Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4456803 - 01/10/19 08:41 PM Everytime I play this game I remember why I hate it  
Flogger23m Offline
Flogger23m  Offline

US
Every now and then I give ArmA 3 a go because there aren't any other semi modern realistic shooters out there. And each time I leave entirely disappointed. Too many issues and just outright unfinished features that should have been corrected in ArmA 1. Lets see what happens:

- About half if not more of my deaths are the result of my AI team members shooting me in the back.

- The AI continues to shoot at a target even when they are changing stances, from prone to standing. So if they are shooting and transition to a standing position to shoot at a new target to your right they will continue shooting during the process, muzzle sweep you and empty their magazine into you.

- My entire squad was blown up when an AI team member shot rocket into my back. All eight of us, including himself.

- AI can walk through boulders. Meanwhile the player gets stuck on a 6 inch tall bush. It takes a while to figure out what is happening because your screen is flickering back and fourth rapidly until you manage to look down and figure out a tiny bush is causing your screen to flicker.

- AI can see and track through trees & boulders although you can't. This is very easy to test. Play in any area that has a lot of visual clutter. You'll that the AI has an artificially higher reaction time than what is possible for human players. Reload saves to check this. Last time I tried this I found the enemy. They came from behind a boulder, immediately spotted me, and while only their head & rifle was exposed for under a second managed to pump enough rounds into me to kill me. All the while the line of sight was only around 4-5 feet wide at best due to tree clutter. All in under a second. They spotted me, half my body concealed by another large rock, through cluttered brush & trees and while moving emptied multiple rounds in me with complete precision. How could they spot me so easily? They were practically a spec exposed for half a second at best on my end. Clearly they can see and track through certain objects. You can also see this with the friendly AI as well.

- If you get shot, good luck returning fire at more than 50 meters. Or run low on a bit of stamina without taking damage; good luck landing a shot on a target at that distance. Your arms are flopping all over. Meanwhile you can shoot an enemy 3-4 times, they can get up from prone, start walking, and then shoot and kill you with near complete accuracy with no issue from roughly twice the range. Why is the player such a weakling compared to the AI?

I've long since considered ArmA to be semi realistic but not a tactical shooter because there aren't much tactics used at all due to the non-functional AI command system. But the more I play ArmA 3, the more I realize that you do better playing the game as rambo. I often survive longer without any AI team members following me around (because I'm not shot in the back). I used to add squad members to use as a respawn point but even that is just not worthwhile. You're better off placing a bunch of guys with no squads so they don't follow you around. They work as a more functional, practical respawn point that way.

I really, really wish someone would do some type of infantry combat simulator that wasn't as incompetent as BIS. Because even after years of being in a perpetual alpha ArmA 3 is still garbage. Don't get me started on their crappy DLC such as the Go Karts while the core game is incomplete and utter trash.

Inline advert (2nd and 3rd post)

#4456928 - 01/11/19 06:07 PM Re: Everytime I play this game I remember why I hate it [Re: Flogger23m]  
theOden Offline
theOden  Offline

I'm with you on every single point.

I have since last summer gone back to ArmA2 and while there are still occations of AI crew jumping out of a BMP that got smashed by an AT-4 only to instant head-shot me from 200m with a short barrel AK I have to say the overall experience in A2 outshines A3 by miles.
Not to mention all the nice mods I have in A2 compared to PhysX retarded models in A3.

I can't see ArmA moving in a direction to improve the gameplay for us singleplayer dudes so the least bad is to dig in into ArmA2 and mod the living hell out of it (not for every user, I know but with years of modding and mission writing I sure have a way better time in A2 compared to A3)

Will a possible future ArmA4 give us singleplayers anything? I'd eat my 4 week socks if that happens.

#4456929 - 01/11/19 06:12 PM Re: Everytime I play this game I remember why I hate it [Re: Flogger23m]  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
I play ArmA 3 because of the absolutely great coop multiplayer aspect. Had ArmA 3 been solely a single player game I would have dumped it a long time ago.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4456950 - 01/11/19 10:17 PM Re: Everytime I play this game I remember why I hate it [Re: Flogger23m]  

**DONOTDELETE**
Unregistered
USSCheyenne
Unregistered

Unfortunately Arma 3 is only good as a coop game. Also tried 4-5 times to get into it but just after couple of hours i was done. Really no fun as a single player game. And to think that Operation Flashpoint is one of my favorite single player experience ever. Maybe because it was such a groundbreaking game at the time.

Last edited by USSCheyenne; 01/11/19 10:17 PM.
#4457053 - 01/12/19 08:47 PM Re: Everytime I play this game I remember why I hate it [Re: Flogger23m]  
462cid Offline
462cid  Offline

USA
To play SP you have to make sure to be aware of your AI "friends" field of fire, and crouch. Seems to save me a lot of FAKs.

What kind of car is that? What does it matter? When I drive it, I'm Steve McQueen
#4457110 - 01/13/19 12:29 PM Re: Everytime I play this game I remember why I hate it [Re: ]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by USSCheyenne
Maybe because it was such a groundbreaking game at the time.

This is a huge factor. Gamers forget sometimes that OFP came out 18 years ago. 18 years ago the market was very new and fertile for tactical infantry combat games. This is why the original Hidden & Dangerous was also so groundbreaking and became such a world-wide hit.

After 18 years though, we've had a deluge of other games in the genre and it has become a case of "been there, done that". Then again, there is only so many times you can reinvent the wheel.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4458187 - 01/21/19 07:37 PM Re: Everytime I play this game I remember why I hate it [Re: theOden]  
Flogger23m Offline
Flogger23m  Offline

US
Originally Posted by theOden

Will a possible future ArmA4 give us singleplayers anything? I'd eat my 4 week socks if that happens.

I really hope they do. Every time I play ArmA3 I can't stand the quirks and end up stopping, but I always come back later because there isn't much else out there in terms of realistic shooters. Especially with an SP mode. I hope ArmA4 will be a massive engine and technical jump but I just don't see it happening. The ArmA devs seem content with half finishing the game. I assume it will also be a long, 2-3 year development cycle as well with the initial few years being unfinished. I hope the extra Day Z cash and expansion allows them to do something better but at the same time I don't see them putting more effort into proper infantry combat. If anything, they'll water down the game and cater it closer to the DayZ/Fortnite crowd.

I've also tried crouching or going prone, but I still die more from squad members than enemies. Again, this is because they continue shooting even if changing positions or stance. They don't always do it, but it happens frequently enough to be a huge problem.

#4458270 - 01/22/19 02:25 PM Re: Everytime I play this game I remember why I hate it [Re: Flogger23m]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
A huge reason why a lot of ArmA 3 players heavily mod the game is to modify the behavior of the AI. The stock game simply gives too many handicaps to the AI such as the aforementioned ability to see through foliage and being able to snipe you from 400 meters with one shot.

#4458482 - 01/24/19 07:03 AM Re: Everytime I play this game I remember why I hate it [Re: Flogger23m]  
rollnloop. Offline
rollnloop.  Offline

France
I don't have the problem you mention, while I acknowledge it does exist, it hinders me pretty little.

Using the ingame UI, I modified AI settings so that their dispersion is 4 times more than "laser accurate" and that their "brain" is 50% slower. I always position behind or far on the side of my AI "partners", never taking point.

No "mod AI" involved. They're still stupid, but I can play.

Last edited by rollnloop.; 01/24/19 07:04 AM.
#4458487 - 01/24/19 10:52 AM Re: Everytime I play this game I remember why I hate it [Re: Flogger23m]  
WarTactical Offline
WarTactical  Offline

If you mod the ai with a good ai mod, it will be a whole different experience. Arma 2 has a better ai and that's why I play 2 instead of 3. We still have to use an ai mod, but that is just arma.
But there are some nice ai mods for 3, ASR, GL5, VCOM and so on.

Time is of the essence
#4462661 - 02/23/19 05:16 PM Re: Everytime I play this game I remember why I hate it [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
ricnunes Offline
ricnunes  Offline

Portugal
Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer
Originally Posted by USSCheyenne
Maybe because it was such a groundbreaking game at the time.

This is a huge factor. Gamers forget sometimes that OFP came out 18 years ago. 18 years ago the market was very new and fertile for tactical infantry combat games. This is why the original Hidden & Dangerous was also so groundbreaking and became such a world-wide hit.

After 18 years though, we've had a deluge of other games in the genre and it has become a case of "been there, done that". Then again, there is only so many times you can reinvent the wheel.

That could be indeed a reason why OFP is considered a better (SP) game than ArmA3. However that is definitely not the only or even the main reason. Remember how OFP was better than ArmA1 (Armed Assault) in terms of SP? And how OFP was better than ArmA2 and so on...

For example I remember the following feature of OFP:
- When playing in a tank and sometimes when your tank got hit - specially by a heavy weapon such as an enemy tank gun - and dependently of the damage that your tank receive, one of more crewmember(s) could be killed or otherwise wounded while other crewmen and the tank itself could be unscathed.
The same thing also happened to enemy and/or AI tanks/crew as well. For example, I remember to have shot enemy tanks with RPGs only to have killed the crew and otherwise being able to recover and use a damaged but not destroyed enemy tank.

These are "small examples" of features that OFP had but otherwise lost in all other subsequent and more modern ArmA games.

Moderated by  Meatsheild, RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.