Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4460926 - 02/11/19 11:05 PM New simming PC time  
462cid Offline
462cid  Offline

USA
I'm still using my WIN 7 64 bit machine from 2012. It was a nice machine when I got it, still somehow gets by today. But a few months back the PSU died. I talked to a local shop- after my stroke my right hand isn't so good at fiddly things just yet- and they fixed it for me. Had to downgrade, my wattage was no longer available and the biggest they could get to fit was a 600W unit, down from 750. Oh well.

Spoke about upgrades with them and as I feared, it's not worth the trouble. Machine's just too old, MOBO was yesterday's news two yesterdays ago. Building a PC just isn't in the cards right now. The frustration of knowing how to make may hand work and having it just not quite do what I tell it to isn't just a bad time, it's actually detrimental to my recovery.

Yes, I suppose a price point is necessary. I'm figuring between 1000 -1200 USD. I play a lot of heavily modded ARMA 3 and I am trying to get back into IL2 and Rise of Flight and other combat flight sims. It's slow going, the HOTAS really screws with me and makes my hand go numb. Pedals are OK, leg wasn't as badly affected.

WIN 10 will be required of course.
I see a lot of PCs simply don't come with optical drives any more. The hell with that. I have CDs and DVDs and Blurays.
Any suggestions as to where I should be looking?
Disadvantages to WIN 10 64 home?
I'd need at least 4 USB ports open and available. Why does this seem hard to find unless I'm spending 2 grand?
has the dust finally settled on the new AMD offerings re: processor?
Powered USB options? I had finally gotten TrackIr and I wonder if it killed my PSU even though I had been using an externally powered hub. I bet the 7 year old PSU just had met it's time though.

What kind of car is that? What does it matter? When I drive it, I'm Steve McQueen
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4460933 - 02/11/19 11:52 PM Re: New simming PC time [Re: 462cid]  
WangoTango Offline
Hotshot
WangoTango  Offline
Hotshot

Ontario, Canada
Sorry to hear about your hand. That must be frustrating.

Just throwing this out there, but have you considered a console, just short term, until your hand gets better ?

#4460935 - 02/12/19 12:03 AM Re: New simming PC time [Re: 462cid]  
rwatson Offline
Hotshot
rwatson  Offline
Hotshot

New Concord, Ohio
462Cid There's always the option of an external cd drive I use one and it works well and also i use a six port USB hub with buttons to shut off the ports I don't need at any given time.Hope all goes well for you

Russ
Semper Fi
#4460939 - 02/12/19 12:30 AM Re: New simming PC time [Re: 462cid]  
LB4LB Offline
Still lurking about
LB4LB  Offline
Still lurking about
Hotshot

Detroit Burbs
I just got picked this one up last week. I know it is not much for gaming, but there are upgrades that might help with that. It has many of the "old" school laptops devices.

Last edited by LB4LB; 02/12/19 12:33 AM.
#4460950 - 02/12/19 01:30 AM Re: New simming PC time [Re: WangoTango]  
462cid Offline
462cid  Offline

USA
Originally Posted by WangoTango

Just throwing this out there, but have you considered a console, just short term, until your hand gets better ?

I like creating. I spend hours just making a scenario in which the 82nd and 101st AB land outside a German occupied town pre-dawn and have to get to a rendezvous before dawn. C-47s being shot at, enemies maybe being around every dark bush, AAA firing wildly, tweaking it here and there until I get the conscripted civilians to run out of a truck at the right time, and a spooked kubelwagen driver may or may not drive right through the melee. Or an ambush at a crossroads and your squad has to get there to play a key role, only enemies are hunting for you as you travel there. Consoles can't do that for me.

My hand gets better slowly just like the rest of my arm. Very very slowly. It's been almost two years and I'm still getting better. Now when I am at rest say in a chair or in bed, my arm except for my hand and my entire leg now feel normal when I'm having a really good day. I think I can start skinning again soon too.

What kind of car is that? What does it matter? When I drive it, I'm Steve McQueen
#4460951 - 02/12/19 01:31 AM Re: New simming PC time [Re: LB4LB]  
462cid Offline
462cid  Offline

USA
Originally Posted by LB4LB
I just got picked this one up last week. I know it is not much for gaming, but there are upgrades that might help with that. It has many of the "old" school laptops devices.

Oh thanks, but laptops aren't on my radar

#4460952 - 02/12/19 01:31 AM Re: New simming PC time [Re: rwatson]  
462cid Offline
462cid  Offline

USA
Originally Posted by rwatson
462Cid There's always the option of an external cd drive I use one and it works well and also i use a six port USB hub with buttons to shut off the ports I don't need at any given time.Hope all goes well for you

Thanks!

#4460954 - 02/12/19 01:59 AM Re: New simming PC time [Re: 462cid]  
WangoTango Offline
Hotshot
WangoTango  Offline
Hotshot

Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted by 462cid

I like creating. I spend hours just making a scenario in which the 82nd and 101st AB land outside a German occupied town pre-dawn and have to get to a rendezvous before dawn. C-47s being shot at, enemies maybe being around every dark bush, AAA firing wildly, tweaking it here and there until I get the conscripted civilians to run out of a truck at the right time, and a spooked kubelwagen driver may or may not drive right through the melee. Or an ambush at a crossroads and your squad has to get there to play a key role, only enemies are hunting for you as you travel there. Consoles can't do that for me.

My hand gets better slowly just like the rest of my arm. Very very slowly. It's been almost two years and I'm still getting better. Now when I am at rest say in a chair or in bed, my arm except for my hand and my entire leg now feel normal when I'm having a really good day. I think I can start skinning again soon too.

hahaha Clearly a console would be much to boring.
What is your prognosis ? is there hope of a return to full function of your hand ?

#4460956 - 02/12/19 02:14 AM Re: New simming PC time [Re: 462cid]  
rwatson Offline
Hotshot
rwatson  Offline
Hotshot

New Concord, Ohio
What sim is that 462cid ?? sounds like my tupe of wargame

Russ
Semper Fi
#4460958 - 02/12/19 02:28 AM Re: New simming PC time [Re: WangoTango]  
462cid Offline
462cid  Offline

USA
Originally Posted by 462cid

hahaha Clearly a console would be much to boring.
What is your prognosis ? is there hope of a return to full function of your hand ?

Full recovery. But it takes time. It's like layers of an onion. Day to day I can't really tell, but when I consider how I as last year at this time, I can see great progress. I'm maybe 90% on a good day. Some days aren't good, recovery isn't a gradual improvement, it's gains and losses.

#4460959 - 02/12/19 02:35 AM Re: New simming PC time [Re: rwatson]  
462cid Offline
462cid  Offline

USA
Originally Posted by rwatson
What sim is that 462cid ?? sounds like my tupe of wargame

Arma 3. But I had to mod the heck out of it, and if you give an AI mate a chance to shoot you, he'll do it. In a way though, I don't mind that. Strictly speaking, you don't want to run in front of guys shooting guns....so in Arma 3, I become aware of my AI "friends" and I don't give them the chance to shoot me in the back.

I find a mod called "AI accuracy fix" went an awful long way to making the fratricide bearable. I loved Operation Flashpoint and I had learned a lot of the AI behavior coding way back when, like "this sitstand" etc. There's a lot of that in Arma 3 too, like getting a mortar crew to fire on a target area at certain times by using black magic coding structure: "Mortar1 commandArtilleryFire [getposatl (thislist select 0), "8Rnd_82mm_Mo_shells", 6]; " it's weird and when you get it to work, it's really fun.

#4460963 - 02/12/19 02:56 AM Re: New simming PC time [Re: 462cid]  
Nixer Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Nixer  Offline
Scaliwag and Survivor
Veteran

Living with the Trees
Can't you swing a deal with your local shop to put one together for you?

I built a "one generation back", with all new stuff for around $1,500 a couple of years ago.

Wish I was close to you, I'd put it together for you.

More power to you for dealing with BIS's insane scripting for all this time. It gave me a lot of grey hairs.

Censored

Look for me on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook or Tic Toc...or anywhere you may frequent, besides SimHq, on the Global Scam Net. Aka, the internet.
I am not there, never have been or ever will be, but the fruitless search may be more gratifying then the "content" you might otherwise be exposed to.

"There's a sucker born every minute."
Phineas Taylor Barnum

#4461687 - 02/16/19 05:27 PM Re: New simming PC time [Re: Nixer]  
462cid Offline
462cid  Offline

USA
Originally Posted by Nixer
Can't you swing a deal with your local shop to put one together for you?

I built a "one generation back", with all new stuff for around $1,500 a couple of years ago.

Wish I was close to you, I'd put it together for you.

More power to you for dealing with BIS's insane scripting for all this time. It gave me a lot of grey hairs.

Been having no end of issues with my Login. OG managed to sort it.

I was thinking of doing just that, Nix. I sort of did that with my current PC and it saw me through nearly a decade, shockingly.
I'm cruising sites for President's Day sales; my shop would take over a month and although I want to give them that business (since they were straight and fair with me) being able to create with the PC and sims is a major source of relaxation for me now, not just simply some fun. This PC's GPU went past 80* C the other day and I saw some stuttering. Off came the sidepanel and it's ok(ish) now. I have begun the backup process.

Looking at pre-builts there's a spectrum of choices, but I am worried about motherboards with few available slots and builds with only a few USB ports. I need at least four and some have only three! As always, gotta be careful. Wish I recall the name of the place that built my semi-custom 'no name' system last time but they are probably out of business anyway.

RAM, slots for RAM, and (surprisingly to me) marginal PSUs seem to be even bigger pitfalls than ever today.

Anybody ever really see a need for WIN10 Pro 64 for simming? Is there a real advantage for what we do or am I wasting money by not going WIN10 Home 64?

#4461695 - 02/16/19 06:38 PM Re: New simming PC time [Re: 462cid]  
Coot Offline
Pilgrim
Coot  Offline
Pilgrim
Veteran

These United States of America
I've been happy with ibuypower over the years. I've been able to get far better gaming PCs for cheaper than I used to get from Dell in the early 2000s. I can't imagine not having an optical drive. I still have a lot of older games I play on disk and if I had a say in the matter, physical copies today would still mean the same thing they did back when. I'm still using Windows 7 64bit and have no desire to change. It basically has become what Windows XP was for me for a long time.

John 10:1-30
Romans 10:1-13

#4461698 - 02/16/19 07:06 PM Re: New simming PC time [Re: 462cid]  
462cid Offline
462cid  Offline

USA
External optical drives are available fro about 30 bucks though. No big.

Been looking at ibuypower actually. They are offering a mobo I like and with nice CPU options etc, but RAM above 16GB is a fortune compared to some other places.

I think (only think) cyberpowerPC was the place I bought from before. All these companies have awful reviews. but I'd bet you a grand that mostly unhappy people write reviews at all, lol.

I'm looking at a PC with 800 bucks off for the holiday. Yeah. 800 bucks. I believe it. But it does what I think I want and it's 5 bucks less than my budget. Tempted. Especially becasue I just priced out the parts and it's only 320 more than the sum of its parts and I get a warranty, for whatever these warranties are worth, lol

#4461708 - 02/16/19 08:57 PM Re: New simming PC time [Re: 462cid]  
bigbird Offline
bigbird  Offline

Parrish, Florida
I have purchased two ibuypower kits over the years and can say they are both still running fine. My last one is a Win7 circa 2012 or so, and the thing has had incredible legs with just an upgraded gpu since then. Granted my gaming time is down bigtime since my heyday, and deep sims are a memory for me. These days I just scoop the bargains off Steam during the sales and am playing some fun older games here and there...the Sniper Elites, Borderlands 2, Doom, Xcom and the Metro’s are a few. I still really enjoy gaming, but time is the issue for me wiith work and other interests.

Anyway, I would buy another PC from them in a heartbeat. You can tailor it fit your budget and they have proven to be a good value Since I have always been one of those behind the curve to build my own.

Good luck!

Last edited by bigbird; 02/16/19 08:58 PM. Reason: Spell for crap

"Go for the eyes. The eyes are the groin of the head." - Dwight Schrute 2007
#4461711 - 02/16/19 09:45 PM Re: New simming PC time [Re: 462cid]  
Forward Observer Offline
Forward Observer  Offline

Central Arkansas,US of A
I've purchased two gaming PC's from Cyberpower and been very pleased overall. I bought my first one in 2009, which is still running although I don't game with it. I use it for backup and mostly doing my online bill pay and banking. I bought my current main rig in 2013 and it's still handling everything I've thrown at it. It came with a GTX670 card, which I've upgraded several times.

It's got a GTX980 in it now, so I'm a bit behind the curve again, but I've had no major slowdowns playing the few current games I've bought like FarCry 5

My rig has seemed to run a bit hot lately and I'm thinking that the water cooling unit needs to be replaced. I've heard that the closed units are only good for maybe 5 years or so, and I'm a bit past that now.

Anyway, I just got the following advert from Cyberpower, and am thinking about taking the plunge again on a new version. I might drop down to a mid tower this time. My other two are full towers and while nice and roomy inside they do take up a lot of space.

https://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system...gn=cyberpower-marketing&utm_content=

Cheers

Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
#4461720 - 02/16/19 10:46 PM Re: New simming PC time [Re: 462cid]  
462cid Offline
462cid  Offline

USA
Extremely similar to the one I am looking at, actually.

#4461725 - 02/16/19 11:34 PM Re: New simming PC time [Re: 462cid]  
462cid Offline
462cid  Offline

USA
Well. We'll see what we can see. I'm about 90% certain it was cyberpowerPC I used before.

Just ordered a system from them should see it late next week. Spent some money but that's what I saved it for. Ordered a WIN10 Home 64 machine with an i7-9700K with liquid cooling, 16GB DDR4/3000MHz with an RTX 2060 6GB GDDR6 and an SSD/HD. 850W PSU. Also bought an external optical drive and some extra fans and noise reduction to top it off.

I guess steak's off the menu for a few months, lol.

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.