Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4459510 - 02/01/19 06:20 AM Television Academy Foundation Interviews  
Arthonon Online content
Veteran
Arthonon  Online Content
Veteran

California
I ran across this series of interviews of some folks involved with a variety of TV shows, including some sci-fi shows. I thought it had some interesting insights into some famous TV shows and people.

This is an interview with J. Michael Straczynski:
https://interviews.televisionacademy.com/interviews/j-michael-straczynski#interview-clips

Walter Koenig:
https://interviews.televisionacademy.com/interviews/walter-koenig#interview-clips

Jonathan Harris from Lost in Space:
https://interviews.televisionacademy.com/interviews/jonathan-harris#interview-clips

There's a lot more there, too.

Ken Cartwright

No single drop of rain feels it is responsible for the flood.

http://www.techflyer.net

Inline advert (4th to 5th topic)

#4459521 - 02/01/19 12:28 PM Re: Television Academy Foundation Interviews [Re: Arthonon]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
JMS is a fantastic and engaging speaker. I've listened to all of his audio commentaries for the Babylon 5 episodes and he always has some great insight and perspectives to share.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4459579 - 02/01/19 10:04 PM Re: Television Academy Foundation Interviews [Re: Arthonon]  
Arthonon Online content
Veteran
Arthonon  Online Content
Veteran

California
I haven't listened to his commentaries on the DVDs, but I've enjoyed just about every interview I've seen him in

Walter Koenig talks about his role on B5, and I guess he was originally going to play a role in one episode, but had a heart attack and couldn't make the filming schedule, so JMS ended up giving him the Bester role later, for which Koenig was very happy - a recurring role vs. a one-time appearance.

Koenig also tells a story about how George Takei was angry with him during the original Star Trek, because Koenig got his lines in a few episodes. The thing is, Koenig got them because Takei was filming "The Green Beret" and filming ran over by 6 weeks, and he couldn't be on set for Star Trek. how can you be upset with another actor over that?

Ken Cartwright

#4459590 - 02/01/19 11:09 PM Re: Television Academy Foundation Interviews [Re: Arthonon]  
JCathcart Offline
JCathcart  Offline

Utah
The more I learn about Takei, the less I think I would have liked to work with him. He seems very high maintenance to me. I feel similarly about James Doohan, may he rest in peace. From what I've heard, he was a really nice guy until he wasn't, and you never knew which Jimmy you were going to get. When I was a kid at a convention in 1976, a fan asked him a question he had already answered (people were coming and going throughout all the presentations), and Doohan shut him down hard. It was difficult for me to see, because I was a kid and loved the character of Scotty. It's challenging when you learn that actors are often not at all like their characters.

"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand." -- Ephesians 6: 12-13 KJV
#4459596 - 02/01/19 11:24 PM Re: Television Academy Foundation Interviews [Re: Arthonon]  
Arthonon Online content
Veteran
Arthonon  Online Content
Veteran

California
Yeah, it sounds like Shatner wasn't the only diva on that set. Koenig makes a similar observation of Mr. Doohan.

Ken Cartwright

#4459601 - 02/01/19 11:49 PM Re: Television Academy Foundation Interviews [Re: Arthonon]  
PanzerMeyer Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Offline
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
What better evidence can you have proving just how iconic a fictional character has become when fans have a hard time separating the actor from the character? There’s an X-Files message board on Facebook that I visit frequently and you’d be amazed at how many people there think that David Duchovny and Fox Mulder are the same person.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4460094 - 02/06/19 12:40 AM Re: Television Academy Foundation Interviews [Re: Arthonon]  
wheelsup_cavu Offline
Lifer
wheelsup_cavu  Offline
Lifer

Corona, California
Nice find. thumbsup

Wheels

Cheers wave
Wheelsup_cavu

Mission4Today (Campaigns, Missions, and Skins for IL-2)
Planes of Fame Air Museum | March Field Air Museum | Palm Springs Air Museum

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.