Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4458202 - 01/21/19 09:32 PM Any good FFB controllers on the market?  
vonBaur Offline
vonBaur  Offline

I've had a Logitech G940 for five or six years and it's starting to act up. Some of the buttons aren't working consistently and the throttle is getting wonky: it doesn't always respond and sometimes confuses the R wheels for the throttle levers during programming. I'm fairly handy with soldering and am considering seeing how much trouble I'd get myself into by tearing it apart, but I wouldn't mind buying a new setup outright.

My priorities are:
FFB (pretty much an absolute, unless they exist only in legend)
Separate throttle
Rudder pedals
Highly programmable

SALUTE TO ALL!
Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4458206 - 01/21/19 10:01 PM Re: Any good FFB controllers on the market? [Re: vonBaur]  
Sokol1 Offline
Sokol1  Offline

Internet
No new mainstream FFB controller appear in the market after the failure of G-940 - probable the "Swan Song" of the type.

Are some 'boutique" FFB controller that work basically in FSX and X-Plane.

https://www.brunner-innovation.swiss/product/cls-e-joystick/

#4458212 - 01/21/19 10:37 PM Re: Any good FFB controllers on the market? [Re: vonBaur]  
Necro Offline
Necro  Offline

Originally Posted by vonBaur
I've had a Logitech G940 for five or six years and it's starting to act up. Some of the buttons aren't working consistently and the throttle is getting wonky: it doesn't always respond and sometimes confuses the R wheels for the throttle levers during programming. I'm fairly handy with soldering and am considering seeing how much trouble I'd get myself into by tearing it apart, but I wouldn't mind buying a new setup outright.

My priorities are:
FFB (pretty much an absolute, unless they exist only in legend)
Separate throttle
Rudder pedals
Highly programmable

Have you thought about doing the MasterTec mod to the Throttle? MasterTec´s Mod

"FFB (pretty much an absolute, unless they exist only in legend)"
.- I have one Sidewinder FFB2 (really two :)) and one G940. For me the best is (with difference) Sidewinder FFB. Anyway if the FFB of your G940 is still working ...

"Separate throttle
Rudder pedals" .
- It would be possible to "modify" the MasterTec´s Mod to use through the controller not only the axes (4 throttle and 3 from rudders), but also all the buttons of the Throttle (2 hats + 4 buttons on the lever and 8 buttons on the base, total 20 buttons). It seems laborious but if you know how to weld ...

Highly programmable.- Maybe Joytokey could be useful

Regards

Last edited by Necro; 01/21/19 10:37 PM.

[Linked Image]
#4458277 - 01/22/19 03:40 PM Re: Any good FFB controllers on the market? [Re: vonBaur]  
Sokol1 Offline
Sokol1  Offline

Internet
FFB - Fix your G-940 or buy an used MSFFB2 USB - is relatively easy replace their grip with one with more buttons/HAT's, e.g. CH F-16'ish or old Thrustmaster FLCS, F22 PRO - plus an cheap ($6) Arduino for handle this extra buttons/HAT's.

As for new throttle and rudder pedals.

Warthog throttle + ~$60 "slew" upgrade
VPC throttle - expensive, but offer more buttons/encoder/axes than Warthog throttle.
https://virpil-controls.eu/vpc-mongoost-50-throttle.html

Pedals- "high end".

MFG Crosswind
Thrustmaster TPR
Slaw Viper RX

#4458470 - 01/24/19 03:29 AM Re: Any good FFB controllers on the market? [Re: vonBaur]  
vonBaur Offline
vonBaur  Offline

Thanx for the input, folks. A shame nobody's doing FFB any more. IMO it's a major plus.

I'd looked at Master Tec's throttle mod, Necro. It doesn't look too difficult. But then again, a lot of piles of junk started with that phrase. Which is why I was hoping to have a backup ready. This is my only stick.

SALUTE TO ALL!
#4458915 - 01/27/19 04:07 PM Re: Any good FFB controllers on the market? [Re: vonBaur]  
Sokol1 Offline
Sokol1  Offline

Internet
Topic about usage of of Brunner Force Feedback base: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=220728

#4458951 - 01/27/19 08:19 PM Re: Any good FFB controllers on the market? [Re: vonBaur]  
MasterTec Offline
MasterTec  Offline

Thanx for the input, folks. A shame nobody's doing FFB any more. IMO it's a major plus.

I'd looked at Master Tec's throttle mod, Necro. It doesn't look too difficult. But then again, a lot of piles of junk started with that phrase. Which is why I was hoping to have a backup ready. This is my only stick.

I'm extremely flattered to see my name pop up after all these years. I didn't realize I had made such an impact!

Sorry about the whole no pictures thing. My hosting disappeared long ago on them and honestly it was so long ago I never really gave it much thought.

I still have my modded G940 and it still works reasonably well. Even with my crappy soldering it's held up just fine and it's not really that difficult to do so go for it! To be honest I haven't even really used mine in two years.. ever since my son was born my Flight Sim stuff and my motorcycle have been sitting pretty much idle. I just never seem to have the time to enjoy them anymore without being interrupted every few minutes.

Now that I've got a little bit of free time I'm considering taking up the hobby again. My computer needs some upgrading as well as my equipment and I'm so far removed from new tech and all that I started some research.. which led me here (so far). It a big shame that FFB has pretty much died. The G940 could have been AMAZING had Logitech either fixed their firmware *OR* opened it up for the public to fix. It's wonderful hardware (for the most part) incredibly crippled with lazy and faulty firmware. Almost like it was planned to fail from the get-go.

Even with my fixes and their later patches I still wasn't much happy with the performance of my stick. Precision aiming in dog fighting was always a battle, and unfortunately may have been a contributing factor to my losing interest. Throw in lots of overtime at work and a newborn and.. well that's pretty much the last nail in the coffin LOL.

But mostly I just wanted to thank you guys. I often feel unappreciated in a lot of aspects in life, and reading my name being mentioned several years after the fact really made my weekend! Enjoy!

#4459769 - 02/03/19 12:07 PM Re: Any good FFB controllers on the market? [Re: vonBaur]  
Necro Offline
Necro  Offline

Modifying the Throttle does not imply that you can not continue using the stick, it does not affect it at all. You can always modify it and if it doesn´t work well, buy another one like the ones Sokol recommends.

If it works so badly, maybe you could change the entire wiring. It should take more work but I guess with better results. If you also add the Mastertec Mod, you would have a "new" throttle better than the original one (without problems like the "reversal bug") smile2 . I put you two links to videos about rewiring:

Originally Posted by Sokol1
Topic about usage of of Brunner Force Feedback base: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=220728

ufff, too expensive for my pocket XD. I think I should buy some more sidewinder smile.

Originally Posted by MasterTec

I'm extremely flattered to see my name pop up after all these years. I didn't realize I had made such an impact!

Sorry about the whole no pictures thing. My hosting disappeared long ago on them and honestly it was so long ago I never really gave it much thought.

I still have my modded G940 and it still works reasonably well. Even with my crappy soldering it's held up just fine and it's not really that difficult to do so go for it! To be honest I haven't even really used mine in two years.. ever since my son was born my Flight Sim stuff and my motorcycle have been sitting pretty much idle. I just never seem to have the time to enjoy them anymore without being interrupted every few minutes.

Now that I've got a little bit of free time I'm considering taking up the hobby again. My computer needs some upgrading as well as my equipment and I'm so far removed from new tech and all that I started some research.. which led me here (so far). It a big shame that FFB has pretty much died. The G940 could have been AMAZING had Logitech either fixed their firmware *OR* opened it up for the public to fix. It's wonderful hardware (for the most part) incredibly crippled with lazy and faulty firmware. Almost like it was planned to fail from the get-go.

Even with my fixes and their later patches I still wasn't much happy with the performance of my stick. Precision aiming in dog fighting was always a battle, and unfortunately may have been a contributing factor to my losing interest. Throw in lots of overtime at work and a newborn and.. well that's pretty much the last nail in the coffin LOL.

But mostly I just wanted to thank you guys. I often feel unappreciated in a lot of aspects in life, and reading my name being mentioned several years after the fact really made my weekend! Enjoy!

Nice to see you back here, MasterTec. Some time ago I was trying to locate you to get the original photos of your G940 mod. In the end I found a PDF in German that included them. I used your original text and created another PDF with the images. I put it at the disposal of everyone in your original thread, I hope it does not bother you.

http://SimHQ.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/4455204/re-g940-mod-warning-large-pictures#Post4455204

Last edited by Necro; 02/03/19 12:15 PM.

[Linked Image]

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Roy Cross is 100 Years Old
by F4UDash4. 04/23/24 11:22 AM
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.