Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
Page 581 of 608 1 2 579 580 581 582 583 607 608
#4458424 - 01/23/19 07:09 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) **** [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

We are looking for the low 60's F. under overcast skies today and the threat of rain is coming. Lows last night were in the 50's F. No time to get used to warmer weather. More cold down in the low 20's F.coming Fri. through weekend.

Still no joy with my blocked e-mail. Worrisome but hardly catastrophic. It will be sorted in time even if I have to factory reset the phone and laptop. It makes one wonder what we have AVs on our computers for, right? Reinstalling Chrome might fix it but I still remember what rebuilding Chrome the way I want and need it was like. Firefox and Edge seems marginally afflicted as well.

No one need worry about it here. I cannot send e-mails and will not until all the hacker excrement is flushed clean, all is fixed and secure again. I'll LYK when that is accomplished. We can just PM. I can read incoming e-mails on the Windows 10 mail app but not send any. My life is not built around e-mail as some may be. As I said, it is simply a nuisance so far. At least compared to other problems I may have with data loss. All this due to the breach of my e-mail address on Amazon.

Right now, I would be in favor of making it a capital crime to hack someone's computer. I'll cool down. Maybe. There is the benefit of learning to be found here. If I could just figure out what that might be.

This is what comes of allowing anyone but my closest friends and I to own computers. And I I'm not so sure about my closest friends.... winkngrin

Added to my pleasures of the day, Zeena seems to be tuning up to sing opera for another week. It's about every other week she does that now. Can you tape a cat's mouth shut without fear of physical or emotional harm? Just wondering.

Originally Registered January,2001 Member Number 3044

"Blessed are they who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed" - Edmond Gwenn, "The Trouble With Harry"

CELEBRATING EIGHTEEN YEARS and over 20 MILLION VIEWS on SNAFU's HWH thread- April 2019
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4458431 - 01/23/19 07:39 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
McGonigle Online cool
Motorius Emeritus
McGonigle  Online Cool
Motorius Emeritus

Copenhagen, Denmark
Gents,

Checking in from freezing Copenhagen with nothing much to report. I'm currently taking a holiday from biking, outdoor as well as indoor so I'll be aching to go when the weather is more to my liking.

I hope your email woes will be solved Roger, it sounds downright weird what what you describe. I'm with you, that some people should never be allowed near a computer. Also I'm beginning to have grave doubts about some people having voting rights. biggrin These people are usually not able to conduct an informed discussion on a complex subject but will readily accept the words of experts and expect others to do so too. The trouble is that with the subject being complex, the experts are not in agreement. Anyway, the rest is for the current affairs forum so I will not go into further detail here.

I took the plunge to get Chromebook the other day to play with its Linux support through the Crostini project. It will run chromebased apps, android apps and now also Linux apps. Still investigating.

Jens C. Lindblad

Sent from my Desktop
#4458512 - 01/24/19 03:26 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Fittop Offline
Fittop  Offline

US
Y'all,

Sorry about your problems with the electronics.
Had also been having problems sending emails, seems like I have to hit the "send" button some ten times before the email goes out. Very frustrating.

But it may be due to an ad blocker I have installed. Advertisers don't seen to like being hindered.
MSN was nice enough to suggest getting a different ad blocker. Hmm.

#4458526 - 01/24/19 06:31 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

High today 67°F. High tomorrow 49°, the weather roller coaster effect again. Low for tonight 29°F. There might be some strong winds, you betcha. A WSW 17 MPH wind blowing here already. Humidity so high last night I was tempted to turn on the A/C.

Tech is absolutely great right up until it isn't. A few criminal minded A*s H***s can ruin the tech device experience for everybody. IMHO the perfect penalty for these jerks would be to give them a prefrontal lobotomy and turn them all into helpless Luddites. Is that too extreme?

Public complaints are rising and Govt. intervention in response to that and their own concerns for privacy for their family will shut the hackers down but also with more controls for us all. The cyber war is already upon us. And cyber security is on the front burner so that kind of harsh treatment could be coming for a unscrupulous hackers near you. Public hangings might come into fashion once more.

Nah, the NSA would just incarcerate the young bastards. Then make the beast of them work for our Govt. against other Govt. for free. And always remember, just because you are not paranoid, doesn't mean that hackers and cyber criminals aren't out to get your data. wink

Fittop:
Is there a perceivable slow down with other activity besides mail? Do you have to click several times to get a response doing other things on your device? Something could be running in the background. Or maybe it is time to flush the useless crap that builds up just running windows over time?

"Blessed are they who expect nothing, for they shall not be disappointed" - Edmond Gwenn, "The Trouble With Harry"

CELEBRATING EIGHTEEN YEARS and over 20 MILLION VIEWS on SNAFU's HWH thread- April 2019
#4458765 - 01/26/19 04:39 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

Since our posting has dwindled as it has, and, this year, I'm guilty as anybody. I'm thinking HWH might end its long life on or about our 2019 anniversary, April 24th. Maybe sooner if posting stops altogether. Of course, if one or two of we few wish to keep it running longer than that we may certainly do so.

Our newest members Fittop and OG still post now and then and Jens is lurking about looking for any reason to post. Dux pops in a bit more frequently but, to my mind, not often enough. I am the only one brave enough to occasionally post a fictional HWH story. Having said that, I think everyone enjoys OG's "True Life Adventure" type flying stories, I do. I know guys, it is, of course, rather difficult to post an "after action" report when we cannot play our game anymore. wink

Let's think about it and make your feelings known. We should not forget there are a ton of folks still visiting and reading. Look at how many since April 24, 2018 when the total was around 19 M. We now have had 20,683,226 views. 1,161 pages and 11,603 replies. Not a record, I'm told, but respectable, considering the limitations of so few members posting. That is a tribute to SNAFU, and to your loyalty my friends. I am sure its meant a lot to our readers and I know It has meant quite a lot to me.

Why bring up the subject? It is simply that time of the new year that I look at the numbers and take stock. Then bring up the subject of continuing HWH Continued another year.... or not. We welcome any comments from members and readers alike.

In other news. The cold is back, I saw the thermometer shivering down to at least 26° F. last night. Maybe that's sauna temperature for our MIA pal Jens. Down south it is considered frigid. I know folks up north in Michigan, Wisconsin and the like probably think 26° F. would be time to close the ice fishing houses due to the the beginning of spring.

My trials with the infected laptop continue. Bugs not responding to treatment. So nothing good to write home about so far. I've sprayed insecticide in there and am searching for that half used bottle of dog penicillin but with no luck so far. winkngrin

#4458801 - 01/26/19 08:50 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
McGonigle Online cool
Motorius Emeritus
McGonigle  Online Cool
Motorius Emeritus

Copenhagen, Denmark
Gents,

Rog; I had to go to the baths to experience sauna temperatures yesterday, otherwise I'm very cold, creaky and not at all a Viking with temps in the negative C. Some snow is on the ground, not a lot, and a thaw should be coming thus ensuring any precipitation will be wet and not white.

In an oblique way I think I am attempting to consider the future too: As you mention, it is getting harder to play our olden golden games and maintaining legacy hardware for games that we might not play much again and I am considering moving away from Microsoft as my main platform. I have simply had it with them and their bloated, ugly, confusing, spying so-called operating system.

The transition won't be abrupt and I'll do plenty of experimenting first. Early stages yet and I'm just learning as I go. I've revived my 12 year old iMac with a duo core 2.6 GHz processor, and as a desktop machine it will fully satisfy my demands I think. I've also experienced that with Steam games, some are actually compatible with the Mac OS system and as long as there's a pc which needn't be large tower model, non-compatible Steam games will actually stream to the Mac. I need to investigate spec requirements a bit more. Finally I'm thinking about Wine which is a compatibility layer that should help run some Windows games on MacOS. Some people do crosswords, others Sudoku, to exercise their brains, I do silly stuff like this.

I still can't bring my self to abandon the HWH hall, quiet as it has gone during most of my stay here, I simply cannot type the words, although I'm an irregular poster with nothing much of interest to report and appreciate that you have been carrying the major share of the posting burden Roger.

But it is not for me to decide alone.

Jens C. Lindblad

Sent from my Desktop
#4458867 - 01/27/19 04:13 AM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Fittop Offline
Fittop  Offline

US
Y'all,

You guys bring up some interesting points. Most of them have remained silent.
BTW, Thanks for elevating me to 'member' status.

I was not an original member and unlike most of you guys, I know little about computers and nothing about the modding contributions you guys are reported to have made to a good game/simulation. That's what I've gathered reading some of the early exploits here.

Actually, that was probably my original entry, thanking you guys for the imaginative tales and the laughs I got from reading the earlier pages.
Here and from other threads and forums, some information has been retained under the rusty brain bucket.

Not that we are looking for excuses or reasons, but nowdays it does seem to be a slowdown in forum contributions everywhere.

Maybe it's due to the political situation, maybe due to the availability of news and pot-stirring available in your hand via phone, tablets instantly.
And I mean instantly. No waiting for the hourly news, much less the six o'clock news.

You do not need a paper these days, but it does seem with that first shot of coffee or whatever brings your caffeine up to working speed, one reaches for those electronic pieces to check "what-the-hell-are-they-up-to-today?"

Reading and/or reacting to the results of that glance is taking up more time than planned for these days.
It is of course, much easier and somewhat satisfying to state or counter an opinion digitally that it was on "letters to the editor" and...there goes an hour or more of time you might have spent on an aviation forum venturing your opinion/listening to friends and friendly opposition.

Now we respond to pieces we would have ignored because...because we can.

But, we are responding, reacting; not necessarily creating ideas, colors, shapes, stories that bear fruits.
And we are paying a price for that.

None of the above should be taken as directed towards anyone at this site.

Just thoughts on what we all see everywhere. sigh

Last edited by Fittop; 01/28/19 02:00 PM. Reason: Some sounded like preaching, it wasn't meant as such..
#4459094 - 01/29/19 01:16 AM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

Thanks for responding fellows. I'd hoped for 20 years and 25 M views. I come back for SNAFU and for you, my good friends. Finding new posts are a particular pleasure in any day.

That should satisfy even our Fearless Founder SNAFU. We shall see if everyone sticks with it. All it takes is two of us the carry on a conversation or one of us to make it a blog. Hopefully, OG, Jens, Dux and i will carry on at least for a while. But only if we wish as individuals to do so. Maybe we each feel we find something here that is interesting and enjoyable? As long as we do we will keep on returning.

Snow on the way tomorrow. Probably just a dusting but one never can be sure. I have the snowman construction blueprints out of mothballs. There is a slight chance I'll need them this time. Snow doesn't usually linger here so the kids and I may have to build ours in the dark.

I was just reminded of something long forgotten from way back when I was enlarging my knowledge of the world by reading and swapping comic books. No, LeRoy that was not last week. I was not actually reading that "graphic novel" I was simply browsing through one of Dux's he had absentmindedly left on the bar. You know how his mind can tend to be absent when he drinks too much Chateau Thames Embankment Vin. an hour ago.

What came to mind was a scene from a comic I read back then. Kids were building snow forts and having snowball fights. I remember that one of those kids was called "Grandpa Feeble". He was apparently one of the kid's Grandfather. He seemed to be truly enjoying his second childhood. The kids loved having him play with them.

When I mentioned building that snowman with my grandkids that sparked the memory. Now I'm kinda like grandpa Feeble myself. Back then reading that comic I'd never have thought twice about me being so much older and happily playing in the snow like Feeble. Odd how you retain certain trivial memories isn't it? Do you?

#4459292 - 01/30/19 11:43 AM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
McGonigle Online cool
Motorius Emeritus
McGonigle  Online Cool
Motorius Emeritus

Copenhagen, Denmark
Genta

A few sunrays have graced us with their presence yesterday and today. I ventured out on the bike for a but very cold ride.. It takes 20 minutes to dress for it, 20 minutes to get out of the gear afterwards, and a couple hours to get warm again. Then I went to a meeting with the bank in the afternoon. The bank wined and dined me and approx. 20 others while explaining a few bad decisions and a scandal concerning whitewash of money in a Latvian branch of same bank. The representatives from the bank were all beautiful young women with whom you couldn't possibly be cross, certainly I couldn't. The rot is elsewhere.

A friend of mine and his girlfriend had a daughter born to them yesterday at 07.09. There are some complications as the child seems to have some lung issues. I hope the little girl recovers quickly so her parents can stop worrying. When I mention stop worrying, I think someone once mentioned that parenthood is defined by constant worrying about your children, so I guess one worry will replace the other.

I do know of the phenomenon you describe Roger. I find that as time goes on I relate more and more to the adults I knew when I was a child. I find I have a greater understanding of why they were the way they were. At the time I had a child's perspective and now I'm able to appreciate the adult perspective because I find that I'm more and more turning into those elderly folks.

Jens C. Lindblad

Sent from my Desktop
#4459547 - 02/01/19 06:04 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

We have had some cold days and nights this week. I saw the local temp register 19°F. before dropping off last night. I understand the low was actually 16°F. for the dark and early hours of this morning. The wind chill was in the single digits.

It may have been colder where you are. Our cold deserves little mention compared with the misery in the North and Midwest where igloos are possibly being built in Chicago on Michigan Avenue. Famous for being windy, folks in Chicago are "enjoying" record sub Arctic temps. I've been in Chicago in winter during blizzard conditions. I thought I'd freeze to death and it wasn't anywhere this week's cold.

Here, the roller coaster weather continues with daytime temps, next week, soaring into the mid to high 60's most of the week.

MG:

Your stamina is remarkable indeed. I know you eat well. You had best eat. Just getting dressed and undressed alone probably uses 2,000 calories. winkngrin

I was delighted to note that a Danish chef won France's most prestigious culinary award. I know you like to cook MG. So I looked twice to make sure if the fellow was you. Alas, no. Chef Kenneth Toft-Hansen and his team celebrated big time after winning the final event of the Bocuse d'Or. I wonder where they ate and celebrated? That restaurant is where I would like to dine. Tell me, if you know, is this is an unusual win for Danish chefs?

#4459566 - 02/01/19 08:17 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
McGonigle Online cool
Motorius Emeritus
McGonigle  Online Cool
Motorius Emeritus

Copenhagen, Denmark
Gents,

May I direct to your attention the thread in this forum called BoB Screenshots, by the pilot 33lima. Somre realy nice HWH vibe in that fine thread.

We’re still around freezing point herre and in an act of incredibly stupid hybris I did a 50 km bike ride leaving me a very tired and cold Dane at the end of the ride, sans 1100 Kcal. I have gained 3 kg since late October so I am eating too well or not getting enough excercise.

Roger, somehow I’ve missed og forgot abort the news regarding our Danish chef receiving such high honours despite it being quite a rare occasion. Nowonder they celebrated Big Time. Chefs are usually high strung and at boilingpoint even if they project calm to the outside world. Now, I think I do remember seeing how they calmly and meticuously arranged the dishes exuding zen like concentration.

Further to your thoughts regarding feeling like Mr. Feeble, I am hearing the advise and teachings of my old mentors and teachers a lot these days, especially when dealing with younger, less experienced people.

Jens C. Lindblad

Sent from my Desktop
#4459607 - 02/02/19 12:27 AM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

MG:

49°F. / 9 C. here at the moment with partly cloudy skies. Rechecked weather forecast for next week and now 77°F. / 25C. is the predicted high for Thursday. A veritable heat wave.

50 km you say. Pretty much 15 miles to somewhere and then 15 miles back any way you figure your mad dash. I hope you can enjoy pork and beef fat. You probably should eat some before you waste completely away.

Like my old grandmother, I have grown to love fat. Yet when I was younger I did not. Together we licked the platter clean. It seems no matter what I eat or how much my weight stays about the same as in my high school days. I don't outgrow anything so my clothes just wear out.

How about munching some high calorie food bars as you pedal? I understand Olga makes her own bars from weasel (Mustela nivalis) offal, rancid pig fat, with acorns, honey and steel cut oats. It's her recipe which she concocts herself (on days the wind is favorable). the stuff is cooked up in a sooty, black cauldron behind that old fur trapper's cabin near Dead Man's Bridge.

Some is cooled into bars on a convenient rock and the rest is used for paint removal. I understand that if you drive by there on the days when she is cooking it up the paint may peel right off your car or in your case your bike.

#4459674 - 02/02/19 05:04 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

It is another Groundhog Day and, once again, that leads to some meteorological confusion. The Pennsylvania rodent predicts an early spring while another prophetic rodent, closer to us, has seen his shadow and predicted 6 more weeks of winter. One big rat or the other seriously needs a weather Ouija Board.

According to the local forecast, mentioned above, it appears that spring will arrive here next week. winkngrin

#4459933 - 02/04/19 06:17 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

Here it is another wash day (people used to try to do all their laundry on Mondays around here). The expected high for today is 67°F. It does indeed seem to be warming up doesn't it? The current temp at 12:45 PM is 65°F.. The humidity is currently low. Temps in the 70's F. predicted for tomorrow. Should I get out the SPF 300 multi use barbecues sauce and sunscreen lotion? Already?

Naw. No need to slather on that sticky stuff. This is just February. It will be cold as a snow witches breast in a brass bra by next week. The sun is well over the yardarm so maybe I'll just drink some. Actually, like Dux, I never drink anything stronger than Pop. Of course Pop being a seafaring man he would drink most anything.

Speaking of Pop, and someone just did, today would be my grandad's 133 birthday. Happy Birthday Grandpa. Don't do the math, Grandpa was born in 1886.

Still no joy with the blocked e-mail, so I can neither write nor receive e-mail. My AV, Medieval curses and industrial strength VooDoo have all failed so far. Yet I have renewed hope. If that also fails to rid me of these bastards I will reset the phone and laptop to factory settings and rebuild again. How bad can that be? Wait, I have done that before on a desktop computer and it was pure misery. This better work. I hardly use the laptop now.

#4459944 - 02/04/19 07:08 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Old Dux Offline
Hotshot
Old Dux  Offline
Hotshot

Derbyshire
Gents,

It is with some regret that I have to report a move back to Derbyshire for the foreseeable future at least. Family circumstances and other considerations require that I am more available...whatever happened to retirement...so off I go on the 14th.

There may be the option of returning if all goes to plan which will mean an extra room being available in the same area but it will be later in the year, maybe September.

Today has been sunny and mild and I just hope it stays lake that for my drive back over mid-Wales. Any snow could mean days of delay and I just want to wrap it up without having to hang about here any longer than is necessary

'Find your enemy and shoot him down - everything else is unimportant.'

Manfred von Richtofen
---------------------------

#4459948 - 02/04/19 07:32 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
McGonigle Online cool
Motorius Emeritus
McGonigle  Online Cool
Motorius Emeritus

Copenhagen, Denmark
Gents,

Roger; Munching high calorie food bars you say? You're not the first to suggest it and probably not the last either. I can tell you that while panting and suffering on the bike from nearly paralysed lungs from the cold, the thought of proper food makes me far happier than a brick of calories. No thank you Sir, proper food for this chap, all the way.

Dux, I hope your business in Derbyshire is resolved pleasantly and satisfactorily.

Weather promises a few degrees or 6 C so quite warm for the season yet a brisk wind and the forecasted overcast will probably negate any notions of spring in the air.

Jens C. Lindblad

Sent from my Desktop
#4460179 - 02/06/19 04:41 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Folks,

For all you unfortunates still dealing with snow and ice, we have heat here. The fog this morning was dense. Maybe it came from Washington DC where I understand it is always foggy, hence the "affectionate" term "Foggy Bottom". It was like looking out my window into cloud. That has burned off now.

High 70's F. expected here today with high humidity. Present temp at 11:15 AM is 67° F. /19° C. and quickly climbing. Tomorrow should be even warmer. Cold returning on Saturday.

Dux:

What happened to retirement indeed. You are leaving your Welsh paradise on Valentine's Day? Perhaps this is propitious? I do hope your brother is OK. If I could send and receive e-mail I would like to write mate. Maybe all that is about to change fairly soon. I have hopes.

I wish you fair weather and a safe journey for your trip over the mountains and homeward. Keep the car between the ditches pal and stay safe. Keep us posted mate.

MG:

Well, most of those bars remind me of sawdust dipped in molasses (treakle) anyway. I do not blame you. With your cold climate and your clear refusal to bow to it, I imagine you could carry a full turkey dinner with all the trimmings without the slightest care for food poisoning. No doubt you have it all worked out and both pedal all day and eat a nourishing Scandinavian meal as well. That must surely trump sawdust and molasses big time. winkngrin 🚴 ❄ 🍽

#4460275 - 02/07/19 05:35 AM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Fittop Offline
Fittop  Offline

US
Y'all,

You seem to be doing well. Traveling and enjoying the warmth in a cold month.
Around here my state of neglect has reached unsupportable levels.
Wish I could say I enjoyed the high of eighty degrees F. day before yesterday. It was actually 83 here and while we did air the place a bit, I spent it outside trying to do in a couple of day what I should have done ages ago; sweating and fussing at myself. The same yesterday and I'm still not done.
The little rain we had today gave me a break.

Decided I am too old for this stuff and too set on my ways. A good yard man was lost when he over-extended himself and then my son took over the job.
A difference of opinion and the yard has been suffering and I had neglected to really prepare it for winter. Like I said, these bones have been neglected too long too.
But I'm a city boy and never aspired to cutting grass for a living; - just too lazy.

Like McGonigle, I also read parts of the forum here and I am impressed with the new refresh of sims.
Even got Cliffs of Dover but it quietly sits on the computer where I guiltily say hello to it as I proceed to Prepar3D and explore the Orbx TFX countryside.

OK, now we all know why the yard and other stuff is neglected.

#4460348 - 02/07/19 05:24 PM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Jolly Roger Two Offline
Experten
Jolly Roger Two  Offline
Experten
Hotshot

Sims, NC,USA
Foloks,

Fittop:

We will see 80°F. today. We broke a record for hottest low for the day ever recorded for Feb. 6, yesterday. Looks like that will be a big ditto for this date as well. The cooling starts tomorrow with rain coming Sunday and Monday when It will be cold again.

It can get really hot on our roof in summer. No one is up there of course but I am closest in my upstairs bedroom. Nobody really cares about cooling shade of trees anymore. We all have powerful A/C's today. In fact, here we have no trees in our yard at all. I love trees but I hated all the leaf blowing and raking in the fall I used to have to do. Big yard lots of ancient deciduous trees. I thought it worth the inconvenience back then. Like you, Fittop, what I used to be able to easily do all day now takes me all day to begin to do.

Back then leaves that were so beautiful while still on the trees lost their attraction somewhat when blowing toward my nearest neighbor's yard or lying there in deathly, brown piles waiting for pickup by the curb. Mostly evergreens surround this area with just enough deciduous growth mingled amongst them to give us distant color each fall. There is also no sea of fallen acorns here to attract the gray squirrels or be laboriously sucked up or raked up either. The acorns could keep the bushy tailed rodents away from the bird feeders most of the time. It's a trade off.

My grandson keeps the lawns well manicured for us. But when he gets his driving license the relative appeal of piloting the big riding lawn mower may well dim quite a lot. winkngrin

In other news:
Six new deaths from Flu were reported this week in NC. My son's old bank is absorbing his new bank so he and his money will be right back where they were previously. That is very unhappy with the bank's policies and service. It will now reportedly become the 6th largest bank in the US with this acquisition. Their stock went up today as well.

Their local branch had seemed rather unhappy to see him go, so I guess they will be pleased to have him back. Not so happy as to make some changes in their policies I bet. In the interest of civility and good manners, I will not print here what he had to say about it this morning. 🤬

#4460561 - 02/09/19 04:10 AM Re: Here's what happened (Continued) [Re: SNAFU]  
Fittop Offline
Fittop  Offline

US
Y'all

While the below freezing temperatures this morning made me wish for warmer trends, I did remind myself that being outside when the day starts at eighty is no picnic either. But I was inside until forced out by appointments.
Do remember taking walks in the morning going from tree shade to tree shade.

Apparently not as safe anymore to be walking with the news being full of coyotes and bobcats with no fear of humans.
A second human being bitten is now in the local -not too close- news.
Not going to turn into a scared rabbit, but it does seem that situational awareness and self defense may become more of a priority.
There is definitely one hill-dip and rise I will be avoiding this mating season. Yes, this is a city trail guys.

Yet the closest attack was on my own corner when a neighbor was walking her dog and another huge one decided to cross the street and start a fight.
Another neighbor and I were talking in my porch when this happened. We all rushed to the corner but the poor dog-walker was knocked down anyway.
That did rankle my cackles. I love dogs, but not nasty ones.

The flu has closed four independent school systems in the big city area.
Hopefully that may avoid the results in NC?
I was down for almost a week until the recent hot spell drove me to yard care.
That will teach me to wonder how I managed to stay well with the temperature and winds both changing so rapidly.
You'd think that being closer to 80 than seventy I would know to weather-dress better.

Last edited by Fittop; 02/09/19 05:03 AM.
Page 581 of 608 1 2 579 580 581 582 583 607 608

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
RIP Louis Gosset, Jr
by bones. 03/29/24 02:40 PM
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.