Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4446512 - 11/01/18 06:54 PM It started as an AAR on SIMHQ, now read the Novel on AMAZON!  
HeinKill Offline
HeinKill  Offline

Cloud based
Publication Day! Nov 1.

The book written with the help of a motley bag of SimHQers as a fundraiser for SimHQ is out on Amazon now!

[Linked Image]

Get it at the special launch discount price!

https://www.amazon.com/Bering-Strait-FX-Holden-ebook/dp/B07J3P42HF

"Impossible to put down. The action is intense and the plot unique. It soars along at a fast pace. This story is unmissable."
- 5 Star Review from Anne-Marie Reynolds for Readers’ Favorite.

"Realistic and original. A fast-paced thriller packed with action and suspense."
- Publishers Weekly BookLife

US Navy UCAV (drone) Air Boss Alicia Rodriguez and Lieutenant Karen 'Bunny' O'Hare are stranded on a decommissioned US facility on Little Diomede Island in the Bering Strait when Russia launches a lightning operation to shut down the critical waterway between Alaska and Russia and deny the US navy access.They are alone, dug in deep and trapped behind enemy lines. Surrender? Hell no.

Read the original AAR thread here (40,000 views and counting...):

http://SimHQ.com/forum/ubbthreads.p...g-strait-the-novel-drum-roll#Post4398385

[Linked Image]
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4452535 - 12/09/18 04:39 PM Re: It started as an AAR on SIMHQ, now read the Novel on AMAZON! [Re: HeinKill]  
Boomer Offline
(v) Viper Driver
Boomer  Offline
(v) Viper Driver

Meh...doesn't sound that interesting to je...

"Learning to fly the Falcon is just your ticket to the dance" - Pete 'Boomer' Bonanni.
#4454754 - 12/24/18 04:44 PM Re: It started as an AAR on SIMHQ, now read the Novel on AMAZON! [Re: Boomer]  
HeinKill Offline
HeinKill  Offline

Cloud based
Originally Posted by Boomer
Meh...doesn't sound that interesting to je...

US REVIEWS DEC 2018

Gabrielle Adams
5.0 out of 5 stars
You won't want to put this one down
November 28, 2018
Format: Kindle Edition Verified Purchase
Beautifully paced and edge of your seat exciting. You don't need to be a technology whizz to enjoy this cleverly plotted and brilliantly executed story. The characters are complex, believable, likable (even the bad guys) and well developed as the story progresses. I confess to skipping some of the technical descriptions of the various aircraft and weaponry but the story holds it own and then some. I hope FX Holden is busy writing the next book. I hate waiting. Highly recommended.

A
5.0 out of 5 stars
Wasn't sure at first.
November 9, 2018
But it just sucked me right in! Fascinating premise. After I got used to the switching points of view, I really liked it. Now, I'm off to read the book that inspired Mr. Holden to write this book!

Amazon Customer
5.0 out of 5 stars
Future thriller.
November 12, 2018
This is a very interesting story of a situation that might occur in the future. It is told in a wonderful style giving the story from both sides. It also combines very different perspectives from different type of military personnel. It is a truly gripping story that will leave you think "What if?". Very well written.

Platanus
5.0 out of 5 stars
Interesting and inventive throughout
November 23, 2018
It is extremely rare for me to read a book of fiction written by a woman; call it sexist if you wish, but that's just the way it is (I don't think for a moment I'm the only guy who feels this way). This book is an admirable exception. It held my interest from beginning to end with clever and very well written scenes right through to the final one.
One person found this helpful

Robert Haynes
5.0 out of 5 stars
Great book to read
December 4, 2018
This is a great read, and will easy be an on going series.
Looking forward to more books in this series.
Keep writing.

Amazon Customer
5.0 out of 5 stars
A Thrilling read
November 26, 2018
I like the style of getting both sides of the story as it progresses from all sides of the battle.
One person found this helpful

scifiguy
5.0 out of 5 stars
Great read!
November 27, 2018
Very interesting take on near future war. I truly enjoyed the characters in this book. I'm gonna get the next one!

Amazon Customer
5.0 out of 5 stars
Realistic
November 24, 2018
Excelent thinking

Recluse
5.0 out of 5 stars
Finally! A new Smart Aviation/Techno Thriller
November 7, 2018
Format: Kindle Edition
I have been looking for a good Aviation related techno-thriller like the OLD TIME Dale Brown/Stephen Coonts books. I was very happy to see Bering Strait and it handily scratched my itch. Interesting look at the Drone heavy future of aerial combat and frighteningly plausible political scenario. NOTE: I read Bering Strait as the Pre-publication Advance Copy, so I have not YET read the latest version. I'm sure it got EVEN BETTER, smoothing over some of the rough edges which, honestly were not that rough at all.

UK REVIEWS

Kindle Customer
5.0 out of 5 stars
A mind blowing novel.
15 December 2018
Absolutely brilliant story of a build up to a near nuclear war between the US and Russia. Told from both sides in superb fashion and realistically possible. Just unable to stop reading from start to finish.
Incredibly well researched and thought out considering this is set in the not too distant future. The descriptions of the navy and air forces of the future actually put you there with the operatives. Worth more than 5 stars!!

Kindle Customer
5.0 out of 5 stars
Good read
14 December 2018
Good story. Most enjoyable.

G.D.
5.0 out of 5 stars
Really good fast paced thriller
11 December 2018
Really enjoyed this and being free was a remarkable bonus.

blythview
5.0 out of 5 stars
Good read
9 December 2018
Really enjoyed this book , well written, interesting and mostly plausible . Strong characters. Recommended

Amazon Customer
4.0 out of 5 stars
Fantastic book and great cause
28 November 2018
Excellent book

Rick K
5.0 out of 5 stars
Excellent Thriller
17 November 2018
An excellent cold war type thriller of the not too distant future with a somewhat predictable, but still edge of your seat ending. Altogether a brilliant read.

George61
5.0 out of 5 stars
Excellent hi-tech thriller
16 November 2018
An excellent story. If you liked Tom Clancy then this is for you. I am eagerly awaiting the follow up novel.

P JAMES
5.0 out of 5 stars
Exciting read
6 November 2018
Brilliant well thought out fast paced thriller - read it in one hit staying up to 04:00!

Mr David Norlund
5.0 out of 5 stars
Great read for Clancy fans
6 November 2018
This is a near future scenario with believable use of characters (human and computer.) Nothing is too farfetched to make you feel that this is not a believable scenario. Very well written.

Aido
5.0 out of 5 stars
Fast moving military thriller with a heart.
3 November 2018
Pre ordered this based on some blurb on Facebook, and I'm really pleased that I did. Well paced near future military thriller that resonates with authenticity. The multiple perspectives keep it fresh and there's enough techno stuff to keep enthusiasts moist. Highly recommended.

AUSTRALIAN REVIEWS

Arthur J. Black
5.0 out of 5 stars
Great new author
15 November 2018
I have read Tom Clancey Vince Flynn books plus plus however this author F X Holden is a whole new ballgame without a doubt he will be one to watch in the future he sets a cracking pace from start to finish can't wait for his next book

5.0 out of 5 stars
Action.
4 December 2018
This book is Action packed from start to finish, held me glued to every page, was disappointed when it ended.

Gary Breed, NZ
5.0 out of 5 stars
Frighteningly realistic
25 November 2018
I couldn't put this down. Each scene flowed into the next leaving me desperate to find out what will happen next. The only downside was the billion technical terms and abbreviations that slowed the flow.
A great ending with a logical explanation for the whole scenario.

David howells
5.0 out of 5 stars
Great fast paced military thriller
20 November 2018
Interesting storyline with a future US vs Russian conflict set in the arctic circle. Good characters with multiple but interwoven threads of action based on use of military drones with an intetesting twist to the reasons for the conflict. A great read.

Alan McNamara
5.0 out of 5 stars
A great read
2 December 2018
Fast moving with lots of twists and turns. Quite a few surprises to keep the suspense. Looking forward to reading more from this author. Well done!

Anthony Millman
5.0 out of 5 stars
A great read
28 November 2018
What a good book couldn't put it down is an excellant read well worth it I thoroughly enjoyed reading it I would definitely recommended it everyone

Alan
4.0 out of 5 stars
A gripping Tale
5 December 2018
Great read.

FRANCE

Richard Campan
5.0 out of 5 stars
Action , suspense, technologie
1 novembre 2018
Format: Broché
Un livre impossible à lâcher, le vocabulaire anglais est accessible à un non bilingue passionné d'aviation et/ou de technologie en général, les personnages sont fouillés, le suspense bien mené et l' aspect technologique bien recherché.
Je suis fan de Clancy, Coonts et autres, on est dans la même veine.
Recommandé sans réserves.

[Linked Image]
#4454758 - 12/24/18 05:09 PM Re: It started as an AAR on SIMHQ, now read the Novel on AMAZON! [Re: HeinKill]  
BlueHeron Offline
BlueHeron  Offline

Ottawa, Canada
My copy's on the way from Amazon. Wish I was able to get it in time for the Christmas break. Can't wait!

#4455203 - 12/28/18 09:55 PM Re: It started as an AAR on SIMHQ, now read the Novel on AMAZON! [Re: HeinKill]  
Alicatt Offline
Hotshot
Alicatt  Offline
Hotshot

Ice Cold in Alex or Eating in ...
Enjoyable tale and looking forward to reading the next one. liked the teaser at the end of the book. smile

Chlanna nan con thigibh a so's gheibh sibh feoil
Sons of the hound come here and get flesh
Clan Cameron
#4458126 - 01/21/19 03:07 AM Re: It started as an AAR on SIMHQ, now read the Novel on AMAZON! [Re: HeinKill]  
BlueHeron Offline
BlueHeron  Offline

Ottawa, Canada
I'm really enjoying this read, about halfway through now. smile

Something really confuses me though. If the geographical area is the Bering Strate, then Alaska would be to the East and Russia to the West. Why do I see so many directional instances that refer to aircraft flying West to Alaska or East back to Russia? Did I miss the memo? wink

Last edited by BlueHeron; 01/21/19 02:28 PM.
#4458284 - 01/22/19 03:59 PM Re: It started as an AAR on SIMHQ, now read the Novel on AMAZON! [Re: BlueHeron]  
HeinKill Offline
HeinKill  Offline

Cloud based
Ha! Just seeing if you were paying attention! Of course it all depends if the viewer in the aircraft is inverted or upright...

(But seriously, we thought we had caught those east west typos! Will have to fire the editor and comb through the manuscript again. Luckily ebooks can be reissued with a click of a button.)

[Linked Image]
#4458303 - 01/22/19 08:45 PM Re: It started as an AAR on SIMHQ, now read the Novel on AMAZON! [Re: HeinKill]  
BlueHeron Offline
BlueHeron  Offline

Ottawa, Canada
LOL! I'll be sure to read the next chapter inverted. smile

#4464096 - 03/05/19 07:01 PM Re: It started as an AAR on SIMHQ, now read the Novel on AMAZON! [Re: HeinKill]  
Alicatt Offline
Hotshot
Alicatt  Offline
Hotshot

Ice Cold in Alex or Eating in ...
And here I thought that you had taken into account the fast moving magnetic pole shift wink

Chlanna nan con thigibh a so's gheibh sibh feoil
Sons of the hound come here and get flesh
Clan Cameron
#4464247 - 03/06/19 04:04 PM Re: It started as an AAR on SIMHQ, now read the Novel on AMAZON! [Re: HeinKill]  
HeinKill Offline
HeinKill  Offline

Cloud based
Apparently I'm in good company - there's an entire essay I saw online about how one famous author used to drive his editor nuts by mixing up his easts and wests and lefts and rights.

Mark Twain!

So here's the question, how come we so easily mix up east west and left right, but rarely north south or up down?

Fred

[Linked Image]
#4464282 - 03/06/19 07:21 PM Re: It started as an AAR on SIMHQ, now read the Novel on AMAZON! [Re: HeinKill]  
MarkG Offline
Veteran
MarkG  Offline
Veteran

The Bayou
I'm on page 518 (of 538) so almost done. A couple of typos, mostly early on (i.e. p.16 "to to" and another soon after...don't remember now) which is always the case. Page 245/46 fell onto my chest when I got to it...lol.

I enjoyed this book a lot more than I thought I would (I'm more into 80's techno-thrillers than ultra-modern). Some of the modern social behaviors I wasn't keen on, but realistic for the now/future.

Took me about a week (late start) of bedtime reading to get through it. There were more times than not when I read a little longer into the night than I meant to (definitely not boring). smile

Overall, great job! Very imaginative. thumbsup

The rusty wire that holds the cork that keeps the anger in
Gives way and suddenly it’s day again
The sun is in the east
Even though the day is done
Two suns in the sunset, hmph
Could be the human race is run
#4464375 - 03/07/19 08:21 AM Re: It started as an AAR on SIMHQ, now read the Novel on AMAZON! [Re: MarkG]  
HeinKill Offline
HeinKill  Offline

Cloud based
Thanks! 'A couple of typos' in a backyard project is a real compliment, esp in a 150,000 word novel! Takes time to weed all the buggers out even with my daughter proofreading...

Pls be sure to leave a review on Goodreads or Amazon when you're done - reviews really help!

For comparison, I'm in the process of finalising a novel with a big publishing house right now.

So far the novel has been read and edited by:

Fiction editor
Managing editor
Copy editor
Proof reader

It is now in the layout proof stage and we are still catching the odd error. As they say in Denmark, puha!

[Linked Image]

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.