Hop To
#4457949 - 01/19/19 02:47 PM Solo: A Star Wars Story  
PanzerMeyer Online centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
PanzerMeyer  Online Centaurian
Pro-Consul of Florida
King Crimson - SimHQ's Top Poster

Miami, FL USA
I finally watched this last night and right off the bat I will say that the only thing that really stood out to me was Donald Glover’s performance as a young Lando Calirissian. He absolutely nailed the character with all of the mannerisms and speech inflections of Billy D. Williams. The rest of the movie I dare say I found rather average and mostly forgettable. At least right now I have no desire to watch it a second time.

I also don’t know if this has to do with my age but one thing that bugs me about the recent Star Wars movies is how the characters can be in the middle of a serious life threatening situation but they will still crack one liner jokes. It’s just too incongruous for me. The Marvel movies are guilty of this too.

Another surprise for me was that I found Emilia Clarke to be quite “blah” and forgettable in her performance. It just goes to show what a huge impact the script and direction often has on an actor’s performance.

Anyway, I recommend this movie but really only for one viewing. With the exception of Glover’s performance there’s really nothing in it that is worth revisiting.

Last edited by PanzerMeyer; 01/19/19 08:57 PM.

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
Inline advert (4th to 5th topic)

#4457967 - 01/19/19 05:09 PM Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Clydewinder Offline
Mach 2 Infrared Orangutan
Clydewinder  Offline
Mach 2 Infrared Orangutan
Hotshot

New Berlin, WI United States
this movie was weird for me. i just couldnt get into it at all and was really just hoping it would end so i could go home. usually i can find SOMETHING to enjoy in a film but for me this one had nothing. not that it was the worst movie ever but it was so bland and "playing it safe" that there was never any tension or story that the viewer could latch onto.

Last edited by Clydewinder; 01/19/19 05:10 PM.

Robots are stealing my luggage.
#4457988 - 01/19/19 07:53 PM Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
DaBBQ Offline
Bug Stompe....Quisling
DaBBQ  Offline
Bug Stompe....Quisling

Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer
I also don’t know if this has to do with my age but one thing that bugs me about the recent Star Wars movies is how the characters can be in the middle of a serious life threatening situation but they will still crack one liner jokes. It’s just too incongruous for me. The Marvel movies are guilty of this too.

Cracking jokes in life threatening situation has always been there since the beginning of film. Han Solo was always cracking jokes in the original trilogy;

"What a wonderful smell you discovered!"
"And I thought they smelled bad on the outside"
"Hey, it's me!"

#4458137 - 01/21/19 10:01 AM Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
DM Offline
DM  Offline

Prague

In particular it can be traced to the huge success of Guardians Of The Galaxy IMO. Since that movie, SW & Marvel have been trying to lighten their movies with this trend. I don't mind it too much, given that I generally find these movies uninteresting to begin with at least I can occasionally enjoy a one-liner, should I find myself watching one smile

Last edited by DM; 01/21/19 10:01 AM.

"They might look the same, but they don't taste the same."
#4458146 - 01/21/19 01:14 PM Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story [Re: DaBBQ]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by DaBBQ

Cracking jokes in life threatening situation has always been there since the beginning of film. Han Solo was always cracking jokes in the original trilogy;

"Hey, it's me!"

You are absolutely correct with these points. For me the difference is that I was between the ages of 5 and 11 when I watched the original trilogy and I was 46 when I watched Solo. I guess I've become pickier with age. biggrin

“Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”
#4458147 - 01/21/19 01:18 PM Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story [Re: DM]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by DM
SW & Marvel have been trying to lighten their movies with this trend. I don't mind it too much, given that I generally find these movies uninteresting to begin with at least I can occasionally enjoy a one-liner, should I find myself watching one smile

You reminded me about something the Broccoli family mentioned in an interview about why they decided to make the Bond films really dark and serious when they hired Daniel Craig. They mentioned that the mega success of the Austin Powers movies made it impossible for them to make any new Bond films in the same "tongue in cheek" manner which became so prevalent during the Roger Moore era.

#4458148 - 01/21/19 01:19 PM Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
JohnnyChemo Offline
JohnnyChemo  Offline

Buffalo, NY
I finally watched this last night and right off the bat I will say that the only thing that really stood out to me was Donald Glover’s performance as a young Lando Calirissian. He absolutely nailed the character with all of the mannerisms and speech inflections of Billy D. Williams.

I have to agree. It’s on Netflix now and I just got to the part with Lando. I had to double take after I heard his voice because it sounded so much like Billy Dee Williams, and at first glance he even looked a bit like him.

As far as athe one liners go, it’s been goin on in Star Wars since about 1977! There a a number of examples cited above and probably more as well.

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.
This is known as "bad luck.”
-Robert Heinlein
#4458551 - 01/24/19 10:14 PM Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
ArgonV Offline
Hotshot
ArgonV  Offline
Hotshot

College Station, Texas, USA
Personally, tis was one of my favs of the new movies.

"Go Fly A Kite!"
-Jason R.
FS-WWI Project Leader
FS-WWI Plane Pack Site

Intel i9 10900k
Gigabyte Z490 Aorus Elite AC
64GB Corsair DDR4 2933 Vengeance RGB Pro
AMD XFX 7900 XTX Merc310 Black Edition
LG UltraGear 38GN95B-B 38" monitor
Corsair HX1200 PSU
1TB EVO 980 Pro M.2 PCIe x4 SSD
2TB EVO 980 Pro M.2 PCIe x4 SSD
Two 2TB EVO 860 SSDs
Sound Blaster ZxR
Win 10 x64 Pro
HOTAS Cougar #4069 w/Uber II Nxt mod #284 & UTM bushings
#4458741 - 01/26/19 07:47 AM Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Nimits Offline
Hotshot
Nimits  Offline
Hotshot

United States of America
Originally Posted by DaBBQ

"Hey, it's me!"

You are absolutely correct with these points. For me the difference is that I was between the ages of 5 and 11 when I watched the original trilogy and I was 46 when I watched Solo. I guess I've become pickier with age. biggrin

Despite being a bit younger, than you, I did not watch the the complete Original Trilogy till I was in high school . . . I loved that type of dialogue then, and still do now.

#4459156 - 01/29/19 01:37 PM Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
Spidey Offline
Hotshot
Spidey  Offline
Hotshot

Jersey Yo
They should have kept the original directors. They make fun solid movies.

"No power in the 'verse can stop me!!!"
#4460281 - 02/07/19 10:11 AM Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story [Re: PanzerMeyer]  
rollnloop. Online content
rollnloop.  Online Content

France
I had heard and read so much bad of this movie that I came to see it with worst expectations, and then enjoyed it. Not as much as when I was 7 when I saw ep3 of course, but still. It was very hard to be han after harrison, I think it could have been much worse. And lando was great, really. As a bonus, I don't remember much of the story so I'll probably be able to watch it again in a few years xwing biggrin

#4460289 - 02/07/19 11:28 AM Re: Solo: A Star Wars Story [Re: rollnloop.]  
Pro-Consul of Florida
Pro-Consul of Florida

Miami, FL USA
Originally Posted by rollnloop.
And lando was great, really.

Glover stood head and shoulders over every other actor and actress in the cast. He really stole the show.

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Actors portraying US Presidents
by PanzerMeyer. 04/19/24 12:19 PM
Dickey Betts was 80
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/19/24 01:11 AM
Exodus
by RedOneAlpha. 04/18/24 05:46 PM
Grumman Wildcat unique landing gear
by Coot. 04/17/24 03:54 PM
Peter Higgs was 94
by Rick_Rawlings. 04/17/24 12:28 AM
Whitey Herzog was 92
by F4UDash4. 04/16/24 04:41 PM
Anyone can tell me what this is?
by NoFlyBoy. 04/16/24 04:10 PM
10 Years ago MV Sewol
by wormfood. 04/15/24 08:25 PM
Pride Of Jenni race win
by NoFlyBoy. 04/15/24 12:22 AM
It's Friday: grown up humor for the weekend.
by NoFlyBoy. 04/12/24 01:41 PM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.