a darned that the race they selected to do the fighting for them, the Vortegants, have switched sides (or at least deserted).

The Combine isn't even looking to assimilate and use humans for foot soldiers in their next conquest as they've done on other worlds; indeed, they put out a "suppression field" that prohibits procreation. If the Combine can hold the Earth for another 50 years that's it for the human race.

Somewhere in the Combine legislature there's a group of sentient grubs that are questioning the decision to take over a planet with no real needed resources simply because a portal was opened that allowed it. Cue the Aperture Science line "We do what we must because we can."

Most of the invasion forces are gone, and the planet is controlled by just one link to the Combine forces. Just one. Rather insulting, when one thinks about it.

The controllers of the planet are sh*t by any standard, owing to our backwater useless nature, relying on syncopate human "administrators" and no doubt constantly complaining about their career ending assignment to Earth. One gets the impression that the Combine did not send their best and brightest.

Against this backdrop, the smoking man sees the opportunity to cut off the Combine from Earth, and throws his wild card into the mix. "The wrong man at the right time can make all of the difference" he says, but it's Dr. Kleiner's breakthrough in portal technology that's the real key to the decision - and the only man Kleiner and the remaining core of Black Mesa scientists truly trust is Our Man Gordon.

It doesn't hurt that Gordon Freeman is a sociopath who took to violence with breathtaking glee. There are only two things that can save one's life when an armed Dr. Freeman is around: first, he has to know your name.* Second, if one isn't known to him, one must be doing something of immediate usefulness. On the latter, sparing their lives from immediate death is as good as it gets. "Here's an air boat. No, no, that's okay, it's the only one and there are shells falling full of head crabs all around, you go ahead and leave me here. I'm sure I'll be okay now that you've emptied every ammunition container here at the dock."

* This is why Barney, Mossman and Alyx make sure they introduce themselves by name and give context to who they are in a most immediate fashion. Even back in his pre-invasion days Dr. Freeman was pretty unstable. He had a baby picture and a bowling trophy along with drugs in his locker at Black Mesa, yet one gathers he's single. He's a highly vaunted scientist with a bunch of qualifications, yet they have him pushing a lump of stuff into an accelerator; odds are they were hoping that if anything bad was to happen it would be to him. Hell, he's late for that and holds up the whole experiment but they're very careful not to say anything harsh about it.

The opinions of this poster are largely based on facts and portray a possible version of the actual events.

More dumb stuff at http://www.darts-page.com

From Laser:
"The forum is the place where combat (real time) flight simulator fans come to play turn based strategy combat."
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.