Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate This Thread
Hop To
#4457803 - 01/18/19 01:05 PM Playing EEAH missions in EECH  
Tango_Sierra Offline
Tango_Sierra  Offline

Ontario, Canada
Hello, new guy here. I had posted this thread over on the GOG.com forums, but there's not much help to be found over there.

I have both games installed, I installed both games into their default directory. I ran EEAH first, then EECH. EECH recognized EEAH when first loaded, and I have access to the EEAH helicopter's. However, I don't have access to EEAH missions-Cuba, Georgia and Thailand.
Is it enough to just copy over the map files from EEAH, into to the EECH directory, and make them available to me? Or do I have to uninstall both games and install EEAH first, then EECH over-top of EEAH?

This is what I wan't to do.
Copy maps folder
C:\GOG Games\Apache vs Havoc\common\maps
to:
C:\GOG Games\Comanche vs Hokum\common\maps

If that will work, should I chose not to overwrite any files with the same filename? EECH is suppose to overwrite the AH files, and not the other way around,correct?

#4457836 - 01/18/19 04:30 PM Re: Playing EEAH missions in EECH [Re: Tango_Sierra]  
Tango_Sierra Offline
Tango_Sierra  Offline

Ontario, Canada
I should also mention that since I just bought this game recently, I have no intention to use the EECH All Mods Installer. I prefer my games not to be modded, unless I've been playing it out of the box for a long period of time.

#4457852 - 01/18/19 06:53 PM Re: Playing EEAH missions in EECH [Re: Tango_Sierra]  
Javelin Offline
Javelin  Offline

Idaho Falls, Idaho USA
You might want to rethink the no-mods policy with EECH. Most of the mods are improved graphics, additional helicopters, working instruments, lots of additional maps and missions, and I added in a mod to fix the hovering controls. The terrain following and auto hover modes are broken in the original game. There is also a spreadsheet that loads on startup that alters some of the weapons capabilities, but it also adds in a ton of new enemy vehicles and scenery items. The missions are harder using the mods, but I personally think the mods really expand the game significantly. Just my opinion. Incidentally, Cuba, Thailand, and Georgia are included in the all-mods package, along with over a dozen additional new maps.

#4457858 - 01/18/19 07:51 PM Re: Playing EEAH missions in EECH [Re: Javelin]  
Tango_Sierra Offline
Tango_Sierra  Offline

Ontario, Canada
By "terrain following", do you mean way point following? I noticed that once you get to way point X, the group just hovers at the location wasting fuel, unless your the group leader yourself. You have to switch over to the group leader and take control of his gunship, then issue the next way point heading yourself.

I've only been playing free flights so far, I wanna get good before attempting the campaigns.

#4457862 - 01/18/19 08:09 PM Re: Playing EEAH missions in EECH [Re: Tango_Sierra]  
Javelin Offline
Javelin  Offline

Idaho Falls, Idaho USA
No, I meant Altitude-Hold "ALT-H", skimming the treetops on auto Altitude Hold like it states in the manual. In the original sim however, the programmers couldn't get it to work right. I'm a mechanical engineer who understands feedback control systems among other things, I fixed it. It works like a real helicopter control system now. It's not quite as advanced as a real Comanche, but it does work like the control system in a Cobra, Apache, or Blackshark.

The other thing I noticed after playing the original for a while was that all of the helicopter types felt the same. A big heavy mi-24 felt exactly the same as a light weight Viper. When I dug into the code I found that all the inertial values for all of the helicopters were exactly the same. The original developers had never quite completed implementing the physics. I found the numbers I needed online, calculated the proper inertial values, and fixed the sim. Now, if you don't mind that everything handles exactly like an Apache, that's fine. Don't bother with my mod, it's no skin off my nose. If it does interest you, the download link is in this thread:
EECH Hover Mods Thread

Last edited by Javelin; 01/18/19 08:15 PM.
#4457868 - 01/18/19 08:23 PM Re: Playing EEAH missions in EECH [Re: Tango_Sierra]  
Tango_Sierra Offline
Tango_Sierra  Offline

Ontario, Canada
I'm not against your mod in any way, I have it downloaded already and backed up to external drives. I like playing through my games the way they were intended first, then try out mods afterwards. As for Altitude hold, that's an autopilot feature, and can be done manually instead, with trim.

#4457872 - 01/18/19 09:47 PM Re: Playing EEAH missions in EECH [Re: Tango_Sierra]  
Javelin Offline
Javelin  Offline

Idaho Falls, Idaho USA
Hi, I was just being cheeky. No offense intended.
No, Altitude Hold is relative to the ground. It uses the RADAR altitude to maintain a height above the ground and adjusts as the ground rises and falls as you go over hills and drop into valleys. It flies nap-of-the-earth, skimming the ground at 50 ft or whatever height you engage it at. Yes, you can rise and dip the helo manually as you fly to skim the ground, but it's a heck of a lot of work. Sometimes you need to pay attention to the threat radar, or need to look at other displays full screen like the targeting camera in the Blackshark. It's nice to have the helo maintain your height above the ground so you don't inadvertently plow into the dirt while aiming or looking back over your shoulder at a pursuer. Real attack helicopters have this feature, so why not use it?

Yes, it does dramatically change the nature of the game. The standard way, your attacks are seat of the pants, no aiming or fiddling with targeting computers. Fly in hot and fast and shoot with little regard. You either do that, or you put the sim into autopilot because you can't aim the targeting systems without taking your eyes off your surroundings. Focusing on targeting and flying at the same time is a sure way to drift into a building or hit a hill. Alt-Hold was actually intended to work in the original game, but the developers screwed it up.

Anyway, Have fun!

Last edited by Javelin; 01/18/19 10:01 PM.
#4457880 - 01/18/19 10:29 PM Re: Playing EEAH missions in EECH [Re: Tango_Sierra]  
Tango_Sierra Offline
Tango_Sierra  Offline

Ontario, Canada
Thanks Javelin I appreciate the work you've done, and look forward to trying out the mod down the road.

#4457960 - 01/19/19 04:52 PM Re: Playing EEAH missions in EECH [Re: Javelin]  
Tango_Sierra Offline
Tango_Sierra  Offline

Ontario, Canada
Is there a mod that fixes just the hover hold issue and nothing else?

Edit: Regarding the first post, I solved my own problem. I made a backup of the EECH directory to my secondary drive before attempting any changes. I then copied over the three map folders from EEAH over the ones in EECH like mentioned. The game said "Apache Hokum installed", or something similar, when I loading up the game. I now have the three missing campaigns to play with in 16:9, vs 640x480 (4:3).
The files in the EEAH maps folders don't actually overwrite anything in the EECH map folders, they only add to them.

I've been switching back and forth between IL-2 Sturmovik: 1946 and EECH lately. wink

Last edited by Tango_Sierra; 01/20/19 01:07 AM.
#4458022 - 01/20/19 01:03 AM Re: Playing EEAH missions in EECH [Re: Tango_Sierra]  
Javelin Offline
Javelin  Offline

Idaho Falls, Idaho USA
The mod fixes the hover and altitude hold functions, and adjusts the physics values.
They go together, the physics values affect the ability to stabilize the control loops for the hover/altitude hold.
It is limited to those items, though.

Last edited by Javelin; 01/20/19 01:16 AM.
#4458025 - 01/20/19 01:10 AM Re: Playing EEAH missions in EECH [Re: Tango_Sierra]  
Tango_Sierra Offline
Tango_Sierra  Offline

Ontario, Canada
But your your mod also up's the system requirements to run the game smoothly, am I right? I don't have the latest and greatest equipment like most people do unfortunately.

#4458029 - 01/20/19 01:27 AM Re: Playing EEAH missions in EECH [Re: Tango_Sierra]  
Javelin Offline
Javelin  Offline

Idaho Falls, Idaho USA
Oh, I see what you mean now. The code base the mod is based on is 1.16.0, sorry about that. So yes, it does include more changes in the code than just mine. And yes, it may require more resources to run than the original code, but only if you install all of the updated 3D models and textures as well. I'm not sure whether it will run separately from the All-Mods install or not, never tried it. No one has ever reported that it doesn't work properly, so either it does work just fine or everyone who's installed it has also done the All-Mods install as well.

Last edited by Javelin; 01/20/19 01:31 AM.
#4458031 - 01/20/19 01:42 AM Re: Playing EEAH missions in EECH [Re: Tango_Sierra]  
Tango_Sierra Offline
Tango_Sierra  Offline

Ontario, Canada
You should try it! There's other strange birds like myself flying about, who would appreciate the fix. smile

#4458035 - 01/20/19 02:04 AM Re: Playing EEAH missions in EECH [Re: Tango_Sierra]  
Javelin Offline
Javelin  Offline

Idaho Falls, Idaho USA
It would require another complete install without All-Mods, which I don't currently have. It would be easier for someone without All-Mods to test it, simply copy the new executable in the zip file next to the original one in the cohokum directory, then run it from there. If it doesn't work properly, delete it. Simple.

Last edited by Javelin; 01/20/19 02:04 AM.
#4458037 - 01/20/19 02:26 AM Re: Playing EEAH missions in EECH [Re: Tango_Sierra]  
Javelin Offline
Javelin  Offline

Idaho Falls, Idaho USA
The problem with making a separate version based on the original code is that I don't have the original code. I just have version 1.16.0 to work with, the most recent GitHub code base.

#4458070 - 01/20/19 03:23 PM Re: Playing EEAH missions in EECH [Re: Tango_Sierra]  
Tango_Sierra Offline
Tango_Sierra  Offline

Ontario, Canada
Here I had thought you were the AllMods creator. When I had said I downloaded your mod, I meant the eech-allmods-1.1.6.0FIX1-installer.exe.

I've have your EECH_Hover.zip file now, and tried it out with the GOG.com version. I ran the executable and an error popped up telling me I needed OpenAL32.dll. So I downloaded the file from dll-files.com and placed it inside the EECH directory, and ran the executable again, and got another error message...

Attached Files cohokum_test10.jpg
#4458077 - 01/20/19 04:43 PM Re: Playing EEAH missions in EECH [Re: Tango_Sierra]  
Javelin Offline
Javelin  Offline

Idaho Falls, Idaho USA
Well, now we know. I would say the hover-mod needs the 1.16.0 allmods upgrade in order to function properly, it looks like sound effects are handled with OpenAL in the newer code. Sorry about that. If you want the Hover controls to work, you'll have to wait until you install the allmods upgrade. I haven't had anyone else comment that the hover-mod hasn't worked, so I think you're in the minority in sticking with the un-modded code. Even individuals with older hardware have upgraded. Your choice, though.

Last edited by Javelin; 01/20/19 04:44 PM.
#4458098 - 01/20/19 08:05 PM Re: Playing EEAH missions in EECH [Re: Javelin]  
Tango_Sierra Offline
Tango_Sierra  Offline

Ontario, Canada
I've been playing around with stable hover hold and seems to working fine. So does Altitude hold, it automatically keeps my gunship at the correct height, making corrections as needed with engine torque, based on the terrain I'm flying over. Adjusting the height with left Alt+J, or left Alt+K does what it's suppose too also.

EDIT: GOG.com's EECH is using EECH Community Release Version 1.11

What's NEW in EECH 1.11.0?

(since version 1.10.2)

Note that some of the changes require use of the new gwut1110.wut file. Change your eech.ini file to use it.
Cockpit/avionics changes
Added support for new Mi-24V 3D cockpit
Added new in-cockpit 'paper map' for Mi-24
Made new HUD sight and backup sight for Mi-24 (use O to switch between main and backup sight)
Added EO view for Mi-24, to simulate co-pilot using the sight. Enable with PgDn key.
Fixed bug in Comanche's engine MFD page (bars were too short)
Fixed bug in Ka-52's EO display when used with mouse. The movement rates were not adjusted for zoom
Fixed bug where next/prev target command didn't work in Mi-24 and Mi-28
Fixed bug where laser would not activate itself in automatic radar/laser mode
Added easter egg to Mi-24 cockpit
Flight model changes
Adjusted flight model for Mi-24. It gives feeling of more weight and inertia. Enable by setting flight_model=2 in eech.ini
Added suspension modelling. Only animated in external view for Mi-24, but physics modelling is included for all main helicopters. Enable by setting flight_model=2 in eech.ini
Adjusted start-up procedure for Mi-24 - timing, throttle response etc.
Rotor brake must be off for engine to start
Only one engine can be started at a time
Enabled adjustment of governor RPM for Mi-24V between 70% and 97%. Use ALT + , and . to adjust.
Adjusted power, weights, and fuel quantities to more real values
Adjustment to trim function. It will now keep current cyclic/pedal values while trim button is held. This can be used to move cyclic/pedals to centre with button held to avoid sudden control input when centre position is moved.
Weapon changes
Changed weapons to use the rate of fire specified in used gwut file
Added weight to Hind-specific weapons (YakB nose gun, Shturm missiles, S-5 rockets). They previously had no weight.
Added capability for Mi-24 to carry UPK-23 gun pods (on two inner most pylons), and Sthurm missiles also on outer wing pylons in addition to wingtips
Mi-24 now has just three rocket salvo settings. Short (2 rockets), medium (4 rockets) and large (10 rockets)
Fixed bug where only one gun sound would be used even if several kind of guns were carried
Added Mi-24's weapons to pilot log statistics
Other changes
Added support for noisemaps for terrain. Increases terrain texture detail. Enable with texture_colour=2 in eech.ini. Requires noisemap files to be installed
EECH now supports custon scenes (created with Firebird's tool) in addition to custom 3D objects
Enabled Mi-24V for free flight missions
mfdexport with color conversion, works now with 32 bit colordepth too(by mue)
Adjustment to AI flight model for a slightly more real look
Added option for disabling text messages (radio message, pause/time acceleration, camera type etc.). disable_text_messages=1 in eech.ini to enable

Last edited by Tango_Sierra; 01/20/19 08:10 PM.

Moderated by  RacerGT 

Quick Search
Recent Articles
Support SimHQ

If you shop on Amazon use this Amazon link to support SimHQ
Social

Recent Topics
Carnival Cruise Ship Fire....... Again
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:58 PM
Baltimore Bridge Collapse
by F4UDash4. 03/26/24 05:51 PM
The Oldest WWII Veterans
by F4UDash4. 03/24/24 09:21 PM
They got fired after this.
by Wigean. 03/20/24 08:19 PM
Grown ups joke time
by NoFlyBoy. 03/18/24 10:34 PM
Anyone Heard from Nimits?
by F4UDash4. 03/18/24 10:01 PM
RIP Gemini/Apollo astronaut Tom Stafford
by semmern. 03/18/24 02:14 PM
10 years after 3/8/2014
by NoFlyBoy. 03/17/24 10:25 AM
Copyright 1997-2016, SimHQ Inc. All Rights Reserved.