Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 582 of 608 1 2 580 581 582 583 584 607 608
#4460578 - 02/09/19 01:29 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) **** [Re: SNAFU]  
McGonigle Offline
Motorius Emeritus
McGonigle  Offline
Motorius Emeritus

Copenhagen, Denmark
Gents,

Fittop your cats are definitely bigger and scarier than any cat I might possibly encounter on my cycling outings.

Speaking of such, while windy I have managed to get in a ride yesterday and one today. Yesterday we had 3 C and today even quite pleasant 7 C. I'm managing to catch the few sunbeams in between rain.

Flu is expected here as well, so far I've just been catching a couple of colds.

Jens C. Lindblad

Sent from my Desktop
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4460617 - 02/09/19 05:51 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,
The warm that was here ain't. The rumors of Old Man Winter 2019's death in the "Old North State" were Greatly exaggerated. Current temp at 12:30 PM is 47° F. and soon that will go lower. Expected low is 23°F. tonight. I will therefore cease painting my Easter Eggs.

Fittop:

We've had no altercations with brer Bobcat (we hear them now and then) but my son bagged another very healthy coyote recently. He and his pals have signed up for an annual coyote hunting tournament. They may win some cash and all the coyotes they can eat ( you have to be truly starving for that).

We keep our pets inside 24 /7 except,of course, for the two dogs which must be taken out regularly. This is always done by one of the kids, usually the grand daughter. I do worry about her especially at night. I hear the distant calls of coyotes at night so I know they are too close for comfort now.

A friend has contracted for my son to cull the growing number of Canis latrans living on his farm. He has large dogs, no livestock but the land abounds with small game and deer. Coyotes are a completely different species from wolves and dogs. They are smart, prolific and can be ( as you point out) dangerously aggressive. Right now there is hunting pressure but absolutely no danger whatsoever of them becoming an endangered species. I'd say with the present setting of the "Doomsday Clock" we are much closer to that than they may be.

No one bitten by a coyote here that I know of but it is only a matter of time. Coyotes also are sometimes vectors for rabies. The last one my son killed was a big one but no match for his 300 Win Mag. That is definitely not a small game rifle. See cartoon below. I hope it doesn't offend anyone. If it does.... don't look at it.

MG:

So Denmark is where our warm went. Have fun pedaling in the sun while you can. It is supposed to warm up again Tuesday and Friday of next week with temps close to 70°F. / 21° C. both days.

Attached Files Win Mag Cartoon.jpg

Originally Registered January,2001 Member Number 3044

"Blessed are they who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed" - Edmond Gwenn, "The Trouble With Harry"

CELEBRATING EIGHTEEN YEARS and over 20 MILLION VIEWS on SNAFU's HWH thread- April 2019
#4460767 - 02/10/19 06:06 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

Still cold here, and now, at 1:00 PM, it is also overcast. No rain has fallen so far today. RADAR shows some snow in the mountains of NC and rain headed for us in the eastern part of the state. There seems to be a weather pattern forming. Dux, I'm glad I'm not headed for the mountains in just 4 days. Take care my friend.

You see, MG, even when it seems you have nothing to write about, you actually can. winkngrin

"Blessed are they who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed" - Edmond Gwenn, "The Trouble With Harry"

CELEBRATING EIGHTEEN YEARS and over 20 MILLION VIEWS on SNAFU's HWH thread- April 2019
#4460835 - 02/11/19 04:26 AM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Fittop Offline
Fittop  Offline

US
Y'all;

Hmm.

Now that I’ve had my coffee and thought about it, I have to correct myself and claim what got me down last week was probably not the flu but a cold of sorts.
Other than a general achy feeling and a stuffed nose that seemed intent on precluding sleep, I was spared from the loose stomach and those other nasty feelings that culminate on thinking that being knocked out would be an improvement from that miserable condition.

I am envying McGonigle’s good shape in being able to just shrug off a “couple of colds.”

Love the cartoon, Roger. Even after reading an opinion piece in the NY Times.

I'm not sure how we got to the point of living with medium-size predators. I realize they are adaptable and smart and they were "here" first.

I had reservations about the move when I/we left the closer "big" city and moved here, but they have little to do with the present place.
Though it sounded far, it is really another exit beyond a bigger city that had grown to be self-sufficient in the 40 years I’ve been in the area. (Actually so has this city. But the attitude is a bit different.)

The disarming boulevard as one enters this city was a welcoming aspect.

A bit more worrying than the squirrels was the number of rabbits that appeared to surround the property.
It was a weekly task to cover the holes they dug in the yard. - There have to be less in the last couple of years.

It seemed to me their numbers were kept in check by the soaring hawks, etc. that always seemed aloft.
Figured that was a good check on the rabbits as well as other varmints.

I knew I had seen a snake skin in the yard before. Yes, I've wondered where the present skin was.

That was before neighbors told me they had returned a "huge" snake back to the creek. Their adjective, not mine.
Me, I would have needed a change of clothes and can assure you I would not have needed to check the shape of head or color before taking action...like running.

Now I only occasionally see a rabbit at night, and it's a good reminder that four legged hunters are around.
Maybe I will have to start pocket-carrying to check the mailbox at night.
The trick would be to see them before they pounce.
Think the city would frown on that though. I think they net them and release them somewhere.

#4460925 - 02/11/19 11:02 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

Skies are overcast, it is chilly and wet. Present temp at 3:45 PM is 44° F, with additional rain likely. 60's and maybe 70's F. tomorrow with drying. Good news. Our ladies should expect to have their chocolates arrive undamped on Thursday. Valentine's Day looks good.

Fttop:

A virus no doubt. No fun, surely, but mercifully it was unlikely to punch your boarding ticket onto the express bus to the afterlife. My son woke with a scratchy throat and diminishing voice this morning. It may be a bad year for those who like to shun the hospital. I remember when I was gainfully employed how hard it was to do business with Laryngitis. My doc treated me and just advised me "to whisper".

Yeah, right Doc. So much work needed to be done by phone. There were several secretaries manning the phones but, efficient as they certainly were, there were decisions they could not make and information they did not know. Antibiotics keep down secondary infections but do nothing for convincing any virus already drowning in Pepto and breathing Vicks fumes to raise the white flag and retreat forever down the porcelain convenience.

I was guilty, I admit to risking the wellness of others by working with my senses dulled by fever, eyes red and squinting, and with mouth covered, still coughing out clouds of infectious droplets as I madly dashed to the executive washroom. Why was I there? I was paid regardless. Others could have gotten most of the the work done.

So, again, why was I there? Surely not to set an example. When a coworker came in with a sneezy coughy affliction during flu season, I was the first who genuflected, gently closed the door to my office and start spraying Lysol and taking handfuls of vitamin C tablets. Glad you're well.

I always think of Texas rabbits being bigger. Jack rabbits in fact, and not the cute, cuddly little cotton tails we too often see in our gardens and hopping happily about on our lawns. Not at all like the cute, tasty chocolate ones we put in our kid's Easter baskets. OK, I've seen too many cartoons, I guess. I apologize profusely for my error. Surely Texas' rabbits are as cute as any state's.

Bugs wasn't a Jack rabbit; was he? Speaking of Bugs, have you ever noticed how much Newt Gingrich resembles Elmer Fudd? When he lost the Speakership after masterminding that first Govt. shutdown. You know, the one that did not work out so well for anyone. Well, I drew a cartoon with Mr.Gingrich's face on Elmer's cartoon body. It was published locally. I'd hoped it might have been picked up by the AP. Sadly, it was not. But lucky me. Now I can add to my resume, "Failed Political Cartoonist".

I grew up a couple of blocks from a river. All manner of critters showed up at our house. Rabbits, Raccoons, snakes, possums, squirrels, red and gray foxes. A wolf, leading a pack of mutts came near one moonlit night. Once, a black bear spent the night in Grandma's garden. And, my friend, think about it. That menagerie is just what I personally saw. A pet dog treed a raccoon which spent the night on our roof when I was in elementary school. No one at school believed me... until I got the film developed.

When my wife and I moved back to our home town after 30 years of marriage, the score was people 99, Snakes 0. No, I don't hate any snake I can see. They have a place of service in the world and keep the rodent population in check. It was my wife who would not tolerate the slithering reptiles in her world.

I'd relocate what I could without her seeing me. However having small children about I did kill many of the large, poisonous varieties of snake that are prolific here. Snakes like Cottonmouths and Copperheads. I never killed a Black snake, Garter or Green snake in my life and even retrieved one black snake from a tree and relocated it in the woods near the river. That also saved a bird's nest from being raided.

Early one summer day, when my wife had just been threatened by a particularly large and active Copperhead, my young son asked me why we had killed the creature. I simply explained that it would be far easier to replace the snake than replace his mother. If we had not killed it, she would have packed her bags and left for the snakeless Arctic.

My wife was the only person I ever knew that showed evidence she had "Snake RADAR". If that woman woke me from a sound sleep and told me there was a snake in the backyard, even without having herself moved from bed, I would have believed her. How she always seemed to be able to find a snake, no matter how hidden from view, I do not know.

Most snakes, even poisonous snakes, are not aggressive. I've read that hundreds live out their lives in the areas around around most people's houses in the US causing no trouble.

Frankly, I am more scared of spiders than any snake Ican see and easily avoid. I have never been bitten,however I have been bitten by spiders. Yes, indeedy, I have seen Black Widows and Brown Recluses eyeing me with malevolent intent from the assumed safety of their sticky, bug covered webs. That made me shiver. Right up until the dear wifey, so bravely, made them commit insecticide.

During our 40 years together, we divided our two paranoias between us equally. She took care of those wicked Arachnids bent on my destruction and I took care of all those sneaky, fanged critters slithering about looking to get her. winkngrin

#4461302 - 02/14/19 06:47 AM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Fittop Offline
Fittop  Offline

US
Y'all

Hope your son is OK, Roger.
Wx is still bouncing here, awake to the thirties, stay in the fifties. But tomorrow temperature will climb to seventy-four.
Of course the wind will be in the 20s with fire danger warnings predicted.
But will take that over the snowstorms and dangerous driving up North.

#4461380 - 02/14/19 06:31 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

Happy Valentine's day. Cold start this morning. Warming fast. Current temp 59°F. heading upward to a toaster 63°F.

Fittop:
Must be drier down there. No burning notices posted here. The wind was brisk all night but now we have only a 3 MPH breeze blowing from the NW. Brilliant sunshine with thin, high clouds.

My son has mostly recovered. Thank you for inquiring. Wouldn't you know it, he was the one on call this past weekend and had to go in to supervise repairs due to an unexpected water main emergency on one of his sites. That didn't help his feverish condition much.

I wonder what OG has been up to? Up to about 14,000 feet, I'd guess, without supplemental oxygen. winkngrin

#4461596 - 02/15/19 08:20 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
McGonigle Offline
Motorius Emeritus
McGonigle  Offline
Motorius Emeritus

Copenhagen, Denmark
Gents,

Another post with nothing special to report however, nothing special to report also means that life is pleasant without undesired upheavals. We are having some nice weather for this time of year with a springy quality to the air and temperatures as high as 11 C/ almost 52 F and a fair blue sky today which of course meant that I went for a bike ride. Upon returning I changed clothes and proceeded to clean and wash the bike, scraping out oil, dirt and parts of bushes and weeds from the cogs in the rear cassette. How I manage to pick up bits of greenery in there I have no idea as I am usually on the black stuff and not prone to ride cross country. I shall now have to ride again tomorrow, too enjoy the clean cassette which should have restored perfect and smooth shifting.

Jens C. Lindblad

Sent from my Desktop
#4461693 - 02/16/19 06:24 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

Our "blue" sky is distinctly grey. We have overcast skies and a current temp of 41° F. / 5 C. Lite rain has been falling for several hours. Not exactly bad enough weather for old WC to say his famous line and get a mouthful of poly petal snow for his trouble.

MG:

Did my monthly shopping last evening and spent much of this somewhat inclement morning putting everything away. How's that for riveting trivia? It is always good to hear you have gotten in a good bike ride in winter. It seems to please you so much and is so healthful.

I watched a PBS program yesterday about how close to nature the Vikings lived out their lives. Modern man could learn a lot from that and our world would be a better place.

More and more we are discovering that Viking life was not all about war, murdering and pillaging, as many ancient chronicles have seemed to claim. Of course they were also brave explorers and family men too. Still they managed to work in all that unfriendly Berserker stuff. BTW in case our readers do not know, they never wore helmets with horns.

In fact, only one complete helmet that can definitively be called “Viking” has turned up. Discovered in 1943 on Gjermundbu farm in Norway, the 10th-century artifact has a rounded iron cap, a guard around the eyes and nose, and no horns to speak of.

The popular image of the strapping Viking in a horned helmet dates back to the 1800s, when Scandinavian artists like Sweden’s Gustav Malmström included the headgear in their portrayals of the raiders. When Wagner staged his “Der Ring des Nibelungen” opera cycle in the 1870s, costume designer Carl Emil Doepler created horned helmets for the Viking characters, and an enduring stereotype was born.

You are a card carrying Viking in good standing. You never wear a horned helmet when you go biking. I bet not. I've noticed that none of our Viking football players wear helmets like that either. Some of the more belligerent lineman might if it were allowed. winkngrin

#4462024 - 02/19/19 06:34 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

Overcast sky herre with 43°F. the current temp. Up to 3" of rain promised us this afternoon into tomorrow. Some areas North and West of us are looking for precipitation of the frozen variety.

Frankly, I do not know how accurate future forecasts may be from now on. The person whom I have consider to be the best meteorologist and Weather Ouija Board wielder in the business for over 25 years is gone. He just mysteriously resigned at WRAL TV in Raleigh with no explanation other than "I've been dealing with this thing for a year now." I just want to get ahead of it." Cryptic.

The gentleman headed the weather team at WRAL for years and was/is so good that he was rumored to be paid over 1M per year for his trouble. He was a member in good standing at his church and a pillar of the Raleigh community. He also played the trombone. I would think playing the trombone alone should disqualify him from any suspicion of mischief. We wait, we hope and we wonder.

#4462071 - 02/20/19 12:34 AM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
oldgrognard Offline
Administrator
oldgrognard  Offline
Administrator
Lifer

USA
Gentlemenses,

I have been reading your posts with interest, but have not had much to add.

Winter is definitely gone from Florida where I live. The days are now hitting 79/80 F and nights only go down to 58. The skies have been cooperating and I did a good bit of flying until .... 9 days ago I took my plane in for painting and some external refurbishment. I’ll be without for about another month. I miss flying and have been straphanging with others in their planes. Going up tomorrow in my buddies Cessna 150. With my plane gone I’ve cleaned my hangar floor and am going epoxy paint it.

I live right up against a wildlife management area. Lots of wildlife including small black bears. They say Florida panthers, but I’ve not seen. Here is a picture of a flock of turkeys. There were over 30 in this group.

[Linked Image]

A bad event happened to my instructor pilot friend. Just a week or so ago we were talking about our motorcycles. I have hardly ridden in the past year. I’m just not comfortable anymore with everyone paying more attention to their cellphone than the road. I am giving mine to one of my nephews. He and his two brothers are going to make it a group bike and then teach their sons and pass it on to them. My buddy said that he was pretty much done and was going to arrange something with his son who is a motorcycle mechanic.Well, just yesterday he crashed his bike. Bad. His knee is so bad they think they aren’t going to be able to properly reconstruct it and will put in an artificial. Broke his shoulder, 6 ribs for sure and possibly another. Some internal injuries such as a them being worried about his spleen.

Tomorrow it is supposed to rain.

Wish I had better tales.

Maybe if there is a bad period without rain I can have some more good ritual stories for you all.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Someday your life will flash in front of your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
#4462212 - 02/20/19 08:55 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

Wonderful day here.....that is, if you love low lying mist, dark clouds, wind and below average temperatures. No ice today. Some up around the VA. border and West of us.

OG:

I'd say you posted good news, depending on how you look at it. You'll have a gorgeous plane again soon, the opportunity to spiff up the hanger is hard work but a good thing. Thank Providence, your buddy is still very much alive, though suffering from such serious injuries. I wish him well and a speedy recovery. One day soon, he'll once again, be floating care and pain free in blue skies above the billowing, white clouds of Florida.

I worry about my son riding his relatively still new Indian. He sold his 2 big Harleys. It is a beautiful ride. He loves it, yet I know of no one who has ridden a motorcycle for a long time who has not been seriously injured one way or another. Of course I don't know a large number of motorcycle riders.

The accidents were not their bike's fault, or theirs either. They were due to careless automobile drivers. Who, as you imply, are the big threat to all bikers everywhere. I've said it before. You may be a very safe driver, yet you are only as safe as the worst driver you encounter on the highway. Sadly, intelligence is still not a criterion for getting a driver's license in any state that I know of.

I am certainly sorry your pal may lose his leg. My high school girlfriend lost her right leg to bone cancer in her senior year. She did well for 13 years considering. She graduated UNCG and taught in elementary school. She married well and had two sons. Then the cancer came back with a vengeance. She tragically died at just 31 years of age in 1976. I didn't know it then but her's was a particularly hideous brand of bone cancer that after initial remission or amputation has a nasty habit of aggressively returning within 15 years.

My girlfriend was fitted with the best prothysus money could buy and her recovery was coming along well both physically and mentally. One day, I saw that her younger sister was feeling kinda low and sorry for herself and her sister. I told her to cheer up and how lucky we really were. Visabally hurt, he looked at me as if I were an uncompassionate bastid. Then I explained what I meant.

It was bad, I agreed. Really bad. But thank God, her sister had two legs and, by removing just one, the surgeon was able to save her from a blindingly painful certain death. Clearly, I had been too blunt but then she said she understood. I was not being dispassionate, the girl still lived and was nearly recovered, that was what meant so very much to me.

It is not only those sick or in pain who suffer. So do their friends and family suffer. I wish you all a swift recovery and the happy release from worry that will surely bring.

Last edited by Jolly Roger Two; 02/20/19 09:00 PM. Reason: Caught by digital word police

#4462215 - 02/20/19 09:22 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

In addition to the above, I forgot to mention:

I noticed today that one of my favorite sites is now forcing me to accept ads or pay $1.95 a month for the privilege of viewing their site. Fortunately, they also allow me the privilege of NOT VISITING their site again. I like my ad blocker.

Why block ads? Some ads can actually be malicious and all are a nuisance IMHO. I do not trust any site to responsibly check ads for malware or turn down cash offered plus the digital info about moi they already get and sell from each visit I make. 😫

#4462524 - 02/22/19 06:38 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Fittop Offline
Fittop  Offline

US
Y'all,

There is no, should not be, any fire warnings around here.

Nature has decided we all need a good washing. Which should also help wash some bad memories and polish the good ones.
Somehow, the sun does look brighter after a good rain, doesn't it? Maybe it's the ozone after a good thunderstorm that seems you are breathing fresher air.

The shivering here is nowhere as severe as it must be up North. Yet I keep looking at the middle Florida keys, rolling my eyes at the prices and enviously looking at the Destin and Gulf Shores area.
But the sun will show again soon and we'll read of the idiotic things kids do in Spring break and secretly wonder what we would do were we their age and means.
Yeah, that's my excuse, never had enough to "waste" on just "me".
We were always too busy.

But I keep looking for updated Google pictures of that little beach I fell in love with in North-Western Puerto Rico. Are they able to bring back the charm?
I hope so. I've learned to make my own empanadas; and have had the fabulous ones in Chile and other places.
But there's a sigh in smelling them from the beach that is hard to fill otherwise.

We all have our little corners of favorite things. Heck, yours may be tumbling down a snow covered hill. My cardboard would wear out too fast.

#4462544 - 02/22/19 08:21 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

Fittop:

A cold rain persists here. The darkened sky looks like there should be four inches of snow on the ground. Actually there is. Only it is the transparent, unfrozen, variety of snow. Some rivers are rising above flood stage. The current temp is 44° F.

Global warming affects us in so many ways. Isn't there more dirt on the ground than usual? I think I just saw a fish swim by the window. winkngrin

Thanks so much for the text. Feb. is always a tough month both weather wise, and in my case, emotionally. It is easy to get depressed in February. Of course depression should be thought of as a storm. Difficult for a time but not lasting forever. The sun eventually comes out once more and the dark clouds blow away. At least it always has been so for me.

And yes, the sun does seem brightest after an especially dark night. Or sparkling high above a colorful rainbow just after a glistening spring shower. Memories of such wonderful things can lift our sagging spirits. The older we are, the more precious these stored up memories become.

#4462691 - 02/23/19 08:39 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
McGonigle Offline
Motorius Emeritus
McGonigle  Offline
Motorius Emeritus

Copenhagen, Denmark
Gents,

Getting out on two wheels regularly at the moment as the weather is agreeable to this Viking. I checked in on Chequer, a white/black cat sitting today with his or her backside towards me as I came wheezing up on him/her. Unflappable the cat just turned his or her head over the right shoulder as if to say; Oh, It's you. Well I'm not moving. On another part of the route I've had a white dog greeting me with barks and the toungue sticking out, but not today. After the ride I hung my clothes to dry outside, just wearing undies in 3 C. For a true Viking that is almost summer.

The official highest recorded temperature is 56.7°C (134°F), which was measured on 10 July 1913 at Greenland Ranch, Death Valley, California, USA. The lowest natural temperature ever directly recorded at ground level on Earth is −89.2 °C (−128.6 °F; 184.0 K) at the Soviet Vostok Station in Antarctica on 21 July, 1983. That is natural climate variation. I believe that in theory Earth's average temperature based on irradiation and heat loss is about 14 C / 57.2 F. A theoretical average temperature is of course, well theoretical and not much of practical use as it averages day and night cycles.

Jens C. Lindblad

Sent from my Desktop
#4462842 - 02/24/19 09:20 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

The sun is out this afternoon and we expect a high of 70°F/ 21.1 C. However, tomorrow we return to the 40's and 50's F.

MG:

I do not know if you actually know Chequer or just gave him/her that fine sobriquet. Caution. Naming cats you have only a passing acquaintance with can be hazardous to one's subcutaneous layer, my friend. Cats have sharp fangs and razor sharp claws, you know.

If you choose a name unfamiliar to such a cat, he or she may be bitterly offended.Thinking what you called them derogatory, the aroused cat might choose to take action that will be painful to you at the very least and perhaps even deadly. Deadly? Yes, should you be so distracted from the road by the attack that you hit an oncoming bus, very deadly indeed. So do take care. 😾

I knew how hot it gets in the desert area of our West so aptly termed Death Valley. But -128.6°F.....now that is truly cold. Any molecules stuck in that place are truly lethargic and aren't moving around much.

I'd say any poor Ruskie caught outside his corrugated Quonset igloo in that place best be wearing a bear suit and Comrade Nakita brand thermal undies. A pair of electrically heated Molotov brand matching snow shoes would also be nice for the tootsies.

As you probably know, space is also very, very cold....roughly 2.7° Kelvin (-270.45° Celsius, -454.81° Fahrenheit). This is mostly due to a lack of atmosphere and the vacuum-like nature of space. With very few molecules to energetically bounce around, there can be no heat.

As your concerned friend, I would hopefully suggest you never go biking in any of those extreme conditions. Your tires might melt or shatter depending on which extreme you choose. The great heat or cold wouldn't do you much good either.

Though Crazy Elon managed to get that car and fake astronut into space, I would not recommend you try that on your bike. For one thing, without friction on your tires, it might be difficult to get any extra speed above the 4.9 miles per second, or about 17,600 miles per hour required to get into orbit. Of course you might well be satisfied just to coast around the Earth enjoying the view.

If you want to completely escape Earth's gravity and travel to another moon or planet, though, you need to be going even faster - at a speed of at least 7 miles per second or about 25,000 miles per hour.

You'll need some bodaciously powerful calliper brakes for sure. Speaking of barkes...I Bet you'd break some Danish biking records at that speed.

#4462999 - 02/25/19 10:26 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

Everyday a surprise. Maybe you saw it before I did? Today I discovered a thread on this forum besides ours that has a posting more recent than August of 2018. As recent as yesterday in fact. quite a shock for me.

Check out 33lima at the bottom of this page. Lotsa nice screenies. Brought back memories prior to Win 10.

#4463114 - 02/26/19 07:16 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
McGonigle Offline
Motorius Emeritus
McGonigle  Offline
Motorius Emeritus

Copenhagen, Denmark
Gents,

Roger, oh yes, I linked to that thread in an earlier post. There's another thread and more screenshots here

Anyway, regarding cold weather I'm currently reading book two of Boris Chertok's memoirs. Chertok was part of the Soviet aircraft and aeronautics programmes and he recounts how they worked on aircraft electrics with their bare hands during winter time and it was so cold that they had to go warm their hands over fires lit in oil drums.

Another story from the book tells how they needed a specialist for a job but Stalin thought it was no good using that particular specialist because he had been convicted and been to labour camp two times. The come back was that the specialist must be very upright and loyal because he had also been released two times!

Last edited by McGonigle; 02/26/19 07:17 PM.

Jens C. Lindblad

Sent from my Desktop
#4463140 - 02/27/19 12:11 AM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
oldgrognard Offline
Administrator
oldgrognard  Offline
Administrator
Lifer

USA
Gentlemenses,

MG, what kind of mileage do you do in a week or a month ? Do you have something that registers the mileage ? Do you keep some kind of journal and distance record ?

Never having been a dedicated rider I’m not sure of how much effort you make at recording your biking.

Do you have a distance/workout bike and another pleasure/utility bike ?

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Someday your life will flash in front of your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
Page 582 of 608 1 2 580 581 582 583 584 607 608

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.